: Fly wheel/starter prof replaced, now oil leak?

dukester
12-14-08, 07:49 PM
1998 Deville Northstar (78K miles) Owned the car forever.

2K miles ago, had the fly wheel and starter replaced, cause the starter broke and knocked 4 teeth off the flywheel (don't even get me going on this) . The car had 75K miles on and out of warranty (of course, perfected engineering).

Goodyear did the job, and they said they had to drop the trans & engine to replace the fly wheel -

My ? is, when they did this above work - is there anything they could have done to create an oil leak = cause the car is now leaking oil, and I do not recall that it had previously leaked, it did use 1QT of oil every 1K miles . . .

Could they have damaged the main oil seal, or the oil pan(s) gaskets when they dropped the engine, and replaced the fly wheel ?

I read these northstars are notorious for leaking between the (2) oil pans.

And yes, I have WAY TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many *#*#**#*# problems with this DeVille / Northstar (78K miles)- (babied the damn thing . . .)

In advance, thanks.
:want::want::want::want::want::want:

dkozloski
12-14-08, 10:23 PM
Get the car up on a lift and find out where the oil is coming from for starters.

dukester
12-15-08, 04:45 PM
They put it up on a lift, said it was not a large leak, could not see it leak when it was on the lift. They showed me the surface oil, and said it was common for these Northstars to leak oil between the (2) oil pans.

They cleaned up the excess oil, took a flashlight and flashed it everywhere, and were unable to see any oil leakage . . ..

I am thinking of adding 32 oz of bar's rear main sealant with polimers to my next oil change to see if it will stop the leaking. Again, the car only has 78K miles on it.

Comments please?

AJxtcman
12-15-08, 08:21 PM
The Flywheel Bolt MUST have sealer on them!
The bolt holes are drill through into the Crank Case. They are not blind holes.

I have seen this several times.

GM recommends that the Flywheel Bolts be replaced every time they are removed.

tateos
12-19-08, 02:41 PM
The Flywheel Bolt MUST have sealer on them!
The bolt holes are drill through into the Crank Case. They are not blind holes.

I have seen this several times.

GM recommends that the Flywheel Bolts be replaced every time they are removed.

Good catch AJ! Yes - the flywheel bolt flange on the end of the crankshaft are fully exposed to the crankcase. I did re-use my bolts, but they had what looked like RTV sealer on them on the factory, and I put some fresh RTV on them when re-assembling. As far as I know, I am not leaking from there.

97EldoCoupe
12-19-08, 05:04 PM
AJ, you know the design of the Northstars as well if not better than anyone on these forums- why does every N* have a thin steel shim between the flywheel and the flywheel bolts? I know they're there for a reason- but I guess I'm missing it. To act as a washer for the bolts is all I can think of.

But AJ is right, those are not blind holes- use RTV or other thread sealer on the bolts every time you remove/reinstall them.