: New for 2009...Onstar cuts your HP

V-Love
12-11-08, 10:58 AM
Just saw it on the news. Onstar can now cut your horsepower and limit the car to 5mph.
Its probably on the new V.

I know there are some out there that hate this sort of thing. I am one of them. Disconnect your Onstar if you don't lock your keys in your car and can handle your own situations.

Technology.....a true double edged sword.

Cadillac Tony
12-11-08, 11:17 AM
It's called "stolen vehicle slowdown", and can only be initiated by the Police. As long as you don't get in a high speed chase with the Cops, you'll be fine.

CIWS
12-11-08, 11:21 AM
Yeah the new Generation IV Onstar unts in some 2009s (think it's gen IV)

urbanski
12-11-08, 11:21 AM
unplug on*
:tinfoilhat:

CIWS
12-11-08, 11:34 AM
Don't know if they actually did it, but there was talk about making it so the car would not function without a functional Onstar module (functional, not active subscription). That way a potential bad guy couldn't disable the module to prevent tracking or other interference in their crime.

ExtraV
12-11-08, 11:48 AM
Don't be paranoid. Its just for stolen vehicles.

Luna.
12-11-08, 01:00 PM
It's called "stolen vehicle slowdown", and can only be initiated by the Police. As long as you don't get in a high speed chase with the Cops, you'll be fine.

Funny, I just saw some idiot running from the cops in what appeared to be a new Hummer H2. I was at a gas station and the guy drove RIGHT PAST me, I mean, 4 steps and I would have been in the street, touching his car...

I was jesting with another onlooker that it never ceases to amaze me that some of these guys run from the cops with cars that just aren't that fast. :hmm:

It would make me smile to see someone in, say, a Corvette, or another high-performance vehicle, running, for it would just be entertaining---yeah, I want to see the coppers keep up in their cars with some dork putting 500 rwhp to the tires or something... :cool2:

"You'd think they would be in a car like mine," I said, pointing to my V. After we discussed that my car had a supercharger, the conversation changed to the '09 V.

It now appears that such idiot couldn't run in an '09 V!!!! :shhh::histeric:

CIWS
12-11-08, 01:04 PM
It would make me smile to see someone in, say, a Corvette, or another high-performance vehicle, running, for it would just be entertaining---yeah, I want to see the coppers keep up in their cars with some dorks putting 500 rwhp to the tires or something... :cool2:

Here last year a guy in a stolen red corvette was chased and evaded the Police twice in one night.

http://www.officer.com/web/online/Top-News-Stories/Teen-Car-Thief-Evades-Texas-Police-/1$37926

readyact
12-11-08, 03:32 PM

Dang now I will have to find something else to do on Saturday nights with my V2. Thanks for the info I will plan accordingly…LOL.

V-Love
12-12-08, 07:31 AM

I can't plan for everything that might happen in my life. My dad had to run cops on his way to the hospital with my grandma and she lived another 5 years directly because of it. I wouldn't be here if he didn't do the same for me many years ago. I would have bled to death.
I just really can't stand this. Every year its something new. First, the black box. Now this? I hear the car cam is next. It will focus on your eyeballs just in case you get sleepy and can't figure it out for yourselves.
The cops had some electronic gadget in the works years ago that would shut down your car in a chase. Use that.
I hope they don't have an anti disable onstar unit like CIWS is talking about. Tony, do you know? That would stop me from getting a V2.

gm85
12-12-08, 06:27 PM
I can't plan for everything that might happen in my life. My dad had to run cops on his way to the hospital with my grandma and she lived another 5 years directly because of it. I wouldn't be here if he didn't do the same for me many years ago. I would have bled to death.
I just really can't stand this. Every year its something new. First, the black box. Now this? I hear the car cam is next. It will focus on your eyeballs just in case you get sleepy and can't figure it out for yourselves.
The cops had some electronic gadget in the works years ago that would shut down your car in a chase. Use that.
I hope they don't have an anti disable onstar unit like CIWS is talking about. Tony, do you know? That would stop me from getting a V2.Ontop of it being initiated from the police, it won't be initiated unless the owner files stolen vehicle report. So if you're rushing to the hospital, the police can't do anything about it.
Also, onstar allows you to opt-out from the service and it seems like when it is deactivated, it has to be taken to a GM Dealer be RE-Activated

Personally, I have no problems with this.

03Z06Vette
12-14-08, 10:35 AM
I just looked this up. Not available on the CTS or Corvette. (Just traded my 2006 Z06 in on a new 2009 Z06 :D )