: Looking at 2000 with 150000 miles

wifescaddy
12-19-08, 08:07 AM
Im going to look at a 2000 escalade with 150000 miles on it,very clean just higher miles.Ill see how it runs today,he said it runs great.Im a mechanic anyway so ill know.Now i have an extra gm zz4 crate motor with 15000 miles on it that i can always throw in it and i can tune my own pcm too.But im worried about the trans,and rear.I guess my main question is how are the older escalades with higher mileage reliable.
Most likely ill be letting my wife drive the escalade to work only 2 miles away and ill drive her srx to work(70 miles round trip)so mileage isnt a great concern.

ESCALADOR
12-19-08, 08:51 AM
Depending on the price, I would look for something newer with lower miles. There are some good deals on newer model Lades out there now!

shore
12-19-08, 09:33 AM
I had to trade my 99 Denali to get rid of it.It had all the right stuff and was unreal clean.It also had 132k on it.While it ran good it was down on power.I never had a issue with the tranny "yet".I did have the slipping yoke syndrom but just delt with it.The AC crapped out 2 or 3 times and it was expensive to fix.The rear AC line that goes under the passeneger footwell is a GM issue spot.It rubs the frame and leaks.Not cheap.The intake gaskets are a 100% failure on these.

That being said she never left me anywhere in 5yrs.I coudn't get $6k out of it 6mths ago.They are about worthless now.I'd say if you are paying more than $3k for it it is too much.

wifescaddy
12-19-08, 11:21 AM
alright ,power wise thats why i was gone to put the zz4 motor in it to get it back up.And its not costing me anything really cause itll be even trade.Ill have to think about it some more now.I have a 2001 yukon to go look at also,might go for that instead.at least thats got a 5.3 and i have an extra motor for that too,lol.

shore
12-19-08, 01:11 PM
I would certainly step-up to the NBS Yukon over the OBS Escalade.Mucho difference.

obxdiver
12-19-08, 03:14 PM
I had to trade my 99 Denali to get rid of it.It had all the right stuff and was unreal clean.It also had 132k on it.While it ran good it was down on power.I never had a issue with the tranny "yet".I did have the slipping yoke syndrom but just delt with it.The AC crapped out 2 or 3 times and it was expensive to fix.The rear AC line that goes under the passeneger footwell is a GM issue spot.It rubs the frame and leaks.Not cheap.The intake gaskets are a 100% failure on these.

That being said she never left me anywhere in 5yrs.I coudn't get $6k out of it 6mths ago.They are about worthless now.I'd say if you are paying more than $3k for it it is too much.

That hurts me to read.
I happen to now have my old 99 Denali for sale since I just bought the 05 Escalade ESV.
I have it on Ebay Motors and Craig's List.
Here is a link
1999 Yukon Denali (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320326106271&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT&viewitem=)

It appears I have it way over priced.

shore
12-19-08, 04:23 PM
Take a trade for it....you might get fortunate and find someone that wants a bigger SUV for a smaller car(read more value).

It works trust me.

china99
12-21-08, 12:28 AM
I honestly wouldn't want a 2000 escalade, especially with that many miles on it.
You're never going to be able to get rid of it when you want something else. You can fix it yourself when there's a problem, but you're still going to have to buy the parts.

I would look into something newer with fewer miles on it.

silversport
12-24-08, 10:47 AM
...unless the price is right...I really enjoy my 2000 Escalade...last of the OBS that GM made forever...it does have some issues but you're a mechanic and that should help...good luck with your choice...
Bill

luxurylife33
12-25-08, 02:24 AM
i paid 4900$ for a 1999 escalade a while ago, what a piece of shit that car was. The rear end made noise, the a/c never worked, the heated seats worked whenever they wanted to, the speakers craped out, the tranny was slipping, i had to get the pitman arm on the steering rack changed, thermostat seized, all this in a matter of 3 months. i got rid of it as fast as i could.

i told myself ill never get an escalade again, but 9 months later i bought an 04 EXT and im in love with it. those 1999-2000 models give the escalade a badddddddddddddd rap.

96Fleetwood
12-25-08, 08:41 AM
The 5.7 liter Vortec is a reliable motor, just watch the intake manifold gasket as others have mentioned.

My '96 Tahoe has 148K on the body but had the motor, tranny, and rear end rebuilt at 114K. The only reason the motor was rebuilt was to add the supercharger and the rear end was beefed up. The tranny was toast at 114K.

I have been offered $6,500 for my Tahoe, but that might be because it has $15K in mods.

Does the owner of that Escalade have any service records? Was the intake and injectors done already? Set some money aside for a new tranny.

silversport
12-25-08, 09:29 AM
there is nothing wrong with the 1999-2000 Escalade (Tahoe, Yukon, Denali) if it was taken care of...sorry for your troubles but yours was just beat...my 2000 was bought to be my Winter vehicle and it is so nice I drive it more often than that...I agree that the newer ones ride better and time marches on but so do the prices...that said...this is probably a decent time (would have been better when gasoline was $4+ a gallon) to buy with this economy...enjoy and good luck...Merry Christmas...
Bill