: Air aid intake or..?

sam hamm
12-10-08, 08:50 PM
so im hoping to pick up a intake and exhaust next week. im thinking about going with air-aid intake. anybody have experience?

also what intakes do you guys have on your trucks and what do are the pros and cons? i know they are all pretty much the same but...

Lu Scola
12-10-08, 11:42 PM
I really like the DUB AIR...Its a great intake with NO DRONING! Well worth the $$$

SUX2BU
12-13-08, 02:32 AM
Mine was $80 shipped.

Lu Scola
12-13-08, 05:51 AM
80 shipped? Did u get a ebay intake? I seen intakes on ebay for around 80 bucks but they were not that good. They may be ok in the beginning but after having it for awhile you will realize you got what you paid for. What was the brand name of the one you got?

I paid $375 shipped for the DUB AIR Cold Air Intake. Not only does it work well, it looks great too. It has chrome pipes that will not rust. The box enclosure is mirrored on both sides. The clamps they send you are expensive parts, not dollar junk you find at your local autoparts store. The pieces that are used to tighten the rings are the same ones used in professional auto racing like Nascar. I think it performs better than K&N, and Volant. I have a video of mine in action in one of my other posts. Overall its your truck, so if you are on a budget then find one that is in your price range, but if money is not an issue than google the DUB intake. There is alot of info on it around the internet. Check it out and read all the info, and specs. Its definitly worth looking into.

sam hamm
12-13-08, 01:17 PM
i just think the dub may be a little flashy for my taste and ive never read anything bad about an airaid intake. i may go with it or the volant but i dont know. im going to check into the dub.

ESCALADOR
12-13-08, 07:42 PM
I put the K&N 57-3050 57 Series FIPK > Performance Intake Kit on my lade and love it! Just fyi, I installed the CAI and Corsa Exhaust and my MPG have gone down, I love the sound too much to keep my foot off the pedal! :eek::thumbsup:

Spittin Game
12-13-08, 08:12 PM
Honestly all CAI's are the same. Doesnt matter if you get the DUB air, K&N or an Ebay one, they are for the most part the same. Now if you want more flash and do car shows and have your hood up a lot, then no they arent all the same. But as far as performance, your lucky to get 2-3 hp realistically. Those numbers that the companies post up from like 15-50 hp is 100% complete BS. You wont gain much hp using a CAI, but the sound alone is worth it.

SUX2BU
12-15-08, 10:33 PM
Honestly all CAI's are the same. Doesnt matter if you get the DUB air, K&N or an Ebay one, they are for the most part the same. Now if you want more flash and do car shows and have your hood up a lot, then no they arent all the same. But as far as performance, your lucky to get 2-3 hp realistically. Those numbers that the companies post up from like 15-50 hp is 100% complete BS. You wont gain much hp using a CAI, but the sound alone is worth it.

Werd.
I've been modding these LSX motors for about 10 years now so i know what works and how much it really gives you. Had a 98 SS running high 10's in the 1/4 with just bolt ons. Stock heads, stock cam, stock shortblock.
I don't need a mirrored air box for $300. This cheapy intake gets the job done for hundreds less.

SUX2BU
12-15-08, 10:40 PM
80 shipped? Did u get a ebay intake? I seen intakes on ebay for around 80 bucks but they were not that good. They may be ok in the beginning but after having it for awhile you will realize you got what you paid for. What was the brand name of the one you got?

I paid $375 shipped for the DUB AIR Cold Air Intake. Not only does it work well, it looks great too. It has chrome pipes that will not rust. The box enclosure is mirrored on both sides. The clamps they send you are expensive parts, not dollar junk you find at your local autoparts store. The pieces that are used to tighten the rings are the same ones used in professional auto racing like Nascar. I think it performs better than K&N, and Volant. I have a video of mine in action in one of my other posts. Overall its your truck, so if you are on a budget then find one that is in your price range, but if money is not an issue than google the DUB intake. There is alot of info on it around the internet. Check it out and read all the info, and specs. Its definitly worth looking into.

FYI the Dub intake is a polished stainless steel tube, not chrome. My cheapy Ebay intake has no name brand and is an aluminum tube. Neither stainless (well good quality stainless, cause i've seen cheap stainless rust) or aluminum will rust.
Honestly any metal intake isn't as good as an identically designed plastic intake tube. all metal absorbs heat and therefore transfers it to the air entering your motor. What does this mean? not as much HP as it could make if it was plastic. But lucky for me aluminum disapates heat faster than stainless so my tube will cool off faster than a stainless one.

Lu Scola
12-16-08, 01:53 AM
I thought the same thing about the heat issue after I first installed it. We checked her out numerous times after running her hard for awhile but the tube never really heated up.

The reason I asked about the brand of intake you got of ebay is that I get alot of customers (mainly older folks) who come in our shop wanting to get intakes but they dont want to pay the 200+ dollars plus labor for one. So I wanted to see if I could find out what brand you had so I could call the manufacturer and get a bunch of them at wholesale cost. If I could have gotten them in bulk for like $50-$60 bucks then I could sell and install them for customers on a budget for $100-$120 out the door.

Overall Im happy with the DUB intake. It doesnt have a loud drone like others do, it looks really nice, and I can do my hair in the mirrored box...LOL J/K!

Here is some info about the DUB AIR Intake for the Cadillac Escalade
This is the best intake system you can buy for your 2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade. It offers more performance and is longer lasting then any other system on the market. Other companies make their systems primarily from plastic, rubber and other less expensive materiel. The Dub Air system we offer is made from polished stainless steel and uses the best filter design, red silicone coupler(s) and race car T-Bolt clamps. Use plastic is minimal.

Let's discuss a few of its features.

1. The basic design is excellent. The system draws dense cold air from outside the engine bay from an engineered high pressure area. This delivers a high volume of air to the filter. This area is sealed off from the high heat of the engine bay for even more power.

2. The filter itself is the best on the market. It's cotton gauze is medical grade unlike the cheaper gauze the other guys use. This provides a more consistent weave resulting in better filtration and more air flow. The filter design incorporates a velocity stack base and a diverter top. There is NO plastic or rubber in the filter. The base, top, and wire mesh are all stainless steel. This filter design out flowed all the competition at S.E.M.A. right in front of reps from other companies.

3. The main intake pipe is stainless steel. It will not rust, corrode, crack or fail. This pipe, like the rest of this system is made for the harshest use possible, just like the Cadillac Escalade itself. The bends are constant radius so air will flow fast and smoothly from the filter to the engine.

4. All couplers are made from nylon reinforced silicone. This stuff won't crack, deform or fail like the rubber couplers the other guys use.

5. The whole thing is held together by T-Bolt clamps. These clamps are about 8 times more expensive then conventional clamps. However, they won't cause long term damage to the couplers and they will never loosen up no matter how hard you drive your Cadillac Escalade. These are not "race car style" clamps, they are race car clamps!

6. This product offers a limited lifetime warranty, although you will never need it.

Compare these features to other systems out there. Are they made from Stainless Steel? Do they use rubber and plastic? Do they have T-bolt or the far less expensive screw type clamps? Are their connectors silicone or rubber?

If you want an intake system that's truly a match for your Cadillac Escalade in terms of durability and performance this is the one for you. There are other less expensive systems out there but none come close to this one in terms of performance, durability and appearance. It's truly worthy of a Cadillac Escalade. Most other systems are worthy of a Cavilier but adapted to fit a Cadillac Escalade.

Important features are:

Increase horesepower and torque

Show quality finish

Aggresive sound

Improved throttle response (critical in the stop light grand prix!)

Increased air transition into the intake tube

C.A.R.B. certification in progress

Funnel Ram IV air filter is washable and reusable

Here is some info about the K & N Intake for the Cadillac Escalade
2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade
Biodegradable Cleaning Product
Adds Up To 15 Extra Horsepower
Made From Cotton/Screen Wires
Additional Filtering Barrier
Reusable/Washable
Double Air Flow
Long Lasting Performance
Keeps Dirt On Outside

Guaranteed Horsepower
We will not sell an air intake that does not provide a measured increase in horsepower and torque(acceleration). Our air intakes are proven to increase horsepower and torque on a rear-wheel dynamometer. These thoroughly engineered air intakes provide huge increases in power that a customer will definitely feel when they accelerate.

High-Flow Performance Kits for Trucks and Sport Utility Vehicles

Guaranteed to Provide more HP and Increased Acceleration
Engineered to Specific Vehicle Design
Easy to Install, Usually in 90 minutes or less!
Lasts up to 100,000 Miles Before Service is Required (depending on driving conditions)
Million Mile Limited Warranty
Replaces OEM Filter and Air Box
Air Filter is Washable and Reusable
Works with Original Equipment Manufacturer Computer Systems
Street Legal in Most States (not street legal in CA)
Our 77 Series metal intake kits for trucks and SUVs combine outstanding performance and under-the-hood style. Many consumers will opt for the visual appeal of these kits. The metallic finishes are bold and beautiful. Polished finish kit parts end in KP. Grey finish kits end in KG.
Restriction can exist BETWEEN an air filter and the engine reducing the benefit of a K&N Air Filter alone. The weakest link in the airflow chain robs a vehicle of its natural horsepower. Often that weak point is the factory air path leading to the Engine. K&N Air Intake Kits virtually eliminate air path restriction by replacing the air filter and the entire air path to the engine. The aerodynamically engineered aluminum tube drives a massive amount of air into an engine, which translates into POWER.
These 77 Series kits are truly hand-crafted pieces of art. Available with polished aluminum or gunmetal grey powder coated tubes, these kits are sure to please in every way. They come with an oversized High-Flow conical air filter designed to provide increased surface area and dust capacity. This extra surface area provides even more airflow at lower restriction than a standard K&N O/E replacement filter that is limited to the size of the factory air box. The oversize air filter also captures more dirt increasing the service life before each cleaning is required (up to 100,000 miles). Most 77 Series Kits include a heat shield designed to seal against a vehicle’s hood to isolate the air intake from engine heat. Cooling the air that travels into the engine can increase horsepower all by itself. All our metal intake kits use adapters made from high strength materials such as silicon and reinforced nylon and ensures long life. These kits come standard with powder coated steel brackets.

K&N High Performance Air Intakes
Most people are aware that our High-Flow Air Filter can increase horsepower over a traditional disposable air filter. An air filter change alone however, cannot eliminate other types of air restriction built into the vehicle at the factory. These can be found in the size of the air box and the air path running from the air box to the engine. That’s where air intakes rule the road. They completely replace the factory airflow assembly including the filter, air box and air path.

K&N Air Intakes, the Ultimate Weapon in the Horsepower Wars
Most of our High-Flow Air Intakes can be purchased for less than $350. On the 2003 Ford Mustang SVT®, we actually achieved a 30 horsepower increase. Even our typical air intake gains are in the range of 8 to 16 horsepower. To send an average V-8 down the road at 55 mph, it takes about 17 horsepower. Considering this, you begin to realize just how much of a difference our intakes can make when you step on the gas. We’re proud of these intakes because after you bolt one on, you’ll know something’s different…VERY DIFFERENT!

Info on the Airaid Intake system for the Cadillac Escalade
AIRAID INTAKE SYSTEM, WITH COOL AIR DAM -- 2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade This System Provides Up To 14 HP Over Stock Airbox With Its Substantially Less Restrictive Inlet And Filter Combination, The Exclusive Filter Adapter Feeds Airflow Directly Into The Intake System, The Included Cool Air Dam Helps To Isolate Hot Air From The Filter For A Denser Airflow Charge, Utilizes A Superior, Washable And Reusable Air Filter Which Lasts The Life Of The Vehicle, Made In The USA, Includes AIRAID's Lifetime No Hassle Warranty

Info on the Volant Intake system for the Cdaillac Escalade
Volant Cold Air Intake 2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade "VOLANT COLD AIR INTAKE KIT, WITH BOX -- A High Performance Cold Air Intake Kit That Is Engineered To Increase Horsepower And Engine Response, Features A Filter Box That Insulates And Protects The Filter From Pulling In Hot Air From The Engine Compartment, A Large Diameter Air Duct With Smooth Bends That Ensure A Less Restrictive Air Passage, And A Cleanable And Reusable Ram Filter That Optimizes Airflow Throughout The Intake System, Its Carbon Fiber Look Lid Contributes To The System's Sleek Design And Its Silicon Connectors Provide Flexibility While Maintaining Strength And Thermal Stability, 99.9% Efficient In Removing Dirt, Includes Stainless Steel Clamps, With Volant's Limited Warranty

Info on the Injen Intake system for the Cadillac Escalade
Injen Cold Air Intake - IS - Polished Stainless Steel 2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade "INJEN POWER-FLOW COLD AIR INTAKE, POLISHED -- A Fully Tuned Air Intake System That Features Patent Pending Mega Ram Technology, This Technology Regulates The Volume And Velocity Of The Charged Airflow By Using Variable And Calibrated Diameter Aluminum Tubes Resulting To Massive Performance Gains While Maintaining The Factory Air/Fuel Mixture Safe, Its 2-Stage High-Flow Air Filter Is Housed Inside An Innovative Power Box With Integrated Air Inducer, Air Stabilizer, And Velocity Stack, It Also Features Two Innovative Stainless Steel Pre-Filter Screens Engineered To Repel Debris And Dirt Down To 250 Microns Allowing The Filter To Stay Cleaner And Longer, This Air Intake System Is Fine-Tuned For Specific Applications, C.A.R.B. Certified, 50-State Legal, With Injen's Limited Lifetime Warranty"
Finish: Polished
Material: Stainless Steel
Series: Is

Info on the AEM Intake system for the Cadillac Escalade
AEM Cold Air Intake - Brute Force - Polished 2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade AEM BRUTE FORCE AIR INDUCTION SYSTEM, POLISHED -- Dyno Tuned To Produce Maximum Horsepower And Torque By Locating The Air Filter In The Coolest And Safest Location Of The Engine Compartment, 50 State Legal, Manufactured And Assembled In The USA, Utilizes AEM's 99.52% Efficient Dryflow Synthetic Air Filter Which Never Needs Filter Oil, The Mandrel Bent Inlet Pipe Is Constructed Out Of Lightweight 6063 Aluminum With Reinforced Tig-Welded Brackets And Fittings For Added Durability, Includes A Complete Mounting Kit For A Perfect Fit, Comprehensive Installation Instructions And Decals, Includes Carbon-Black Powdercoated Steel Heat Shield When Applicable, Guaranteed For Life Of The Vehicle By AEM

Fits: LQ9 Engine.
Finish: Polished
Series: Brute Force

Info on the AFE Intake system for the Cadillac Escalade
AFE Cold Air Intake - Magnum Force Stage 2 - Black 2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade "AFE MAGNUM FORCE STAGE 2 CX COLD AIR INTAKE SYSTEM, BLACK OE LOOK FINISH -- 5.5 in. Flange I.D., 7 in. Base, 8 in. Tall, Replaces OE Air Filter With High Flow Performance 360 Degrees Radial Flow Air Filter, Improves Torque, Throttle Response, And Acceleration, Increases Airflow By Up To 75% And Performance By Up To 17.9 hp, Delivers An Aggressive Performance Sound Even With Cover, Trim Sealed Or Covered To Seal Out Hot Engine Air, Features Washable And Reusable Filter That Comes With The Industry's Deepest Pleats For Greater Flow And Dust Holding Capacity, Pre-Positioned Opening For Stock Attachments To Avoid Dangling Wires And Relocating Of Hoses Or Tubes, Includes 3 Angle Velocity Stack, Durable 16-Gauge Powder-Coated Steel Heat Shield That Seals To The Hood, Molded Intake Tube, Pre Positioned PEM-Nuts For Faster And Easier Installation, No Cutting Or Drilling To The Engine Compartment Required, With AFE's Limited 2-Year Warranty"

Fits: LQ9 Engine.
Finish: Black
Series: Magnum Force Stage 2

Lu Scola
12-16-08, 02:45 AM
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh121/stinkypinky112/dubairintake.jpg

Here is a picture of my Intake installed:

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh121/stinkypinky112/dubintake001.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh121/stinkypinky112/dubintake009.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh121/stinkypinky112/dubintake008.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh121/stinkypinky112/dubintake007.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh121/stinkypinky112/dubintake006.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh121/stinkypinky112/dubintake005.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh121/stinkypinky112/dubintake003.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh121/stinkypinky112/dubintake004.jpg

dondullabadazz
12-16-08, 02:57 AM
Werd.
I've been modding these LSX motors for about 10 years now so i know what works and how much it really gives you. Had a 98 SS running high 10's in the 1/4 with just bolt ons. Stock heads, stock cam, stock shortblock.
I don't need a mirrored air box for $300. This cheapy intake gets the job done for hundreds less.

uuh Bolt ons.. come on now i say mid to high 11 with N20 its hard to think of one stock esp with no cam or motor work.. i had a ws6 with fast 96 intake mani with 100mil tb, bolt ons and 150 with et streets and i only can get 11.50 with 1.6 60 ft while Power shiftin..

hcvone
12-16-08, 09:31 AM
After trying many I have been using the Volant on my last few Escalade's, looks close to stock, does not make the drone that most open intakes make, and gives good performance.

SUX2BU
12-16-08, 10:53 AM
uuh Bolt ons.. come on now i say mid to high 11 with N20 its hard to think of one stock esp with no cam or motor work.. i had a ws6 with fast 96 intake mani with 100mil tb, bolt ons and 150 with et streets and i only can get 11.50 with 1.6 60 ft while Power shiftin..

Do a search on LS1tech.com i have the same screen name over there. Probably the best site for any and all tech fo these motors.

SUX2BU
12-16-08, 10:56 AM
After trying many I have been using the Volant on my last few Escalade's, looks close to stock, does not make the drone that most open intakes make, and gives good performance.

I agree. That probably is the best intake money can buy (now that they don't sell the Outlaw one anymore). But i don't mind the slight drone and don't really care how it looks so i went with the ebay one. I'm gonna wrap the aluminum tube in some header wrap to keep the heat away from it.

SUX2BU
12-16-08, 11:00 AM
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-results/1032185-quickest-stock-internals-list-11-77-bump.html
Here you go. These guys don't F*** around. I'm a moderator over there but wasn't allowed on the list because my motor had ARP rod bolts. Which we all know don't add any horsepower but i was gonna be spinning it to 7 grand once i put a cam in so i put them in.

sam hamm
12-16-08, 12:01 PM
like i said the dub is a little to flashy for me. im thinking about the volant but its a little high for a intake too. i might just go with a cheap ebay one with head shield.

SUX2BU
12-16-08, 02:09 PM
I thought the same thing about the heat issue after I first installed it. We checked her out numerous times after running her hard for awhile but the tube never really heated up.

The reason I asked about the brand of intake you got of ebay is that I get alot of customers (mainly older folks) who come in our shop wanting to get intakes but they dont want to pay the 200+ dollars plus labor for one. So I wanted to see if I could find out what brand you had so I could call the manufacturer and get a bunch of them at wholesale cost. If I could have gotten them in bulk for like $50-$60 bucks then I could sell and install them for customers on a budget for $100-$120 out the door.

Overall Im happy with the DUB intake. It doesnt have a loud drone like others do, it looks really nice, and I can do my hair in the mirrored box...LOL J/K!
The only real wat to test if it heats up is to reinstall your MAF after the intake, right off the throttle body, and map your IAT's. I bet mony any metal intake will heat up more thasn a plastic one.
I actually got jipped on the intake. After i got it i saw it for like $60 shipped i think. i can't hear my intake unless i gun it.