: Water crossover parts to replace?

everythingoutdoors
12-11-08, 12:19 AM
I am getting ready to replace the crossover gaskets on my '97 DeVille. I diagnosted the problem, but had the dealership confirm my diagnosis just to make sure.

I have seen several posts on this and am comfortable I know the procedure to get it done. What I was wondering about was, other than the gaskets, water pump, and water pump seals; is there anything else I should change / replace while I have it apart?

I am doing the water pump as there is a small leak coming from the front (toward the block) of it. I have changed it twice over the last couple years and wonder if something is warped or if I should just use a very thin coat of black RTV to seal it this time? I replaced the seals both times, and am confident that I did not pinch them during installation. Car has 152,000 on it by the way. Thanks.

97EldoCoupe
12-11-08, 09:11 AM
I always use a thin bead of RTV around the water pump O-Ring- this helps keep the o-ring in place. It's easy for that o-ring to slip out of position. Then, on the water pump where the o-ring meets it, put a bit of RTV around that edge. I very much doubt that it would be warped but check the housing/crossover for hairline cracks. Not common, but it's worth looking at. Also, the coolant temp sensor on the rear cylinder head- check for a white residue around that temp sensor. This would indicate a very small leak coming from the threads. If I notice this, I remove the temp sensor, clean the threads, wrap it with a couple rounds of plumbers teflon tape, and re-install. Takes a 3/4 deep socket, be careful not to damage the plastic connector. 152,000 is nothing for a N*. If all goes well you'll double that mileage.

jeffrsmith
12-11-08, 06:16 PM
I like to use Hylomar HPF, it is a blue non-hardening compound that is great for sealing. I put a very small bead around the o-ring on the pump and around the edge of the cover. Have had no leaks at all. I have used this stuff on many applications and have always been happy with it. Because it is not hardening it is real easy to clean up, even next year when you take it apart for whatever.

Art Trev
12-08-11, 02:12 PM
excuse me sir....but where did you find the gaskets for this crossover.....my eldorado 97 uses this part number 12553133 ....do you have pictures of this crossover log.......mine is starting to leak at the bottom area close to switch area.....also,i recently replaced the water pump.....do you have to remove the pump to replace the gaskets on the crossover log....

89falcon
12-08-11, 04:25 PM
excuse me sir....but where did you find the gaskets for this crossover.....my eldorado 97 uses this part number 12553133 ....do you have pictures of this crossover log.......mine is starting to leak at the bottom area close to switch area.....also,i recently replaced the water pump.....do you have to remove the pump to replace the gaskets on the crossover log....

Art, believe it or not....fairly common gaskets...available at Autozone

Ranger
12-08-11, 04:32 PM
I believe you can leave the WP installed in the crossover. Just remove the drive belt.

Mark D
12-08-11, 09:55 PM
Just a hint in case anyone cares, I was replacing rotted crossover gaskets on a Northstar once and found some fairly heavy corosion on the surfaces of the block ports, and on the mating surfaces of the crossover. I cleaned it up well, but it was deeply pitted. I use the Permetex "Right Stuff" on each pitted surface, then installed the new factory gaskets and it worked very well.

Of course, the reason for replacement was because they were leaking pretty badly, and the gaskets were just rotten. My "fix" seemed to do the job. I haven't seen it lately, but four years later it was still dry.
Mark D.