: Are we due for some new ideas in car styling?

orconn
12-14-08, 12:52 AM
Is it just me, or do other car enthusiasts find the current crop of passenger and sports car design monotonously boring. From their hoodlines, to their high waist lines to their Coupe roofed rear cabin lines, to a choice of three "c" pillar window treatments, all culminating in a minorly modified "Bangle-butt" in the rear. I for one am tired of the sameness of profile from one make to another regardless of which continent the brand comes from. The high wasteline and narrow window opening make for a claustrophobic interior, and the coupe roofline leaves the rear seat passengers with less than optimal headroom. No wonder so many have opted for the godawful monotony of utility truck design by choosing SUVs.

While I am not a big fan of the Cadillac CTS styling, I. at least find it more interesting than the symbiotic sedan and spotscar designs I see whenever I take the road.

ryannel2003
12-14-08, 12:55 AM
I like the CTS, but it's not as attractive as the '92-'97 Seville STS and '98-'03 STS. Please bring them back! :worship:

c5 rv
12-14-08, 07:10 AM
Given the current knowledge of aerodynamics and safety rules, including side impact and European pedestrian crash rules, there may be only so many ways they can configure one, two, or three boxes to make a vehicle.

Sandy
12-14-08, 07:55 PM
I'd like to go back to the 70s and I'd purchase one 1978 Imperial LeBaron 2-Door Hardtop, one 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham and one 1979 Lincoln Contenential Town Car, all with every possible option, and put two away and drive one for 4 years, sell it, and drive another for 4 years and sell it and drive the last one for as long as I could drive, or as long as I lived, but at that time I would be 74. All have a 440 Cu In V-8 or larger and weigh about 5,000 pounds.
These are / were / my 3 favorite cars. I like BIG rear wheel drive domestic American Corporation Luxury Cars.
I park my current 2003 Lincoln Town Car Limited next to a Mercedes E-Class and my car is higher, wider, longer, has more interior room and a smoother ride and can fit 4 fat people comfortably or 6 thin people. Has a V-8 motor, too.
Only current cars I like are Dodge Charger SRT8, the Town Car & the DTS Level III & Performance Group.
Foreign ? Yup, the Maserati Quatroporte !!

dkozloski
12-14-08, 08:25 PM
By the process of evolution the design for the ideal car will be arrived at and from that point on they'll all be that ideal design. The car czar will make sure of that.

Night Wolf
12-14-08, 08:26 PM
I'd like to go back to the 70s and I'd purchase one 1978 Imperial LeBaron 2-Door Hardtop, one 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham and one 1979 Lincoln Contenential Town Car, all with every possible option, and put two away and drive one for 4 years, sell it, and drive another for 4 years and sell it and drive the last one for as long as I could drive, or as long as I lived, but at that time I would be 74. All have a 440 Cu In V-8 or larger and weigh about 5,000 pounds.
These are / were / my 3 favorite cars. I like BIG rear wheel drive domestic American Corporation Luxury Cars.
I park my current 2003 Lincoln Town Car Limited next to a Mercedes E-Class and my car is higher, wider, longer, has more interior room and a smoother ride and can fit 4 fat people comfortably or 6 thin people. Has a V-8 motor, too.
Only current cars I like are Dodge Charger SRT8, the Town Car & the DTS Level III & Performance Group.
Foreign ? Yup, the Maserati Quatroporte !!

I thought Ford dropped the 460 from the Lincoln by '79, only leaving it with the 400?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-14-08, 09:18 PM
I thought Ford dropped the 460 from the Lincoln by '79, only leaving it with the 400?

Correct. The full sized Fords in 1979 offered nothing larger than a stout sounding 400 CID....too bad any thoughts of power and performance could be forgotten once you realized what they offered for horsepower......159 old, arthritic horses were all it could muster up.

As far as current car design goes, we're just in a trend, riding a wave of bulbous, awkwardly put together designs. BMW, courtesy of Chris Bangle, started the trend back in '02 with the 7 Series, and then worked it into the 6, 5 and 3 serieses, not to mention the SUV's....then a little bit afterwords, other manufacturers saw how the public was responding to it, and many of them took after the Germans...Toyota really brought it to the masses when they redesigned the Camry a few years back...the Camry went from bland and unoffensive to ugly and modern (well....atleast it wasn't boring). Now I'd say that Toyota has copied the "Bangle Butt" look the most and spread it across the line in everything....from the little Yaris to the huge Tundra and Land Cruiser.....but then again, when did Toyota ever have a creative, good looking design (well...aside from the last generation Supra)

Now most manufacturers are following this design theme, but there are still some that don't look like that: Audi, Bentley, Rolls Royce, VW, Chevrolet, Ford, etc etc.

gdwriter
12-15-08, 01:24 AM
Bring back tailfins!

To be realistic, however, I'm seeing plenty of good-looking designs from GM. Besides the CTS, which I love, the Malibu is a looker, as is the Corvette, Solstice/Sky and G8. I can't stand most of the Godzilla-movie looks coming from Honda and Nissan, but Mazdas still look good.

hueterm
12-15-08, 01:27 AM
Yeah, they're called the '70s....

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
12-15-08, 02:14 AM
Personally I think Holden (www.holden.com) makes some of the best looking cars out there. They came up with the design for the G8 (called the Commodore in Australia). Sure a few of their cars look like 7 series bimmers but they look a lot better than the BMW's.

Aron9000
12-15-08, 04:36 AM
One of the reasons I bought my 1991 Cadillac Brougham, is that it doesn't look like any other car made in the past 15 years. Yes its very boxy, very formal, very long, lots of chrome, but it still turns heads wherever I drive it.

I miss some of the classic styling cues including:
Upright windshields, upright back glass, combined with a rather straight roof for improved headroom
Long hoods
Chrome bumpers
Straight, upright grills, along with long, flat, non-tapering hoods. All modern cars have a hood that really slopes downwards towards the front bumper/grill.

The Tony Show
12-15-08, 03:48 PM
Aerodynamic research has played a large part in killing the upright glass and grills, as well as the non-tapered hood.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-15-08, 04:11 PM
One of the reasons I bought my 1991 Cadillac Brougham, is that it doesn't look like any other car made in the past 15 years. Yes its very boxy, very formal, very long, lots of chrome, but it still turns heads wherever I drive it.

I miss some of the classic styling cues including:
Upright windshields, upright back glass, combined with a rather straight roof for improved headroom
Long hoods
Chrome bumpers
Straight, upright grills, along with long, flat, non-tapering hoods. All modern cars have a hood that really slopes downwards towards the front bumper/grill.

I love big, long, boxy cars. The 1977-92 Brougham & 77-84 deVille is one of the best looking cars ever IMO.

Aerodynamic research has played a large part in killing the upright glass and grills, as well as the non-tapered hood.

Indeed, but I miss the old "screw you, aerodynamics!" school of thought.

Jesda
12-16-08, 05:49 AM
Cars need to be longer, lower, wider! Over the last 10 years theyve gotten too tall.

hueterm
12-16-08, 08:55 PM
That's so the soccer mom wanna-bes can think they're in an SUV...

Aron9000
12-18-08, 06:04 AM
Cars need to be longer, lower, wider! Over the last 10 years theyve gotten too tall.

:werd:

I had a 1999 Camaro Z28, it kind of took that philosophy to the extreme. It was a little too long, but man that was a bitchin' looking car, with its huge hood and long nose, and extremely low roof. It had Lamboghini proportions in a more useful package. The back seat was tight, but it held a lot of stuff when you folded that back seat down.

billc83
12-18-08, 07:05 AM
Over the last 10 years theyve gotten too tall.

One of the first things I noticed about my econobox Mazda3 is that it is actually taller than my Deville (though much, much shorter)! Though I like the styling of both, it looks weird when they are parked next to eachother...