: TCC Solenoid - Please Help!!

rjs94greensts
12-17-08, 11:50 PM
94 STS - 248,000+ - Problem with the tranny hitting 45mph and disengaging, like it's in neutral. Have good 1st & 2nd gears. Will shift thru all gears until 45 and then nothing but revvs! Everything I'm reading tells me tcc solenoid. Called around to find the solenoid but can't find just that part. Dealership tells me I have the 4L80E tranny according to VIN and the only way I can get the solenoid is with valve body attached. GM Parts Direct has it for $333. Part# 24233895. I just dropped $250 into it because I was getting the input shaft speed sensor code...had it replaced (great deal on the labor :D), only to find that it didn't fix the issue. After doing some more research again, discovered the tcc solenoid posts. If I had known that, I would have replaced that as well while he was in there, but, now I'm double dipping :banghead: on labor. I only want to have to pay him once more to go in and fix it this time and need to know where I can get just that frickin' solenoid. Everybody says it's a $40-50 part but I'll be damned if I can find it. PLEASE HELP!! I don't want to have to buy the whole valve body kit if I can just get the solenoid. And I only want to have him go in once more to fix the ole' gal and get er back on the road! Can anyone tell me if it really is the tcc solenoid that will fix this issue and can I just get the solenoid or am I screwed into getting the whole kit? PLEASE AND THANKS!!

97EldoCoupe
12-18-08, 06:31 AM
www.rockauto.com part number 24227792 under "Transmission" and then "Solenoid"

ACDELCO Part # 24227792
VALVE,TCC PWM SOL w/4-SPD AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION(MH1)

It's easy to get at, once that transmission side-pan can be removed. Which means lowering the subframe.

I very much doubt that's your only issue because usually the TCC solenoid will just prevent the converter clutch from locking up at cruising speed. I'm no tranny expert by any means (engines are my specialty) but I'd say your 4th gear is slipping- the band is probably worn out. Hopefully someone with more transmission experience will respond. When I get a chance I'll go through the GM training for 4T80 overhauls and procedures. I've stripped a 4T80 completely apart and also changed various solenoids, etc. but never got into the full rebuild.

Ranger
12-18-08, 02:43 PM
That is definitely not a TCC symptom. Not sure what the problem is, but it is not the TCC solenoid.

rjs94greensts
12-18-08, 03:42 PM
97Eldo~ It looks like it cut off some of your message but I had it in email: I've got a good tranny from a '96 STS - how far into Michigan are you? I'm in SW michigan, just north of Kalamazoo. Will the '96 work with my motor. After some reading, it looks like there could be issues with different tranny's and motors not working well with each other. This is definitely a thought if the tcc is not the cause of this issue. If I've got to rebuild the tranny, that would suck. Might as well look to replace it. Could be cheaper. What would you be looking to get for that '96? Thanks

rjs94greensts
12-18-08, 03:49 PM
That is definitely not a TCC symptom. Not sure what the problem is, but it is not the TCC solenoid.
OK...the more replies like this I get, the more it tells me I'm into this for more than I might want to be. Logically, it makes sense that the torque converter clutch is disengaging once I hit that speed...just like I'm in neutral...and doesn't re-engage until I'm slow enough for it pick up 2nd gear. If I put it in 2nd gear on the selector, it'll run there strong. It will shift into drive if going slow and stay there if I want to run 35mph all day long, but the minute I speed up, a revving I will go. So, if anyone's got any other idears, I'm open to suggestion. Could very well be a rebuild or working tranny is in order. Thanks to all who take the time to reply. :)

rjs94greensts
12-18-08, 03:55 PM
www.rockauto.com part number 24227792 under "Transmission" and then "Solenoid"

ACDELCO Part # 24227792
VALVE,TCC PWM SOL w/4-SPD AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION(MH1)

BTW...thank you for the reply and part #. I will put this in the file for future reference. I did reply to you earlier. Hopefully, that appears on here soon. I'm in SW michigan, just north of Kalamazoo. Thanks!

Ranger
12-18-08, 06:30 PM
Logically, it makes sense that the torque converter clutch is disengaging once I hit that speed...just like I'm in neutral.
That's not the TCC. The TCC locks the converter to the engine at 41 MPH to eliminate slippage and improve fuel mileage. Your problem might be the converter itself, but I'm not sure.

Submariner409
12-18-08, 07:44 PM
Ranger is correct: The TCC system removes the last tad of (fluid) slippage between the stator and rotor in the Torque Convertor. Many 4T80E (not yours, I understand yours is the earlier model) develop a TCC fault/code which technically means that the transmission never "locks up" so the car runs down the highway at 2,500 rpm at 60 instead of 2,150. TCC essentially gives the car a "5th" gear, although not as steep a ratio as a mechanical gear change, in that the function locks the transmission (not the final drive) at 1:1 output. A true overdrive gear (5th, 6th, whatever) would set the final transmission output at around 0.8:1. (Don't quote me on the absolute drive or gear ratios.......we're talking principle, not fact)

Long-winded, but your 4th speed clutch pack/engagement pressure is out of whack, not the TCC.

You might want your mechanic to find GM TSB 00-07-30-0220, of 080610, 4L60/65E, no 4th gear.

rjs94greensts
12-18-08, 10:22 PM
Long-winded, but your 4th speed clutch pack/engagement pressure is out of whack, not the TCC.

You might want your mechanic to find GM TSB 00-07-30-0220, of 080610, 4L60/65E, no 4th gear.

Submariner~Thank you for the technical explanation. I'm not a real motorhead, but I understand what you said. Thank you for the lookup and I'll pass that along. It looks like it's a big job no matter how I go about it.

97EldoCoupe
12-19-08, 10:16 AM
Hey RJS94, I have a transmission from a 96 STS and a 97 STS. Both worked great, one has 90,000miles on it, and the other has around 150,000 miles. $450 (Canadian Dollars) per transmission and it includes:

-new filters
-new driveshaft seals and torque converter seal
-new TCC solenoid already installed (because they all develop problems I figure it's better to sell the transmissions with new ones)
-basic inspection while the pan is removed for transmission wear and fluid color

Let me know if you're interested, it'll have to be after the holidays- I'm swamped right now and won't have time to pull the trans until the beginning of January. I'm about 2 1/2 hours from Detroit, or 2 hours if you're driving a N* powered car :)

[NortHStaR]
12-19-08, 11:28 AM
I had the same problem with my 96 Oldsmobile Cierra (4T80-E), it ended up being a stickey valve. I just serviced the trasmission, and got some transmission oil from NAPA that came in a small bottle that looked like 2 stroke oil (if i find the bottle ill post the name).

It doesnt cost much to do and its less time consuming. So its worth a try!

97EldoCoupe
12-19-08, 01:32 PM
You mean AURORA, right? The Cutlass Ciera would have had either the 4T40 or 4T60 line of transmissions. The 4T80-E was reserved for the Northstar line, including the Aurora 4.0.

[NortHStaR]
12-21-08, 12:45 AM
My mistake Jake it is a 4T60, but the concept of the oil should be the same.

Thanks for catching my mistake :D

97EldoCoupe
12-21-08, 03:02 AM
Very true! The 4T80 looks a lot like the 4T60 and the design and engineering is probably very identical- I've got a 4T65-E laying around, one day I'll snap pics of that beside the 4T80 and post them....

NP Northstar, someday you'll catch one of mine! LOL :thumbsup:

rjs94greensts
12-22-08, 08:33 PM
Hey RJS94, I have a transmission from a 96 STS and a 97 STS. Both worked great, one has 90,000miles on it, and the other has around 150,000 miles. $450 (Canadian Dollars) per transmission and it includes:

-new filters
-new driveshaft seals and torque converter seal
-new TCC solenoid already installed (because they all develop problems I figure it's better to sell the transmissions with new ones)
-basic inspection while the pan is removed for transmission wear and fluid color

Let me know if you're interested, it'll have to be after the holidays- I'm swamped right now and won't have time to pull the trans until the beginning of January. I'm about 2 1/2 hours from Detroit, or 2 hours if you're driving a N* powered car :)

97Eldo~ That's a pretty good deal dude! I will have to wait until after the first of the year as well, with Christmas and all. I'm interested in the 90k model. Give me a couple weeks and I'll let you know for sure whether I'll take it based on my $$$ flow. Thanks for getting back to me on this.

rjs94greensts
12-22-08, 08:36 PM
;1713376']I had the same problem with my 96 Oldsmobile Cierra (4T80-E), it ended up being a stickey valve. I just serviced the trasmission, and got some transmission oil from NAPA that came in a small bottle that looked like 2 stroke oil (if i find the bottle ill post the name).

It doesnt cost much to do and its less time consuming. So its worth a try!

Yeh, if you find out what that was, please let me know. It would be worth a try. Thanks!

rjs94greensts
12-22-08, 08:40 PM
Dealership tells me I have the 4L80E tranny according to VIN
:cookoo::suspect:

I think that dude was smokin' something! Have you looked at a "4L80E" model tranny lately....according to what I'm seeing, that only fits the older caddies and rear wheel drive at that??!! It has to be a 4T80E...what else would fit in this year STS?

Submariner409
12-23-08, 08:03 AM
4T (Transverse) 80E. 4L (longitudinal) 80E.

97EldoCoupe
12-23-08, 02:11 PM
He insisted you that the 4"L"80? :histeric::cookoo:

Tell him to try figuring out what the "L" and "T" stand for.