: Save the drone, save the world

Pages : [1] 2

thoredan
12-10-08, 12:47 AM
I took delivery of 09 CTS-V, They made it way too loud for someone comeing out of XLR-V, going to call dealer tommorow and see if anyone else has complained about all the noise it makes at normal driving speeds, beacuse of this so far not nearly as happy as I thought I would be, Coming out of XLR-V engine and exhaust were quieter, The CTS-V supercharger wines (ok kind of like that sound) but in normal driving 1500 to 2500 rpm the exhaust is just too loud for me, 6th gear around 35 45 mph under load. WOT Ok and expect loud, but normal driving to maintain speed up hill with out downshifting is when it makes this “droneing” sound Dos anyone have any experience with after market exhaust that will retain the free flowing exhaust and make it quieter for daily driving. I have zero experience with after market exhaust; do any of them help with this annoying “DRONE” sound? And keep it muffled? Besides that the rest of the car is nice, Still hate the 6th speed it has the same annoying hunting for the right gear all the time just like XLR-V did. Thanks!

thoredan
12-10-08, 01:05 AM
OLD XLR-V New Jeep, Srt8 Makes less noise with the 6.1 Hemi

Knuguy
12-10-08, 01:19 AM
I'll be the first to say, you poor thing you.... :))

As for the answer, a banana in the tailpipe might do the trick

gotapex
12-10-08, 01:38 AM
Dynatech Vortex Insert Cones may be an easy, reversable bolt-in solution to try before doing anything drastic.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Dynatech/750014/10002/-1

tblack
12-10-08, 02:35 AM
I'll be the first to say, you poor thing you.... :))

Ha ha. I was waiting for someone to say that....

I would check with the dealer, all the reviews say the exhaust is pretty subdued so I ssume there could be some contact causing vibration which creates a droning sound. I had that issue with my 07 V.

Ps. Nice garage!

V-Love
12-10-08, 05:07 AM
That thing is way too loud. You don't want to get the whole neighborhood mad at you.
I'll take it off your hands for 40k.

urbanski
12-10-08, 06:35 AM
i'll take it off your hands for 20k cash

Lanman
12-10-08, 07:16 AM
Why would you be in 6th gear when you're only doing 35-45 mph? The car obviously has enough power to do it without any problem but I recommend using 4th or 5th gear when driving that slow.

Uncle Meat
12-10-08, 07:25 AM
Why would you be in 6th gear when you're only doing 35-45 mph? The car obviously has enough power to do it without any problem but I recommend using 4th or 5th gear when driving that slow.+1

Lugging a FI engine like that is not good for it and pounds the snot out of the bearings.

U.M.

Nutz
12-10-08, 08:07 AM
Turn the radio up. That oughta do it.:Playdrv4me:

Seriously. Give Corsa Performance a call here in Berea, Ohio. They are the best at eliminating drone in a performance car. Ask for Mark.

(I really wanted to do the Waaaaaaambulance smiley)...

Kadonny
12-10-08, 08:33 AM
I think this is a first. Really.

Kadonny
12-10-08, 08:46 AM
:22s:

Can I get a set of Lambo doors with those 22's?

CIWS
12-10-08, 08:46 AM
Srt8 Makes less noise with the 6.1 Hemi

http://www.ciws.net/images/sandinface1.jpg

The Tony Show
12-10-08, 09:04 AM
Swap me for my 2007 SRX- it's quiet as a mouse. Problem solved.

urbanski
12-10-08, 09:12 AM
or a camry

rand49er
12-10-08, 09:23 AM
Why would you be in 6th gear when you're only doing 35-45 mph? The car obviously has enough power to do it without any problem but I recommend using 4th or 5th gear when driving that slow.

+1

Lugging a FI engine like that is not good for it and pounds the snot out of the bearings.

U.M.I shift into 6th at 35 MPH all the time. As a matter of fact, I run below 2500 RPM most of the time and below 2000 frequently. As long as the throttle opening is small, it shouldn't hurt the motor or bearings one bit.

As far as the loud exhaust goes, I was at my dealer yesterday with another forum member here who actually started up the car while sitting in the showroom no less. :eek: It was indeed louder (at idle) than I would have guessed. Didn't drive it, but droning at cruising speeds would NOT be good, IMHO.

What about whistle tips?

dysert
12-10-08, 09:35 AM
As another thread suggests, not only does this car have a beastly growl, there is a beast under the hood. As a result it is too quick. I've tried driving with the parking brake on as well as lowering the tire pressure to near zero. Nothing is working so far, any ideas? Load the trunk with concrete?:duck:

The Tony Show
12-10-08, 09:38 AM
lawlz

Vrocks
12-10-08, 09:39 AM
As another thread suggests, not only does this car have a beastly growl, there is a beast under the hood. As a result it is too quick. I've tried driving with the parking brake on as well as lowering the tire pressure to near zero. Nothing is working so far, any ideas? Load the trunk with concrete?:duck:

Try Towing a house + the concrete.

CIWS
12-10-08, 09:46 AM
Beware of worm holes.

Ketzer
12-10-08, 09:47 AM
Try getting yourself a pair of pants. :histeric:

Ketzer
12-10-08, 09:51 AM
We have reached the day when 19" wheels shod with 285mm tires on a mid-sized sedan is "small". :)

I know! :highfive: Great time to be sedan shopping.

urbanski
12-10-08, 10:27 AM
Can I get a set of Lambo doors with those 22's?

i wonder if/how soon the lambo/22 crowd will descend upon 09

urbanski
12-10-08, 10:28 AM
lawlz
you're all going to be merged

CTSV_510
12-10-08, 10:38 AM
good post

ibta

CTSV_510
12-10-08, 10:42 AM
I shift into 6th at 35 MPH all the time. As a matter of fact, I run below 2500 RPM most of the time and below 2000 frequently. As long as the throttle opening is small, it shouldn't hurt the motor or bearings one bit.

I never shift to 6th until at least ~42 mph or I will be below 1000 rpms. :hmm:

What about whistle tips?

:whistle: tits

OH YEAH, and to the OP: :thepan:

556 hp is going to make some noise...

Jon
12-10-08, 10:44 AM
http://www.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/2094930/earplugs_Full.jpg

Razorecko
12-10-08, 10:48 AM
sounds like plain ole' exhaust drone. I know borla has a category of " touring " exhaust systems that have high performance but subdued noise. I have one on my jeep srt8 and its quieter than the stock exhaust. So far thats the only fix i know of. Outside of screwing around with the resonators probally.

Flyboy
12-10-08, 10:59 AM
I have a brand new Honda Accord coupe I will trade "even up" No cash to me whatsover.......(It's VERY quiet at all speeds)

thebigjimsho
12-10-08, 11:03 AM
http://www.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/2094930/earplugs_Full.jpgMmmmmmmmm....DOTS. I love those...

thoredan
12-10-08, 11:05 AM
To sum Funny, or others Thanks! But its very discouraging to buy a car that u have no desire to drive because of the noise it makes. IF YOU OWN one then u know, if you don’t, try driving one like a sane person for normal every day driving and it will get on your nerves very quickly like a rattle in the dash that u cant find. I have had performance cars my entire driving life all 18 years of it, mostly GM (Trans Ams Corvettes Camaros Mustangs XLR’S etc) I am used to nice exhaust sounds, And its only at normal driving speed that I hear it this annoying sound this one makes, It could very well be defective exhaust, My XLR-V had a bad muffler that rattled on day 2 when I get it 3 years ago, So not being perfect out of the box is no strange thing for me its still GM yet I continue to buy American to help Americans like myself and have to deal with this crap every time I get a new GM car, Its always back at the dealer for something with in its first weeks of life. When I did sneak over to Nissan and Infinti never had one issue and was happy with them from day 1 ( also my experience with Jeep SRT8 has been amazing too perfect from day one. My first experience with Chrysler/Dodge product.

thebigjimsho
12-10-08, 11:05 AM
As for the V1, if I'm cruising at low speeds, say under 25mph, it loves to chug along in 5th or 6th. And there's no drone at 950rpm...

As for unexpectedly loud exhausts, that's what you get for trying to be the first to own a brand new car. I took that risk with the V1 and it paid off.

thoredan
12-10-08, 11:08 AM
as another thread suggests, not only does this car have a beastly growl, there is a beast under the hood. As a result it is too quick. I've tried driving with the parking brake on as well as lowering the tire pressure to near zero. Nothing is working so far, any ideas? Load the trunk with concrete?:duck:

lol not.

edsuski
12-10-08, 11:08 AM

Testosterone shots should clear that right up…. :bouncy:

Razorecko
12-10-08, 11:10 AM
just put some good ole' '87 in there and you'll be driving like ms daisy :bouncy:

thebigjimsho
12-10-08, 11:24 AM
Mount some 22"s and get up on that rotational inertia...

Razorecko
12-10-08, 11:35 AM
Hey Thor your best bet would be to get a rid in another cts-v if possible to pinpoint the problem. If it is something defective w/ your v exhaust system or if its an attribute to the oem stock exhaust system that is irritating you. Either way it can be fixed with a proper exhaust. Even with the jeep srt8 the stock exhaust will drone between 80-85mph. When i switched over to the borla "t" it was gone, no drone at any speed. Made the daily driving much more bearable. I drive around 35k miles a year so i can understand how something so simple could become quickly irritating.

urbanski
12-10-08, 11:42 AM
i'll take it off your hands for 20k cash

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana] Thanks! But its very discouraging to buy a car that u have no desire to drive ]

my offer is now 15K
cash. its in my bank. i can wire immediately.

RightTurn
12-10-08, 11:56 AM
:food-snacking:

JD03Cobra
12-10-08, 11:58 AM
I never in my wildest dreams believe I would see a post like this! You bought a 550hp super car that is too loud? Honestly you should have bought the standard CTS.

Radguy
12-10-08, 12:44 PM

Could see this one comin' ---a MILE away!!

CIWS
12-10-08, 12:45 PM
To sum Funny, or others Thanks! But its very discouraging to buy a car that u have no desire to drive because of the noise it makes. IF YOU OWN one then u know, if you don’t, try driving one like a sane person for normal every day driving and it will get on your nerves very quickly like a rattle in the dash that u cant find.

Ok it was all in good fun. But I guess it needs to take a serious turn now.

Did you not seriously test drive this 65-70K car before you signed papers and drove it off the lot ? If you didn't, or didn't drive it enough to notice, well your fault don't expect any major sympathy. If you did and did not experience this sound you are speaking of then it would seem something has changed / gone wrong and you need to return to your dealer and have them look at and solve the problem for you. Even the best of cars and quality levels still experience problems. Other than that you are faced with having the stock exhaust modified to remove this annoying sound, try to get the dealer to take the car back and refund your money, trade for something else, or live with it. All of these options I am sure you are already aware of since you have had 18 years of performance cars experience.

See now you're going to make me actually go drive one of these to compare it to my STS-V with the GM accessory exhaust that is known to have some drone to it. I really didn't want to yet as I don't want to start thinking of how I could work something after only being in my STS-V for a little over a year now and like the car.

trukk
12-10-08, 12:54 PM
A Prius is very quite.

Perhaps you just need to swap the muffler bearings?

-Chris

I'm calling it right now...since V2 has an Auto...we are going to get a very large influx of non-enthusiast owners, who are gonna quibble and bitch about assinine stuff. [This is not directed at the OP.]

urbanski
12-10-08, 01:02 PM
sure it was

Kadonny
12-10-08, 01:05 PM

Not soon enough, I need a few :histeric: :histeric:

V-Love
12-10-08, 01:09 PM
my offer is now 15K
cash. its in my bank. i can wire immediately.

My offer stands at 40K cash. I'll deliver it in a suitcase. No forms to fill out.
Sorry urb.

rand49er
12-10-08, 01:22 PM
... a brand new Honda Accord coupe ...:thepan:

MauiV
12-10-08, 01:23 PM
I took delivery of 09 CTS-V, They made it way too loud for someone comeing out of XLR-V, going to call dealer tommorow and see if anyone else has complained about all the noise it makes at normal driving speeds, beacuse of this so far not nearly as happy as I thought I would be

OK Nancy, what you need to do is immedialy take your V back to the dealer and tell them you bought the wrong car and that you would like to take delivery of a new DTS.

As the saying goes.... If its too loud, your too old.

Even James May didnt lodge this complaint. See the kind of people that buy stuff when its available in an automatic?

Kmajecki
12-10-08, 01:31 PM
Hmm that is too bad, i cant believe GM did not base the entire car around people coming from an XLR-V... lol jk! I drove one, didnt notice any drone. Hopefully yours can be solved by fixing a loose bolt or something.

caddiedrummer
12-10-08, 01:36 PM
OMG, the CTS-V sound, the first time I heard it when I picked it up last week said to me"you made the right decision, pal" I came out of the M5 which sounded like crap. I have already told the folks at Corsa that this is the best sounding car out of the factory I have ever bought including Vipers and Vettes.

I had an XLR-V--beautiful car but the 2 worst things were handling and exhaust note.

I want to put more miles on so the exhaust will open up even more.

The sound, IMO, may be the best thing about this puppy.

Koooop
12-10-08, 01:37 PM
I would expect Clarkson would have shredded the new V if it did anything wrong. Clarkson and May must've traded cars a time or two. I doubt there was any fight over the Challenger.

I guess I won't know about the drone until I get an '09.

trukk
12-10-08, 01:38 PM

I predict sooner rather than later. Morons can't drive sticks, hence we didn't really see this with V1.

The Auto-Magic V2 will draw them in moth to the flame.

-Chris

Flyboy
12-10-08, 01:50 PM
I was joking about the Accord trade (of course), but IMHO after all the testing that went into this car I doubt of Cadillac would have introduced it with a "defect" like that. I'm not throwing thoredan under the bus by any means. But I would surmise that there really is a problem with THAT particular unit, or his ears are super sensitive. I listened to a new V (didn't drive it 'cause it was already sold) here in Scottsdale. Didn't sound tooooo loud to me, but hell what do I know....I'm old (63). My '05 V had long tube headers, no cats, corsa exhaust. It was VERY loud under WOT/High RPM's, but extremely quiet (no drone) at normal cruising speeds. I will be watching this thread to see if anyone else chimes in with a similar complaint. BTW, Randy.....I'm gonna get a used one sometime in '09. The service manager at Legends has instructed his buddy in sales to look for a clean one when it comes in on trade.

LUVMY04V
12-10-08, 02:00 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/220/482778074_32f2fd90a1.jpg?v=0

LUVMY04V
12-10-08, 02:02 PM
I think 20's Like this would look very nice

http://www.synergydesign.com/CTS/MODS/CTS4A.jpg
http://www.synergydesign.com/CTS/MODS/CTS2A.jpg

LUVMY04V
12-10-08, 02:05 PM
Fat girlfriend or a large breed dog and take either one with you at all times

or an entire car load of skinny girls Like that escalade commercial :thumbsup:

razl
12-10-08, 02:17 PM
Yeah, but now it makes the brakes look dinky. :stirpot:

The Tony Show
12-10-08, 02:25 PM
Mount some 22"s and get up on that rotational inertia...

:histeric:

Add some extra weight with a roof spoiler and body kit while you're at it.

Seattle CTS-V
12-10-08, 02:25 PM
Yeah, but now it makes the brakes look dinky. :stirpot:

The V's rotors are bigger though...

urbanski
12-10-08, 02:27 PM
too fast, too loud, too firm, small wheels, what's next

the cadillac kid
12-10-08, 02:28 PM
Step 1: Drive another V & see if this problem is unique to your '09, or if there is no problem with the exhaust.
Step 2: a) If this is unique to your model only, then it is a problem. Warranty and dealership should take care of you and replace it.
b) If this is how it is supposed to sound, then Dynamat is your best friend. It will quiet down the cabin for you.

Good luck.

urbanski
12-10-08, 02:28 PM
:histeric:

Add some extra weight with a roof spoiler and body kit while you're at it.

i think D 3 has one, no?

trukk
12-10-08, 02:29 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/220/482778074_32f2fd90a1.jpg?v=0

That is quite possible the woirst photochop I've ever seen. Makes it even more funny.

-Chris

thebigjimsho
12-10-08, 02:30 PM
I think 20's Like this would look very nice

http://www.synergydesign.com/CTS/MODS/CTS4A.jpghttp://www.synergydesign.com/CTS/MODS/CTS2A.jpgTHAT looks amazing!!

thebigjimsho
12-10-08, 02:33 PM
too fast, too loud, too firm, small wheels, what's nextYou forgot no HD radio...

the cadillac kid
12-10-08, 02:35 PM
:food-snacking:

http://celica.net/ubb/graemlins/stupid.gif

LUVMY04V
12-10-08, 02:39 PM
THAT looks amazing!!
haha I agree its almost PERFECT

too bad you have to buy the wheels then powder coat them.

LUVMY04V
12-10-08, 02:41 PM
That is quite possible the woirst photochop I've ever seen. Makes it even more funny.

-ChrisI know I LOLED (yahoo image search FTW)

thebigjimsho
12-10-08, 02:48 PM
http://celica.net/ubb/graemlins/stupid.gif:ohthedrama:

caddiedrummer
12-10-08, 02:54 PM
Man you guys are brutal. And I thought I was catching it a couple of weeks ago.

I am waiting for "This thing is too good looking, any ideas" etc

Speaking of too quick and Darwinism at work, not a month or 2 would go by on the Viper board when someone would post "Bad day, wrecked my Viper" Inevitably, they would wreck it on the way home from the dealership. I would love to know how many were wrecked on the way home--dozens.

the cadillac kid
12-10-08, 03:05 PM
I've heard a dozen times that upon purchase of a viper from a dealership, the buyer is advised to attend a weekend Viper-Driving course in Las Vegas.

thebigjimsho
12-10-08, 03:12 PM
Poor urby. You know it's coming...:suspense:

CIWS
12-10-08, 03:19 PM
i would love to know how many were wrecked on the way home--dozens.

poor urby. You know it's coming...:suspense:

:p;)

urbanski
12-10-08, 03:25 PM
haha yeah i saw that too

RightTurn
12-10-08, 03:37 PM
Do it. Doooooooooooooooooooooooooo it. :alchi:

urbanski
12-10-08, 03:40 PM
do what

trukk
12-10-08, 03:43 PM
i think D 3 has one, no?

I would officialy like to state for the record that I did not post this statement.

-Chris

RightTurn
12-10-08, 03:48 PM
do what

:blink:

urbanski
12-10-08, 03:52 PM
you want me to blink

The Tony Show
12-10-08, 03:53 PM
I heard of a guy wrecking his V on the way home from the Dealership. I believe it was in an urban area, and the owner might have been heading out to go skiiing.

But that's just some random guy I read about on the internet.

urbanski
12-10-08, 03:53 PM
I would officialy like to state for the record that I did not post this statement.

-Chris

get out of my brain

caddiedrummer
12-10-08, 04:11 PM
As they said in 'Raising Arizona" I think you guys are speaking in "code"

roxnadz
12-10-08, 04:29 PM
did you try driving fred flintstone style?

Nutz
12-10-08, 04:33 PM
If it must be traded, there are many choices. :D

QwiS4t8TMlI

CTSV_510
12-10-08, 08:15 PM
Don't let it happen to you.

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/cts/cts_20040813_001.jpg

:urb:

Short-Throw
12-10-08, 08:16 PM
Besides that the rest of the car is nice, Still hate the 6th speed it has the same annoying hunting for the right gear all the time just like XLR-V did. Thanks![/SIZE]

thoredan,

I paid very close attention to the exhaust sound today when I was driving so I could specifically answer your post.

The accelerator is very sensitive. If you are not consistent with your foot (wearing heavy soled shoes can contribute to this) you will keep the tranny guessing what you want. This car learns the driver's habits on break in. A lot of what you are experiencing may be the car learning.

If you really focus on keeping the accelerator steady this will go away.
To isolate this, I put the car on Cruise Control today both at 55 and 60mph. There was no drone whatsoever. Have you tried this?

Mike

thoredan
12-10-08, 10:15 PM
Hey, Thanks Mike for taking the time to listen to your car. The noise that I am hearing is when put in manual mode wait till u hit about 42 mph and use 6th, press ever so light on gas say to go up a slight grade without downshifting (engine under load ) and THAT’S the sound that resonates through the cabin. It will do the same thing in auto but if you push just ever so slightly it will down shift rpm above 2300 and sound is gone. I did do 55 to 75 with cruise control on and no drone, The problem is here in PA we have a lot of hills and I live on my cell to conduct business in the car between apts and cant always drive 55 to75 99.9 % of the time I am doing 35 50 give or take. I did not get another XLR-V because of the few times I did have the top down Clients always called with emergency’s that I had to walk the through over the phone and wind noise just did not cut it. Had to pull over put up top windows etc ( AKA PAIN, but price I pay for being able to afford these cars in the first place ) So just imagine how frustrating to have more noise in the car and not even have the top down.

I have called CADDI Customer care they have noted the problem the dealership is also aware and looking into service bulletins to correct this one way or another. They are starting to get complaints about interior exhaust noise now that more of them are on the road and not all people come to this forum to post comments about there cars. I have also called CORSA and talked to them about this noise and they too are aware of GM exhaust problems and this sound. They have someone bringing in a new V for testing with new system they are making for the car now. They will call me when they have something that will make it quite under there conditions I told them I want it so sound like XLR-V with baffles closed. At the same speed and enigne load.

On a side note, Did you figure out how to pair your Bluetooth phone to this car using the manual (CRAP) I am a computer hardware specialist and could find no where in the manual how to do it, and had to call onstar to walk me through how to get the phone to pair/ ( it was all done by voice command) press Phone for 2 sec Then say Hands free, then bluetooth , the it give you the code to pair phone. Crazy. And then after paring the phone "WINDOWS 5 Auto edition" the OS that runs the radio/ipod/nav/ voice commad/ Crashed and the NAV system rebooted Joy welcome to windows in the car.....

Its has rained the last 2 days since I got the car so I have no real Idea what it can do in the dry and in the wet it is useless and feels way to dangerous to even try more the 10% throttle.

Thanks
Danny

Short-Throw
12-10-08, 10:47 PM
Did you figure out how to pair your Bluetooth phone to this car using the manual

Its has rained the last 2 days since I got the car so I have no real Idea what it can do in the dry and in the wet it is useless and feels way to dangerous to even try more the 10% throttle.

Thanks
Danny

Danny,

Funny you ask, I programmed the Bluetooth immediately. I am on the phone for work constantly as well and it is critical it's a good quiet connection. I have had numerous phone conversations with friends who have asked me to gun it so they could hear the car roar. Guess what? Not one person could hear the car during WOT. I couldn't believe it. This Bluetooth is the best I've seen in a car. It's almost like noise reduction headsets to the listeners. I used a jawbone previously and had many complaints despite how great it was supposed to be.

As far as wet driving, you really should look into a set of Pirelli's. I drove the car on the stock Michelin's and they really aren't good in the cold and wet weather. I've had no issues since the tire swap and we just had a snowstorm last night I drove in with no slippage.

Mike

MauiV
12-10-08, 10:49 PM

For the love of God.

Have your wife take the car back to the dealer and let her tell them you couldnt handle it.

Im sure they have some nice DTS's you will enjoy.

thebigjimsho
12-10-08, 11:00 PM
42mph in 6th? Ah, no. Any car drones if you lug it...

Knuguy
12-10-08, 11:03 PM
What about whistle tips?

........wooooWOOOOOOOO

http://badatgraphics.com/images/bubb-rubb.jpg

CTS-Vmike
12-10-08, 11:49 PM
There should be no reason for you to use 6th gear at 42 mph, especially going up a grade or under load. All that does is put strain on the bottom end of the engine creating tremendous load on the main bearings. :bomb: Not to mention, at such low rpm, you have much lower oil pressure.

If you downshift to 4th gear, your ears and the engine will thank you.

synergy408
12-10-08, 11:59 PM
THAT looks amazing!!

Hey thanks...I just saw this thread and was going to post the same pic. You guys wouldnt believe how many people think my CTS is the "new Cadillac with the Corvette engine" which is the common quote I get. Don't worry, my emblems are STILL ON :). I think GM should have stepped up the wheels to make it a bit more aggressive and slightly lower to the ground IMO.

tmwfla
12-11-08, 12:39 AM
Put an 04 diff in it. That will eventually slow it down for sure.:rimshot:
Now, that made me laugh out loud...

LV_V
12-11-08, 01:39 AM
There was a pearl white 09 CTS 3.6 at my Cadi dealer today that had chrome 09 CTS-V knock off wheels on it. I took a SERIOUS double take while looking at it from the back.

On a slightly less related topic, the dealer said there was a GM rep with the 09 V there this morning but I just missed it! I have yet to see one in person. The salesman took my cell # and is going to call me when they get their first 2 in, "any day now". :) :) :)

CIWS
12-11-08, 11:18 AM
I have also called CORSA and talked to them about this noise and they too are aware of GM exhaust problems and this sound. They have someone bringing in a new V for testing with new system they are making for the car now. They will call me when they have something that will make it quite under there conditions I told them I want it so sound like XLR-V with baffles closed. At the same speed and enigne load.

Thanks
Danny

I realize this is something you're going to have to wait on and see if it's a problem GM/Cadillac officially addresses first. But here's something to look at in the mean time.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/156475-corsa-exhausts-figured-out.html

trukk
12-11-08, 12:51 PM
<snip>The noise that I am hearing is when put in manual mode wait till u hit about 42 mph and use 6th, press ever so light on gas say to go up a slight grade without downshifting </snip>

LOL, I read this little part, and immediate thought of V1. Light load, 42 mph...noise from the rear of the car. HMMM......

http://www.soundupload.com/pop/rszj5heuo8j6ag6z

-Chris

Vrocks
12-11-08, 01:08 PM
To sum Funny, or others Thanks! But its very discouraging to buy a car that u have no desire to drive because of the noise it makes. IF YOU OWN one then u know, if you don’t, try driving one like a sane person for normal every day driving and it will get on your nerves very quickly like a rattle in the dash that u cant find. I have had performance cars my entire driving life all 18 years of it, mostly GM (Trans Ams Corvettes Camaros Mustangs XLR’S etc) I am used to nice exhaust sounds, And its only at normal driving speed that I hear it this annoying sound this one makes, It could very well be defective exhaust, My XLR-V had a bad muffler that rattled on day 2 when I get it 3 years ago, So not being perfect out of the box is no strange thing for me its still GM yet I continue to buy American to help Americans like myself and have to deal with this crap every time I get a new GM car, Its always back at the dealer for something with in its first weeks of life. When I did sneak over to Nissan and Infinti never had one issue and was happy with them from day 1 ( also my experience with Jeep SRT8 has been amazing too perfect from day one. My first experience with Chrysler/Dodge product.

Test drive another V and see if it's quieter.

GMX322V S/C
12-11-08, 11:18 PM
...The noise that I am hearing is when put in manual mode wait till u hit about 42 mph and use 6th, press ever so light on gas say to go up a slight grade without downshifting (engine under load ) and THAT’S the sound that resonates through the cabin. It will do the same thing in auto but if you push just ever so slightly it will down shift rpm above 2300 and sound is goneIf that's the case, I don't understand, why don't you just leave it in auto?

thoredan
12-14-08, 12:52 AM
It will do the same in auto mode too, I have been reading all about this DRONE noise, in different v cars 2004 2007 with aftermarket exaust etc, I have had the car for 4 days now this is my second day without rain, and again driving it like a normal eveyday driver in auto it falls in the dam 1500 to 2000 range and the sound/noise is KILLING ME. I had to drive it on the highway at 65 75 and its still there even at that speed. under load up slight grade. I have allmost 380 miles on it now and I think it getting worse noticing vibration in the shifter and steering wheel when the DRONE sound kicks in. I got off the highway early just to make the engine rpm up and down and coast on normal roads. I am so pissed off at this point i get a head ack just thinking about it. Its killed the whole new car joy, you can only look and it, sit in it with the radio on for so long till you want to drive it, and playing the radio @ 100% to over power the exaust only works for so long. Gona leave it parked for the next few days to cool off ( ME ) before i do something dumb like drive it off a bridge.

I miss my XLR-V Fast and what i miss the most F'n QUIET.

c4ss
12-14-08, 01:42 AM
Maybe you should have gotten a Buick...they're GM too, you know.

urbanski
12-14-08, 07:22 AM
my offer is now 10K cash. i'll bundle up the money with a red bow and weat a santa had when I take delivery. I'll be there today.

CTSV_510
12-14-08, 10:13 AM
http://jorgeguerra.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/pacifier.jpg

thoredan
12-14-08, 12:10 PM
lol not. this is not funny anymore.

MauiV
12-14-08, 12:30 PM
I think its ****in hillarious.

Your going to enjoy that DTS.

urbanski
12-14-08, 12:43 PM
^^prius

CTSV_510
12-14-08, 03:13 PM
lol not. this is not funny anymore.

Everything is funny in the assimilation thread.

Have you given anyone a ride that happens to agree with you on the annoying exhaust sound?

thoredan
12-14-08, 03:24 PM
I think its ****in hillarious.

Your going to enjoy that DTS.

DTS my foot, I will dump this one over a bridge and get A XLR-V AGAIN.
Can u do that?

I think a lot of u are missing the point of this THE DRONE SOUND IS A PROBLEM. Not Idle, not WOT not anything over 2300 rpm just this dam sound under load in 5 6th gear. If you have never experenced It AKA YOU DONT HAVE ONE IN YOUR DRIVE WAY then, I will be more then happy to let you drive the car and hear it for yourself if you think you could live with it day in and day out?

And its not At all **** hillarious, If it was not for GM ready to go under and me and some other loyal dummies trying to save them it the first place, the car would not even be on the roads right now. I am expecting a call form the enginers that designed the exaust in this car to correct a flaw that they knew dam well was going to be a problem, I bought a Cadillac not a camaro and would expect drone in a camaro but a brand new "worlds fastest 4 door car" its just not acceptable.

Thanks
Danny
PA, Bryn Mawr, The Main Line.

thoredan
12-14-08, 03:28 PM
Everything is funny in the assimilation thread.

Have you given anyone a ride that happens to agree with you on the annoying exhaust sound?

Yes and they have all hear it, most are like WFT what is that noise? In fact they think the SRT8 is Quiter and dos not make the drone sound.

I am bringing it back Monday, I hope it has faulty exaust.

CTSV_510
12-14-08, 03:57 PM
I live in Exton, I want a ride!

MauiV
12-14-08, 06:32 PM
I drove one yesterday. Growl sounded great and not nearly as loud as my V.

And yes I could buy an XLR but why would I? Im not 84 years old.

thoredan
12-14-08, 08:30 PM
I live in Exton, I want a ride!

West Chester Wawa?

Vrocks
12-15-08, 12:08 AM
DTS my foot, I will dump this one over a bridge and get A XLR-V AGAIN.
Can u do that?

I think a lot of u are missing the point of this THE DRONE SOUND IS A PROBLEM. Not Idle, not WOT not anything over 2300 rpm just this dam sound under load in 5 6th gear. If you have never experenced It AKA YOU DONT HAVE ONE IN YOUR DRIVE WAY then, I will be more then happy to let you drive the car and hear it for yourself if you think you could live with it day in and day out?

And its not At all **** hillarious, If it was not for GM ready to go under and me and some other loyal dummies trying to save them it the first place, the car would not even be on the roads right now. I am expecting a call form the enginers that designed the exaust in this car to correct a flaw that they knew dam well was going to be a problem, I bought a Cadillac not a camaro and would expect drone in a camaro but a brand new "worlds fastest 4 door car" its just not acceptable.

Thanks
Danny
PA, Bryn Mawr, The Main Line.

:crybaby:

CTSV_510
12-15-08, 08:21 AM
West Chester Wawa?

pm sent.

Hey guys, I might be able to meet with Danny and check out this droning he's talking about.

urbanski
12-15-08, 09:15 AM
i'll be there with 6 grand cash. more he hesitates, less he gets.

CIWS
12-15-08, 10:36 AM
pm sent. Hey guys, I might be able to meet with Danny and check out this droning he's talking about. Please take a good quality sound recording device and record what it is his car is doing. All kidding aside I have an idea what he could be talking about, and if the owner isn't happy then so be it. It's really a question if there is a problem with his particular car, and there very well could be. Hopefully so and it's something that can get resolved and he can be a happy owner.

Koooop
12-16-08, 05:28 PM
There needs to be at least one happy '09 CTS owner on the forum.

CopperSunburstCTS
12-17-08, 12:59 AM
Thoredan (Danny) is RIGHT!!!!! The DRONE is HORRIBLE. Even BEFORE i read all this thread about drone I test drove one last Friday and was going to see if anyone else experienced the same thing I did b4 posting my driving impressions. I am very sad to say I will not be buying one primarily for the same reason the poster sites. Guys, i was really really really looking forward to this car for a long long time, I need a daily driver to replace my gen 1 CTS I sold. This is why i did not pre order the car before driving it, in case something like this cropped up. The drone is THE reason I am not buying the car. And again, I was NOT biased by this thread as I am only reading it now, after i drove the car and decided not to get it.

I drove the V on the highway and noticed at 65-75 the fairly loud drone, at first I wasnt sure if it was the tranny (auto) in 6th gear or the exhaust, but I would let up on the accelerator and the noise would go away. It may happen at other speeds, but the condition i noticed it in was around 65-75 with either VERY light acceleration or no true acceleration at all, just enough of the accelerator pedel being pushed to maintain the 65-75 MPH. I cant imagine enjoying the car as a daily driver having to put up with the drone, cruising at highway speeds, "trying" to enjoy the Bose stereo system.

And b4 you ask, my other cars were/are a 2003 Manual 5-speed CTS and an auto tranny C-5 Corvette Pace Car CONVERTIBLE, so i am used to exhaust noise and dont mind the slight and refined exhaust sound of the 1998 Vette. And the Vette is a Chevy and super low to the ground, with very little sound insulation and especially with no top! But this is a CADILLAC, and its much worse. It SHOULD be as good or better, it SHOULD be refined, it is anything but that. If you are just using this car as a track car, then it's not an issue.

Other observations: I also found the steering wheel to be too thick for comfort, it felt akward, BUT if you have big hands itmight be acceptable. The look of the front end, that a lot of people questioned, including me, actually looks great in person, as some other people have said as well. The ride was fairly decent, not much worse than the base CTS, and in some conditions, better! I was thinking the brakes would be an issue, possibly too grabby because of the huge rotors and 6 piston Brembos, but I am happy to report they were great, as I have never had a GM car that the brakes were too grabby or senstive, and even the V doesn't dissapoint! They feel just like the regular CTS, smooth progression of braking power. Tire road noise wasnt as good as the base CTS but i think it might be OK as a daily driver, but with the exhaust noise it was hard to tell for sure.

I also preferred the regular seats to the Recaros, the left side seat bottom bolster even at the widest position (they dont actually move much, just deflate a bit) was still pretty firm and your left leg would rest on the hard edge, unless u drive with your legs tightly closed only on the sueaded insert portion, which most people don't. For racing the Recarros would definetely be better around curves because of the seat back bolsters. Then by comparison, I drove a base CTS with FE-1 directly after my test drive in the V.

:crybaby:

Swedie
12-17-08, 06:28 AM
Is this drone sound on both the Auto and the Manual version?

CIWS
12-17-08, 08:12 AM
And b4 you ask, my other cars were/are a 2003 Manual 5-speed CTS and an auto tranny C-5 Corvette Pace Car CONVERTIBLE, so i am used to exhaust noise and dont mind the slight and refined exhaust sound of the 1998 Vette.
Snip . .

I can understand Thoredan trying to make some comparisons to the sound from his Jeep SRT8. But a 98 345Hp vette and a 220hp CTS against a 556hp S/C vehicle ?

http://www.ciws.net/smiles/lmao3.gif

Vrocks
12-17-08, 08:40 AM
OK, I'm going for another test drive in 2 or 3 days. I'm going to test the 65 - 75 mph, 6th gear very light acceleration scenario... :rolleyes:

Nutz
12-17-08, 08:48 AM
Is this drone sound on both the Auto and the Manual version?

I drove a manual for about 15 mins and heard no drone. I even put it in 5th and 6th between 40 and 55 mph. The only sound that I can say that was noticeable on the V was at idle. As usual I experienced a weak exhaust tone off idle as expected from a supercharged car.

Razorecko
12-17-08, 09:13 AM
^ perfect explanation. The auto has a lower rpm/speed ratio and at cruising speed will run at a lower rpm. This simple shift of a few rpms is enough to create the the drone coming out of the exhaust. There are 2 fixes for this..1. Buy a tested aftermarket exhaust 2. Buy the 6spd manual version ....although the aftermarket version needs to built with the proper r&d to fix the drone otherwise another exhaust can make the drone extremely horrible.

Swedie
12-17-08, 09:32 AM
Good thanks, my intention is to get the manual. I've never owned an Auto and will try to never to do so either. Only reason I could possibly think about getting the Auto is because of the Remote starter. That's a cool and very useful feature on cold mornings.

Razorecko
12-17-08, 09:36 AM
Good thanks, my intention is to get the manual. I've never owned an Auto and will try to never to do so either. Only reason I could possibly think about getting the Auto is because of the Remote starter. That's a cool and very useful feature on cold mornings.

You can get an aftermarket auto start for the manual but than you can't leave it in 1st when you start it :):):). They omitted that from the factory because they dont want to be liable for you starting your car and having it jump into your living room from the garage...Not too mention all high hp motors/V8's warm up very quickly so autostart isn't that necessary. Its not like you are trying to warm up a 4 banger.

chris1268
12-17-08, 09:54 AM
I have a question.......I have not been able to keep my V2 going slow enough to hear the drone, how are you guys driving so slow on a regualr basis ???:):) LOL. All jokinig aside I have an automatic and have been able to recreate what they are talking about with the drone. It's a shame but Corsa is working on an exhaust as we speak so hopefully they can address it.

Razorecko
12-17-08, 09:55 AM
^ the corsa is good but Id like to see a Borla "touring" exhaust come out for this v. That is a great exhaust line

urbanski
12-17-08, 10:14 AM
new drone thread

Kadonny
12-17-08, 10:21 AM
new drone thread

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/Firebomba/kari.gif

I love the drone of that damn gif of yours. I could stare at it all day.

Cadillac Tony
12-17-08, 10:27 AM
I just drove a customer's Automatic a few miles to fill it up at the gas station- no drone at all, just a faint, sweet Supercharger whine and a killer factory exhaust.

thoredan
12-17-08, 11:46 AM
I could use more input from others that are hearing this DRONE noise I am gona fight with GM to have it corrected and could use some help. more people more action quicker responce time from GM ( well before the go under in the next few weeks)

I have no problem paying to have this fixed by the aftermarket but feel that I sould not even have to if GM is made aware of the problem.

The only thing i can think why others are not hearing this as it seems to be in all V's is that the fun of 0 to 60 in 3sec has not worn off yet and they are driving the cars hard still or just on it all the time in AUTO/Manual mode keeping the RPM up and just hearing the wine of S/C See thats a good sound, I like that one.

Once you start to drive it like a daily driver and try to get more the 10.mpg out of it the sound will creep in and get on your nerves too.

Thanks
Danny

verbs
12-17-08, 12:05 PM
Are you kidding me? Seriously? Slap on some vagisil and call it a day. You buy a 6.2L 556hp blown V8 and expect it to be as quiet as a 4.6L blown N-star engine?

If it's still that big of a deal after a liberal cream application, you can always put another pair of mufflers on there, but you'll lose a few hp (which you won't really notice in a car making that much power).

I also think some of you are nuts driving in 6th gear at 35mph. Not good to lug the engine like that. You may think you're not doing any harm....but your engine is hating you.

trukk
12-17-08, 12:16 PM
Are you kidding me? Seriously? Slap on some vagisil and call it a day. You buy a 6.2L 556hp blown V8 and expect it to be as quiet as a 4.6L blown N-star engine?

If it's still that big of a deal after a liberal cream application, you can always put another pair of mufflers on there, but you'll lose a few hp (which you won't really notice in a car making that much power).

I also think some of you are nuts driving in 6th gear at 35mph. Not good to lug the engine like that. You may think you're not doing any harm....but your engine is hating you.

Double Quoted for truth.

The first step is admiting you have a problem:

"Hi, my name is OP, and I have a vagina."

Putting an auto in this car is such a disapointment. Enthusiest count goes way down. Douche content, way up.

-Chris

Kadonny
12-17-08, 01:13 PM
Double Quoted for truth.

Putting an auto in this car is such a disapointment. Enthusiest count goes way down. Douche content, way up.

-Chris

Not me. I'm getting an auto and you can bet I'll be driving the piss out of the car......especially at 1.65 a gallon.

CIWS
12-17-08, 01:16 PM

Who has a 4.6L S/C Northstar ?

CopperSunburstCTS
12-17-08, 01:30 PM
I can understand Thoredan trying to make some comparisons to the sound from his Jeep SRT8. But a 98 345Hp vette and a 220hp CTS against a 556hp S/C vehicle ?

http://www.ciws.net/smiles/lmao3.gif

You are clearly missing the points, both of them. One, do NOT compare HP to other cars, it doesnt matter, the drone is when limping along at 65-75, under very light acceleration, NOT getting into it and using the 556 HP! And the "supercharged vehicle" does not matter either, the S/C is barely doing anything at the low RPM that the drone exists.

The other point is the Vette may not be as powerfull, but it is not a heavy LUXURY sport sedan, it is a sports car and a Chevy at that, the CTS is supposed to be REFINED luxury sports sedan. If people wanted a horrible loud drone then they could buy a Viper or other car where that may be excuseable. I also had a last generation Trans Am, again not as powerfull, but again, the drone is happening when not pushing the car and not using high RPM. If it was only when using high RPM and flooring it then OK thats acceptable and expected. I didnt find the exhaust sound too loud in most other circumstances, and certainly not at idle.

People on here (not necessarily this poster i am responding to) are probably making stupid assumptions that the guy is a wimp or he should stop whinning when they don't know what they are talking about. The guy just spent $60+ k on a car that is not right, everyone should have a little compassion for his huge dissapointment.

CopperSunburstCTS
12-17-08, 01:35 PM
I just drove a customer's Automatic a few miles to fill it up at the gas station- no drone at all, just a faint, sweet Supercharger whine and a killer factory exhaust.

You have to have very specific, but very normal and frequently used conditions to hear it, at least from my experience. You need to be cruising along at 65-75, the cars auto probably needs to be in 6th gear and TTC engaged, and u need the lightest acceleration, almost just enough to maintain speed or perhaps at a slight incline. I dont know if it happens at 55 mph, it was way too hard to just go 55 in this car! Other times it wasn't bad at all.

CIWS
12-17-08, 01:53 PM
You are clearly missing the points, both of them. One, do NOT compare HP to other cars, it doesnt matter, the drone is when limping along at 65-75, under very light acceleration, NOT getting into it and using the 556 HP! And the "supercharged vehicle" does not matter either, the S/C is barely doing anything at the low RPM that the drone exists.

You clearly are missing the only point.
Drone is an exhaust design issue. Not a Chevy, Cadillac, or Dodge or whatever. With a different designed exhaust under the same type of posted driving conditions the vehicle could have no drone or possibly even more.

You're not going to find a hell of a lot of sympathy in here from drivers who want a performance sedan like the :v: and/or who already drive them. My S/C LUXURY performance sedan has some drone in the exhaust note using the GM authorized exhaust system, if the car is run at low rpms. Rpms levels I don't normally run the car at, or if so for very long. that bit of noise is tolerated because of the exhaust note I desire that comes out of the car the vast majority of the time. A great deal of the 1st generation CTS-V drivers swap out their stock exhaust because they wanted something more aggressive. This time Cadillac designed a stock exhaust that has a nice sound from the dealership, but for some who drive it at low rpms it has a drone they don't care for. Surprise, Surprise nothing the manufacturer does pleases every one. But such things are supposed to be discovered when you test drive the vehicle before purchase. How it rides, drives, and sounds. Then you decide if you like it or not enough to buy it.

urbanski
12-17-08, 01:54 PM

the OP had an xlr-v
but isnt that 4.4

CIWS
12-17-08, 01:57 PM
the OP had an xlr-v
but isnt that 4.4

:yup: The engine in the STS-V and XLR-V is a 4.4ltr S/C N*

Nutz
12-17-08, 02:30 PM
:foxnews:

I just got a call 2 minutes ago from a close friend of mine that is a drag racer/Cadillac service write-up 5 minutes ago that said a new AUTOMATIC 09V he just took off the truck has CONSIDERABLY LOUDER EXHAUST than the manual I drove last week (which is still in the building for comparison). I am going to make the trip 60 miles round trip with my expensive digital camera and compare. Hang tight for a few hrs. guys. Nutz delivers.

urbanski
12-17-08, 02:50 PM
go go go nutz!

CIWS
12-17-08, 02:57 PM

I am going to make the trip 60 miles round trip with my expensive digital camera and compare. Hang tight for a few hrs. guys. Nutz delivers.

:banana::2thumbs::dance::eyebrow::bulging::woohoo:

I'm sure you'll cover it, but please drive within the parameters of the posted complaint. :)

thoredan
12-17-08, 03:20 PM

I just got a call 2 minutes ago from a close friend of mine that is a drag racer/Cadillac service write-up 5 minutes ago that said a new AUTOMATIC 09V he just took off the truck has CONSIDERABLY LOUDER EXHAUST than the manual I drove last week (which is still in the building for comparison). I am going to make the trip 60 miles round trip with my expensive digital camera and compare. Hang tight for a few hrs. guys. Nutz delivers.

Thanks! You can let the rest of them know I am not Nutz no pun intened. I have A GM Rep meeting me at the dealership on Jan 14 @ 10am

thoredan
12-17-08, 03:24 PM

Are u kidding me??? Do you have one in your driveway? The CAR IS PROGRAMED to get to 6th as soon as it can 41 mph to save gas.
IT'S AN AUTO CAR WE ARE TALKING ABOUT. Why would I put new mufflers on a car that should be right from the factory?

thoredan
12-17-08, 03:35 PM
Double Quoted for truth.

-Chris

There are so many things wrong with your post:

One the vagina thing, wrong

Two about putting a auto in the car? Corvette has had auto forever and its not an Enthusiests Car? And has it not been proven that todays autos that are computer controled are FASTER then manual cars? HUMMM Second more people will buy an auto, HELPING the product line. There for making it better for everyone.

I can not believe that an intelligent person cant understand that fact that drone is just wrong in a factory car, this car of all GM cars that Gm needs to get on the road to stay alive in the credit money mess that they are in. IF they dont get feedback from buyers and things are not fixed they will lose even more market to other car makers.

Danny

thoredan
12-17-08, 03:36 PM

I did for 3 years in my 06 XLR-V and is 4.4

Danny

thoredan
12-17-08, 03:47 PM
Drone is an exhaust design issue. Not a Chevy, Cadillac, or Dodge or whatever. With a different designed exhaust under the same type of posted driving conditions the vehicle could have no drone or possibly even more.

You're not going to find a hell of a lot of sympathy in here from drivers who want a performance sedan like the :v: and/or who already drive them. My S/C LUXURY performance sedan has some drone in the exhaust note using the GM authorized exhaust system, if the car is run at low rpms. Rpms levels I don't normally run the car at, or if so for very long. that bit of noise is tolerated because of the exhaust note I desire that comes out of the car the vast majority of the time. A great deal of the 1st generation CTS-V drivers swap out their stock exhaust because they wanted something more aggressive. This time Cadillac designed a stock exhaust that has a nice sound from the dealership, but for some who drive it at low rpms it has a drone they don't care for. Surprise, Surprise nothing the manufacturer does pleases every one. But such things are supposed to be discovered when you test drive the vehicle before purchase. How it rides, drives, and sounds. Then you decide if you like it or not enough to buy it.

Again You are missing the point but u make the point in your post.?.?

STS-V should not have any drone sound peroid.

"With a different designed exhaust under the same type of posted driving conditions the vehicle could have no drone or possibly even more. "

It should if designed right from the factory HAVE ZERO drone They could of done the split system line XLR-V has to make it possible.

Most people that buy Cadillac expect it to be more of a "sleeper" fast and quiet, The exaust is fine at every other driving speed except for the DRONE sound. That is a design flaw if it can be removed with redesign of mufflers etc.

Yea, I bought it Test drive was only 30 min and I thought I could live with sound, but after time its just not acceptable when u know it can be removed if it was designed right in the first place.

Thats is why I am having a meeting with a GM REP on January 14, @ 10 am at my dealership.

Danny

Kadonny
12-17-08, 03:59 PM
My STS-V has drone too if you had it in manual mode at lower rpms in 3rd or 4th gear. I'll let you know in about a week if I agree or disagree with you.

trukk
12-17-08, 04:27 PM
There are so many things wrong with your post:

One the vagina thing, wrong

Two about putting a auto in the car? Corvette has had auto forever and its not an Enthusiests Car? And has it not been proven that todays autos that are computer controled are FASTER then manual cars? HUMMM Second more people will buy an auto, HELPING the product line. There for making it better for everyone.

I can not believe that an intelligent person cant understand that fact that drone is just wrong in a factory car, this car of all GM cars that Gm needs to get on the road to stay alive in the credit money mess that they are in. IF they dont get feedback from buyers and things are not fixed they will lose even more market to other car makers.

Danny

lol/ Ur panties are in a bunch.

In the 4+ years V1 has been out there has not been a single complaint about the car being to loud, or too harsh, or too fast over in the V1 forum.

In the first week of release oer here we've gotten a lot of that.

Reason?

The auto tranny brings in a different clientel. A soft whining wimpy clientel. Unless you have shrap in your knee from 'nam, you should man up and get an manual tranny. The auto removes you too much from the driving experience. This is from a guy that drives 80+ miles / day in stop and go traffic, so save the arguments.

-Chris

Watching the wussification of V ownership.

Kadonny
12-17-08, 04:46 PM
So how do you really feel abut the automatic Trukk?

trukk
12-17-08, 04:54 PM
So how do you really feel abut the automatic Trukk?

LOL :histeric:

Look I know I'm being a bit harsh, and having more V's out there is a good thing, and the only way to do that is to offer an auto. I GET THAT.

I just don't get having a sports sedan with an auto. It sucks all the fun out of the car.

I'm going to be screwed in a handfull of years when they stop offering manual transmissions. It is a very rewarding experience rowing your own gears (paddles on the wheel need not apply). That level of control really brings driver and machine closer together. It is something you can only do with 3 pedals.

I want a car that takes two hands and two feet to operate.

-Chris

StormCaddy
12-17-08, 05:03 PM

Look I know I'm being a bit harsh, and having more V's out there is a good thing, and the only way to do that is to offer an auto. I GET THAT.

I just don't get having a sports sedan with an auto. It sucks all the fun out of the car.

I'm going to be screwed in a handfull of years when they stop offering manual transmissions. It is a very rewarding experience rowing your own gears (paddles on the wheel need not apply). That level of control really brings driver and machine closer together. It is something you can only do with 3 pedals.

-Chris

This'll break a lot of manual hearts, but at the Monticello driving lab, Andy Pilgrim told me in person, "if I was buying a V today; I'd get the auto!" The transmission is amazing in the car, Andy knows it and he ain't a wuss! If you want strong calf muscles in your left leg in stop and go traffic, that's cool, but the auto is an mf'er (in a good way) and shifting with the paddles or the stick in sport mode is mighty quick. I just have an '08 DI and that auto rocks!

I love my reel-to-reel too, but my HDD holds lots more tunes and fits in the dash ;-).

Kadonny
12-17-08, 05:07 PM

-Chris

I hear you bro, believe me I rowed gears for most of my life. It just got to the point some nights from work I was beat, then row gears while sitting in traffic really blew. I have 2 cars that have manual trans in them that are toys, so when I get my manual trans withdrawl, I can jump in one of those to get my fix.

I think the V2 automatic is perfect with the shift paddles. If I want to play and interact with the car (cool throttle blips too), put it in manual mode and play. If I'm tired, keep it in auto and just relax going home.

Just for me the automatic is perfect....but sometimes it kills me that it is.

thebigjimsho
12-17-08, 05:19 PM
This'll break a lot of manual hearts, but at the Monticello driving lab, Andy Pilgrim told me in person, "if I was buying a V today; I'd get the auto!" The transmission is amazing in the car, Andy knows it and he ain't a wuss! If you want strong calf muscles in your left leg in stop and go traffic, that's cool, but the auto is an mf'er (in a good way) and shifting with the paddles or the stick in sport mode is mighty quick. I just have an '08 DI and that auto rocks!

I love my reel-to-reel too, but my HDD holds lots more tunes and fits in the dash ;-).I've always driven manuals, but like Andy said, if the auto V is faster...

CIWS
12-17-08, 05:45 PM
I did for 3 years in my 06 XLR-V and is 4.4

Danny

No shit sherlock. That's why the STS-V and XLR-V have the same engine, except the STS-V produces more HP. I was asking verbs out of curiosity where he saw a 4.6ltr version.

CIWS
12-17-08, 05:47 PM

That's so I can keep one arm free to swing my cane at you out the window as I drive by :wisdom:

trukk
12-17-08, 05:52 PM
I've always driven manuals, but like Andy said, if the auto V is faster...

Which is more fun to drive?

-Chris

thebigjimsho
12-17-08, 06:34 PM
Which is more fun to drive?

-ChrisWell, when I'm entering the Hog Pen and I have fingers at the ready to shift and I have my left foot modulating the brake while applying steady throttle with my right foot, maximizing my exit speed down the front straight, then I'll let you know...

CopperSunburstCTS
12-17-08, 08:09 PM

Of course its an exhasut design flaw, gee, thanks for clearing that up! But again, that is not the point, the point is still it's a CADILLAC, a REFINED LUXURY sports sedan, the Standard of the World, NOT a Chevy or even a Vette. It SHOULD have a more refined exhaust design than that of a Chevy or a Vette. And it is ALL RELATIVE, of course there are going to be some exhaust sounds at certain rpms that are louder than others, but there is a point that it is considered ANNOYING DRONE, not the sweet sound of my Vette exhaust or some other similar perfomance car. And this is at the point of truly being annoying, unless you are used to driving Harleys.

Again, a fine tuned exhaust can be sweet sounding, at least to me, drone however is NOT sweet sounding! You can have nice exhaust sound w/o drone, plain and simple.

And no one should be comparing it to the Gen 1 V, the Gen1 V has had numerous complaints from well respected auto writers all over the world saying that it is fun car but not a "refined sports sedan". Much to Cadillac's credit, they have taken the criticism to heart and has made the Gen 2 so much more refined, competing with the big boys of BMW and Benz (and winning!) which is why almost every auto mag is saying great things about it. As a result they will sell many more of these than the Gen 1. But they screwed up on the exhaust design, period. You can have a muted but sweet exhaust sound and still not have loud drone at 65-75 under certain conditions that ARE used a lot, it isnt rare to be cruising at that speed. Good exhaust and no drone are NOT mutually exclusive! One should not have to either speed up or slow down out of the range of the drone just so they dont have to be annoyed by their $65k luxury sports sedan. If you want to make your exhaust louder, that is up to personal taste, knock yourself out. But i doubt anyone would want to add the drone you get on this car.

The originaly poster reporting on the drone is not looking for sympathy, just some support, he had every reason to believe he was purchasing a refined LUXURY sports sedan. If he was buying a Viper or a ZR1 then hey, I would agree, and maybe say "what did you expect" and "buyer beware".

CopperSunburstCTS
12-17-08, 08:20 PM

-Chris

Yes but some people, actually a LOT of people don't share your opinuion, it is a matter of taste, no one is right or wrong for chosing the tranny of THEIR choice. One should be tolerant of other's choices. and like you, I say the paddles on the wheel dont even come close to the feeling of shifting gears. My first manual tranny car was a Caddilac, go figure! And it was the critically acclaimed Getrag 5 speed, it was the best feeling manual I have ever driven. I loved it! However, while it provied much fun and a feeling of "connection with your car" it got annoying in Washington DC traffic. While many times it provided THE enjoyment of my CTS, most times it distracted from the enjoyment. It just depended on different circumstances. Now that it is gone, i miss driving a stick, sometimes. I need to find a cheaper car to help justify it to fill that void on weekends.

2004ctsv
12-17-08, 08:35 PM
I just got to this thread and had to add my 2¢
I have an 04 w/ s/c and corsa and no drone.
When new and stock there was no drone. I would have been pissed if it did. So I sympathize w/ Dan on that one. Caddy should make amends.

But too loud? You bought the wrong car, brother. Most of us changed the exhaust out to get some V8 rumble when hitting the throttle.

Maybe I should take it off your hands. After retirement, my hearing may be going south and the garage queen isn't as throaty as she used to be. I may need some new noise.

BTW (from out of left field and off subject) - I thought the Cryboys were in Dallas but I see that they're in Baltimore too. Black and Gold, baby

T

Nutz
12-17-08, 08:51 PM
Here it is. The sole opinion of Nutz. No facts, just opinion.

After a pretty nerddy test in many ways to confirm and re-confirm this for myself (and by the way I looked like a tourist with my camera gear I might add).

The 09 Cts-V automatic is louder. Yes, it is to my ears. I will post comparisons on youtube and here after I help my kids with homework, priorities, ya know. My best description is that it sounds like it's pushing a stall converter like in a street rod, you have a working hum that resonates.
Is it significant? No.
Is it unbearable? No.
Is it expected? Probably not by some.
Is it acceptable? I believe the engineers have accepted it. I say yes.

Thoredan:
I believe you are proven correct.

I just have a few more opinions to express before working on the vids, For pete's sake no more flaming! Save it for the people that have your money! I think you are spending your first soon-to-be 100 posts here using this forum as a psychiatric crutch for this hate for your muffler system. Now post some damn pics in the sticky like Short Throw and Caddiedrummer and tell us what you like about the damned car. Show some validation for the good money spent on it. And while your at it become a supporter, or maybe buy Sal a drink!

You were right it's louder, and I know these are strong words. But welcome to the Cadillac Forum, It's a love-hate relationship. As with this problem we will help each other when given a chance. Be cool brah.

And my opinion 1 more time. Trukk, you rock, your thoughts in this thread are dead-on! This 09V is going to open up new worlds of people. We'll work it out though.
And oh yeah, I just talked to Jim Jr. from Corsa. He's flying into Chicago tomorrow to pick up the 09 R&D car, with a plan already in place to as usual look into eliminating drone but still make more H.P.:thumbsup:

Now stay tuned for some cool vids with some heart-pumping American V8 thunder!:cool:

Over and out.

Nutz
12-17-08, 10:08 PM
Turn your bass up on your computer, it helps to decipher sound variation.

Props to Dave Towell cadillac/Saab in Akron, Ohio!! They have better things to do than help me do this, and they enthusiastically helped. Black raven Manual and a this White Diamond Manual on top available for sale immediately.:D

Top is Manual Trans car Bottom is Automatic Trans car
1s1zO03Mjzk

hnkozOgWLRc

The video sort of shows what is clearly heard in person. You be the judge...

thoredan
12-17-08, 10:44 PM
Thanks I knew I was not crazy, and in the first post of too loud I was wrong, I never had a car with DRONE before so I used the word loud wrong sorry.

dvandentop
12-18-08, 12:26 AM
wow is this thread for real?

the cadillac kid
12-18-08, 12:31 AM
yeah i'm still not hearing it.
nothing I mind, but if you can't stand it, wait for the corsa system & in the meantime, dynamat would be a good thing for you to look into.

GMX322V S/C
12-18-08, 01:13 AM
Thanks I knew I was not crazy, and in the first post of too loud I was wrong, I never had a car with DRONE before so I used the word loud wrong sorry.So is this (http://www.corsaperf.com/CorsaWhatIsDrone.aspx) similar to what you're hearing? (click Drone on the bottom-left of the linked page) --a buzzing or booming resonant sound as you sweep over a narrow band of relatively low RPM? That would definitely be irritating with a factory setup, regardless of make.

Koooop
12-18-08, 03:20 AM
Holy Mother of God!

Are you guyz sayin' that a 550HP car isn't as quiet as a Cadillac?

Who'da thought it?

Can you say Test Drive?

I mean ****! Seriously! You bought a car without a nice long test drive and you're not happy?

Do I need to say it? Someone does. DUh.

urbanski
12-18-08, 05:47 AM
nutz has a sexy voice :drool:

urbanski
12-18-08, 05:49 AM
sorry OP
my offer is now $20 and a box of slim jims. you coulda gotten so much more from me. have fun buying that DTS!

Nutz
12-18-08, 06:32 AM
nutz has a sexy voice :drool:

:urb:.................................:eek:....... .........................:getaway:

CIWS
12-18-08, 07:49 AM
Of course its an exhasut design flaw, gee, thanks for clearing that up!

No problem, you seemed to need it based on your last posts.

CIWS
12-18-08, 08:03 AM
The 09 Cts-V automatic is louder. Yes, it is to my ears. My best description is that it sounds like it's pushing a stall converter like in a street rod, you have a working hum that resonates.
Is it significant? No.
Is it unbearable? No.
Is it expected? Probably not by some.
Is it acceptable? I believe the engineers have accepted it. I say yes.

Thoredan:
I believe you are proven correct.

Thanks for going back and taking the time to video the cars to assist in this quandary. I think your statments above all hit the mark.

And while your at it become a supporter, or maybe buy Sal a drink!

Good advice for lot's of folks here. :thumbsup:

You were right it's louder, and I know these are strong words. But welcome to the Cadillac Forum, It's a love-hate relationship. As with this problem we will help each other when given a chance. Be cool brah.

Right on again.

Listening to you videos at the house this morning I could hear a bassier difference in the auto over the manual. Maybe because there's a 15" subwoofer hooked to the PC, who knows. If I had listened to it on normal speakers I may not have. Some folks it's going to bother, some it's not going to matter. I'm obviously in the latter, I get the same kind of note in the STS-V.

For those who want to say "it's a luxury car, it's not supposed to sound like that" Then for you Cadillac offers other options, how about a nice V6 CTS, STS, or DTS. Before you consider buying this car, especially the auto version, go and test drive it, drive it under all kinds of conditions before you purchase it. As Thoredan has discovered and pointed out you may not care for the sound this exhaust note produces.

lawfive
12-18-08, 08:31 AM
sounds like plain ole' exhaust drone. I know borla has a category of " touring " exhaust systems that have high performance but subdued noise. I have one on my jeep srt8 and its quieter than the stock exhaust. So far thats the only fix i know of. Outside of screwing

Screwing works. Drowns out other noise or makes you not care. Whatever. Yum.

chris1268
12-18-08, 09:24 AM
Here it is. The sole opinion of Nutz. No facts, just opinion.

And my opinion 1 more time. Trukk, you rock, your thoughts in this thread are dead-on! This 09V is going to open up new worlds of people. We'll work it out though.
And oh yeah, I just talked to Jim Jr. from Corsa. He's flying into Chicago tomorrow to pick up the 09 R&D car, with a plan already in place to as usual look into eliminating drone but still make more H.P.:thumbsup:

Now stay tuned for some cool vids with some heart-pumping American V8 thunder!:cool:

Over and out.

Nutz,

We actually had to push it back to Monday. I need to drive her one more time before she goes with Jim Jr. We are supposed to get 11 inches of snow tonight, so not a good night to travel from here. I had a Corsa on my 04 V1 and was more than happy (no drone) so hopefully this one will pan out even better. Can't wait to see the vids.

trukk
12-18-08, 10:01 AM
Yes but some people, actually a LOT of people don't share your opinuion, it is a matter of taste, no one is right or wrong for chosing the tranny of THEIR choice. One should be tolerant of other's choices. and like you, I say the paddles on the wheel dont even come close to the feeling of shifting gears. My first manual tranny car was a Caddilac, go figure! And it was the critically acclaimed Getrag 5 speed, it was the best feeling manual I have ever driven. I loved it! However, while it provied much fun and a feeling of "connection with your car" it got annoying in Washington DC traffic. While many times it provided THE enjoyment of my CTS, most times it distracted from the enjoyment. It just depended on different circumstances. Now that it is gone, i miss driving a stick, sometimes. I need to find a cheaper car to help justify it to fill that void on weekends.

Bah, there is no discussion, I'M ALWAYS RIGHT...now wasn't that easy?

BTW, my 80+ miles perday is in DC traffic.

Props to Dave Towell cadillac/Saab in Akron, Ohio!! They have better things to do than help me do this, and they enthusiastically helped. Black raven Manual and a this White Diamond Manual on top available for sale immediately.:D

1s1zO03Mjzk

hnkozOgWLRc

LOL, nutz to the rescue. That's a lot of work right there, to pacify the vagi...err folks in here.

Moral of the story....by and M6!

-Chris

Vrocks
12-18-08, 11:43 PM
I went over and test drove the new V, with an auto. I can't hear anything that would be considered annoying. I tested the car for a few minutes between 65 and 70 mph in 6th gear, with very light, light and medium light throttle. I think there may be a problem with your car Dan.

I also had an XLR-V... and yes, that car was definitely quieter than the new V, but it also made 130 less HP. I personally would like a louder exhaust to help cover up some of the SC noise (which is also minor).

One thing I was surprised by, was how easy it is to drive. I think the car could handle quite a bit more power. :yup:

CopperSunburstCTS
12-18-08, 11:44 PM
I have to say, many people of late in the V forum tend seem to throw their 2 cents worth in while popping testosterone pills and washing them down with a good 10W30. Either that or some don't really latch on to what the details of the issue are. Some have said things like (paraphrased) "If you dont like exhaust sounds you bought the wrong car brother, most of us on here change their V1 exhaust to make it louder". That completely contradicts itself. Based on that logic, if everyone doesn't like the V1 sound and are changing their exhaust, then who are really the ones buying the wrong car? On the other hand, the poster that complained about the exhaust and expected a more refined exhaust with no drone, since you guys say the factory exhasut V1 has just that, and since the V2 is supposed to be more refined, he had every right to think he was buying the "right" car.

Then some guys have said or implied things like "what a whimp that guy is, most people on here WANT to hear the exhaust when tearing up the road". Again, you arent understanding the issue. The poster is NOT saying that it is too loud when going super fast. We ALL like the nice and refined exhaust sound when you floor the V2, but if you stop pounding your chest and comprehend what the major complaint is you will realize the problem is not about exhaust sound when flooring the car, its about drone, and its about drone at "steady cruising speed", with extreemly light acceleration, not flooring the car, BIG difference.

Another said "what do you expect from a 556 HP s/c car!". Thats ridiculous, it has very little to do with the power or the s/c of the car. Like was said, the drone is at super LOW RPM, barely using much of this car's power and the s/c is barely limping along for the ride at that RPM. People could use that same excuse when going from a 170 HP Oldsmobile to a 350 or 400 HP Vette, big HP differnce, yet Chevy tuned the C-5 Vette so great and it was a runaway success of refinement for an American sports car. Exactly what GM needed. And to some Vette die hard guys, maybe too refined, but then that's what they make aftermarket exhaust for.

Someone said something like "you gotta be kidding, you expect a 556 HP V to sound the same as a regular CTS, LOL" well, who said that??? I doub't anyone really thinks that, I could be wrong but I haven't seen anyone say that is what they expect on this thread. We all think and expect a better and louder exhaust sound on a V than a regular CTS, and the poster has had other performance vehicles so he knows what perfomance cars sound like.

Someone posted a video with the sound of the exhaust. While "A" for effort, and it is greatly appreciated, the video at best only can show "relative" sound levels between the manual and the automatic. Everyone's sound system on their computer or stereo and speakers all have wildy differnet variables of sound reproduction, not to mention the obvious range in volume we all control, so how is it supposed to replicate a decible level and tone of what is heard? One can make the loudest exhaust sound like the quietest with all the variables in this scenario. And the drone is heard INSIDE the car, and the accoustics of the car and resonnant frequencies of the frame and glass, etc all play into it. The drone also happens ONLY under a certain engine/tranny load conditions, which are not duplicated here. There is no way to duplicate this so that others can realistically and accurately hear it. You have to sit in the cabin and drive or ride in the car; if you havent done that, then you shouldn't be saying it isn't too loud or too annoying or calling the guy a vagina, unless there is no threshold for you that you find too loud or annoying.

For all the gear heads who love loud exhausts, I doubt any of you would say you love DRONE, we all need to stop making the connection betwen the two. Loudness is all relative, we all have our opinions on what we like, none of us is right or wrong. Just like some prefer Corsa, some like Borla. But I think most would agree that FACTORY DRONE at this loudness level is not a good sound, and it is not good for Caddy's image to have their car sound like an unrefined redneck mobile, thats what got American muscle a bad reputation in the first place (the upcoming Camaro will change that notion from all things I've read). Caddy is trying to make a world standard refined super car, thats not my opinion, that is theirs. If you want to change the exhaust and drool over the drone, then great, it's everyone's personal choice, and I'm sure there will be lots of aftermarket choices. But as we all know its a LOT easier to go louder with aftermarket exhaust than quieter, we depend on the factory mfr to spend a lot of time fine tuning the exhaust to take out the drone and still give us a decent sweet rumble sound of that mighty V-8. Soemone buying "factory " and not wanting to mess around with modifying their car should not have to look to Corsa or others for a fix to a GM design issue. They did such a GREAT job of keeping the supercharger fairly quiet and road/tire noise quite, and gave it a refined ride quality(for the great handing abilities it has). But if we stop trying to rationalize things away, all of those good qualities dont matter as much when the thing that will stand out for the majority of buyers looking for a refined powerfull luxury sports sedan is the very annoying drone. And keep in mind the vast majority of buyers are not on this forum, we are the extreemest, the "car nutts", and we wear that badge prowdly. But this is not a coarse perfomance Viper or whatever, its a perfomance Cadillac, period. The expectations of a "luxury sports sedan" from Cadillac are different from other performance cars. Caddy did such a great job with the CTS, even the first gen was great in my opinion, and in most every category the new V2 kicks all the Japanese cars' butt, and Caddy is even the underdog competing on the German's own home field and making an impact. So Cadillac, just make the car powerfull AND fairly refined, and fix the annoying loud drone and make it enjoyable at ALL normal daily driver speeds and claim full victory already!!!

Vrocks
12-19-08, 12:04 AM
I have to say, many people of late in the V forum tend seem to throw their 2 cents worth in while popping testosterone pills and washing them down with a good 10W30. Either that or some don't really latch on to what the details of the issue are. Some have said things like (paraphrased) "If you dont like exhaust sounds you bought the wrong car brother, most of us on here change their V1 exhaust to make it louder". That completely contradicts itself. Based on that logic, if everyone doesn't like the V1 sound and are changing their exhaust, then who are really the ones buying the wrong car? On the other hand, the poster that complained about the exhaust and expected a more refined exhaust with no drone, since you guys say the factory exhasut V1 has just that, and since the V2 is supposed to be more refined, he had every right to think he was buying the "right" car.

Then some guys have said or implied things like "what a whimp that guy is, most people on here WANT to hear the exhaust when tearing up the road". Again, you arent understanding the issue. The poster is NOT saying that it is too loud when going super fast. We ALL like the nice and refined exhaust sound when you floor the V2, but if you stop pounding your chest and comprehend what the major complaint is you will realize the problem is not about exhaust sound when flooring the car, its about drone, and its about drone at "steady cruising speed", with extreemly light acceleration, not flooring the car, BIG difference.

Another said "what do you expect from a 556 HP s/c car!". Thats ridiculous, it has very little to do with the power or the s/c of the car. Like was said, the drone is at super LOW RPM, barely using much of this car's power and the s/c is barely limping along for the ride at that RPM. People could use that same excuse when going from a 170 HP Oldsmobile to a 350 or 400 HP Vette, big HP differnce, yet Chevy tuned the C-5 Vette so great and it was a runaway success of refinement for an American sports car. Exactly what GM needed. And to some Vette die hard guys, maybe too refined, but then that's what they make aftermarket exhaust for.

Someone said something like "you gotta be kidding, you expect a 556 HP V to sound the same as a regular CTS, LOL" well, who said that??? I doub't anyone really thinks that, I could be wrong but I haven't seen anyone say that is what they expect on this thread. We all think and expect a better and louder exhaust sound on a V than a regular CTS, and the poster has had other performance vehicles so he knows what perfomance cars sound like.

Someone posted a video with the sound of the exhaust. While "A" for effort, and it is greatly appreciated, the video at best only can show "relative" sound levels between the manual and the automatic. Everyone's sound system on their computer or stereo and speakers all have wildy differnet variables of sound reproduction, not to mention the obvious range in volume we all control, so how is it supposed to replicate a decible level and tone of what is heard? One can make the loudest exhaust sound like the quietest with all the variables in this scenario. And the drone is heard INSIDE the car, and the accoustics of the car and resonnant frequencies of the frame and glass, etc all play into it. The drone also happens ONLY under a certain engine/tranny load conditions, which are not duplicated here. There is no way to duplicate this so that others can realistically and accurately hear it. You have to sit in the cabin and drive or ride in the car; if you havent done that, then you shouldn't be saying it isn't too loud or too annoying or calling the guy a vagina, unless there is no threshold for you that you find too loud or annoying.

For all the gear heads who love loud exhausts, I doubt any of you would say you love DRONE, we all need to stop making the connection betwen the two. Loudness is all relative, we all have our opinions on what we like, none of us is right or wrong. Just like some prefer Corsa, some like Borla. But I think most would agree that FACTORY DRONE at this loudness level is not a good sound, and it is not good for Caddy's image to have their car sound like an unrefined redneck mobile, thats what got American muscle a bad reputation in the first place (the upcoming Camaro will change that notion from all things I've read). Caddy is trying to make a world standard refined super car, thats not my opinion, that is theirs. If you want to change the exhaust and drool over the drone, then great, it's everyone's personal choice, and I'm sure there will be lots of aftermarket choices. But as we all know its a LOT easier to go louder with aftermarket exhaust than quieter, we depend on the factory mfr to spend a lot of time fine tuning the exhaust to take out the drone and still give us a decent sweet rumble sound of that mighty V-8. Soemone buying "factory " and not wanting to mess around with modifying their car should not have to look to Corsa or others for a fix to a GM design issue. They did such a GREAT job of keeping the supercharger fairly quiet and road/tire noise quite, and gave it a refined ride quality(for the great handing abilities it has). But if we stop trying to rationalize things away, all of those good qualities dont matter as much when the thing that will stand out for the majority of buyers looking for a refined powerfull luxury sports sedan is the very annoying drone. And keep in mind the vast majority of buyers are not on this forum, we are the extreemest, the "car nutts", and we wear that badge prowdly. But this is not a coarse perfomance Viper or whatever, its a perfomance Cadillac, period. The expectations of a "luxury sports sedan" from Cadillac are different from other performance cars. Caddy did such a great job with the CTS, even the first gen was great in my opinion, and in most every category the new V2 kicks all the Japanese cars' butt, and Caddy is even the underdog competing on the German's own home field and making an impact. So Cadillac, just make the car powerfull AND fairly refined, and fix the annoying loud drone and make it enjoyable at ALL normal daily driver speeds and claim full victory already!!!
:chill:
Guys, no matter what I did, I couldn't produce a droning sound... If it's as bad as you're making it out to be; there must be something wrong with your exhaust.

CopperSunburstCTS
12-19-08, 12:09 AM
"I think there may be a problem with your car Dan."

What Dan described is exactly what i heard on the car I test drove. I WISH it was only the particular car that he had (well not really, i dont wish that on anyone, but you know what i mean). And as proof I wasnt being influenced by his post, I never even read it untill after I test drove the car and heard the loud drone. And i loved almost everything else about the car! I immediately came back to this forum to see if anyone else had experienced the same thing and saw Dan's post. I was thinking (hoping) maybe it was just the car I drove, but i guess not :/

As dissapointed as I am (i have been waiting on the edge of my chair for this car a loooooong time especially now that the Coupe has been pushed back a year) at least I had the good fortune to get a long test drive (thanks to the great car dealer, a plug I will be giving later in another post) and made a rational conscious decision not to buy it, but I can only imagine how disspointed Dan must feel forking over the big bucks. I hope he gets GM to fix it, or some aftermarket company comes out with a fix that makes this car sound as great as it is.

thebigjimsho
12-19-08, 12:35 AM
:tsucks:

CopperSunburstCTS
12-19-08, 12:35 AM
Guys, no matter what I did, I couldn't produce a droning sound... If it's as bad as you're making it out to be; there must be something wrong with your exhaust.

NOW the above quote from VROCKS is a good post. Not becasue he is saying what we want to hear, but because it is constuctive, and its constructive because he is speaking from actual experince with the car attempting to help, just like the effort the video taping guy put forth. Much better than everyone else that has never driven a V2 and yet making fun of the posters issue. Whether or not VROCKS has duplicated the conditions, or he has and it doesn't exist on his car, it ultimately means that more research into the issue is necessary. It brings hope to us on the fence about the car, and probably to Dan. Thanks VROCKS!

Keep in mind the condition happens only on VERY light (i cant emphasize that word enough) or even non existant speed acceleration, just keeping enough gas to keep the TCC engaged and the speed in the 65-75 mph range. And if u are going up a verly slight incline, it may help to duplicate the conditions by putting a sight load requirement. But keep in mind when u accelerate a little more than slightly, or the opposite and let up slightly, the drone would go away.

thebigjimsho
12-19-08, 12:40 AM
Thank you for the etiquette lessons... :lies:

darjae
12-19-08, 12:53 AM
I will admit that I have followed this thread with annoyance and trepidation. The annoyance was from all the flamers (on both sides) who would not listen to that there might me an issue. It was always "you're a woman", "you ears are too sensitive." or "556hp is supposed to be loud."

The trepidation is that I'm taking delivery shortly (auto) and want to ensure that there are actually no issues. I will test my car in the same situation and report (1) if I have drone at all and (2) does it actually bother me. I have had many performance cars and will admit that I generally prefer a car to "growl"....

I love this car as much as anyone in this forum (and I don't even have one yet). I've never waited so impatiently to get any car (and never thought I would.) But, If there's an issue, there's an issue.

Let's work together and get to the bottom of this. I would suggest a thread (I know, another one! and I'm not sure that it's possible), that is simple "I have the car and I can/can't reproduce it and it does/doesn't bother me). I think that would help everyone else who is trying to or thinking about getting this car and alleviate the flames that are 75% of people who've probably never actually seen or driven one.

MauiV
12-19-08, 01:05 AM
Trukks solution is still the best "fix"

Knuguy
12-19-08, 01:08 AM
I did not hear a difference, seems too quiet if anything. I am sure its louder under load. Stay in a higher gear and you wont have an issue. Get the W4M tune and get better MPG so you wont need to stay in 6th at 40mph

the cadillac kid
12-19-08, 01:17 AM
6 paragraphs of "blah"

holy v8, batman! relax!

a lot of automotive reviews of the car have said that the exhaust sounds subdued and refined, and multiple people in this thread who have test driven the 2009 cts-v have not experienced a droning sound, additionally, other owners of this car have not complained about it either. In fact, I recall an owner of a v2 saying the exhaust is his favorite part of this car & better than that of his M5 BMW. By my count, of all these people, only two (You -who do not own a v2- and Thoredan) have an unpleasant exhaust related experience. What does that tell you? Either 2 out of 7 people in this thread who drove an auto v2 under those conditions have way too sensitive hearing, don't know what drone is, or experienced something wrong with the exhaust on those particular cars.

BTW, you test drove the v2 before buying it, and heard something which turned you off, so you walked away didn't make the purchase (smart). But, the OP (Thoredan) said he test drove the car before buying it & heard this sound then too, but thought to himself "I can live with it." You're making it sound like he was duped or something. A lot of both your posts & his make it sound like "Oh, woe is me!" or "feel bad for me! get on my side :crying:" ... A lot of different options have been suggested, and anyone who experiences this mystery drone can go ahead take action towards resolving them if its as intolerable as he & you say. But if someone's intent is to simply bad mouth the V and cry about the same thing over-and-over again for 19 pages, then that "someone" is not going to get much sympathy or help.

One more thing, as with everything from cell phones to automobiles, the first year something new comes out, there are going to be some bugs that need to be worked out. People need to understand that, not expect 100% perfection immediately. This is where feedback comes in & manufacturers make changes based on consumer feedback.

thoredan
12-19-08, 04:25 AM
:banghead::banghead: For the love of god, 19 Pages is getting out of control for a post that was ment to help me gather information, Being so new to this, I had to talk to one of the kids that works for me just to find out what OP means ( i though it was Ocean Place ) my condo at the shore.

In any event I was educated about what forums are for, people checking other peoples miss spellings ( get a life ), People Slaming other people , "E thugs" and people just blowing off steam at others. And so very few people that try to use them to get information about the product and real life reviews of what people think.

I am finding that when something negative is posted about a car, and most of u on here dont even have a 09 CTS-V or even hear one in person are all too quick to post your smart ass 2 cent crap, like, Your a woman, get a set, wah my p***y hurts, play with photo shop while at work...etc. whatever. Yea, some were funny but Is this High School? At least there I could kick your ass in person. Then be your friend (lol)

I am not looking for people to feel bad for me, NO thanks. I have taken on much larger problems in life and allways turned out for the best. I will fight my battle with GM directly when the time comes. I was just trying to get information about a problem with this car and if anyone else thought the same as me.

Feel free to check my spelling and thank god people dont pay me to spell.
or I would be one poor ass bastard LOL.

Thanks
Dan Grawl

SRT8/BMW
12-19-08, 06:04 AM
good post Dan. Unfortunately--this forum--like most others--has too many who want to be aggressive and vent their lifes frustration on other posters. I try my best to stay away from those folks and ignore them. Like the saying goes, "never argue with an idiot--they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

I have about 900 miles on the new V( pic below) (automatic) and the Drone is very real. Now--for my personal taste, I actually like it and I will explain why. It has nothing to do with "growing a pair, being a wus..etc."

I have 4 cars- one- a HEAVILY modified 300C (has everything you can think of, from heads/cam/headers/catback/tune/ to Coilovers/swaybars/ Torque Converter/ High Performance Brakes, etc) That car-an 06- came with the MDS which was a nice fuel economy feature which shut down 4 of the 8 cylinders at cruising speeds and non accelerating-extended periods. One of my first mods was Corsa Cat backs, which were added before the heads/cam/headers. Now you want to talk DRONE-any time that car switched to 4 cylinders, which was more often than you may think, it was BAD. Not only drown-out-everything loud, but a very unapealling sound---kinda like an old beater car with no exhaust. Of course the MDS was eliminated when I added heads so--it went away.

On the V-the "drone" is seemless--its an extension of how the exhaust sounds under acceleration. It has a very appealing sound to me. Virtually all of my many car buds who I have taken for a ride specifically point out the exhaust at cruising speeds as being "sexy" or "badazzz", so it has a very strong, somewhat subtle appeal to it.

I could totally see how some would not like it at all--my sts-v had virtually no exhaust note under any conditions besides wide open throttle.

So--I am sure that an after market exhaust may change this--after all this car is already straight pipes from to back--it was built to sound this way intentionally. I remember many on this forum talking about after market exhausts for the car before the car was out--and I saw a number of those folks at Monticello-and they had changed their thought on that after driving/hearing it. But make no mistake--it is very real, its just that many would not even think of it as "drone" because again--they are used to that term being used to discuss a negative situation they have encountered with other performance cars. my two cents...
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z253/mjsonego/ctsv09.jpg

CIWS
12-19-08, 07:52 AM
snip..

Glad to see you got yours, and sounds like mileage is reaching the fun point. :D
What's your take on the car itself, especially interested as seeing the wide variety of other cars you've owned.

b4z
12-19-08, 08:00 AM
'93-97 Z28 Camaro droned at low rpms. '98s and up didn't as much, does that mean GM shouldn't have improved the exhaust and let it drone?

urbanski
12-19-08, 08:44 AM
but I can only imagine how disspointed Dan must feel forking over the big bucks.

i offered to buy it 5 minutes after he posted

Kadonny
12-19-08, 08:44 AM
CoppersunburstCTS and Thoredan, with all due respect you need to relax. I want to think I'm a respected poster here and one that rarely busts balls, in fact I always tell it like it is, so here is how I see it.

In my eyes it seems you want to create controversy and have people jump down your throats, why else would you keep coming back over and over. Your opinion on the drone/non drone is well documented here, as is people's objections to it. Time and more cars on the road will prove or disprove what your claim. Stop trying to convince everyone you are right and everyone else is wrong. The scenario will play itself out fully, believe me. If it proves that you are right and others are wrong, then they look like the asses.

Thoredan, say what you want about spelling, but it says something about your personality. Spelling and proper grammar are not important to you....obviously. For many of us it is very important, including me. I have chosen to try to spell correctly and use proper grammar in all aspects of my life and I teach that to my 3 young kids. How you speak, write and spell portray how intelligent you are, like it or not. Take pride in what you do, even in the small things like spelling. If you don't want to do your best at something, then why do it. You obviously are a successful person in life if you can afford a new V, congratulations. Now please act like one.

[/soapbox]

Now regarding the drone, I'll let you know my opinion on it next week as I am planning to pick up my new V on Monday.

readyact
12-19-08, 09:06 AM
For many of us it is very important, including me. I have chosen to try to spell correctly and use proper grammar in all aspects of my life and I teach that to my 3 young kids. How you speak, write and spell portray how intelligent you are, like it or not.

I don’t want to get tied into the disagreement, but I just want to say I agree 100% with your statement. Now let’s get back to enjoying this wonderful vehicle.

CIWS
12-19-08, 09:28 AM
CoppersunburstCTS and Thoredan, with all due respect you need to relax. I want to think I'm a respected poster here and one that rarely busts balls, in fact I always tell it like it is, so here is how I see it.

:yeah:

P-Funk
12-19-08, 09:56 AM
I have to say, many people of late in the V forum tend seem to ... :yawn:

To be honest, my first thoughts were the same as everyone elses, basically "if the exhaust is too loud, you shouldn't have bought it". Remember that his first complaint was that it was too loud, not drone. Something to keep in mind is that if you start out with several sentences of "it's too loud" and then mention drone, people may not even get to the drone part. Get to the point early, as long posts are not always fully read.

Other than that, :nothing2add:

SRT8/BMW
12-19-08, 10:32 AM
Glad to see you got yours, and sounds like mileage is reaching the fun point. :D
What's your take on the car itself, especially interested as seeing the wide variety of other cars you've owned.

I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE the car--nothing but great things to say about it. I was fortunate enough to get to push one around a little at Monticello, and now after a week of driving around town.

It feels as good as any car I own or have owned--it holds the road like no other, wraps around you in the cabin like a luxury cockpit, and responds to your inputs in a way that only one of the finest cars in the world would respond. The suspension, brakes, acceleration are no surprise--GM/Cadillac went to the top of the class here but have been in the big leagues for a while now with a number of their cars. What blows you away is the interior fit and finish, and the technology and amenities. This car has it all--and for the price (remember- my sts-v was a great car but not in this league, was $77,000) ..wow! This car would me my choice over the AMG and M5--cars which I have always loved and thought about purchasing. Now here is what I like the best about it--in the last week I have had DOZENS of people say to me-it is the nicest looking car they had ever seen, and at least 5 different females refer to it (some in rather graphic terms-and what they would like to do to it--no lie) as SEXY!

In comparing to other vehicles I own-well-like most on here I am a performance car nut--I like so many I couldn't name them all. So..of course-I love each of mine for very different reasons and they all have their own unique feel and personality. For example, my 335xi can pull off the street and on to the strip, and run a consistent 12.5 or better. Yet today-in Michigan, I left my house with 7-8inches of snow on the ground and another 6-8 falling and forecast. And this little awd beemer just eats it up. Total sleeper too--had a great time last week OBLITERATING a friendly cool guy in a G8 that wanted to run on the freeway from a 70 roll.

That 300C--amazing too. a sedan that handles, accelerates, brakes at those levels, and has the best exhaust note I have ever had on a car--just a ton of fun. A family sedan that can run a 12.8 on street tires and a 0-60 in the low 4s.

But..this vehicle-the 09 cts-v :worship::worship:, is in a whole different league. I never was one to want a car to get attention (I know-hard to believe from a guy who drives a purple charger srt8). But I have never seen so many people stop and stare, or want to talk about a car before..maybe it the tints LOL.

so..obviously--I love it and everything about it including the exhaust which is louder than some would expect..but to me..sexy as hell.:shhh:

CIWS
12-19-08, 10:50 AM
so..obviously--I love it and everything about it including the exhaust which is louder than some would expect..but to me..sexy as hell.:shhh:

Cool man, great to hear. I was curious of your impressions having known what you've owned and driven. I understand and respect your opinion on the different models, each having it's own pluses and minuses.
I'm still digging the STS-V for now, but we'll see how I feel in another year with it.

Kadonny
12-19-08, 10:58 AM
Cool man, great to hear. I was curious of your impressions having known what you've owned and driven. I understand and respect your opinion on the different models, each having it's own pluses and minuses.
I'm still digging the STS-V for now, but we'll see how I feel in another year with it.

CIWS I was digging my STS-V too until I got in the V2. After getting back into my STS-V to drive home the day after I made the deal on my car, you can see how dated the STS-Vs interior really is. That new long swooping center console makes the STS-Vs look so boxy and square it's not even funny. And you know how much I loved my STS-V interior.

This new car really is a marvel to look at.

CIWS
12-19-08, 11:00 AM
So far I've been avoiding taking the 09V for a test drive. I realize if I do I'll start thinking of ways to get one, and I should wait at least another year. :D

trukk
12-19-08, 11:23 AM
tew manie werds 'n this thred.

Here's the cliff notes:

1) Therodan says his car drones.
2) Everone piles on and calls him a whiner
3) Trukk is an ass
4) Sunburst defends (not so well) SRT8 does as well (much better job)
6) Kadonnay tells everyone to STFU
7) We all have a big :grouphug:

-Chris

thoredan
12-19-08, 12:13 PM

In my eyes it seems you want to create controversy and have people jump down your throats, why else would you keep coming back over and over. Your opinion on the drone/non drone is well documented here, as is people's objections to it. Time and more cars on the road will prove or disprove what your claim. Stop trying to convince everyone you are right and everyone else is wrong. The scenario will play itself out fully, believe me. If it proves that you are right and others are wrong, then they look like the asses.

Thoredan, say what you want about spelling, but it says something about your personality. Spelling and proper grammar are not important to you....obviously. For many of us it is very important, including me. I have chosen to try to spell correctly and use proper grammar in all aspects of my life and I teach that to my 3 young kids. How you speak, write and spell portray how intelligent you are, like it or not. Take pride in what you do, even in the small things like spelling. If you don't want to do your best at something, then why do it. You obviously are a successful person in life if you can afford a new V, congratulations. Now please act like one.

[/soapbox]

Now regarding the drone, I'll let you know my opinion on it next week as I am planning to pick up my new V on Monday.

Glad to hear you are getting one too Hopefully you will be happy with yours.

No intention to create controversy, It was just all about drone till the rude remarks kicked in. Then defensive mode kicks in too.

As for spelling, grammer, yes you are correct. However, In 1998 while in my 1998 Corvette I suffered a (TBI) Tramatic Brain Injury, in a car accident, After 10 Years in recovery, Keeping (2) companies My Auto Deatiling Company and My Computer Support company that I started running and profitable, Being President Of Board of Directors at My Condo at the shore, Years of hard work, I found it supprising how intelligent is not just measured but how u spell but how u interact with people in real life. Talking to them recalling information using BIG words and making things happen with who u know and how they can make it happen. It has been my "never quit" personality that has made me a successful person in life.
Mis spelling a few words or missing a key here or there if I never get that back no big deal.

Just remember we are only on the planet for a limited number of years, days hours mins sec. you never know when its gona be over...

thoredan
12-19-08, 12:24 PM

Here's the cliff notes:

3) Trukk is an ass

-Chris
Sad part I was able to read "tew manie werds'n this thred" and thought it was spelled right (LOL)
Perfect Cliff notes too.

SRT8/BMW
12-19-08, 12:32 PM

Here's the cliff notes:

3) Trukk is an ass

-Chris

HiLARIOUS. Thank you--you just made me laugh harder than I have in a long time!!

Fire and Ice
12-19-08, 12:49 PM

Here's the cliff notes:

3) Trukk is an ass

-Chris

Good one! :histeric:

Kadonny
12-19-08, 12:55 PM
Trukk, STFU already.

dkozloski
12-19-08, 01:06 PM
To each his drone. Some guys can't stand it and others install a fart can muffler so that everybody within a mile can enjoy along with him. Over the years, Ferrari has spend untold wealth ensuring that every car they make has just the right fierce exhaust note and I have never heard anybody complain about them. You're either a "Hot Rod Magazine" guy where when you mash the gas and it has to go and nothing else matters or you're a "Car Craft Magazine" guy and all that matters is style and chrome.
If you don't like the way the car sounds as you bought it you can always take it to a good custom exhaust shop and have it modified. It's a bit presumptive to take it back to the dealer and demand they change the sound. You might as well be asking them to change other features like the number of doors or the color. You bought it so you either live with it or pay to change it.

trukk
12-19-08, 01:34 PM
Good one! :histeric:

I'm sure you guys enjoyed my self admission on #3. It's true, and I admit it.

Trukk, STFU already.

I will :shutit:

-Chris

Florian
12-19-08, 03:03 PM
so far i've been avoiding taking the 09v for a test drive. I realize if i do i'll start thinking of ways to get one, and i should wait at least another year. :d

z > v

-F

CopperSunburstCTS
12-19-08, 06:47 PM
CoppersunburstCTS and Thoredan, with all due respect you need to relax. In my eyes it seems you want to create controversy and have people jump down your throats, why else would you keep coming back over and over. Your opinion on the drone/non drone is well documented here, as is people's objections to it. Time and more cars on the road will prove or disprove what your claim. Stop trying to convince everyone you are right and everyone else is wrong. The scenario will play itself out fully, believe me. If it proves that you are right and others are wrong, then they look like the asses.

You obviously are a successful person in life if you can afford a new V, congratulations. Now please act like one.

You couldn't be furhter from the truth. I (and i doubt the original poster) are not trying to create contoversy. We wrote so much because we got tired of hearing the flamers (a) call him a wimp or worse, (b) make comments that, like one poster stated, are coming from 75% of people who never even drove one, and (c) totally fabricate what what was said or what the issue was, which is not, and never has been, the loudness of the exhaust, which we all seem to agree on is pretty sweet, save for the drone.

Even the comments that say "I dont hear it" are valuable, right? They truly are, it essentially says that maybe, just maybe, the drone is perhaps on 2 or 3 out of the 7 cars that members have driven. But what is REALLY valuable is it tells persepctive buyers who are lucky enough to stumble upon this forum exactly what and how to listen for the drone, possibly saving them a $65k nitemare IF they find it objectionable on a daily driver car. Just like the regular CTS forum should be congratulated by saving perspective buyers MUCH headache by telling them what to look for on the heavily discussed vibration/shudder issue that occurs on SOME of the cars, an issue Cadillac has admitted is problem. Thanks to THIS forum those people now know how to test drive the car they want to buy under certain conditions and decide if it is one of the particular ones that have the problem. Wow, what a valuable tool this forum is for those guys who benifit in a serious way from it!

There is more misleading info and name calling on this thread than the Presidential campains!!! My long post (admittedly long winded, but there was a lot to cover) was all about the reasons we are posting so much. And now a poster is saying Dan doesn't "act" like a "successfull" person. Jeeeshh. Can everybody just leave the f-ing drama out, stop making smart-ass remarks IF the reason is to just get attention or pound your chest if they detract from the issue? Sometimes the comments are funny and appropriate in other less serious threads, but come on, don't make fun of people that shelled out what to some is a life savings for the car of their dreams just because some of you dont agree with his point of view. We all share ONE common interest, we LOVE this f-ing car, or at least we love what Caddy has done in the last few years in their return trip to the "Standard of the World"!

thebigjimsho
12-19-08, 06:57 PM
Thanks
Dan GrawlCan we just call this drone a Grawl??

urbanski
12-19-08, 07:07 PM
sure

CIWS
12-19-08, 07:24 PM
We all share ONE common interest, we LOVE this f-ing car, or at least we love what Caddy has done in the last few years in their return trip to the "Standard of the World"!

Na, I don't really own a :v:

But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

darjae
12-20-08, 06:40 PM
I'm pretty much ready for this thread to die and don't want to start anything else, but I picked up my V today. I tested my car under the conditions specified (6th gear, 65-70 mph) and I could not detect anything that I would term "drone." You can hear the car, but not really any more than my GTO. I asked everyone that rode in the car today and nobody heard anything abnormal or were bothered by any noise making it to the interior. Just added my experience to the ones already listed. Hope this helps.

CIWS
12-20-08, 06:47 PM
I'm pretty much ready for this thread to die and don't want to start anything else, but I picked up my V today. I tested my car under the conditions specified (6th gear, 65-70 mph) and I could not detect anything that I would term "drone." You can hear the car, but not really any more than my GTO. I asked everyone that road in the car today and nobody heard anything abnormal or were bothered by any noise making it to the interior. Just added my experience to the ones already listed. Hope this helps.

All owners / drivers own experience helps. Thanks for posting your perspective.

the cadillac kid
12-20-08, 09:13 PM
I'm pretty much ready for this thread to die and don't want to start anything else, but I picked up my V today. I tested my car under the conditions specified (6th gear, 65-70 mph) and I could not detect anything that I would term "drone." You can hear the car, but not really any more than my GTO. I asked everyone that rode in the car today and nobody heard anything abnormal or were bothered by any noise making it to the interior. Just added my experience to the ones already listed. Hope this helps.

thanks for the info, darjae.

Thoredan, have you tested another V2 out yet? If not, you should. You may just have a defective exhaust, which the dealer can warranty and give you a new one so you can be on your way.

b4z
12-21-08, 09:17 AM
A defective exhaust is a possibility.
My '04 SRX blew the insulation out if it's mufflers.
Dealer had several others do the same thing.
part cost GM $1500!.
i would take it to the dealer and complain and they'll probably order you another complete system from the cat back.

John B
12-22-08, 03:08 PM
Wow, I can't believe that I just spent close to 1/2 hour reading all of these responses to a very simple question and then to see posts that are slamming the poor guy for his "opinion".

Dan, I have a some experience with aftermarket perfomance exhaust system products since I have built custom headers and complete exhaust systems. I have yet to see complete pic's of the underside of the V2 exhaust but I would offer two thoughts here.

First, you could have an "X-pipe" installed. This is a proven technology that no only has proven noise reduction it will actually increase HP to boot! As I stated, I haven't seen the exhaust system so there may be space limitations preventing a simple installation of one.

The 2nd option that I would look at that may be more practical would be to have resonators installed somewhere between the CAT's and the mufflers. These typically are a simple "bullet" looking muffler (like the old Cherry Bomb glaspac's) and this will also reduce the db output of the exhaust without compromising the power output.

Now granted, these are two radical options but they will definately address your concerns. I realize that buying a new car means that you expect it to be "right" from the factory, however, it's possible that the design engineers never experienced your particular RPM in the Auto version when they made their final exhaust analysis and recommendations for production. It's even possible that with the pressure for more of a "performance" sounding exhaust that their concerns (if they had any) were overruled by senior management as just being "too small" of a concern for the masses that will buy this car, who knows! I'll be curious to hear what the GM rep say but please, start a new post! I don't want to shift through 22+ pages of posts for an answer after this!

I would like to trade my wife's C6 in for a new V since she really likes the way it looks but I don't want to be disappointed either before we buy!

P.S. Note to Nutz: I listened extensively to your two video's and I hate to say that I can't tell any "significant" difference bewteen the two. My limited education of sound acoustic's would tell me that since the Auto car had a closed wall corner in front of it when you took the video that this may have increased your "perception" of a bassier sounding exhaust since a corner will reflect bass sound waves. The Manual car was open to the front when the sound was recorded so it would stand to reason that it would not sound as "rumbley" as the other car.

Now, you can certainly argue with me and tell me that you were there and that I am full of crap and you "could" be right but before you do call me out you need to complete one more piece of analysis before your conclude that the exhaust systems between the two cars are in fact different.....compare the part numbers of the mufflers and cats! I would be willing to bet that GM did not spec out a different muffler or cat depending on the trans selected! Again, I could be wrong but I have the odds and GM's past practices in my favor. And by the way, thanks for the vid's....I personally LOVE the way the car sounds for an "as delivered" system.

jvp
12-22-08, 03:41 PM
There's a lot to read through in this thread, and I'm going to add my educated 2 cents. I say "educated 2 cents" because I have friends in interesting places at GM that have shared... uh.. well.. let's just call it "interesting" information about the V and its development. :-)

The LSA has, unfortunately, an ugly low-RPM flow issue with its heads. GM knows this, and knows it'll end up producing a potentially unpleasant noise in the cabin of the CTS-V. To answer it, they programed the automatic to downshift from 6th to 5th at highway speeds, under light throttle loads. To get the RPMs up so that the driver doesn't experience that sound (also eats fuel faster, which helps explains the auto's lower mileage). If the driver leaves it in manual mode in 6th, it won't downshift, and that noise will enter the cabin.

Stick drivers can probably mimic this noise by quickly shifting into 6th gear at a very low RPM, and then light-foot throttle it up to 75 or so. It'll take the car a while to get there. During the RPM climb, my bet is, you'll hear the noise.

That's about as specific as I dare to get, and no, I will not share my source. Don't PM me and ask me to contact him on your behalf, because I'm not going to do it. Take the information provided and do whatever you'd like with it. My suggestion is: DON'T yell at your Cadillac dealer or a GM rep about it. There won't be much they can do about it.

jas

trukk
12-22-08, 03:47 PM
There's a lot to read through in this thread, and I'm going to add my educated 2 cents. I say "educated 2 cents" because I have friends in interesting places at GM that have shared... uh.. well.. let's just call it "interesting" information about the V and its development. :-)

The LSA has, unfortunately, an ugly low-RPM flow issue with its heads. GM knows this, and knows it'll end up producing a potentially unpleasant noise in the cabin of the CTS-V. To answer it, they programed the automatic to downshift from 6th to 5th at highway speeds, under light throttle loads. To get the RPMs up so that the driver doesn't experience that sound (also eats fuel faster, which helps explains the auto's lower mileage). If the driver leaves it in manual mode in 6th, it won't downshift, and that noise will enter the cabin.

Stick drivers can probably mimic this noise by quickly shifting into 6th gear at a very low RPM, and then light-foot throttle it up to 75 or so. It'll take the car a while to get there. During the RPM climb, my bet is, you'll hear the noise.

That's about as specific as I dare to get, and no, I will not share my source. Don't PM me and ask me to contact him on your behalf, because I'm not going to do it. Take the information provided and do whatever you'd like with it. My suggestion is: DON'T yell at your Cadillac dealer or a GM rep about it. There won't be much they can do about it.

jas

What heads does the LSA and/or LS9 use? I just asumed they used the L92/LS3 heads. ???

-Chris

atdeneve
12-22-08, 04:18 PM

jas

Could this have been the reason for the delay in delivery that people were experiencing and the re-flash required?

Nutz
12-22-08, 04:58 PM
Sounds like combustion chamber cramping.
Pop a Midol in the gas tank every other tankful... That oughta fix er'.

Cadillac Tony
12-22-08, 05:18 PM
Could this have been the reason for the delay in delivery that people were experiencing and the re-flash required?

No. As I posted in one of the many "Why don't I have my car yet?" threads, it was a fuel trim issue only when driving like Grandma and using Winter Blend gasoline that might trigger an SES light.

As far as all the other stuff about "ugly low RPM flow issues with the heads".......yeah :bigroll:. Cars downshift from 6th to 5th under part throttle to avoid lugging the engine and rattling your pistons, not as part of some nefarious plot to conceal noise. If that hypothesis were true, every car I've ever owned with an automatic has this same secret flow issue, since they downshift out of 6th when I press the gas. 6th is an overdrive for fuel economy, and not intended for acceleration at all.

Noise from air flowing through the heads is impossible to hear over the injectors, valves, lifters, pulleys and everything else on the engine, not to mention the insane amount of sound deadening between the cabin and engine bay. What is commonly referred to as "drone" is a harmonic resonance in the exhaust, and is very easy to hear due to thin metal pipes that run the length of the car acting like pipes in an organ (and the fact that they're located under the cabin, which amplifies the noise).

The issue here is either normal exhaust "booming" that might be caused by a defective exhaust part, or might be normal for the V and this person is more sensitive to it than most.

jvp
12-22-08, 05:30 PM
The issue here is either normal exhaust "booming" that might be caused by a defective exhaust part, or might be normal for the V and this person is more sensitive to it than most.

Ignore what I said then.

Toodles. :wave:

jas

atdeneve
12-22-08, 05:40 PM
No. As I posted in one of the many "Why don't I have my car yet?" threads, it was a fuel trim issue only when driving like Grandma and using Winter Blend gasoline that might trigger an SES light.

As far as all the other stuff about "ugly low RPM flow issues with the heads".......yeah :bigroll:. Cars downshift from 6th to 5th under part throttle to avoid lugging the engine and rattling your pistons, not as part of some nefarious plot to conceal noise. If that hypothesis were true, every car I've ever owned with an automatic has this same secret flow issue, since they downshift out of 6th when I press the gas. 6th is an overdrive for fuel economy, and not intended for acceleration at all.

Noise from air flowing through the heads is impossible to hear over the injectors, valves, lifters, pulleys and everything else on the engine, not to mention the insane amount of sound deadening between the cabin and engine bay. What is commonly referred to as "drone" is a harmonic resonance in the exhaust, and is very easy to hear due to thin metal pipes that run the length of the car acting like pipes in an organ (and the fact that they're located under the cabin, which amplifies the noise).

I was actually searching for that exact post to quote it and ask if they were related. I understand this is a drone issue and, of course, we're not gonna hear air flowing through the heads. However, a flow issue with the heads may very well manifest itself as a drone in the cabin. And, likewise, the drone occurs when driving like grandma. So, I thought I'd ask...

thoredan
12-22-08, 05:42 PM

jas

Thanks for the information. It will help me.

I took the time to go drive a new one with 39 miles on it at the dealership today and took extra set of ears with me. This one did not drone and was a lot less loud then mine on the inside driven at the same speed and rpm load.
They informed me of other problems of new v cars and look foward to helping me, I was told that the exaust is not even made a GM and that 90% is from outside venders, they might just had a bad run with mine.

Good news is they may pay for a few payments becasue I am bringing the issue to there attention, and the trouble it caused.

Thanks
Danny

Cadillac Tony
12-22-08, 05:51 PM
Sounds like the majority of posters here were right, that it was an isolated issue due to a defective exhaust part (maybe a bad cat or muffler).

Glad to hear that GM is taking care of you. :thumbsup:

GMX322V S/C
12-22-08, 05:51 PM

I took the time to go drive a new one with 39 miles on it at the dealership today and took extra set of ears with me. This one did not drone and was a lot less loud then mine on the inside driven at the same speed and rpm load.
They informed me of other problems of new v cars and look foward to helping me, I was told that the exaust is not even made a GM and that 90% is from outside venders, they might just had a bad run with mine.

Good news is they may pay for a few payments becasue I am bringing the issue to there attention, and the trouble it caused.

Thanks
DannyWere you able to demo your car's drone to them?

CIWS
12-22-08, 06:27 PM

Thanks
Danny

That's good news thoredan. I hope they are able to get your situation taken care of.

Koooop
12-22-08, 06:45 PM
Good thing you didn't go all Ted Kennedy and run 'er off that bridge.

trukk
12-22-08, 07:40 PM
Sounds like combustion chamber cramping.
Pop a Midol in the gas tank every other tankful... That oughta fix er'.

:zing: ;)

-Chris

Vrocks
12-22-08, 10:31 PM

Thanks
Danny

Yeah, I figured I was either going deaf or something was wrong with some part of your exhaust system. Glad to hear that you'll be able to have it fixed.

the cadillac kid
12-23-08, 12:07 AM
see post 61.
Answered the same day the question was posted.... (13 days ago).

Nutz
12-23-08, 12:44 AM
Th thread that keeps on going... and

thoredan
12-23-08, 11:51 AM
Th thread that keeps on going... and
And going and going, A new owner is hearing the same thing in his new v (avoiding 6Th) I wonder if it is a "droney" as mine, I drove a different one back to back and it was not as bad as mine, I cant wait to find out if mine is defective from factory? Cant wait till my meeting in the January 14, 2009 with GM REP.

Vrocks
12-23-08, 03:03 PM
And going and going, A new owner is hearing the same thing in his new v (avoiding 6Th) I wonder if it is a "droney" as mine, I drove a different one back to back and it was not as bad as mine, I cant wait to find out if mine is defective from factory? Cant wait till my meeting in the January 14, 2009 with GM REP.

If your car is louder than the one you just test drove, I'd say there's something defective. I'm sure the engineer will come to the same conclusion on the 14th...

Heavychevy1
12-23-08, 03:18 PM

I love my reel-to-reel too, but my HDD holds lots more tunes and fits in the dash ;-).

It doesnt break mine and I'm a manual guy. It could have something to do with the fact that Andy is a pro and drives sequential race gearboxes all year long testing, practicing, qualifying and racing. So he doesn't feel the need for heel/toe at every exit or going for a joy ride so he can row through the gears. Plus it's not like the V is a sports car, it's a Sedan and I'm a hardcore manual guy, but I have a manual for the track so I've actually been considering doing an Auto.

The auto would have to shift extremely fast to really be better than the manual, the top speed being reduced by almost 20 mph and the noise, and the extra weight turn me off a little. And yes I do drive close to the 175 limiter they put on it. There are several tracks in this country that can have a V reach those speeds.

1s1zO03Mjzk

hnkozOgWLRc

I've been looking at that white car on Ebay, I really love white cars but the CTS white is a little to elegant looking for what I'm after.

Lord Cadillac
12-24-08, 12:55 AM
Part of this discussion really pissed me off. All Dan wanted was some information and discussion on an issue with his vehicle. His initial post was followed by a lot of harsh criticism and unnecessary bad behavior. However, things turned out well in the end. I suppose it goes to show that this community is similar to a club - and new (or unestablished) members get a little ribbing as part of their initiation. I may use this thread as an example to warn new members not to take things too seriously - because in the end, we're all just trying to get through the day....

thebigjimsho
12-24-08, 02:58 AM
Part of this discussion really pissed me off. All Dan wanted was some information and discussion on an issue with his vehicle. His initial post was followed by a lot of harsh criticism and unnecessary bad behavior. However, things turned out well in the end. I suppose it goes to show that this community is similar to a club - and new (or unestablished) members get a little ribbing as part of their initiation. I may use this thread as an example to warn new members not to take things too seriously - because in the end, we're all just trying to get through the day....
Instead of poking at n00bs, can we make fun of your supersized cell phone pic avatar?? iPhone too, I see. Alright...:thepan:

trukk
12-24-08, 09:35 AM

Thats it! No coffee fer U. :thepan:

-Chris

P.S. Yer avatard scur's m3

Kadonny
12-24-08, 09:39 AM
Instead of poking at n00bs, can we make fun of your supersized cell phone pic avatar?? iPhone too, I see. Alright...:thepan:

That photo is funny.

Vrocks
12-24-08, 10:05 AM
Instead of poking at n00bs, can we make fun of your supersized cell phone pic avatar?? iPhone too, I see. Alright...

That photo is funny.

:showoff: :histeric:

the cadillac kid
12-24-08, 11:29 AM
:want:

Fire and Ice
12-24-08, 11:48 AM

I'll go along with that :histeric: Just kidding, Sal. Happy holidays to you and your family from D3. We'll see you next year!

Lord Cadillac
12-24-08, 12:04 PM

Absolutely!

Thats it! No coffee fer U. :thepan:

-Chris

P.S. Yer avatard scur's m3

...but I AM quite thirsty. :p :bonkers:

I'll go along with that :histeric: Just kidding, Sal. Happy holidays to you and your family from D3. We'll see you next year!

Same to you! :) Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! (I think I covered everything that way...)

the cadillac kid
12-24-08, 12:07 PM
you forgot new years :p
:banned:

Lord Cadillac
12-24-08, 12:54 PM
you forgot new years :p
:banned:
Damnit! Happy New Year!

(happy?!)

Fire and Ice
12-24-08, 01:12 PM
Damnit! Happy New Year!

(happy?!)

Sal, It would have been really funny if you locked this discussion afterwards. :histeric::histeric::histeric:

Koooop
12-27-08, 05:20 PM

I wouldn't want to piss u off, I'd hate to get hit by that brick you're carrying.