: Rear heater in 03 escalade not heating

ml05
12-17-08, 08:07 AM
The rear heater for the back seats is not heating up. The AC definately works but when I tried to put the heat on the air flows through it just doesn't get warm and blows out cool air. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Melissa

fasteddyII
12-18-08, 06:42 PM
Melissa I will go out on a limb make sure your antifreeze is topped off!

ml05
12-19-08, 08:03 AM
I will check into that, Thanks!

oldworld
12-26-08, 06:41 PM
had a similar problem on my 03. It was a relay...works fine..nice and HOTTT

cadomine03
02-21-09, 09:00 PM
Where is this relay located and how much to purchase? Is it a dealer item?

BIGTAIL
03-28-09, 02:12 AM
I have the same problem on my 06 - what relay are you referring to and where is it located? Any help is appreciated
Thanks Lane

ce8204
04-04-09, 10:46 AM
The actuator inside the rear "air compartment" failed on mine & i just replaced it. it now blows hot air thru the vents

KrazyKeith
04-04-09, 02:48 PM
The actuator inside the rear "air compartment" failed on mine & i just replaced it. it now blows hot air thru the vents

So before you replaced the actuator, did all air blew out of the rear ports just being cold? Full control functions ??

Mine works 100%, but only COLD air in the rear so I'm wondering about this "actuator" also how much was the part? what is the part #? and how long did it take you to replace teh part.

very interested

Max-Q
04-05-09, 03:56 PM
Mine wouldn't work for a long while and then my battery started going out all the time. Once I installed a new battery the rear heat started working that day and I haven't had a problem in the last 18 months.

oldworld
04-05-09, 04:06 PM
I will inquire abuou the relay early this week with the mechanic who did the work and post it on here when I get it:thepan:

ce8204
04-11-09, 11:58 AM
Keith, I had the same problem, no heat from rear air, turns out the "air door" would not flip to allow heater core air to flow.

I actually just "switched" the actuator with the other one that is in the rear air box compartment. There are 2 used in that compartment. One is for HEAT/COLD air flow, the other is used for switching air delivery from ROOF/FLOOR. I now have "hot" air flowing from the roof vents.

Didnt cost a dime to switch out, but it is a 2 HOUR project as you must remove all of the plastic trim covering the rear air compartment.

I could have bought new actuator for 50$ to solve problem , but hey - i just needed some heat flowing to the rear seat area.:thumbsup:

KrazyKeith
04-12-09, 10:21 AM
Keith, I had the same problem, no heat from rear air, turns out the "air door" would not flip to allow heater core air to flow.

I actually just "switched" the actuator with the other one that is in the rear air box compartment. There are 2 used in that compartment. One is for HEAT/COLD air flow, the other is used for switching air delivery from ROOF/FLOOR. I now have "hot" air flowing from the roof vents.

Didnt cost a dime to switch out, but it is a 2 HOUR project as you must remove all of the plastic trim covering the rear air compartment.

I could have bought new actuator for 50$ to solve problem , but hey - i just needed some heat flowing to the rear seat area.:thumbsup:

Thanks ce8204!

Sounds like my excact problem as I have plenty of cold air, roof and floor in the rear, just no heat, not a major issue as spring is here in the northeast for the most part but I would still like to repair the problem of course, would you happen to know the excact part name for this "actuator" $50 bucks and an hour or two of my time is well worth the fix! I appricate it very much! :highfive:

ce8204
04-12-09, 02:23 PM
autozone info

Part Number: 604-100
Weight: 0.29 lbs
Application: With rear A/C controls

Sku: 852305
Description: Air Door Actuator
Quantity: 1
Redesigned Housing For Durability: Yes

Features & Benefits:

Dorman Engineered Housing Includes Improved Design. Robust Design Helps Prevent Premature Oe Failure Modes.

ce8204
04-12-09, 02:31 PM
part pic

joeyl717
10-16-10, 12:00 PM
Can anyone tell me where is the heater hoes for the back heater?

inksane
01-18-12, 11:43 PM
Can someone tell me where the air actuator is located for the rear heater. I am going to buy the part tomorrow but have no idea where the part even goes.

the cadillac man
01-19-12, 12:05 AM
buddy i did a write up on this it is in the faq's section at the top of the page and i do suggest you do go to the dealer and have the truck probed as it 140 dollars for actuator and i had the same symptom as you are having now and it turned out to be the module which is 100 dollars big difference trust me go to the faq sticky and click on the last thread in the list i did forget to mention that the rear piller cover has to be removed also but other then that you just follow the pics and you can service the rear air system good luck and don't rush also don't apply power while you have the actuator removed as it will damage it badly.
just a heads-up remove the fuse just incase it is the module bad as it will drain the battery mine did and i had to get a new one

CadillacWack
02-04-12, 08:59 AM
Same prob. on my 2006.... Blend actuator switch was replaced.. works great now. 86070

d16y8crxsi
12-27-12, 05:41 PM
Same problem fixed thanks !!!
The cheapest FREE solution is there are 2 actuators that are the same right there in the pic above. I switched them now my heat/cold control works but I set the floor and roof vents to both and now it doesn't control that part but blows all the time from floor and roof....but doesn't really matter as long as the temperature works right.....lol

the cadillac man
12-27-12, 08:45 PM
Same problem fixed thanks !!!
The cheapest FREE solution is there are 2 actuators that are the same right there in the pic above. I switched them now my heat/cold control works but I set the floor and roof vents to both and now it doesn't control that part but blows all the time from floor and roof....but doesn't really matter as long as the temperature works right.....lol

True it may be free but I tried that when mine went nuts and it did the same thing so be careful when swapping around the actuators as it could be a module or sensor that can be the culprit

d16y8crxsi
12-27-12, 10:13 PM
True. It was a quick fix im sure ill have to order the part anyways . But to anyone else it is a quick job i had it done in like 30mins so just get that part listed earlier and replace it...pretty simple

the cadillac man
12-28-12, 01:24 AM
True. It was a quick fix im sure ill have to order the part anyways . But to anyone else it is a quick job i had it done in like 30mins so just get that part listed earlier and replace it...pretty simple

Or a even cheaper fix remove the actuator and take it apart(kinda tricky with the newer design)and clean the contacts that tell the computer where the sensor is positioned my front driver side did this and that is how I fixed it

d16y8crxsi
12-28-12, 03:19 AM
Actually i did take them apart. I turned the knob to where i wanted it and reinstalled...seem like i couldnt spin the gears inside by hand so u just put them back where i wanted them...and the temp control still works but not the other...so i need only 1 replaced...

the cadillac man
12-28-12, 09:57 AM
Actually i did take them apart. I turned the knob to where i wanted it and reinstalled...seem like i couldnt spin the gears inside by hand so u just put them back where i wanted them...and the temp control still works but not the other...so i need only 1 replaced...

I used a 12volt power supply to turn the motor I was afraid to lose the small gears but I used a cotton swab on the contact tracks and haven't had a issue yet with my front air on the drivers side(I may do a how to someday if I get the time to do it.