: Questions for cold weather Vs

cjwolverine
12-13-08, 11:46 AM
I'm taking delivery in Michigan in a couple of weeks and wondered what protocol you guys use in the cold. I plan to drive the car daily, but have another beater incase of the realy bad days and the snow days. My questions are:

1) If I have a set of snow tires, (blizzaks or pirellis haven't decided yet) do you guys like to have a whole other set of wheels or just change the tires when the seasons dictate? My dealer says an extra set of wheels is $4800. Wow!

2) If my car ends up in the garage for a few days or weeks at a time, due to weather, how often should I get it out and warm it up? and for how long what speed etc. I know some people just start and idle for a while, but I've heard that is a no no. What do you think?

Thanks everyone. I'm glad I found this place. I've learned a ton so far.

Chris

Florian
12-13-08, 11:49 AM
park your V, use it from March - Dec. Drive your beater for the crappy months when theres salt around so you dont trash your new V.

F

Razorecko
12-13-08, 12:32 PM
^ yep. Get a beater pickup or suv. Even if you have winter tires that wont do much if you hit an ice storm or a patch of black ice.

cjwolverine
12-13-08, 01:06 PM
Yes I have a beater, so the majority of the winter it will be parked. I'll take it out for the special nights out (or take the wife's car if there is bad weather on the night out)..

So my second question- How often should I warm it up? and how? by idling, or should I drive it around the city, a spin on the highway? What's best?
Thanks
chris

Florian
12-13-08, 01:09 PM
Yes I have a beater, so the majority of the winter it will be parked. I'll take it out for the special nights out (or take the wife's car if there is bad weather on the night out)..

So my second question- How often should I warm it up? and how? by idling, or should I drive it around the city, a spin on the highway? What's best?
Thanks
chris

dont EVER warm up your motor if the car is sitting. You need to drive it to get the water out of the system and any suspended water out of your oil. A spin on the highway is your best bet....get it up to operating temps and run it about 5-10 minutes past that point. No problems. Ive had a second car ever since my 1st V in 04...its mandatory. In fact, just keep your V parked until youre ready to take it out full time.

F

TheGeeman
12-13-08, 02:21 PM
I would suggest a Battery Tender -not a charger-modern cars have a constant electrical load. Discharging the battery completly is tough on the battery.

Keep the gas tank full. This helps prevent condensation with the temperture swings.

G.

OldRoadDawg
12-13-08, 02:38 PM
All of the above.

Salt and the other chem. solutions that road crews put down wreak havoc on paint and undercarriage, and the pea gravel they spread messes up the windshield and front fascia.

Repainted my front bumper once. Now it stays in the garage all winter. I hate it, but.....

Short-Throw
12-13-08, 03:17 PM
What do you think?

Thanks everyone. I'm glad I found this place. I've learned a ton so far.

Chris

I've driven my car everyday since taking delivery here in Chicago. This car is a pleasure to be in every minute, even if you're not exploiting the 556 ponies. I've never purchased my cars just to have them sit. Get out there and enjoy it, it wont melt.

I opted for a second set of wheels and tires purely for convenience. If you go this route, make sure you also order 4 TPSMs for the wheels as well. They are very easy to reprogram, under 1 minute.

Mike

Qnsryck
12-13-08, 03:27 PM
I agree with driving it as much as possible. I've had it about 24 hours and went through ice and snow already. It did quite well. I took it easy but never felt any slip or anything to make me too nervous. I have a Wrangler I drive when there is snow on the road. If the roads are dry it'll be the V. It's a car, it's meant to be driven. I obsess about this car and I did with my previous V but if taken care of I don't see why you can't drive it as much as possible.

I don't live in a major metro area so I don't deal with a lot of traffic. Sometimes you have to worry more about the other guy sliding than yourself. It's also another reason why I got the manual.

BTW: the XM weather worked great. When it was snowing I punched up the weather report and sure enough XM said "SNOW". Amazing ;)

GMX322V S/C
12-13-08, 04:26 PM
Although the undercarriage is treated against corrosion, I would think you wouldn't want the salt just lying around caking on to things. What do you guys think of those undercarriage washes some car washes have? Might make sense to do this on occasion as a preventive measure after a bout of salt exposure...

thebigjimsho
12-13-08, 05:58 PM
If you decide to drive it this winter and eventually want another set of wheels, put snows or all-seasons on your current wheels for this winter and wait for the correct wheels to be released in the aftermarket.

The selection will put the V1's to shame. Going back to a 5 lug wheel will give us a myriad of possibilities eventually...and not for $4800...

cjwolverine
12-14-08, 11:40 AM
If you decide to drive it this winter and eventually want another set of wheels, put snows or all-seasons on your current wheels for this winter and wait for the correct wheels to be released in the aftermarket.

The selection will put the V1's to shame. Going back to a 5 lug wheel will give us a myriad of possibilities eventually...and not for $4800...

Yeah the $4800 shocked me. Your suggestion is what I already had in mind. I will call my car a daily driver - weather pending. If it's dry, I'll be driving it, but otherwise I'll check the weather and drive the beater when it's nasty. But when the wife and I hit the town the choices are minivan, old volvo wagon or sparkling new V. I'm pretty sure the choice is clear.

Thanks for all your answers
Chris

Florian
12-14-08, 02:59 PM
Get out there and enjoy it, it wont melt.

it wont melt, but it will rust.

I drove my CTSv for 1 winter here in OH. Ive never driven my STSv in salt...and I can tell you, the difference is phenominal. The underside of the CTSv was rusty and components were generally in a bad state....the STSv is clean as a whistle....

You will hate yourself in a few years if you drive your V in winter.

F

Short-Throw
12-14-08, 04:48 PM
The underside of the CTSv was rusty and components were generally in a bad state....the STSv is clean as a whistle....

I plan on hosing off the underside frequently with the help of a four post lift. Thanks for the heads-up.

Razorecko
12-14-08, 09:34 PM
you could always get rustproof undercoating done but you only want to do that when the car has never seen rain or snow already. Otherwise if it has and you have it undercoated than you'll seal the snow/salt to the body that wasnt' washed off and it will slowly rust away and you'll never even see it.

dvandentop
12-14-08, 10:09 PM
this isnt some exotic car we are talking about the V2's are awesome but snow and salt on the roads wouldnt keep me from driving them if i had snow tires

chris1268
12-15-08, 10:53 AM
I picked my V2 up on Friday and have been driving it through weather here in Chicago every day since. Bad Ice this morning so I had to leave it in the garage this morning. The car has been fine to drive in bad weather, but I am doing the winter beater for multiple reasons. The salt is a factor, but the main reason is I don't trust the other people on the road not to make minced meat of the car I waited a year for.