: New Brakes

cjwolverine
12-13-08, 12:50 PM
Is anyone waiting for the track package brakes? I asked before and didn't get much response.

Does anyone know when they are available and at what cost?

Can anyone spell out the advantages/ disadvantages for both a daily driver and an occassional track day?

Thanks

Chris

CSX
12-13-08, 01:08 PM
My understanding is that the track package is simply an upgraded solid (non-slotted) rotor with better brake pads. The caliper is the same as the standard V brakes, except painted red. Honestly, such a package is wasted on a daily driver...I don't see you noticing a difference in stopping power. The only benefit I can see to daily-driving could be pad life...I'd imagine the slotted rotors are harder on pads, but at the same time, if the track package uses more aggressive pads, they'll probably have a shorter life. The track is definitely where you should hope to see improvements...the track brakes should be much more resistant to fade.

Edit: Looking around, nowhere I've read mentions anything about upgraded pads...just solid-face rotors and red painted calipers.

cjwolverine
12-13-08, 02:24 PM
I've read somewhere the pad life may be improved with the non-slotted, but no one can confirm it, because of the same reason you mentioned, that being the "more aggressive pads"

Has anyone found a price on the package? And is it a package with some other "track accessories" or is it simply the brakes?

edsuski
12-13-08, 02:50 PM
The information I have seen suggests:

Two piece rotor
Non-Slotted (presumably to improve pad life)
Powder coated red calipers

No one has been able to quantify any better stopping performance. Reduced pad wear may be more important for track use than street but hard to understand how it would improve performance. Some have suggested that the two piece rotor will dissipate heat better (?) but I'm not sure how or if it is actually the case.

I think the bottom line is that the calipers are red rather than the standard color.

CSX
12-13-08, 03:49 PM
The information I have seen suggests:

Two piece rotor
Non-Slotted (presumably to improve pad life)
Powder coated red calipers

No one has been able to quantify any better stopping performance. Reduced pad wear may be more important for track use than street but hard to understand how it would improve performance. Some have suggested that the two piece rotor will dissipate heat better (?) but I'm not sure how or if it is actually the case.

I think the bottom line is that the calipers are red rather than the standard color.

I personally think that the "track package" brakes are a little hum-ho...now, if the track package included ZR1-spec 15.5" carbon rotors up front and the 15 inchers in back, then we'd be talking

Dr Chill
12-13-08, 04:30 PM
I personally think that the "track package" brakes are a little hum-ho...now, if the track package included ZR1-spec 15.5" carbon rotors up front and the 15 inchers in back, then we'd be talking

Then the track package would cost 5 grand.

demorgan59
12-13-08, 05:46 PM
I'd pop for that.
Also, I believe that the standard brakes do not have gas grooves as all of the photos of delivered cars shows.

gotapex
12-13-08, 07:03 PM

Wow, that's less than 1/2 of what I would expect. I'd definitely spring for that.