: Type of Gas

MionJaCon
12-13-08, 06:21 PM
Hey guys, I'm getting ready to pick up my V next week and I am very excited. I have been waiting to get this car now for what seems like forever.
I have been reading that the car will take regular unleaded but that Premium is recommended. What does that mean? Does the performance of the car just decrease? What about Plus gas? I have a feeling I will be putting nothing but premium in it but I would like to know why/how it can take either? Does anyone know?

CTSV_510
12-13-08, 07:19 PM
The compression in a supercharged engine makes more potential for detonation, and higher octane gas is used because it is more resistant to detonation. You won't have 556 hp with regular gas because the engine pcm will detect it and change to the low octane tables which will pull timing and give you less power.

readyact
12-13-08, 07:59 PM
Hey guys, I'm getting ready to pick up my V next week and I am very excited. I have been waiting to get this car now for what seems like forever.
I have been reading that the car will take regular unleaded but that Premium is recommended. What does that mean? Does the performance of the car just decrease? What about Plus gas? I have a feeling I will be putting nothing but premium in it but I would like to know why/how it can take either? Does anyone know?

This is directly from the Owner's manual which came with my V2: "If the Vehicle has 6.2L supercharged V8 engine (VIN Code P), use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 91 or higher. For best performance, use premium unleaded gasoline with posted octane rating of 93. In an emergency, you can use regular unleaded gasoline with octane rating of 87 or higher. If 87 octane fuel is used, do not perform any aggressive driving maneuvers such as wide open throttle applications. You might also hear audible spark knock during accelerations. Refill the tank with premium fuel as soon as possible to avoid damaging the engine. If you are using gasoline rated 91 octane or higher and you hear heavy knocking, the engine needs service".

SOURCE 2009 CTS/CTS-V Owner's Manual

CIWS
12-13-08, 11:23 PM
This is directly from the Owner's manual which came with my V2: "If the Vehicle has 6.2L supercharged V8 engine (VIN Code P), use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 91 or higher. For best performance, use premium unleaded gasoline with posted octane rating of 93. In an emergency, you can use regular unleaded gasoline with octane rating of 87 or higher. If 87 octane fuel is used, do not perform any aggressive driving maneuvers such as wide open throttle applications. You might also hear audible spark knock during accelerations. Refill the tank with premium fuel as soon as possible to avoid damaging the engine. If you are using gasoline rated 91 octane or higher and you hear heavy knocking, the engine needs service".

SOURCE 2009 CTS/CTS-V Owner's Manual

Sounds amazingly like the words from the STS-V's manual with the S/C 4.4ltr engine :D

If your vehicle has the 4.4L V8 engine (VIN Code D), use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted
octane rating of 91 or higher. For best performance, use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane
rating of 93. In an emergency, you can use regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 87 or higher.
If 87 octane fuel is used, do not perform any aggressive driving maneuvers such as wide open throttle
applications. You may also hear audible spark knock during acceleration. Refill your tank with premium fuel as
soon as possible to avoid damaging your engine. If you are using gasoline rated at 91 octane or higher and
you hear heavy knocking, your engine needs service.

MionJaCon
12-14-08, 01:29 AM
Awesome, thanks so much for the clarification. Hope they put premium in it when I get to the dealership cause I can't wait to "open her up" once I get behind the Suede Microfiber

urbanski
12-14-08, 07:25 AM
chances are they wont, but you shouldnt be beating on it brand new either.

MionJaCon
12-14-08, 03:39 PM
Why do you say that?

urbanski
12-14-08, 03:57 PM
chances are they put in regular, hard to trust most dealers
and if you follow standard breakin procedure, you shouldnt be beating on it new anyway.

MionJaCon
12-14-08, 04:44 PM
What's the break in method for this particular vehicle?