: Escalade Perfromance Chips - Do they actually work

jasbrit
12-12-08, 04:13 PM
Hi -

About a month ago I bought my first Cadillac (and love it, by the way). I have a 2006 Escalade, White Diamond with 31,000 miles.
Yesterday, a friend of mine told me that I should consider fitting the Escalade with some kind of "performance chip". He said it will do a variety of good things for the vehicle, most importantly improve fuel efficiency (he thought by around 3 miles per gallon) while increasing hp and torque at the same time.
He said these chips cost in the region of $60-$80... all this seemed way too good to be true.

Does anybody have any information about these chips? Would one of these chips void the manufacturers warranty? I'm always skeptical about this kind of stuff and (like I said) what he was telling me seemed too good to be true.

To be honest, the Escalade is simply a personal vehicle - I don't tow anything with it... so it doesn't need any additional hp or torque for my driving, and I'm not bothered about the fuel efficiency since I choose to drive an SUV for comfort, storage capacity, and safety reasons- but if it's that easy to improve the vehicle for $80... it's certainly an interesting concept to consider.

Any info would be very helpful.

Thanks

-Jeff

shore
12-12-08, 05:06 PM
he is probably talking about the IAT trick thingys...bogus in reality.
It is "supposed" to trick the computer into thinking the outside air temp is colder than it is.Therefore richening the mixture.

CtsVrod
12-12-08, 05:35 PM
If you want something to improve performace, etc. I would go with a Programmer like Hypertech, Diablo, Edge, Etc.

Here's a Link to the Hypertech one for the Escalades - http://www.hypertech.com/Products/Power%20Programmer%20III

Have not had any experience with them, but I would assume that is what your looking for - A "chip" would have to be installed (soldered) like a piggy back on your ECU - I would not recommend that route. The Programmers are Plug and Play. Just push a button and your back to Stock.

If anyone has any experience with a Certain Programmer, I too would be interested in your findings/Results.

jasbrit
12-12-08, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Apparently, the type of product he is talking about is the SLR product that is advertized on this website.

He did also say that the Hypertech programmers are pretty useful and easy to use.

I'll try to get more details from him this weekend.

If I find out any useful info - I'll pass it along.

Thanks again!

ylwjacket
12-13-08, 12:38 AM
I bought tuning software (efi live), had a tune done by a third party, then loaded it to the Escalade. It certainly helped the performance. Held power bands a little longer, changed shift points, fuel mix ratios, etc.

At the time, I was using it for 3 different cars, so it was the price, and it was easy to do. The guy who did used to be on the CTS-V board, but I don't think he is around anymore. But, you can search on that software, and I'm sure find someone that does it.

xliemx
12-18-08, 10:45 PM
i have a superchips programmer for my 03 ESV. here is what you get, great performance with the 91 Octane setting, but if your gas is crappy it will set off the check engine light for knock sensor, too lean a mixture or possibly too rich. how do i know?? it did it to mine. only solution for that setting, 100 octane racing fuel. The 87 octane rating showed a little performance gain, quciker shifting and higher shift points if you desire. you can also custom adjust the shift points, tire size etc. also has towing setting, never used. They work great by themselves. i also have made performance mods, headers, better exhaust, air intake, wires, showed great improvement. it is up to you, but this will cost around $379 new, or I can sell you my used one for $275.

luxurylife33
12-19-08, 09:48 PM
Chips are almost never a good idea. The factory set all the parameters that your car should be running at. Unless you are smarter than the engineers who designed the motor and ecu, i highly recommend that you leave it alone. Most chips just richen your air/fuel mixture and ruin your valves and intake guides...

kyle f
03-22-10, 02:54 PM
Chips are almost never a good idea. The factory set all the parameters that your car should be running at. Unless you are smarter than the engineers who designed the motor and ecu, i highly recommend that you leave it alone. Most chips just richen your air/fuel mixture and ruin your valves and intake guides...

As an automotive engineer, I can tell you this. Its not about who is smarter. We have to design and make all systems with a series of trade offs and regulations.

Its true that they are the best settigns for emisions, drive by noise, economy, longevity, comfort, and a host of other issues all rolled into one. Say you no longer care about diveby noise, with a good exhaust, intake, and headers, you can tweek the settings to run much better and make a lot more power with improved fuel economy. Your tradeoff, noise. THe exhaust will now be loud and you will have a nice sucking sound from your intake under the hood.

ESKY02
03-22-10, 09:28 PM
Well i have said this before but Nelsonperformance.com is what i always run. since 2001. I have never had an issue. I have had Hypertech, diablo etc. I simply call him, tell him what i want and he programs an ecm and sends it to me. 6 mins later after i switch it out with the stock one, my truck is nuts. I cant stress this enough for people to do it. If you dont want to spend the money, I have also used wait4meperformance.com. If anyone has questions or needs help ordering feel free to ask me.
You will not be disappointed with his product.

beav626
03-22-10, 10:52 PM
Has anyione seen a MPG increase with a tune or programmer? Im happy with my power out of my EXT but would lie mroe MPG's

nathanjax
03-22-10, 10:59 PM
Has anyione seen a MPG increase with a tune or programmer? Im happy with my power out of my EXT but would lie mroe MPG's

I have a black bear tune (blackbearperformance.com) and if I'm driving normal, i get about 2mpg better than before the tune. Even with a HEAVY foot, my mpg is the same as before the tune, so it's a win win...

beav626
03-22-10, 11:04 PM
did you mail the ECM or did you do it in person?

nathanjax
03-23-10, 03:22 PM
Actually did mine in person, a live tune through his EFILive software (which is best), but he does mail order tunes as well. So if I ever need to change anything, it's free... He will just send me a ECM and I'll send my old one back...