: How's the fuel economy :-)

Swedie
12-16-08, 10:46 AM
First of all, I know you shouldn't look at buying a car with such a big motor and expect any milage. But I'm very interested in hearing what you, as the end user, have achieved on the highway... where I am a lot. What's the best Mpg you've done?

Oh btw, does the car have a real time mpg reader? Makes it easier to control the pedal to save gas.

We (Sweden) have an all time low gas price here at the moment, at only 4.80 dollar per gallon. We'll soon be at 6-7 dollar per gallon again.

Although I'm pretty good at eco driving, but I'm also driving fast most of the time, got a good amount of road rage and grannies in the traffic.

Currently have an Audi A5 3.0TDI and it does 40mpg on the highway. I love that. But I can't deny I want a bit more omph from the engine, even though this car moves quite well (280hp/580nm, diesel tuning box).

My car does 0-62 in around 6,5 on a good run and moves between 62 to 100mph in 9-10 seconds or so.

In all honestly, and please do exaggerate, so I can be convinced it's a good buy. :D ...

How much faster is this 09 CTS-V compared to my A5? How much faster will it feel? Will I get a boner? Maybe someoone can do a butt-comparison if you happen to have a CTS-V and an "older" less powerful car under 300hp? Or a comparison to the 3.0TDI A5 would be best of course!

I've never driven anything faster than a 350hp V8 machinery. I do race bikes (superbike) at the track so I know what acceleration is and I can handle a car, so don't worry about me being a sissy hand or not being able to control the power. I might sound 12 years old but I'm really 27 :want:

Okay, too much text already. Waiting answers, thank you! :)

Short-Throw
12-16-08, 12:38 PM
This car will make your Audi feel like it's standing still. That's no dis on the Audi, just telling you how much faster the V is. The CTS-V reaches 60MPH in under 4 seconds. The 60-100MPH times will be 1/3 of what you are experiencing.

This car drinks fuel quickly and with a continuous heavy foot it's in the single digits.. With cruise control you'll be lucky to see half the mpg you're seeing now. I've seen 19mpg with cruise set at 60. If you can live with sub-par gas mileage, there isn't a better 4 dor car out there right now.

Mike

chris1268
12-16-08, 12:52 PM
Agreed........If it's fuel economy your looking for, this beast is not for you. I appear to be averaging about 12 mpg per tank - city. I am a bit heavy on the throttle myself though.

atdeneve
12-16-08, 01:13 PM
Even with the limited amount of time this car has been available, tuning is available to substantially increase your fuel economy (at least 24 mpg), while gaining more horsepower and torque (+48.53 rwhp/+54.54 rwtq). Seems like a win-win.

parttimer
12-16-08, 03:29 PM
Seeing as how the car can do 0-100 in nearly the amount of time it takes yours to get from 62-100 I would say there is a serious difference!!

Swedie
12-16-08, 03:32 PM
Thanks! As I expected then. My A5 does crazy good milage, which I love. I try to convice myself each time I drive that I need no other car. But I really want a car that's quick as shit. It should make me feel good and since I drive a lot (for a swede 25000km is more than most drive that doesn't commute every day) I want it to be a fun drive each time :-)

About these tuning boxes... the cost of purchasing one is around here atleast 5000 sek(?). That is 3000 km worth of driving, or about 7,5 fillups (if I get 400km per tank) before I break even. Although in the life span you own the car, it might not be that much and it's always fun with a little extra punch. As if that would be needed on this car.

Either way, I should take one for a test drive, sadly the first cars don't show up here in Sweden until around April they say due to production delays.

Swedie
12-16-08, 03:33 PM
Oh btw, does the car have real time mpg reading?

On another note, there's a half large Cadillac parking here with 20-30 or so CTSs parked in rows. The red ones stick out like a sore thumb! It's just very nice to look at.

One thing though, if I get the CTS-V I wouldn't mind changing the grill the standard CTS one. The CTS-V grill is too pimped out like some ghetto gangsta.

Swedie
12-16-08, 03:58 PM
While I am at it. Another question.

Is there a lot of road noise inside the car coming from the wheels / wind? I most often travel far and need the car to be quiet. I also enjoy driving without the radio on.

The A5 is very quiet if I compare to most cars I've had. It was one of the reasons I bought it.

o1 SR-71
12-18-08, 09:40 AM
Agreed........If it's fuel economy your looking for, this beast is not for you. I appear to be averaging about 12 mpg per tank - city. I am a bit heavy on the throttle myself though.

A bit heavy...understatement!!!
:suspect:

Short-Throw
12-18-08, 09:57 AM
Oh btw, does the car have real time mpg reading?

Yes, it does.

Here's an in-car shot of driving around the city.

http://images.quickblogcast.com/72745-63839/money_out_the_window.jpg

..but it's worth every penny! :thumbsup:

chris1268
12-18-08, 10:34 AM
A bit heavy...understatement!!!
:suspect:

Come on now, your never complaining when your actually riding next to me in that new Vett of yours!:halo:

jjsC6
12-18-08, 10:41 AM
It seems as though nobody has addressed his most impotant question - will he get a boner? :stirpot:

SRT8/BMW
12-18-08, 10:59 AM
Yes, it does.

Hilarious!!!!!!:lol::lol: man that hit me just the right way.

I am getting about 13/14 in mine in "regular" driving...

As to the Boner--um..yeah.:shhh:

road noise--not much--impressively quiet cabin with the beautiful muted rumble of the beast of an engine...

and yes--there is a computer readout of MPG

Swedie
12-18-08, 11:42 AM
Sounds great guys! I like your jokes lol. Man I miss Cali sometimes... I lived there for a little over a year, illegally partially... haha. So now I'm paying for that. Deported for 10 years lol.

Does anyone here have a video camera, and can follow my instructions? :) I'll pay you by the .. umh, hour? I have some money in my paypal account if you need money that is.

I really would like to see video of the the speedometer where you're doing 0-60, 60-100, 80-120 and 0-125. And also if you could time these speeds would be great! Factory specs says 0-100 km/h in 4.2. I know that, but I want to know the acceleration between difference speeds.

My numbers are:
0-60 mph = 6,5-7.0 sec
60-80 mph = 3.5 sec 4th gear
60-100 mph = ~8.5-9.0 sec in 4th gear (For this I'm starting at 50. Not holding 60 and kicking down. Turbo lag is too different between cars to measure this, so I think)
0-125 mph (our 200km/h) = around 21-22 seconds.

The reason is simply that I want to compare to my A5. I drove it today, stomping a little extra on the gas and it moves quite well... but typically diesels rush down low in the RPMs then it quickly "fades".

vixapphire
12-18-08, 01:33 PM

LOL!

I felt that way about my E55 wagon; I can only imagine how much bigger the "window" is on the CTS-V!

btw, your photo-threads are excellent, Short-throw. Serious eye-candy. I've been hoping someone would do something as exhaustive for the xlr-v (the apple of my eye and hoped-for pick-up sometime in '09), but wow... GM hit it out of the park with the CTS-V; if this is where they're headed, please let's loan 'em the cash to keep going!

CadV
12-18-08, 03:27 PM
Look through this thread:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/156503-tuned-v2-makes-475-whp-475-a.html

He was getting 27mpg on freeway.

vmaniac
12-18-08, 09:05 PM
I sucks fuel big time.
If you have to ask...

CopperSunburstCTS
12-18-08, 10:34 PM
While I am at it. Another question.

I most often travel far and need the car to be quiet. I also enjoy driving without the radio on.

The A5 is very quiet if I compare to most cars I've had. It was one of the reasons I bought it.

If you need the car to be quiet, you definetely do NOT want this car, at least the automatic. This car can be called quite a lot of things, but quiet is not one of them, at least when cruising at 65-75 MPH. It has an annoying drone; there is a seperate thread on this subject that you should read before deciding. And if you are into listening to quality sounding music from the excellent stereo system, the drone will ruin that for you. Most other times it has a sweet sounding exhaust. When you test drive it, make sure you get to 6th gear with TTC engaged and use light acceleration or just enough to keep the car cruising throughout that speed range, then you be the one to decide.

Swedie
12-19-08, 05:03 AM
I don't care much for the drone issue as it shouldn't apply for me, I would buy the manual CTS-V.

The noise I mean is the generic noise let in via the chassi / car walls / wheel housing etc. I dislike road noise. The engine itself though my roar as much as it like, on acceleration that is.