: no oil to lifters

tim1969
12-15-08, 04:29 PM
I have a 2000 catera and I am not getting any oil to the lifters . This car had the timing belt break and the heads were pulled for bent valves everything was rapaired and put back together and after drving for about 60 miles the lifters started pecking. I have good oil pressure about 60psi and the bottom of the engine is getting pleanty of oil but none of the lifters are getting oil. Other than no oil at the lifters the car seems to run fine. I pulled the oil pan and it is clean and the oil pickup tube is clean. Any help would greatly appreciated.

gunther1000
01-28-09, 10:36 AM
Sorry your not getting any inteligent replies here, but that seems to be the norm if your not talking about adding a fin or rims....

But I did spot this that may or not apply to your lifters.

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1163080380

Maybe in the head swap something has clogged them? It would suck to re-remove the cams just to try this but It would be a start.

I have switched oil weight resently and it did cause my lifters to make noise. I was at a crazy high 15w 40 and went to 5w 40 and then they started. Maybe you could try a different oil first? Then clean and inspect them?

Again I'm not an expert or a tech like many that visit this site claim to be but I thought I would at least try to help. :thepan:

maroonedcatera
02-11-09, 09:15 PM
Just noticed your post here regarding the lifter issue. I am going thru the same issue on a 01 catera with 52,000 miles. Dealer has suggested that a possibility is that a "check valve" has plugged due to sludge. Not quite sure what this valve is, but it does have pressure although it is fluctuating. Lost one complete head on the car. not sure if we are going to repair the car as it seems to be a rather large estimate so far. the other option is to replace the whole motor.

I am discussing the issue with Cadillac at this point, trying to get some answers as to why this would become oil restricted due to sludge. Car has been maintained with oil changes every 3000-4000 miles.:banghead:

I also have a post in the catera forum under noisy lifters also. Check their for responses also

I will keep a post regarding any info I receive.

Regards................

ewill3rd
02-12-09, 08:19 AM
Who did the last oil change?
Did you notice the problem shortly after that?

I have been hearing about a problem that has been happening in some places.
The 3.0/3.2 oil filters come with a plastic bag with replacement o-rings in it.
Some genious up at AC Delco thought it would be a good idea to put this bag INSIDE THE FILTER and then put the filters in the box.
If the tech changing the oil doesn't notice the bag inside the filter, they'll install it on the car and when the engine starts the bag will shoot into the oil galley and block the oil passage to the heads.
The low end will be oiled, and the upper end will start clacking like a sewing machine.

The only way to fix this is to either remove the engine or transmission and remove the bag from the oil galley at the back of the engine.

maroonedcatera
02-14-09, 12:41 AM
ewill3rd,
Thanks for the response. I had the oil changed at my local Cadillac dealer here in N.E Ohio just as I always have. This is a 01 Catera 52000 miles on the clock and regularly change the oil every 3000-4000 miles. I just pulled out of the dealership after an oil change and actually drove 7 miles down the highway, stopped at the end of an off-ramp, pulled out into traffic and had this horrific rattling of lifters(clacking like a sewing machine). I did in fact pull off the roadway and called a tow truck.:annoyed:

Dealer indicated after removing one of the heads that it lacked lubrication and wiped out the cam and lifters. I did not have them proceed any further as the costs associated seemed unreasonable. Quoted a figure of approx. $3500.00 to replace the motor. Dealer indicated much easier and quicker to replace than rebuild.

I guess my next step is to ask the dealer if they could have caused this problem. I know I am struggling to understand how a regularly maintained motor with 52000 miles has a sludge problem as they have suggested.

Any other thoughts before i get the noose tied?:thepan:

Thanks again.

ewill3rd
02-14-09, 02:13 PM
They aren't going to confess, particularly if they don't know about this problem.
You might tell them you heard about this issue from someone you know and ask them if they know about it.
The ones we have seen haven't done any engine damage, the top end doesn't like to be dry but it takes a while to do real damage.
You might ask them to show you the damage and show you what caused it.
if they have the engine out tell them to pull the galley plug at the rear and see if there is a plastic bag in there.

I hate to get too involved in this, I don't like to create issues with other dealers. I just wanted to give you a heads up on what could have caused the issue.

maroonedcatera
02-14-09, 07:12 PM
Again, thank you for the response.
I will try to get some input the from the dealer. I did have the damaged head put back on the car and towed it home.

If I could ask though, is this galley plug accessible while the motor is still in the car or if the transmission is removed? Just looking for the most economical route, I don't want to throw a lot of money at this car. More interested in getting rid of it as is than spending money on it unless of coarse the problem was caused by others.

I certainly will be discrete:shhh: in my inquiries with my dealer and would request that I be permitted to be present when performing an inspection of the motor.

Regards................

ewill3rd
02-15-09, 09:55 AM
If you have the car now that is good, you can take apart whatever you want to see what happened.
I haven't had to do this myself but the last guy I talked to said that he took the transmission out and could access the plug from the back of the block and he got most of the debris out through that hole.

maroonedcatera
02-15-09, 09:22 PM
Thanks again ewill3rd, Appreciate the input