: Cold starts not so good...

mythy
12-13-08, 07:18 PM
well after changing the plugs a month or so ago every thing was great I even cleaned the EGR but now that the weather is in the 20's the car starts horribly! Its nearly stalls and the motor runs very rough till ran for a few miles and there is popinbg sounds from the exhaust

So whats the deal? EGR is fine theres no vacume leaks and the plugs are new :cookoo:

mythy
12-13-08, 08:24 PM
Also I should add that the car shakes violantly :mad2:

Ranger
12-13-08, 08:35 PM
there is popinbg sounds from the exhaust
Sounds like misfire. Did you change the wires? Old wires seem to go bad after handling. My '97 developed a misfire after having the fuel rail recall done. The plug wires had to me removed to get the rail off. After a lot od diagnosing, new A/C Delco wires solved it.

mythy
12-15-08, 07:44 PM
well the thing is its only when its really cold out its 54 today and started fine :nono:

Ranger
12-15-08, 08:05 PM
I still suspect the wires if they are original. See if you can find my post called "Stutter, Engine or Trans" from about 2006.

mythy
12-18-08, 10:10 PM
Check oil is being displayed! My girl just called she says its idleing really rough and says it needs oil :rant2: I just had it changed around 5 - 7 weeks ago and it was filled mid way on the stick cold. There is no leaks I had it checked when I bought the car... The plugs are brown but clean... The previous owner was a older driver but I been getting on it allot so whats the deal?

I'm guessing my idlle and starting might be related to the low oil...

Ranger
12-18-08, 10:21 PM
Low oil level will not affect your idle unless it is very, very low, as in dry.

mythy
12-18-08, 11:16 PM
well what about that one cylnder? When I changed the plugs the one had a large amount of build up on it all white and cake like. Maybe I should check that plug now that theres been a new plug in for a while mabe that cylnder is leaking oil and burning it that might explain a rough idle and a missfire right?

Submariner409
12-19-08, 11:27 AM
One cylinder will not cause a severe shake at idle, and oil builds up thick, black deposits on plug tips, not anything close to hard, white. (Yes, a complete miss in one cylinder will cause a rough idle, but the car should continue to run.)

Curious that the "Check oil level" light is also on.

There's more to this than just a low-speed miss.

Ranger
12-19-08, 10:19 PM
When I changed the plugs the one had a large amount of build up on it all white and cake like.
Coolant?

mythy
12-19-08, 11:19 PM
ok this is the night of hell for me :banghead:

I got a call from my GF she was turned down for a collage so I was going to head down and see her. I get in the cady and start her theres a whine from the left side of the engine. Very high pitched and the right side sounds awful. I remember oil and pulled the stick wiped her and shoved it back in. The oil is barely on the ball end of the stick. I dumped my only spare quart in and it went back up to 50% up the stick (engine was off) I started her and the whine is gone I just hope to god nothing got worn down of damaged from being a quart low I guess its been that way for a while :hide:

Now part 2!

I back the car out of the driveway. I'm on snow and ice I driive 50 ft and stop! I have a FLAT! My front right tire is off the rim... I pull out my jack and the cars too low so I had to use the one from the trunk. I put the donut on and its almost flat as well :bonkers: The rear tire looked low (same side) that one had 14lbs in it!!!!!!

WTF!?!?!?!?!?

In the morning i will pull that one plug and see if it has more build up on it and I will check the coolant again but the car runs fine while driving its just the idle thats horrible and it pops every second very faintly but from the rear of the ar you can hear it

Ranger
12-19-08, 11:33 PM
The engine will not even notice a qt low. The noise was from something else.