: oil pressure

JacksonvilleDeville
12-10-08, 04:01 PM
So i was driving my 96 Deville and the oil light started to come on. Then shortly after the warning came on to turn off engine. (Turn off engine-low oil pressure"

Before i set out this morning i checked the oil, and put some water in for the coolant. Coolant was low, and i did not have any, so i put about one gallon of tap water. In stop and go the coolant temp was around 222, it is usually at 202.

The oil pressure was only low at idle. So in stop and go traffic the light would come on, then once i have it some gas it went away. It has not changed. I just checked the oil agen, and it looks a little high. I had it changed about 250 miles ago.

Any ideas whats going on? Or how to fix this? Where to look?

thanks for your time.

97EldoCoupe
12-10-08, 07:03 PM
That's a problem. Has any work been done to the engine recently that would involve the harmonic balancer being removed? Is there any oil leaks from the cooler lines, if the car has them? Usually Devilles don't have the oil cooler lines. Is the oil new, or old and thin? What about the oil filter? Any knocks or irregular noises coming from the engine?

Best-case scenario - your oil pressure switch is faulty or the wires to it are broken/disconnected somewhere.
Worst-case scenario - your engine has worn out so much that the engine can't build oil pressure anymore.

This is EXTREMELY important. Any time your engine oil pressure light comes on, stop the engine IMMEDIATELY. Even if you're doing 65MPH down the freeway. Shut it off, throw the trans in neutral and coast to the side- because every second the engine runs without oil pressure is causing SEVERE damage to the internals. It's better to get it towed and get it fixed because the engine can still be saved if you respond right away to a loss of oil pressure.

Fill us in on the conditions and we'll try our best to help you. Start by looking for leaks. I'm assuming you had enough oil in the crankcase and haven't run low.

JacksonvilleDeville
12-10-08, 09:26 PM
That's a problem. Has any work been done to the engine recently that would involve the harmonic balancer being removed? Is there any oil leaks from the cooler lines, if the car has them? Usually Devilles don't have the oil cooler lines. Is the oil new, or old and thin? What about the oil filter? Any knocks or irregular noises coming from the engine?

Best-case scenario - your oil pressure switch is faulty or the wires to it are broken/disconnected somewhere.
Worst-case scenario - your engine has worn out so much that the engine can't build oil pressure anymore.

This is EXTREMELY important. Any time your engine oil pressure light comes on, stop the engine IMMEDIATELY. Even if you're doing 65MPH down the freeway. Shut it off, throw the trans in neutral and coast to the side- because every second the engine runs without oil pressure is causing SEVERE damage to the internals. It's better to get it towed and get it fixed because the engine can still be saved if you respond right away to a loss of oil pressure.

Fill us in on the conditions and we'll try our best to help you. Start by looking for leaks. I'm assuming you had enough oil in the crankcase and haven't run low.

Ok. The last work i had done on my car was replacing the front bearing assembly on the passenger side, as well replaced the front axle. While i had this work done they gave me a free oil change. They told me after the work was done that the last people to do my oil change but on a POS oil filter that was about to fall off "it was very loose.

The oil has less than 400 miles on it, and to my knowledge they used high mileage oil as they should. I have >175,000 miles. This morning before i set out i checked the oil, it looked clean but a little high, still under the max line.

No out of the ordinary sounds from the engine. The car sat for 3 months before i had the money to have it fixed. For about two weeks after i got her up and running it did not want to turn over the first time i cranked her over. It usually took 2-3 attempts. Now it usually starts right up.

I was thinking that my putting watter in the radiator today may have something to do with it. More water than coolant, and the coolant temp was at 222, it is usually 202 or less. Engine running hot should thin out the oil, if i am not mistaken. After posting this post this afternoon i had to go back out. For the first 10 miles or so i had no problems at all with the oil light, but in stop and go traffic, the oil light would flicker, but the stop engine light did not come back on.

The oil light only comes on when i am slowing down, or at a stop. Engine RPM under 850.

All the help you can give me will be most appreciated.

Submariner409
12-10-08, 10:40 PM
Faulty oil pressure sending unit. On the filter adapter. www.rockauto.com (http://www.rockauto.com), ACDelco or Delphi part only. Simple change, but check the connector first, the oil change monkey may have "accidentally" loosened it.

Ranger
12-10-08, 10:50 PM
Yeah, what Sub said, and keep your coolant at a 50/50 mix. If you have to keep topping it off, there is a leak somewhere.

dkozloski
12-10-08, 11:02 PM
The first thing to do when troubleshooting an oil pressure problem is to temporarily install a mechanical oil pressure gauge to find out what the hell is really going on. For some reason everybody fights this most obvious procedure to their last breath. Tee into the port where the oil pressure sending unit is installed. Anything else is pure guesswork.

97EldoCoupe
12-11-08, 12:01 AM
dkosloski is right. Install a mechanical guage. In my opinion every car should have one built in under the hood somewhere because oil is the lifeblood of the engine. No oil, no engine (at least not for long). The pressure switch is cheap like Sub said. Get it changed. Don't even run the car until you get to the bottom of this issue, except to check the oil pressure.

97EldoCoupe
12-11-08, 12:02 AM
How long have you owned the car? Do you know the history?

Ranger
12-11-08, 03:56 PM
Personally I have never heard of any one with a bad oil pump. Switch failures are rather common. That is why no one bothers. I would just R & R the switch. In the unlikely event that I still had a problem, then I'd plumb in a gauge.

JacksonvilleDeville
12-11-08, 05:01 PM
How long have you owned the car? Do you know the history?

Life. I have seen this car everyday for the past 11 years. I have records of everything, from oil changes to recalls. Anytime someone has touched this car i keep a record of the work done, when, what for, by who and why. So i know the history.

Other than the fuel rails this motor has NEVER had any problems. Hell before the recall i did the repair work on those fuel rails that went out one by one.

Most of the work done on my Deville has been suspension and drive line. The car was crashed once, well kinda. It Hydroplaned going down I-95 in a storm ended up on its side with 2 less wheels on it in the median. All work was done by Cadillac if i remember correctly. They even gave me a CTS for a month while the work was being done.

But with the motor, no problems at all.

I have not been driving the car, and i plan to get under it this weekend when i have the time and the ramps and i will be replacing AC Delco Oil Pressure Switch.

e2bwild
12-11-08, 07:48 PM
I had a similar problem on my 97 deville.
coolant was running 220 and the oil pressure light was flickering.
i replaced the pressure switch and also found some lines and ran the engine oil to cool off on the RH side of the radiator.
Sevilles usually have oil cooler lines and i was lucky to find all the stuff i needed at the junkyard.

i cannot tell you if it was only a switch problem because i did all the work at once.

Never add tap water !!!!!
i would advice to drain all the coolant from the car and refill with the GM certified coolant.
Believe me you do not want to wear out your Head Gaskets.

If your car was running 202 and now jumped to 220 you might have a bad thermostat or the heads gaskets started to go.

keep us posted
Eli

STSj90
12-12-08, 02:56 AM
Just FYI, Maybe your just wathcing the coolant temp closer now and noticed its getting ''hotter'' Than normal. 220 is normal in stop and go traffic. If its staying at this while drving at a constant speed..Somthing is wrong...What are your temps driving around at 55-60? I see your in florida like me so hot weather is normal. lol One day its cold...Next day...Hot as hell.lol :bouncy:

Just so you know. If you FILL the surge tank full (way to much). Your coolant will keep leaking out. It needs to be half way up the tank.

Like i said, 220 is normal in stop and go traffic. Let us know what your temps are in normal driving(Constant 55-60 MPH).

JacksonvilleDeville
12-14-08, 11:46 PM
Just FYI, Maybe your just wathcing the coolant temp closer now and noticed its getting ''hotter'' Than normal. 220 is normal in stop and go traffic. If its staying at this while drving at a constant speed..Somthing is wrong...What are your temps driving around at 55-60? I see your in florida like me so hot weather is normal. lol One day its cold...Next day...Hot as hell.lol :bouncy:

Just so you know. If you FILL the surge tank full (way to much). Your coolant will keep leaking out. It needs to be half way up the tank.

Like i said, 220 is normal in stop and go traffic. Let us know what your temps are in normal driving(Constant 55-60 MPH).

Your right, i remember that day was hot, finally because is was cold for the past two weeks. At 55 it stays within the limits of 202-197