: Uneven rear suspension

shore
12-15-08, 03:31 PM
My 05 Escalade seemed to be sitting a 1/2" lower on the driver rear side.I pulled out the tape stick and sure enough the driver rear is 35" and the passeneger rear is 35.5".I measured with truck running and off.Same results.I sat in the back seat to weigh it down and still go the same results.This is something I have just noticed.

The truck has new 305-40/22's.

Any ideas>????

Rolex
12-15-08, 06:09 PM
My 03 was never perfectly level. My new 08 truck isn't perfectly level from side to side. NBD

shore
12-15-08, 06:59 PM
While that may be true, I'm pretty sure it wasn't doing this a few days ago.

The truck sits in the garage most of the time and i get to view the rearend when pulling in the driveway.It was rather obvious today.

Rolex
12-16-08, 12:05 AM
I'm assuming you've checked the tire pressure in these new tires?

Cirefly
12-16-08, 12:42 AM
Check your shocks - maybe one of them is spent. Mine had the same look and I needed to replace the rear air shocks. It should be easy to tell if one is wildly different than the other. You're looking for a cracked boot.

hcvone
12-16-08, 09:35 AM
Most GM trucks sit lower on the drivers side even new from the factory

chadande
03-24-09, 05:54 PM
Shore, did you end up replacing the rear shocks? And if so did it fix the problem? I've noticed that the passenger rear of my 2005 ESV is beginning to sag a little.

Thanks!

shore
03-24-09, 07:26 PM
I didn't do anything.I guess I learned to live with it.

2002VogueCaddy
06-08-09, 06:37 PM
bumping this thread as it is most related to my problem and it seems the OP never really got this problem solved....

my rear suspension is also uneven, but the compressor seems to be working fine. It has never been uneven till about a month ago when I first noticed it. The truck sits alot, its a 2002 bought brand new by my dad and has 18,000 original miles on it. Practically brand new. It seems like the compressor is only making the Driver side rear go up and down, while the passenger side rear stays at the same height. The passenger side about an inch or so higher and does not go up or down anymore when the vehicle is parked. The dealer made some BS up about charging 169.00 plus tax to ''adjust the front and rear suspension" but I'm not buying it. I've done quite a bit of searching and I wanted to know if the sensor that plugs into the shock itself, is that called the height sensor? Would i just need to test it to see if its getting power first or is this a more complicated problem? Thanks, my first post here on these forums, but I am an avid member on quite a few other automotive forums.

pcguy760
06-09-09, 02:56 AM
My other truck use to do this in the front end and sure enough it was my passenger side shock / spring going bad ... hmm are you guys sure its not the spring too if there are any?

shore
06-09-09, 04:09 PM
Mine sits for days at a time in the garage.That being said I also tow a 8k lb boat.It gioves me about 350lbs of tongue weight.I put it on with the truck running and the compressor kicks on and levels it right out and does not come on again.

That would lead me to believe the bags are good and not leaking.I still see it leaning on the driver rear though.It just doesn't bother me anymore.

If those level sensors/rods/whatever can be adjusted then that would certainly be helpful.

chadande
06-09-09, 04:24 PM
Somebody please correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I know the system is unable to apply different amounts of air pressure to the driver and passenger shocks. It simply pressurizes them both in a shared system.
I had a leaning problem and replaced the shocks. The lean was still there with or without air in the system. I ended up cranking up the torsion adjustor on the low side which leveled out the front and back to within a quarter of an inch of each other. The passenger side is still a little lower in the front and rear than the drivers side, but nowhere near as noticable. I believe it is more of a rear spring / front torsion problem than a shock or air pressure issue. I suppose one side gets tired a little faster than the other and it begins to sag.

Playdrv4me
06-09-09, 09:08 PM
Somebody please correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I know the system is unable to apply different amounts of air pressure to the driver and passenger shocks. It simply pressurizes them both in a shared system.
I had a leaning problem and replaced the shocks. The lean was still there with or without air in the system. I ended up cranking up the torsion adjustor on the low side which leveled out the front and back to within a quarter of an inch of each other. The passenger side is still a little lower in the front and rear than the drivers side, but nowhere near as noticable. I believe it is more of a rear spring / front torsion problem than a shock or air pressure issue. I suppose one side gets tired a little faster than the other and it begins to sag.

Correct. Rarely do they sit perfectly level.