: New member

Elvis
01-19-03, 05:53 PM
Well, I don't own a Caddy yet, but I'm seriously considering it next time around. That's why I'm here--research.

When I was a kid we always had GM cars. Pontiacs, then Oldsmobiles, and then Cadillacs. 77 SDV, 79 ElD, 81 CDV, 82 ElD, 84 SDV. Great cars, but when the FWD models started coming out, Dad decided he was going to try something different. He's had two Suburbans, a Jimmy, and now an Envoy since then, and he's hanging on to his '94 Mercedes 420 to take care of his luxury car needs.

My own experience had been a mixed bag of Ford and Oldsmobile until I discovered Acura. I've had an '87 Legend, a '90 Legend, a '97 3.5RL, and now I'm driving a '00 Honda Prelude, which is dollar for dollar the best-engineered car I've ever owned.

But it's kinda small, and I'm getting over this premature mid-life crisis that had me wanting a little rice-rocket. I've learned my lesson--there IS no replacement for displacement. Although my little rice rocket does have 200HP and gets 27 MPG, I want TORQUE! And then theres the patriotism thing. I'm going to give American cars another chance. What better place to start than the standard bearer of the world?

For the past year I've been watching eBay and the local ads looking for a '77-'79 CdV to use as a project car, something to play with. But I haven't had a whole lot of luck under $2500. Maybe someday I'll get one, but right now I'm thinking '00 - '02 STS to use as a daily driver for the next 4 years or so.

I've had a ball with my Prelude for the last three years. I put a CAI and under-drive pulleys on it. It's been on Mobil 1 since about 9000 miles, and it rides surprisingly well for being such a small car. I added leather, wood trim, air horns, foglights, a rear-window shade and--the best part--a Pioneer stereo system that has cassette, 12-disc changer, and XM radio. It doesn't look ricey at all, just shiny and black. Yesterday it passed the 35000 mark. Somebody's going to get a great car when I decide to sell.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid47/pd797231138b0e9f2cebc4085b266b95d/fcc1c5dd.jpg

davids78bronco
01-19-03, 11:33 PM
Exactly why I'm here too - research. I've got my eye on a '76 Caddy with a 500 as an engine donor for my Dodge. Best I can tell, it's got 8.5:1 compression, 190hp and 360lb/ft of torque. HP #s are weak, but the torque #s are promising. Understandably, this was all due to emissions choking off the engine.

One thing I haven't been able to find out was, which model cars/years had the FWD tranny, and which had the RWD tranny. I'm also looking for information on increasing overall power with simple bolt-ons for now, then eventually going for a total performance upgrade

BeelzeBob
01-20-03, 01:09 AM
Well. Here's an offical "welcome!" to both of you. Welcome! :) Just browse around and you'll find answers to all your questions. Or, just ask in the appropriate forum and you should have an answer in no time..

Thanks for signing up!

Elvis
01-20-03, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by davids78bronco
One thing I haven't been able to find out was, which model cars/years had the FWD tranny, and which had the RWD tranny.

Eldorados from about 74-76 (maybe even earlier) had the 500 and were FWD. Everything else in that time frame was RWD 500. From what I understand, the 472 is the same block as the 500 with a smaller bore. I think that the 425 used from 77-79 in the DeVille's is also the same block.

Don't be fooled by the numbers, I've read a lot of opinions that the 425 and 472 are just as good as a 500, if not better.

Mad'lac
01-20-03, 10:03 AM
Here is what I know.

70-76 Eldorado came with the 500
All 75-76 Cadillacs came with the 500
All Cadillacs from 70-74 came with the 472 (except the Eldorado)
I think the Eldorado were the only FWD Cadillacs from this era. But I may be wrong about that.

caddydaddy
01-20-03, 12:31 PM
That is correct! But don't forget about the 68 and 69's with the 472's! All Cadillacs used the 472 those years.

davids78bronco
01-20-03, 01:55 PM
ok, this is great. Because the car is a DeVille. Good news for me, as this is exactly what I want. Eventually, I do have plans on looking for an Eldo(now that I know this is the only one with the FWD) for a dune buggy project *evil grin goes here*

Mad'lac
01-20-03, 03:35 PM
once you take all the smog junk off on the '76 the HP will go up quite a bit. Also the torque :D