: Weird stuff your car does when its freezing outside.

Jesda
12-18-08, 01:09 PM
The stereo will turn on to AM by default. Only after waiting 2-3 minutes does it allow me to use CD and FM. Sometimes it flashes "CHRYSLER" over and over while it reboots.

The Range Rover once jumped -- literally, the front air suspension suddenly shot up an inch -- after I hit the unlock button on the key fob on a miserably cold day. It was as if it was startled from hibernation.

billc83
12-18-08, 02:43 PM
Sometimes, when it's really cold outside, if I hit the brakes, the car will SKID! I even lost control a few times. Thankfully this unexplained loss of control never caused any accidents.

Oh, and sometimes the DIC reads "ICE POSSIBLE." But since I set the temperate to about 90 degrees, I don't see how ice could form inside the cabin...

EcSTSatic
12-18-08, 02:50 PM
It happens! :cool: Brrrrr

http://www.guzer.com/pictures/forzen_car.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-18-08, 03:17 PM
If it's less than -5* out, my BAS/ASR light will stay illuminated when first driven in the morning, all the way until I get to my first destination. But as soon as I get back in it and restart it, the light is off. But the traction control and ABS always work fine, so I don't worry. When it's below about 15* out, it will default to defrost mode when I accelerate at all, that also will go away after I restart my car.

ryannel2003
12-18-08, 03:32 PM
My car absolutely hates the cold weather. When you get in on a cold morning and put it in reverse, the car jerks forward pretty hard; that stupid fan on the left side of the dash (actuator fan I think) groans more than a saturday night whore. Also, the front suspension likes to creak and groan as well. The security light also shows up more frequently when its cold.

Oh the pleasure of Seville ownership.

Coma
12-18-08, 03:42 PM
My old '99 Monte Carlo used to never unlock the driver's side door, only the passenger door. Had to climb in that side. Whenever it was over 25F both would unlock just fine...

Night Wolf
12-18-08, 04:06 PM
Freezing... like actually 32* F or less?

It was/is 80* today... tho it got really cold and dipped into the lower 40's, maybe even high 30's last week.... it's going to get even colder though, Jan and Feb are the coldest months here...

I can't think of anything odd off the top of my head other then on both the BMW and Isuzu they are just a tad bit tougher to get into gear on a cold start in the morning, but thats to be expected.

Coma
12-18-08, 04:10 PM
Hold Alt and type 1 6 7 on your number pad. You will be surprised.

ted tcb
12-18-08, 10:24 PM
My 98 Maxima will ocassionally lock and unlock when I approach it on a cold morning ... likely need a new fob battery.
My daughter told me the power window was broken on the passenger side last night ... I laughed as I reached over and
flicked off the "window lock" button ... she had driven for two days with the window half down in 25f weather.
Regulators don't tend to fail on 11 yr old Maximas ... its not a DTS.
Now, knock sensors and side airbag warning lights, that's a whole different story on old Maximas.

The Lexus ES300 ... 9 yrs young, 95k, and not a single issue ... sometimes the stability system gets pissed at me when
I do doughnuts in an empty, icy parking lot, but that's about it.

My wife's Mazda3 also has no issues. All 3 cars have 4 snows on them, but the Mazda seems really tinny in the cold
weather ... feels like it will ice up and crack in two. Not my favourite car in the garage, but its an ok grocery getter.

I agree with Ryan ... my STS' hated the cold, lots of groaning and glitches on cold days.

eyekandyboats.inc
12-18-08, 10:46 PM
your cars must like it up here at all......
i bought my 1994 ETC from california and it has never been winter driven until like 2001 and by then nothing weird happened.
its -14 out right now and i could start any one of my cars and drive off. winter time is just a temperature

gary88
12-18-08, 11:36 PM
My Seville is pretty rough for the first two or so minutes when it's ice cold. Feels like the 65mph+ shake but at normal road speeds. Not as bad on the Escalade, but it shifts harder than usual and takes longer to get to normal operating temp than the Seville. After they warm up though they perform like champs in the cold.

MauiV
12-18-08, 11:52 PM
Since the Maggie and LS7 clutch install I have to let the car warm up pretty good. Pulling out into traffic cold is not an option.

Aron9000
12-19-08, 12:37 AM
The driver's side seat squeaks unless you push on the recline button a little bit. When its a cold start on the motor, you have to hold the key forever and it cranks usually for 2-4 seconds. I've been told that is normal for any Chevy 350 TBI motor though. Kind of starts up like an old carbed car, except you don't touch the gas.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
12-19-08, 02:08 AM
My Fleetwood used to piss me off in the cold. Not a single thing works in that car when its cold out. The Digi-dash is very slow to respond and it takes a few seconds for it to change numbers. The buttons on the climate control never worked until it sat for about a minute. My air director doors are vacuum powered and when it moves from floor to vent it sounds like the car is taking a massive dump while farting at the same time. Every person who gets in that car bursts out laughing when it does it. Thats all good now because it is in storage this winter.

My truck on the other hand is also quite quirky. When I start it in the morning it sounds like it is cammed and idles like a cammed engine, but it never dies and it goes away after about 15 seconds. With the nasty weather we have had so far (lots of freezing rain and sub zero temps) I have found the the trans likes to freeze itself in gear and I cannot get it into neutral in the morning.

The thing that annoys me the most though is the damn speedo. I will start off fine and it works perfectly until about 35 mph. Then the needle shakes a bunch, it makes a whole lot of odd noises and then proceeds to peg itself at 110 and stay there until I go back below 35. WTF? After it warms up it works just fine.

slk230mb
12-19-08, 09:05 AM
When my dad had his 1995 Suburban with the 6.5L Turbo Diesel, it needed the dipstick oil heater plugged in or you were going to drag out the jumper cables to get it started. Once it got started though, it ran like a champ. The Escalade takes a little longer to shift into drive when it's cold, but that's about it.

dkozloski
12-19-08, 09:21 AM
My '06 AWD STS operates perfectly down to -57F. It starts every time and runs smoothly. No glitches.

The Tony Show
12-19-08, 09:34 AM
My 05 STS Navigation screen was so dim it was unreadable in cold weather. Only after about 5 minutes of driving was it legible- probably had something to do with the cold affecting the LCD screen.

Kick94sts
12-19-08, 02:20 PM
anything below 10* and it has a tough time starting after left outside for more than 5 or so hours (school)

Red_October_7000
12-19-08, 03:12 PM
The windows on mine are very reluctant to move (see thread "I think I did the bad thing") and the motor sounds like a diesel for a few minutes until it warms up. Aside from that it's O.K...

N0DIH
12-19-08, 03:32 PM
I have destroyed 2 supercharger belt pulleys now in the subzero cold.... Going metal now, forget that plastic! Bearing seized and obliterated the pulley.

No bad manners in my 94 FW, 99 Suburban or 00 Park Ave. Suspension gets stiff, shock oil doesn't move well, FW is most susceptible to that.

My 301 Turbo when cold was a flat out rocket.... I could run a lot more timing and it ran great.

N0DIH
12-19-08, 03:35 PM
What year? Probably by design, GM does have cold manners added....

When my dad had his 1995 Suburban with the 6.5L Turbo Diesel, it needed the dipstick oil heater plugged in or you were going to drag out the jumper cables to get it started. Once it got started though, it ran like a champ. The Escalade takes a little longer to shift into drive when it's cold, but that's about it.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
12-19-08, 06:29 PM
99 Seville STS:

Climate system resets itself to 75degF both sides when you crank the engine (the climate display goes very bright for a fraction of a second before blanking out when you crank it). I suspect the battery although it's always done it...

Heater blower on passenger side tends to sound like it's grinding when cold.

Power steering pump/belt squeaks when cold.

The existing slight misfire gets worse when cold.

Car shifts VERY hard into drive or reverse, then again does that when it's warm too...

tman2093
12-19-08, 06:34 PM
MY 99 STS is fin in the cold, with the exception of a groaning noise in the teens that sounds liek its coming form the left side of the IP. Is this the fan you speak of Ryan?

slk230mb
12-19-08, 08:36 PM
What year? Probably by design, GM does have cold manners added....

The Suburban was a 95, Escalade is an 02.

Submariner409
12-19-08, 08:52 PM
tman, Probably the aspirator fan. Its actually a small 12V computer muffin fan. Pull the little grille off with a paper clip hook and start the car. Blow out the tunnel with a computer compressed air can. Be careful of the little thermistor just inside the opening.

If that doesn't work, remove the sensor by pulling the end off the instrument dash panel....the one with the window rubber coupler in it. Just stick your finger in and yank it off. Look in the passage after removing the vent tube and you'll see a single small bolt head in there........loosen it and finish removal with spring fingers. Fish the connector out first, then the sensor board. Remove the label on the fan and get to the center sleeve bearing. ONE drop of oil. Replace the label or another piece of tape. Fish it all back together.

More posts and pictures in Seville a year and a half ago....

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-19-08, 11:13 PM
The driver's side seat squeaks unless you push on the recline button a little bit. When its a cold start on the motor, you have to hold the key forever and it cranks usually for 2-4 seconds. I've been told that is normal for any Chevy 350 TBI motor though. Kind of starts up like an old carbed car, except you don't touch the gas.

The TBI Chev motors always need more cranking time before they fire, warm or cold. That's one of the reasons I love 'em though. I love how they sound when they crank over, plus you know it's always gonna start, so it's like it makes the cool cranking sounds of the carb'd cars, but has the reliability of the modern EFI ones.

Ahh, the old 6.5L turbo diesel, what a beast! Sometime in the winter of '06-'07, we had one of those in at work, I can't remember what for, but the customer declined the repair, and he picked it up on a Saturday that I was working, and I had to go into the back lot and pull it up front for him. Well it was maybe 10* above, so it was quite cold for a diesel. Anyways, I went to start it, waited for the "wait to start" light to go off, and it cranked and cranked but nothing, so I got my boss to help me, and we went out there with the jumpbox, attached it to one of the batteries (it had two) and still it wouldn't start...just cranks like hell. So we grabbed the bigger jumpbox, attached it to the other battery, and cranked the hell out of it and finally got that sumbitch started. And BOY for black smoke out of the tail pipe...holy shit!! I never saw an unmodified diesel smoke so bad in my life.

The windows on mine are very reluctant to move (see thread "I think I did the bad thing") and the motor sounds like a diesel for a few minutes until it warms up. Aside from that it's O.K...

All Vortec V8s sound like ass when cold...its because the lifters are starved of oil after sitting for a while and it takes the oil pump a long time to get it up there. Nothing you can do to fix it though, and I remember vehicles with less than 40k miles having that same problem when I worked at Chev.

The windows on my Mercedes are very reluctant to move also when it's cold out. I've gotta point my vents at 'em to get 'em to free up.

tman2093
12-19-08, 11:45 PM
tman, Probably the aspirator fan. Its actually a small 12V computer muffin fan. Pull the little grille off with a paper clip hook and start the car. Blow out the tunnel with a computer compressed air can. Be careful of the little thermistor just inside the opening.

If that doesn't work, remove the sensor by pulling the end off the instrument dash panel....the one with the window rubber coupler in it. Just stick your finger in and yank it off. Look in the passage after removing the vent tube and you'll see a single small bolt head in there........loosen it and finish removal with spring fingers. Fish the connector out first, then the sensor board. Remove the label on the fan and get to the center sleeve bearing. ONE drop of oil. Replace the label or another piece of tape. Fish it all back together.

More posts and pictures in Seville a year and a half ago....

Thats what she said!

Pics for aspirator fan removal: http://gallery.iametarq.com:8080/cars/cadillac%201998%20seville%20sls/hvac/cabin%20air%20sensor/

I'll pull it out and oil that fan tomorrow, I'll love to have that fixed! Thanks Sub!

Ranger
12-19-08, 11:55 PM
No problems here in the cold. She seems to operate just fine.

slk230mb
12-20-08, 01:06 PM
Ahh, the old 6.5L turbo diesel, what a beast! Sometime in the winter of '06-'07, we had one of those in at work, I can't remember what for, but the customer declined the repair, and he picked it up on a Saturday that I was working, and I had to go into the back lot and pull it up front for him. Well it was maybe 10* above, so it was quite cold for a diesel. Anyways, I went to start it, waited for the "wait to start" light to go off, and it cranked and cranked but nothing, so I got my boss to help me, and we went out there with the jumpbox, attached it to one of the batteries (it had two) and still it wouldn't start...just cranks like hell. So we grabbed the bigger jumpbox, attached it to the other battery, and cranked the hell out of it and finally got that sumbitch started. And BOY for black smoke out of the tail pipe...holy shit!! I never saw an unmodified diesel smoke so bad in my life.

You pretty much described every very cold winter day of my life from 2000-2006 :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-20-08, 10:10 PM
Did yours have bad glow plugs?

slk230mb
12-21-08, 08:48 AM

We changed them with the engine in 2001 when an oil line broke and the bottom end blew up. The new ones made it slightly easier to start, still a bitch on cold days. They also cut back on the ungodly amount of black smoke too.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-21-08, 11:31 AM
They also cut back on the ungodly amount of black smoke too.

Well that's no fun. Black smoke is half the fun of the diesel. The other half being the turbo whistle.

Aron9000
12-22-08, 02:04 AM

My cousin had a 1995 3/4 ton diesel truck. It had the same 6.5 V8, with bad glow plugs.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
12-22-08, 02:20 AM
The windows on my Mercedes are very reluctant to move also when it's cold out. I've gotta point my vents at 'em to get 'em to free up.

You mean the vents don't move themselves? What kind of garbage is that? :thepan:

Jesda
12-22-08, 03:52 AM
It hit 4F today.

1) Seville's wiper arm bolt got stripped.
2) Seville's blower control module went kaput, ran down the battery because the blower was stuck on.
3) Crossfire's battery decided it didn't have the will to crank.

I'm getting cabin fever from being stuck indoors.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-22-08, 01:45 PM
I'm getting cabin fever from being stuck indoors.

Same here. On Saturday, due to snowfall and wind conditions, I didn't drive anywhere. I finally left the house at about 6:30 to go help a friend shovel out the driveway in front of his house. Of course, I'm not gonna drive over to his place to help him shovel out his driveway, so I had him pick me up in his '01 Cherokee, which as expected, turned out to be a beast in the snow. I envy his 4x4. It almost makes me wish I bought an A8 over the S Class....Almost...

Oh, another goofy thing my car does when it's cold outside: The power antenna doesn't lower it's self all the way, when it's below about 5* out, so I've got this goofy looking stub of an antenna sticking out about eight inches above my trunklid.

N0DIH
12-22-08, 02:23 PM
My 00 Park Ave Ultra security light comes on and stays on at -10F.....
Level Ride is stuck where it is cranked way up, not sure if ice got up in the switch or what. Trying to find fuse to yank.....

N0DIH
12-22-08, 03:20 PM
My 99 454 K2500 Burb is a bit creaky when cold, but doesn't last long and is very good when very cold. I guess sloppy tolerances have advantages in extreme temps....

C0RSA1R
12-23-08, 01:13 AM
Amazingly, my 1989 Buick Century absolutely LOVED cold weather. The colder the better (within reason, I suppose - this is NY, not Ice Station Zebra . . .), and the car never once complained about it. Always a few, I guess.

DopeStar 156
12-23-08, 01:28 AM
This stuff all happens on my '99 Taurus.
-The passenger side door gets stuck unlatched and won't close right.
-The Service Engine Soon light likes to come on. (Lean code banks 1 and 2, looking into it)
-My tape player constantly spits my adapter out.
-Auto down driver's window stops three times while dropping.