: The agony( For the Porsche that is )

baf_ctsv
06-25-04, 08:30 AM
So, there I was following this Porsche(996) when all of the sudden moves from the left to the right lane and slows down to my speed. We were doing 50 mph so I figured there was a cop or something ahead. Nope, he wanted to race. He drops down a couple of gears, as do I , and we are off. Dead even all the way to triple digits( power shifting of course ). Then we hit some traffic. He then passed someone by using the shoulder ( I think the 4 door keeping up, got to him) so I slowed it down , a little too crazy for me.
It looks like "400 HP of American Muscle" ain't bad at all. So now I am thinking where is that Nitrous Button when I need it!
Now if there was a wheel hop fix......

gothicaleigh
06-25-04, 11:53 AM
Yeah, taking the shoulder is definately an act of desperation.

Some people just can't handle an ego bruising. I bet you kept him up all night thinking about that! lol :D

Cal
06-25-04, 01:18 PM
I hate to be the wet blanket, but taking the shoulder is a sign of someone who wants to win at all costs. As long as he did not cut you off directly it's still within the balls-to-the-wall racing etiquette.

I'd do it if the race was close and the other guy was ready to go the distance.

Anything for the win!

lasstss
06-25-04, 01:46 PM
"till death do us part" !

Naaa, I dont think so...

baf_ctsv
06-25-04, 01:58 PM
I hate to be the wet blanket, but taking the shoulder is a sign of someone who wants to win at all costs. As long as he did not cut you off directly it's still within the balls-to-the-wall racing etiquette.

I'd do it if the race was close and the other guy was ready to go the distance.

Anything for the win!

I will use HP vs endagering others to win. I had never seen someone pass at 80 mph on the shoulder. Kinda stupid in a little Porsche, High Boron steel and all. Needless to say it was nice to at least match his acceleration. I failed to mention that I had a 1999 Carrera, it was no faster that the V in my opinion.

gothicaleigh
06-25-04, 04:04 PM
If someone were to pass me on the shoulder for no other reason than to get away from someone else, they had better hope they can outrun me... :mad:

I'm sorry, but that is not how you race someone, and it is extremely disrespectful to whomever you do it to. Stunts like that cause accidents and damage to non-participant's vehicles...

It's a form of the ricer fly-by in my opinion. Too afraid to match yourself and your car against your opponent, you try to run and hide...

Cal
06-25-04, 05:14 PM
It's a racing technique when you are both going to win. It is dangerous, don't get me wrong, it's just something you utilize when you are up against someone who will do anything (within limits, like I said you don't cut each other off or run people off the road, etc) in a long dense-traffic race.

It's definitely not for the weak of heart. I've never had to use it myself but I have been up against people who have.

It shouldn't be used to escape someone, that sounds more like a DUI chase on Channell 11 than a race

b4z
06-25-04, 05:14 PM
I have passed on the shoulder before, but it was not street racing.
I was coming back from vacation in NC and was in SC on I-26 heading to
Charleston.
Had the speedo set at 75 mph in the IROC in fairly heavy traffic.
Came upon a large cluster of traffic that was moving at 68 mph.
Nobody was passing.
I started to pick off a car or two at a time by passing on the right.
Then I would slot back into the left lane. I picked off about 15 cars in the left and 15 on the right.

Finally came up to 2 blue minivans with Kentucky plates in the left lane.
Loaded with 2 families I assumed were vacationing together.
And NOBODY was in front of them for over a mile. Wide open.
I made my presence known first by driving to the left, then by flashing my lights.
They would not pull into the right lane for anybody or anything.
Even though the right lane was clear at that time.
As I looked into my reaview mirror I noticed the cars that I had passed inching up in the right lane.
I also noticed that the kid in the back had a walkie talkie and that they had slowed down to 55 mph in a 65.
As I pulled to the left I noticed the minivan ahead of them had slowed down also closing the gap. Plus the kid in the backseat was flipping me off!!!

I made an instant decision to cross the right lane and dive for the right shoulder, dropped it into third and floored it. After passing a car in the right lane I looked over and noticed that the lead minivan had floored it and was trying to pace me, and the passenger was flipping me off too!!!

I accelerated up to 90, built a cushion then settled back to 75.
I was livid.

I guess that this family decided that nobody in sight of them was going to drive more than 68 mph and that they owned that particular stretch of road.
They had decided that the was the speed for the day.

It blows my mind that there were actually 2 families out there that would do something like this.
If I had to do it over again, I would.

urbanski
06-25-04, 06:17 PM
i've read posts in other car forums from that family...or rather, folks who take joy and pride in driving that way....
they are folks who try to induce road rage in others by deliberately driving like retards.....

Cal
06-25-04, 08:55 PM
Yeah there is no excuse for that. Only time I drive aggressive is when someone is being a dink (unprovoked) or when I am trying to win.

MotorMouth
06-25-04, 11:05 PM
ANYONE who takes the shoulder like that at speed for any reason other than an emergency move to avoid a collision is a complete and utter retard!

And people bragging about doing this on public roads like they are some kind of professional race driver simply screams absolute stupidity!

Go ahead......try and defend your ignorance. This should be good!

Trilio
06-26-04, 10:45 AM
Pass on the shoulder? Wow - maybe when I was a teenager and never thought about my mortality or any one else's safety. In the picture shows the driving is finely planed and executed by professional drivers that spend most of their time at high speeds, still there are wrecks and injuries. Thank God I have gotten old enough to get my thrills on a track where I will only harm myself or possibly someone else who is trained and has taken the precautions and responsibility on himself. I too hate the ignorant drivers of the world but that is poor excuse to become one. PLEASE get away from these a..holes at all costs even if it means falling back or just getting off the road for a break. Remember, one of our innocent children may be out there, maybe one of them is even the a..hole causing the holdup - exercise good safe judgement, be the bigger man and we can all live to get out on a track and really see what kind of drivers we are.

CVP33
06-27-04, 02:28 PM
I would've done the same as b4z. I would try to pass on the left, maintaining a safe distance. If after several miles the rolling road block did not move to the right I would then flash to pass. If this did not work I would then use the shoulder, emergency lane or section of on ramp if available. I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying it's what I'd do.

T_Dogg8
06-29-04, 09:22 AM
I have passed on the shoulder before, but it was not street racing.
I was coming back from vacation in NC and was in SC on I-26 heading to
Charleston.
Had the speedo set at 75 mph in the IROC in fairly heavy traffic.
Came upon a large cluster of traffic that was moving at 68 mph.
Nobody was passing.
I started to pick off a car or two at a time by passing on the right.
Then I would slot back into the left lane. I picked off about 15 cars in the left and 15 on the right.

Finally came up to 2 blue minivans with Kentucky plates in the left lane.
Loaded with 2 families I assumed were vacationing together.
And NOBODY was in front of them for over a mile. Wide open.
I made my presence known first by driving to the left, then by flashing my lights.
They would not pull into the right lane for anybody or anything.
Even though the right lane was clear at that time.
As I looked into my reaview mirror I noticed the cars that I had passed inching up in the right lane.
I also noticed that the kid in the back had a walkie talkie and that they had slowed down to 55 mph in a 65.
As I pulled to the left I noticed the minivan ahead of them had slowed down also closing the gap. Plus the kid in the backseat was flipping me off!!!

I made an instant decision to cross the right lane and dive for the right shoulder, dropped it into third and floored it. After passing a car in the right lane I looked over and noticed that the lead minivan had floored it and was trying to pace me, and the passenger was flipping me off too!!!

I accelerated up to 90, built a cushion then settled back to 75.
I was livid.

I guess that this family decided that nobody in sight of them was going to drive more than 68 mph and that they owned that particular stretch of road.
They had decided that the was the speed for the day.

It blows my mind that there were actually 2 families out there that would do something like this.
If I had to do it over again, I would.
how are you any better than them?? if the right lane was clear, why didn't you pass them?? if the right lane wasn't clear, that means they were passing people. and in my opinion, if someone is passing someone, even if it is slower than i want to go, it's an acceptable speed. flashing your lights at someone is really immature. you flash your lights at me and i'm finding a tractor-trailer to drive beside for a little while. i would have flicked you off too, since i'm sure you weren't just sitting back driving at a safe distance behind them flashing your lights. i'd guess you were pretty close to their rear bumper. it sounds to me like you instigated the whole thing. how would you feel if you were traveling with your entire family and some guy was riding your tail and flashing his lights because he was too impatient to wait for traffic to clear out.

i think you need to step back and think how you doing that could affect other people. if you would have hit a piece of debris on the shoulder and blown a tire, you could have taken out your car, whatever car was in the right lane, and the two vans full of people. i don't know how old you are, but i'm 24 and i'm mature enough to know getting home 5 minutes later is better than not getting home at all.

JBsZ06
06-29-04, 09:56 AM
Never drive on the shoulder except if the car is disabled.

DgtalPimp
06-29-04, 10:26 AM
Lets add one to the list of warnings. (http://members.tripod.com/jawnspages/humor/gene_pool.htm)

On CTSV:
Passing on shoulder can lead to death.
(The gene pool does need cleaning once in a while)

Dgtal (dgtalpimp@pimpdaddy.com)

b4z
06-29-04, 10:33 AM
T Dogg8,

Never said I was any better than them.
I guess the fact that I and all the other cars had been behind them for
20 minutes(not an exaggeration).
The cars in front of me may have been behind them for more than 20 minutes.
That they never once pulled into the right lane after passing other cars.
They didn't pass very many because they were only going 3mph over.
After I got behind they were driving 10 mph under the limit in the left
lane.
And, that after I passed them they never got into the right lane.
I know, I watched my rearview, and no other cars got past them either.
What I did may have not been the most prudent thing to do,
but I can't ever be accused of being a passive aggressive.

T_Dogg8
06-29-04, 12:37 PM
i just don't get why you didn't pass them on the right. if there were was traffic on the right, then that means the flow of traffic just wasn't going very fast that day. from what you said, they didn't slow down until you started flashing your lights and moving around behind them. so if they would have kept going 3 mph over the speed limit, for you to make any noticable time in the next 60 miles (about one hour of driving), you'd have to be really flying. if you were driving 10 mph over the speed limit, after an hour you'd be about 7 min ahead of them. just doesn't seem worth endangering you and a lot other people on a busy road. i've had too many close calls with stupid things i've done and i've known too many people killed by idiots who are in too much of a hurry.