: after market stereo

comegetyousome
12-13-08, 08:18 PM
Hi I am new here my car is a 93 Seville STS with gold series BOSE. My first question is recently I have purchased a Kenwood double din navi and know that the BOSE in a problem because of the speaker amps, so I have opted to install new speakers new wire and powered with a 4 channel amp my problem is the front speakers are 5.25. The speakers I like are RE Audio xxx 6.5 components and made in USA+. Is there a way to install a speaker of this size in the existing opening or what modification is required my goal is to maintain a clean stock look. JL audio makes 5.25 in the ZR series good speakers but I would rather stick with the RE. My second question is will the installation of my new head unit interfere with the power antenna because of the Bose issues if so how to fix. And my final question is my sub is a RE audio xxx 12 this is a real mean unit 2,000 watt RMS my amp is a Rockford Fosgate 2000 watt class BD amp I am planning on running a 10 farad capacitor with 1/0 gauge wire and yellow top optima. With an additional amp for the component speakers were talking a lot of amps for a stock alternator. Should I consider stepping up to a 220 amp alternator or will the new battery and capacitor do the job. Thanks

Necrosan
12-13-08, 10:14 PM
I have 2 amps running in my car, a 1400 watt pushing my components and a 1000 watt pushing my subs. I'm not too sure of the gauge on the wiring, but each is a little bit a bit bigger than the size of a pencil thick, and I am using the stock alternator and it sounds good. I'd like to add a capacitor to make it hit a little bit harder, but that's a project for another day. I screwed each amp into the board that covers the back seat electronics and epoxied the back sides of the screws. I got 2 amps mounted on there for now..

Now that that tangent is over, you'll need to do a little wire cutting & splicing with the antenna. As is mine is wired up to turn on with the car (which is fine for me although I wouldn't mind it to only come up when the radio is in use.)

I have run speaker wire in each door (my car is a 94 Eldorado, FWIW) and used a coat hanger to get it through the rubber boot safely. I don't remember the speaker size, but I have a 300 watt door speaker in each door, and Pioneer 5 way 6x9's (the 440 watt ones) in each spot on the rear deck. My stereo guy previously installed these (I have since taken up doing my own system entirely), so I am not sure if modifications are needed to make regular 6x9's fit.

My car looks stock as ever besides the subs in the trunk and the AVIC-D3 in the dash... I also have just a regular car battery. Whatever the best one is NAPA sells.

You can find a guide on the12volt.com for which wire does what in the stock stereo harness. (I used wire taps to tap in as not to cut the original harness)

It's not the hardest stereo setup I've worked with, just the most time consuming. If you've ever done an install before you'll have no problem here. Let us see some pics when you get it all done. Good luck.

soulman07
12-15-08, 11:17 PM
It's recommended if you are going to be using anything over 1,000 watt RMS you upgrade your big 3 to prevent your headlights from dimming and such things like that to at least 0/4 gauge wiring.

As far as the alternator goes I had mine upgraded and rebuilt from the factory 140 in my 4.9 to a H/O 240 Amp alt here just recently because the voltage kept dumping at full tilt with a little over 2,600RMS total and a few kinetik batteries. HC 1800 up front and 2000 in rear.

You should be able to google the big 3 and it'll provide you with all of the necessary information for it.

I have an audio calculator that you can use to determine what's needed based on the total RMS wattage of your system. Provide me with your email, and I'll forward it to you excel spreadsheet form.

wachuku
12-18-08, 03:15 AM
I think you can put something other than 5.25's in the doors if you're willing to work with some MDF wood or equivalent. Remove the plastic speaker housing and affix a wood panel to the holes where the OEM housing screws were.

Cut a whole in the wood panel that matches your speakers.

In my case I was able to get 6.5's, 5.25's and tweets in the doors of my '97 STS with stock door panels. I made an MDF enclosure for the 6.5's in the door but such isn't always necessary; a panel as described above will often do.

Below is a link to a thread with pics:

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=26709

CadillacSTS42005
12-20-08, 11:27 AM
hold up
if you have BOSE you DO NOT have 5.25 speakers you have a 4 inch tri speaker in a enclosure
if you have the DELCO sound system you have a 5.25 speaker with a 1.5 inch square tweeter
figure out which sound system you have 1st before you start throwing money at it
and either way any custom audio shop will be able to make you fit speaker plates that will bolt to your door and fit a larger speaker
and when i say audio shop that does not mean best buy or circuit city...

still_walkin
12-26-08, 06:33 AM
Hi I am new here my car is a 93 Seville STS with gold series BOSE. My first question is recently I have purchased a Kenwood double din navi and know that the BOSE in a problem because of the speaker amps, so I have opted to install new speakers new wire and powered with a 4 channel amp my problem is the front speakers are 5.25. The speakers I like are RE Audio xxx 6.5 components and made in USA+. Is there a way to install a speaker of this size in the existing opening or what modification is required my goal is to maintain a clean stock look. JL audio makes 5.25 in the ZR series good speakers but I would rather stick with the RE. My second question is will the installation of my new head unit interfere with the power antenna because of the Bose issues if so how to fix. And my final question is my sub is a RE audio xxx 12 this is a real mean unit 2,000 watt RMS my amp is a Rockford Fosgate 2000 watt class BD amp I am planning on running a 10 farad capacitor with 1/0 gauge wire and yellow top optima. With an additional amp for the component speakers were talking a lot of amps for a stock alternator. Should I consider stepping up to a 220 amp alternator or will the new battery and capacitor do the job. Thanks

when you want to figure out the watts your devices are using you dont count the speakers/subs. the amps and devices you have that run on power determine waht you total wattage is. if you have the only one amp it srated 2,000 watts ill get a bigger alternator and do the big3 and a bigger battery is a must its no fun when your car doesnt start cause of your stereo, trust me living witness of this . if you have blinking headlights and hard starts get them. and the cap is a waste of your time. also make all your ground and power wires the same size so you system gets equal power