: Shutdown at GM Grand River plant

Dick's06Vee
12-12-08, 07:08 PM
I just heard on the local news that the Lansing GM Grand River plant (birthplace of our V's) will be on extended shutdown. The plant will be closed the entire month of January and the first week in February. Production will resume on 2/9 and only one shift when it does re-open. Extended assembly plant shutdowns were also announced today by GM at many of their plants during the month of January.

Dick

Jeepoo
12-12-08, 07:12 PM
I just heard my order went to 3400 (order broadcast) with the next code being produced. I am hoping it will be built week of the 15th. and out the door before the plant closure.

urbanski
12-12-08, 07:15 PM
eek.

Art138
12-12-08, 07:33 PM
Here is more specific info on their Plant Closings.....http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/081212/gm_cuts.html

CIWS
12-13-08, 09:58 AM
Sounds like they're trying to do what they need to survive. Car sales have been dropping for months, 20, 30, 40 % levels which means they're staying in the dealerships and stacking up in storage waiting to be shipped. Production has to be cut.

However it's not just GM, the west coast storage lots for Mercedes and Toyota are also packed with cars waiting to go to dealerships who don't need them.

Flyboy
12-13-08, 11:09 AM
I thought the V's were built in Lansing? Am I mistaken?

gothicaleigh
12-13-08, 11:33 AM
I thought the V's were built in Lansing? Am I mistaken?

Grand River runs through Lansing. The plant's name is actually Lansing Grand River Assembly.

Florian
12-13-08, 12:47 PM
Here is more specific info on their Plant Closings.....http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/081212/gm_cuts.html

that was just a rehash....nothing specific at all. :thepan:

F

Krug Ford
12-13-08, 02:29 PM
It is going to make the V's out there now even harder to deal. I had a dealer call me today and want to buy all of mine at sticker only to sell them for more.

I said no way..

GM-4-LIFE
12-13-08, 04:48 PM
It is going to make the V's out there now even harder to deal. I had a dealer call me today and want to buy all of mine at sticker only to sell them for more.

I said no way..

Scott,

Good for you! Why help a dealer try to rape the public, especially in this economy and the way GM is struggling?? GM dealers out there that mark up cars should be ashamed of themselves!

SG

thebigjimsho
12-13-08, 06:21 PM
It's great Superior is keeping their Vs to sell. And the fact they're giving everyone Supplier Pricing as well is great to hear!

Flyboy
12-13-08, 07:52 PM
It's great Superior is keeping their Vs to sell. And the fact they're giving everyone Supplier Pricing as well is great to hear!

Amen to that.....They sound like a "class act" to me.

thebigjimsho
12-13-08, 08:17 PM
Amen to that.....They sound like a "class act" to me.I have to dry my pants just thinking about it...

CIWS
12-14-08, 11:13 AM
Honda cutting more N.A. production.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/12/12/news/companies/honda_production.ap/index.htm?postversion=2008121211

Jpjr
12-14-08, 03:48 PM
I hope the plant reopens if it shuts down. The CTS-V is exactly the type of sacrificial lamb that Congress expects to go away. Forget about the niche or the performance, its a sedan with a truck displacement motor with super low gas mileage on paper in Washington.

gothicaleigh
12-14-08, 07:30 PM
Honda cutting more N.A. production.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/12/12/news/companies/honda_production.ap/index.htm?postversion=2008121211

You should know better. We're only supposed to report on bad news from domestic companies. :p

JEM
12-15-08, 02:44 AM
Does anyone else find it odd that while GM builds the Acadia, Enclave, and whatever the Saturn variety thereof is in one plant, they're building the Chevy Traverse in Tennessee. Did they really think they needed that much capacity? To make matters worse, the Traverse interior looks and feels like Bad Old GM, Saturn Ion grade, which is disappointing after the Malibu and the Acadia et al.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
12-15-08, 02:59 AM
Looks like those of you who already took delivery might have some pretty rare cars...

CIWS
12-15-08, 08:59 AM
Yeah and if GM doesn't pull through they'll have some really rare cars. Ones that they will have hell getting parts for.

You should know better. We're only supposed to report on bad news from domestic companies.

:dammit: I forgot.