: I think I did the bad thing...

Red_October_7000
12-14-08, 05:25 PM
So The other night I'm driving home in my Suburban; it's about 15 degrees Farenheit out, and I suddenly have to spit out a giant lunger. So I go for the electric window, which doesn't want to budge. In my Buick this used to be cured by rocking the window switch to loosen up the ice. So I tried this for what was begining to seem like an inordinate amount of time, until the window suddenly stopped working altogether. It is now stuck about 1/4 inch down, and it whistles, which is bloody annoying. When I press down the switch, it makes a little click from the switch. Nothing happens when I press up. The fuse is OK, I checked it. Is there something else, or did Chevy just put horribly weak motors in these things, and is it toast?

dkozloski
12-14-08, 05:47 PM
As Ted Williams said, you got more than you expectorated

LS1Mike
12-14-08, 06:00 PM
What year Suburban? It took the one in my Truck 20 years to final poop itself.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-14-08, 08:22 PM
It's probably either the Regulator or Motor....those were pretty common failures in the 00-06 Suburbans and Tahoes (yours is an 00-02 K2500 with the 8100 right?) I don't remember putting a lot of switches into those when I worked at Chev.

Red_October_7000
12-14-08, 09:58 PM
Well not quite, mine is the K1500 with the 327, (part of me wishes I had the 500, part of me doesn't want to deal with how thirsty that motor must be) but yeah, it's a 2002. When I press the switch up or down the motor sorta drops maybe 75 revs or so like current is drawing, but the tach or voltmeter don't move when that happens. That rev drop is indisputable, though. Thanks for the info, I'm off work tomorrow so I'm gonna have my mechanic look at it. *Sigh*... another day off down the crapper...

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
12-15-08, 01:24 AM
Yeah, you did a bad thing. Its amazing how quick you can burn up a motor if there is current flowing through it but it is not turning. I have had many motors in my R/C cars (hobby grade ones) catch on fire from the same exact thing happening. If it don't wanna go down just open the door.

dkozloski
12-15-08, 01:35 AM
There should be an auto reset circuit breaker in the circuit to protect the motor.

slk230mb
12-15-08, 09:30 AM
I'm on the second motor/regulator for my drivers side, third for the passenger. Dealer quoted me $590+tax, I got the parts from Lindsay Cadillac for $160 and did it myself. The hardest part is getting the door panel off, and that's not hard at all :)

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
12-15-08, 12:29 PM
There should be an auto reset circuit breaker in the circuit to protect the motor.

There should be, but obviously it didn't do its job.

dkozloski
12-15-08, 12:42 PM
There should be, but obviously it didn't do its job.
I've had the window on my STS freeze a dozen times and at least half the time I've tripped the breaker trying to break it loose. The breaker auto resets and everything is back to normal.

Red_October_7000
12-15-08, 02:16 PM
Well something happened... because I went out today to take it to the mechanics and the window was working. I'm not about to look a gift horse in the mouth, so I'm happy now. Gonna treat the tracks with WD40 so the damn thing doesn't freeze up again...

dkozloski
12-15-08, 02:23 PM
Well something happened... because I went out today to take it to the mechanics and the window was working. I'm not about to look a gift horse in the mouth, so I'm happy now. Gonna treat the tracks with WD40 so the damn thing doesn't freeze up again...
Your auto-reset breaker reset itself. No mystery here.

Red_October_7000
12-15-08, 05:19 PM
Your auto-reset breaker reset itself. No mystery here.

That's pretty much what I assumed. Just glad it works now!

LS1Mike
12-15-08, 06:30 PM
It could have been frozen, I have had moisture in a door freeze up the actual motor.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
12-16-08, 01:49 AM

Dude, at least spring for some 3in1 oil, not that cheap WD-40 stuff. :)

ewill3rd
12-16-08, 08:05 AM
I am just concerned about what happened with the reason you had to roll the window down in the first place!!
The suspense is killing me, did you find a way to get rid of that thing?
:lol:

Red_October_7000
12-17-08, 12:00 AM
I am just concerned about what happened with the reason you had to roll the window down in the first place!!
The suspense is killing me, did you find a way to get rid of that thing?
:lol:

I held onto it all the way home (I have a very short commute) and spat in the street. It was huge by then.

Also re: the WD40; I was putting it into the channels around the window, to displace water, exactly what it was made to do, not act as a lubricant. I use white lithium grease in the mechanisms when I have the door appart, which I will probably have shortly as the speakers are failing.