: Thoughts on Lexus LS460?

c5 rv
12-13-08, 09:08 PM
One of my neighbors mentioned that with all the uncertainty with Lincoln and Cadillac, maybe it's time for him to look at a Lexus, a LS460. Despite the high price, he said it may have reasonable lease rates due to high residual value and/or be a good CPO value. I don't know anything about them. Does anyone have experience with these cars?

Playdrv4me
12-13-08, 10:17 PM
Every Lexus LS I have ever owned has been two things... Reliable, and Boring. I never had a single "problem" with any of them outside of normal maintenance things.

The LS460 is absolutely gorgeous from the outside. As far as I'm concerned, it takes all the best cues from the Bangle 7 Series, and both smoothes and proportions them out in a way that makes sense. Inside however its a bunch of hard silvery plastics and some very nice leather here and there, but nothing impressive compared to Cadillac, BMW or Merc.

Sandy
12-13-08, 11:32 PM
I don't even look or notice them. To me, they all look like various sizes of Camrys. For that kinda money, i'd prefer a loaded with tevery single option a Cadillac DTS or a Lincoln Town Car. BTW, which Mercury were you referring to, Playdrv4me ?

Spittin Game
12-13-08, 11:44 PM
I don't even look or notice them. To me, they all look like various sizes of Camrys. For that kinda money, i'd prefer a loaded with tevery single option a Cadillac DTS or a Lincoln Town Car. BTW, which Mercury were you referring to, Playdrv4me ?

Gee, what a surprise...:rolleyes:

gary88
12-13-08, 11:49 PM
I'd rather have a lightly used Audi A8L. The LS460 really does look to much like a Toyota from the side profil to me.

orconn
12-14-08, 12:29 AM

I agree with you, Sandy, on this one ....... the LS460 just doesn't ring my chimes appearance wise. Just another "me too" design which won't disturb, or put off the kind of auto appliance buyer that ends up with a Lexus in their driveway. I believe, perhaps you were being facetious, with you question about "which Mercury model" Playdrv4me was referring to, but among German autophiles, "Merc" refers to Mercedes. I only mention this because when "Merc" comes up in conversation I always do a double take as to which Merc they are talking about!

CIWS
12-14-08, 12:38 AM
Saw some guys from the SPEED channel driving around the Hyundai Genesis today on the track, racing each other, while we were at lunch. Couldn't hear what they were saying because we were in the bar.

ryannel2003
12-14-08, 12:53 AM
I like the LS460. It's elegant without looking gaudy, yet it blends in to the crowd a little too much. The interior is amazingly good looking and high-end, yet understated (hello Mercedes, please read). Would I drive one? Absolutely. I'm not the biggest fan of the super high-end luxury car; mainly because they are all extremely unattractive, save for the stunning Audi A8.

I'd probably go with the Lexus first, followed by the Audi. The others are a wash. Mercedes did a great job with the W220, but what the hell were they thinking with the new car?

I like Lexus alot. The only models even based on Toyota are the LX570, ES350 and RX350 (which looks nothing like Highlander BTW). I mean seriously, Cadillac has two vehicles based on other GM cars. At least the Lexus version isn't too similar looking. The DTS and Lucerne look nearly identical on the inside, yet you pay $10k more for the Caddy. Same with Escalade vs Denali.

Seriously, the whole "Lexus is a fancy Toyota" is no longer true.

c5 rv
12-14-08, 08:21 AM
If he caught the local news last night, maybe he'll reconsider buying foreign while living in metro-Detroit:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/18272208/detail.html

CIWS
12-14-08, 11:12 AM
If he caught the local news last night, maybe he'll reconsider buying foreign while living in metro-Detroit:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/18272208/detail.html

Just goes to prove that criminals are stupid and don't have a clue of how many cars these days are "American" and how many are not.

96Fleetwood
12-14-08, 11:56 AM
http://imgs.getauto.com/imgs/ag/ga/47/93/10/1G6KD57998U154793-10.jpg
Inside however its a bunch of hard silvery plastics and some very nice leather here and there, but nothing impressive compared to Cadillac

Are we looking at the same cars? I see year old DTS/STS/Escalades at the auction with worn out radio buttons, flaking wood, peeling door handles... and this can be compared with a Lexus interior?

It is hard to compare a $50-60K DTS/STS to a $70K plus LS460. The GS models are a better comparison.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3187/2989184539_8539f5a444_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3198/2989454898_b777c5a2b2_b.jpg

http://imgs.getauto.com/imgs/ag/ga/47/93/3/1G6KD57998U154793-3.jpg

Jesda
12-14-08, 12:12 PM
Like the Lexus LS400, I suspect its decent on gas, extremely well built, and very comfortable. Never driven one, personally. I sat in one but didn't think the interior was anything special, although the materials and assembly are top notch. Too much '07 Camry in the body.

Sandy
12-14-08, 12:13 PM
I agree with you, Sandy, on this one ....... the LS460 just doesn't ring my chimes appearance wise. Just another "me too" design which won't disturb, or put off the kind of auto appliance buyer that ends up with a Lexus in their driveway. I believe, perhaps you were being facetious, with you question about "which Mercury model" Playdrv4me was referring to, but among German autophiles, "Merc" refers to Mercedes. I only mention this because when "Merc" comes up in conversation I always do a double take as to which Merc they are talking about!

No, not really. In these parts, N.J. it's almost always called a "Benz" -or- sometimes a Mercedes, but never a Merc. A Merc is a Mercury.

ryannel2003
12-14-08, 01:15 PM
http://imgs.getauto.com/imgs/ag/ga/47/93/10/1G6KD57998U154793-10.jpg

Are we looking at the same cars? I see year old DTS/STS/Escalades at the auction with worn out radio buttons, flaking wood, peeling door handles... and this can be compared with a Lexus interior?

It is hard to compare a $50-60K DTS/STS to a $70K plus LS460. The GS models are a better comparison.

Exactly. Many STS's and DTS's come to my dealership needing new interior buttons and knobs and door sills. I'm not sure how we fix the paint peeling, but its quite common. Guy who works there has a '96 LS400 with 170k miles. Looks like brand new on the inside.

I prefer the styling of the DTS, but the interior of the LS460 is beautiful. Even though the DTS Platinum interior isn't too shabby.

TSS
12-14-08, 05:56 PM
Everybody beat me to it. The 460 is a REALLY nice car, but completely uninspiring. Personally, I would look at a 7 series or A8 as well before a 460. Also, seriously, I would drive an Avalon Limited before buying a 460 just to make sure the Lexus was worth the extra change in my own mind. The Avalon is also uninspiring, but a REALLY nice car for a lot less money and somewhat similar "feel".

I would not buy foreign , but have to say the newer 7 series is a hoot to drive. The 460 is just...well...really nice and refined. An STS or DTS performance is more fun to toss around.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-14-08, 09:45 PM
Like has been said before, the new LS is the LS to end all LS's....it's incredibly comfortable, cossetting, spacious, quiet, well built and above all, reliable.....and bland. Well like EVERY other LS ever made, it's design is a rip-off of one or more vehicles, so it's nothing breakthrough, offensive or ugly, but it pleases the masses. The first design was a rip off of the W126 Mercedes, the second (LS430) had cues from the W140 Mercedes in it, and now the third (LS460) has cues of the Camry of all things (gasp!!!) and a bit of the E65 7 Series in it also.

The interior is a mecca of comfort and convenience...it has pretty much everything anyone seeking quiet comfort could want. In the extended wheelbase models, the right rear seat reclines 45 degrees and has a power legrest and massage feature. The only other car in the world to offer a power legrest for the rear seats is the Maybach 62...and that's well over a quarter million dollars. So if it's quiet comfort you're after, the LS460 cannot be beat in it's price range. Too bad it doesn't offer the inspiring performance of the A8, 7 Series or XJ...or heck, even the S Class. Much like the LS, the S Class is a car designed mainly for the passengers, not the driver...the only difference between those two is that the S is a little bit sportier and more involving than the LS, but not quite to the levels offered by BMW, Audi or Jaguar.

Would I buy an LS460 over the 7 Series, XJ, S Class and A8?

2010 7 Series? No.
2008 7 Series? Yes. I could never "get it up" for the design of the E65 and cold interior, not to mention the iDrive.

2009 XJ? Yes. The new XJ's look smaller and more awkward than the prior XJ's. This is especially evident in the roofline.

2009 S Class? Absolutely not. The S Class is the gold-standard in this field, and I adore the W221.

2009 A8? Absolutely not. The A8 is drop dead gorgeous inside and out, and quite agile I hear...very fun to drive.

Lord Cadillac
12-15-08, 02:25 AM
To me, the Lexus LS460 is the best luxury car you can buy for the money. It's smooth, extremely quiet, fast/powerful, reliable and extremely luxurious. The S550 is a better vehicle in every way, but much more expensive. The Audi A8 and BMW 750 are also very nice - but not nearly as luxurious and comfortable as the Lexus LS...

There is nothing better about the Cadillac DTS other than exterior design.

Aron9000
12-15-08, 02:43 AM
If I'm spending 70k+ on a car, I don't want something that will blend in with the crowd.

For the uber-luxury cars its either an Audi A8 or Benz S500.

For around 70-85k though, I'd buy an AMG Benz that is a year or two old. Nothing like 450+hp in a big car.

Jesda
12-15-08, 03:16 AM
The Cadillac DTS, in the real world, sells for a lot less money too. Its not in the same class as the LS, A8, etc.

c5 rv
12-15-08, 10:14 AM
I like the way the $799 LS460 lease banner ad appears at the top of this thread.

BTW, for many mature drivers, buying a luxury car that blends in is a good thing.