: Power Seat Compatibility

SilkyBrown
12-18-08, 08:55 AM
I'm currently undergoing a custom project on my 1970 Deville Convertible. I just bought a set of 2002 DHS Seats front and back which i will be swaping in my 70'.

My question is. When i take the seats out of the DHS, will i be able to control the power recline to adjust the heights after they have been removed from the car, via some other power source not in a vehicle.

My 1970 Deville obvioustly doesnt have any electronic cababilities so this task seems to be a difficult one. Will i be able to customize my 1970 Convertible to eventually power the seats? or is not doable because of the age.

If it is possible to upgrade my 1970 to power the seats. What will i need to buy to accomplish this? Power source wise? Wiring etc. If you could include prices that would be great aswell.

The reason i'm asking is because when i put the seats in the oldschool i dont want to get stuck with my chin on the steering wheel. I like driving with a nice cadillac lean. If the 70 cannot power the seats, Would it be possible for someone to pre-set the heights and leans before i put the seats into the 70'

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

gdorell
12-18-08, 11:24 AM
all you really should need for those seats is power and a ground to operate them. there should be a wiring harness plug under the seats. you can run the wires under the carpet to the seats from the battery

SilkyBrown
12-18-08, 11:35 AM
all you really should need for those seats is power and a ground to operate them. there should be a wiring harness plug under the seats. you can run the wires under the carpet to the seats from the battery

Now are you refering to the wiring harness under the seat of the DHS or the 1970 Deville ? Because i know that my 70' does have power front bench. Would that old 1970 Wiring harness plug right into the 2002 Seats is my question. I'm assuming the connector or wiring harness will be different.

Thx for the reply

gdorell
12-18-08, 11:56 AM
yes they will be completely different harness and connector. but since your 70 has a power bench already it saves you from having to run the wires. under the 02 seats will be a plug not sure how many wires will be in it (i personally am not familiar with those year seats. whether the controls are on the seat or remotely located on the door). if the controls for the seat are on the seat itself then your plug should only have a few wires in it. you can cut the connectors off (from both the 02 seats and the 70 car) then splice together the power and ground wires.

SilkyBrown
12-18-08, 12:43 PM
yes they will be completely different harness and connector. but since your 70 has a power bench already it saves you from having to run the wires. under the 02 seats will be a plug not sure how many wires will be in it (i personally am not familiar with those year seats. whether the controls are on the seat or remotely located on the door). if the controls for the seat are on the seat itself then your plug should only have a few wires in it. you can cut the connectors off (from both the 02 seats and the 70 car) then splice together the power and ground wires.

Ah i see.. Makes alotta sence.. I figured an electrician would just splice the wires together! Thanks alot for the advice.. eases my mind knowing thats its not gonna be impossible! 1 more thing just incase you know the answer to this question aswell.

When removing the 2002 DHS Seats, in order to put them in the 70' i will need to have someone custom fabricate some tracks and mounts so that the seats will hold firm. Should i also take the 2002 DHS Seat Tracks and mounts from the car aswell? Will they help the seats fit? U think the custom shop will be able to use them to help fit the seats in the 70' ? Is it easy to remove the tracks and mounts from the new 2002 DHS? Or should i just take the seats and let the custom shop worry about custom fabricating some new tracks and mounts??

The reason i ask this is because most garages are turning me down when i ask them if they can do the seat swap.. They all tell me its against their policy because they can potentially get sued if i'm injured as a result of the seats.

You've been a great help to me gdorell thanks alot! I'll post up some pics of the finished product when im finished!

gdorell
12-18-08, 04:19 PM
yeah most shops will not do it. but its not impossible. you will want to unbolt the seat from the floor. keeping the seat/mount/tracks all together. you will need modify the original mounts to fit the floor pans on your 70....to fit all the curves/bumps and mounting bolt holes.