: The END of Chrysler???

Rolex
12-17-08, 05:55 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,468966,00.html

Chrysler to Close All 30 Manufacturing Plants for One Month

urbanski
12-17-08, 05:58 PM
i remember toyota doing that here in their tundra plant, for 3 months. gotta get rid of building-up inventory. question is....will they sell any more than about 5 cars that month?

urbanski
12-17-08, 06:00 PM
UAW workers will get 95% of their pay during the shutdown.

that could cause an uproar....but the tundra workers got 100% for 3 months

CIWS
12-17-08, 06:02 PM
GM to temporarily close 20 plants to slash output.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/081212/gm_cuts.html

Honda cuts North American production again

No. 2 Japanese automaker lowers production by another 119,000 vehicles as demand weakens; no worker layoffs.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/12/12/news/companies/honda_production.ap/index.htm?postversion=2008121211

Sandy
12-17-08, 06:39 PM
I better go out & order a Chrysler product! I like the Dodge Avenger R/T in Fire Red. Saw one on the road, Looked good. Real good! For the wife, maybe, but she only likes small Jeeps, like the Liberty and Patriot Limiteds.

dkozloski
12-17-08, 07:27 PM
I better go out & order a Chrysler product! I like the Dodge Avenger R/T in Fire Red. Saw one on the road, Looked good. Real good! For the wife, maybe, but she only likes small Jeeps, like the Liberty and Patriot Limiteds.
Wait a couple of months and they'll be giving them away.

thebigjimsho
12-17-08, 08:16 PM
There are few cars as pathetic as the Avenger. The Sebring, Caliber and Compass come to mind...

BlackCaddy87
12-17-08, 08:26 PM
Come on guys, I know you all tremble from excitement whenever you think about having to choose from a civic si or hyundai accent. :histeric:

c5 rv
12-17-08, 08:45 PM
I think the automakers usually shut down for the weeks of Christmas and New Years. This is really a shutdown of two additional weeks. I think Cerberus is trying to push the government to cough up some money instead of investing it's own money.

Night Wolf
12-17-08, 08:48 PM
Come on guys, I know you all tremble from excitement whenever you think about having to choose from a civic si or hyundai accent. :histeric:

Civic Si :burn: too bad it only comes with the red interior gauge lights and not blue like the other models :(

mighty_quad4
12-17-08, 09:18 PM
I think the automakers usually shut down for the weeks of Christmas and New Years. This is really a shutdown of two additional weeks. I think Cerberus is trying to push the government to cough up some money instead of investing it's own money.

^ This.

no need for the tin foil hats, yet.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-17-08, 09:24 PM

Civic Si please. Now the big question is coupe or sedan?

Night Wolf
12-17-08, 09:41 PM
Hardly a big question.... Sedan is fugly, espeically the back/tail lights.... plus... it's 4-doors... when there is a 2-door option.... Only in some rare cases do the 4 doors look better then 2.... E30, Cherokee, FWD Delta 88, but not the Civic.

Actually I am quite fond of the new Civic, 2-door, but the non-Si gauges, cause I like the blue ones better... something about the half digital dash w/ analog tach, very cool.

If I was in the market for a small fuel efficent car and the new VW TDI Jetta wasn't coming out.... ah heck and if Mini's weren't made, then it would probably be the new Civic... but the VW TDI has my interest reguardless, I am just fond of diesels.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-17-08, 09:45 PM
I like the new Civic, and I used to hate the way the sedans looked, but they really grew on me a lot lately. Still not a beautiful car by any means, but not horrible.

If I was to buy a new compact car, the Civic would be up there, but I like that VW Rabbit a lot too, the Cooper is always a solid choice, but it's so expensive, I hear that new Focus is very nice, especially compared to the old one, and that new Impreza seems pretty nice too, as long as you stay away from that fugly hatchback.

dkozloski
12-17-08, 09:48 PM
Go to Europe and look around at the future, wall to wall shitbox cars.

93DevilleUSMC
12-17-08, 09:52 PM
Sandy, I'd avoid the Anvenger just because of the four-wheel drum brakes. If you want a decent Chrysler product on a budget, why not get the Dodge Caliber R/T. Much better functionality due to the hatchback design, and I'm sure it doesn't have drum brakes.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-17-08, 09:55 PM
Four Wheel Drum brakes????? Who's in office? Eisenhower??!?!

Night Wolf
12-17-08, 10:01 PM
Sandy, I'd avoid the Anvenger just because of the four-wheel drum brakes. If you want a decent Chrysler product on a budget, why not get the Dodge Caliber R/T. Much better functionality due to the hatchback design, and I'm sure it doesn't have drum brakes.

huh? This is 2008, not 1968

The brakes on the R/T are disc/disc ABS brakes, and they worked extremely well, with a nice, progressive action and pedal feel, but be aware other models use front disc and rear drum brakes without ABS (SE), and disc/drum brakes with ABS (SXT), making disc/disc ABS brakes an optional extra, and worth the money.

http://www.automotive.com/2008/12/dodge/avenger/reviews/index.html

Speaking of disc brakes.... heh, all 3 of my vehicles have 4-wheel disc brakes with ABS (just rear ABS in the Zu) Not bad... once was a time when all my cars had drums in the back.

Rolex
12-17-08, 10:02 PM
Four Wheel Drum brakes????? Who's in office? Eisenhower??!?!

:haha:

93DevilleUSMC
12-17-08, 10:03 PM
huh?

http://www.automotive.com/2008/12/dodge/avenger/reviews/index.html

Oh, sorry, I was going of Motor Trend's test. Never mind, then.

dkozloski
12-17-08, 11:25 PM
DelCo-Moraine HD drum brakes with Cera-Metallic lining weren't that bad.

c5 rv
12-18-08, 08:08 AM
GM and Chrysler have reopened merger talks. Cerberus may give away part of it's ownership.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081218/AUTO01/812180408

Jesda
12-18-08, 09:28 AM
Who the hell is going to fix my Crossfire?

Oh yeah, a Mercedes dealer. Like Chrysler dealers, they're probably used to mending defects.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
12-19-08, 06:31 PM
Chrysler are offering "buy one get one free deals" on the Dodge Avenger here in the UK...

Then again Honda are shutting down their plant(s?) here in the UK for 9 months and paying the workers just 30% of their salary while they do so...