: Driving Pet Peeves

Aurora5000
12-10-08, 12:29 PM
Top Driving Peeves

What annoys us about the behavior of other drivers. Here's the top peeves, with cutsey names:

Drivers who leave their turn signal on for miles (Morse Coders) Perhaps these Morse Coders are leaving their turn signals beaming across the galaxies in search of other life forms.

Changing lanes without signaling (Space Invaders) over the years, auto manufacturers have refined the operations of that little stalk that extends from every vehicle’s steering column. Space Invaders obviously haven’t caught on to this cutting-edge technology yet.

Women applying makeup and also men shaving (Driving Divas) Don’t these Driving Divas have indoor plumbing? Please, the rest of us handle personal grooming habits at home. I even see people brushing AND flossing their teeth in the car! It's a car, not a bathroom. Get up five minutes earlier! (And let's not get started on the nose pickers.
Do you think we can't see you?)

Motorcyclists who race down the middle of a lane, between cars (Speed Racers) This is the kind of behavior that gives some motorcyclists a bad rap. Speed Racers end up high-sided, face down on the pavement. The Highway Patrol scrapes them up off the cement EVERY DAY.

Road Rage (Road Ragers) These offenders obviously will not stop until you respond to their “need to communicate” which comes in many forms including “sign language” (flipping of the finger), the “shout out” (using words that no good Samaritan should say).

Multitasking- (Task Masters) who do 2 or more of the following things while driving- eat,drink, smoke,read books / newspaper, text message,take their hands off the steering wheel, yell at kids.

Drivers who weave through traffic several times to gain one or two car lengths (Wacky Weavers) These Wacky Weavers are chopping off fellow motorists, changing lanes with abandon – all in an effort to roll up to the next red light 10 seconds before you do.

Pushy drivers who tailgate (Piggybackers) Unless you’re at Daytona racing Dale Jr. for the lead, there’s no reason to tailgate. Leave the bump-drafting to NASCAR. Also drivers who try to go around you then cut back in front of you, hit their brakes just to turn at the intersection ahead.

Slow drivers in the fast lane (Turtle Racers) It doesn’t matter to these Turtle Racers that the average traffic flow is 20 mph faster than they are traveling; they just “cruise” at their own pace.

Distracted drivers talking on cell phones (Motor Mouths) Americans love to multi-task so it comes as no surprise that drivers drifting into other lanes while dialing, downloading or just good old fashioned phone chatter, makes Motor Mouths the number one pet peeve.

I could go on and on... Lets hear your stories and pet names if you have some.

PLEASE HANG UP AND DRIVE !!!

MauiV
12-10-08, 12:57 PM
Anyone in my left lane. If I am able to pass you on the right, YOU are in the wrong lane.

People that cant read "Lane closed ahead" and continue until they are forces to a complete stop before they can merge. I also hate anyone who thinks they are the most special person on Earth and shoot up the emergency lane and then cut into traffic. I also hate the people that let these asshats in front of them. I will put you in the wall if you try to pass me in the emergency lane.

People that cant merge from on-ramps. The brake is not the peddle that makes this possible.

People that buy white Crown Vics. There is a special place in Hell for you.

dkozloski
12-10-08, 01:07 PM
People that obsess about other drivers rather than paying attention to their own business.

Rolex
12-10-08, 01:57 PM
Siolent-but-violent farting with the windows up. :ack:

eyekandyboats.inc
12-10-08, 06:59 PM
brake happy people.
people who cant use a peddle properly and don't know what the word coast is. instead rev there engine in traffic and then hit the brakes or people who follow to closely and brake every second

firstimecaddi
12-10-08, 08:58 PM
People that cant read "Lane closed ahead" and continue until they are forces to a complete stop before they can merge. I also hate....

actually that statement might be erroneous. There is a term for that, it is "late merging" and have been proven to be rather more efficient method of merging. This technique not only makes it easier to merge, it helps ease the congestion of people trying to merge.

Vesicant
12-10-08, 09:17 PM
How about people not accelerating up to traffic flow while merging. It seems like every day this happens. I'll see an opening in traffic in my side mirror but cant speed up because of the people infront. The oncoming traffic from behind DOES NOT want to slow down and I'm fearing for my life here...

dkozloski
12-10-08, 09:31 PM
One thing that differentiates driving in the U.S. and almost any other civilized country is the process of getting licensed as a driver. Anywhere else you have to take a standardized driver education course. In the U.S. you take a couple of laps around the wheatfield with Uncle Eddy and if you can hear thunder and see lightning, pass the written and the driving test, you're good to go. I doubt seriously that there are very many U.S. drivers that could get a driving license anywhere else in the world. Nobody in the U.S. has any clearly defined idea what the hell they're supposed to be doing behind the wheel beyond what they see the other clowns doing.

mighty_quad4
12-10-08, 09:31 PM
Top Driving Peeves

What annoys us about the behavior of other drivers. Here's the top peeves, with cutsey names:

Drivers who leave their turn signal on for miles (Morse Coders) Perhaps these Morse Coders are leaving their turn signals beaming across the galaxies in search of other life forms.

Changing lanes without signaling (Space Invaders) over the years, auto manufacturers have refined the operations of that little stalk that extends from every vehicle’s steering column. Space Invaders obviously haven’t caught on to this cutting-edge technology yet.

Women applying makeup and also men shaving (Driving Divas) Don’t these Driving Divas have indoor plumbing? Please, the rest of us handle personal grooming habits at home. I even see people brushing AND flossing their teeth in the car! It's a car, not a bathroom. Get up five minutes earlier! (And let's not get started on the nose pickers.
Do you think we can't see you?)

Motorcyclists who race down the middle of a lane, between cars (Speed Racers) This is the kind of behavior that gives some motorcyclists a bad rap. Speed Racers end up high-sided, face down on the pavement. The Highway Patrol scrapes them up off the cement EVERY DAY.

Road Rage (Road Ragers) These offenders obviously will not stop until you respond to their “need to communicate” which comes in many forms including “sign language” (flipping of the finger), the “shout out” (using words that no good Samaritan should say).

Multitasking- (Task Masters) who do 2 or more of the following things while driving- eat,drink, smoke,read books / newspaper, text message,take their hands off the steering wheel, yell at kids.

Drivers who weave through traffic several times to gain one or two car lengths (Wacky Weavers) These Wacky Weavers are chopping off fellow motorists, changing lanes with abandon – all in an effort to roll up to the next red light 10 seconds before you do.

Pushy drivers who tailgate (Piggybackers) Unless you’re at Daytona racing Dale Jr. for the lead, there’s no reason to tailgate. Leave the bump-drafting to NASCAR. Also drivers who try to go around you then cut back in front of you, hit their brakes just to turn at the intersection ahead.

Slow drivers in the fast lane (Turtle Racers) It doesn’t matter to these Turtle Racers that the average traffic flow is 20 mph faster than they are traveling; they just “cruise” at their own pace.

Distracted drivers talking on cell phones (Motor Mouths) Americans love to multi-task so it comes as no surprise that drivers drifting into other lanes while dialing, downloading or just good old fashioned phone chatter, makes Motor Mouths the number one pet peeve.

I could go on and on... Lets hear your stories and pet names if you have some.

PLEASE HANG UP AND DRIVE !!!

just an observation, but Turtle Racers are the reason you see most Piggybackers, Wacky Weavers, and Road Ragers. people need to understand that being courteous might also mean you have to move the hell over from time to time. just because youre doing the speed limit doesnt mean youre immune from getting a ticket. many states have laws against impeding the flow of traffic. i have personally seen people pulled over for holding up traffic.

also, passing vehicles in the middle of the lanes with a motorcycle isnt illegal in California. also, a study shows that California riders have 30% fewer rear end motorcycle accidents vs states with similar riding seasons [ FL and TX ]. this is an excellent article about lane splitting. http://www.whybike.com/blog/index.php?p=147

Rolex
12-10-08, 09:54 PM
How about people not accelerating up to traffic flow while merging. It seems like every day this happens. I'll see an opening in traffic in my side mirror but cant speed up because of the people infront. The oncoming traffic from behind DOES NOT want to slow down and I'm fearing for my life here...

Do they ever come to a complete stop on the freeway on ramp with their blinker on? It's happened to me twice since this summer. Que the quad 135 dB air horns. :bighead:

MauiV
12-10-08, 11:14 PM
People that cant read "Lane closed ahead" and continue until they are forces to a complete stop before they can merge. I also hate....

actually that statement might be erroneous. There is a term for that, it is "late merging" and have been proven to be rather more efficient method of merging. This technique not only makes it easier to merge, it helps ease the congestion of people trying to merge.

It is far more efficient for the jackass that passes several hundred stopped cars. You know why they are stopped? Because of people continuing to try to merge at the point the lane is closed/ends and people already moving in slow traffic are forced to stop to allow some mofo that thinks he is somehow more special than everyone else.

The lane that isnt closed should NEVER come to a stop but it does because of late mergers forcing people on their brakes. If people merged at a poin where the traffic is still moving it would continue to move through the bottle neck.

creeker
12-10-08, 11:26 PM
You want to make a left turn at an intersection,the guy in front of you is also making a left turn,he sits back far enough (instead of getting well into the intersection) that when the light changes to red,he goes through and your stuck behind the line, to wait for the longest light cycle change in town.

Aron9000
12-11-08, 01:53 AM
It is far more efficient for the jackass that passes several hundred stopped cars. You know why they are stopped? Because of people continuing to try to merge at the point the lane is closed/ends and people already moving in slow traffic are forced to stop to allow some mofo that thinks he is somehow more special than everyone else.

The lane that isnt closed should NEVER come to a stop but it does because of late mergers forcing people on their brakes. If people merged at a poin where the traffic is still moving it would continue to move through the bottle neck.

I have straight up run over somebody in that situation. I was driving the company's box van(big diesel International sucker). We were at the very end of the merge part, where he had to get over. The dumbass in a nice dually Ford pickup tried to sneak in on me while I was laying on the horn. I didn't even try to stop, no point, I was hitting him one way or the other. Hit him at about 20mph, destroyed the front of his truck, busted up the front suspension on his, pushed in my front bumper a little. It was funny, he kind of bounced off the front of my truck. He got out of his truck all pissed off looking to kick my ass, but there were three of us and only one of him.

gdwriter
12-11-08, 02:15 AM
This time of year, we can get some pretty thick fog in Western Oregon, and I'm amazed to see people driving without their lights on. In some cases, without lights, you can't see another car until it's practically right in front of you. I will often flash my lights at them, and some will take the hint and turn on their lights, but others drive on, oblivious.

Aron9000
12-11-08, 02:24 AM
^that reminds me of driving in the rain on the interstate. People are ****ing stupid. I generally try to drive 65-70mph in a light rain. There are some people who feel the need to drive 50mph, then there are those ****ers who fly past you at 70-80mph, weaving in and out of traffic. The danger isn't the rain, its everybody going different speeds, people weaving, having to slow way down for the idiot doing 45mph.

Jon
12-11-08, 03:34 AM
I have no idea what's going on lately but people have been getting worse at camping in the left lanes. I have absolutely ZERO problems with anyone that wants to obey the speedlimit on the dot. Just don't do it in the PASSING LANE.

Then there are the retards that will cut off 3 lanes of traffic just to hold up the passing lane. I see it everyday. They come off the onramp, cut off 3 lanes of traffic and camp in the passing lane.

You guys are either gonna shake your head or laugh, but that's why I have these mounted on my roof. Two big ass spot lights.

http://www.jon04ctsv.com/images/IMG_1727.jpg
http://www.jon04ctsv.com/images/IMG_1731.jpg

dkozloski
12-11-08, 09:41 AM
You want to make a left turn at an intersection,the guy in front of you is also making a left turn,he sits back far enough (instead of getting well into the intersection) that when the light changes to red,he goes through and your stuck behind the line, to wait for the longest light cycle change in town.
It might interest you to know that the guy is trying to comply with the law. It's against the law to enter an intersection unless there is room for you to drive all the way through. Sitting in the intersection waiting for the light to turn for the oncoming cars so you can sneak, through can get you a ticket.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
12-11-08, 10:37 AM
This time of year, we can get some pretty thick fog in Western Oregon, and I'm amazed to see people driving without their lights on. In some cases, without lights, you can't see another car until it's practically right in front of you. I will often flash my lights at them, and some will take the hint and turn on their lights, but others drive on, oblivious.

We have the same problem, but in the snow. IMO thats even worse because if you pull out in front of someone you can't see they won't be able to stop.

I also hate people who buy white Crown Vics. There is a special place in hell for you.

Haha. What about black ones?

The horn on my winter truck does not work and it really sucks. The other day I almost got into 3 accidents all within 1.5 miles of each other. I had some retard pull out in front of me because I was turning and he though I had a stop sign but I didn't. The other 2 were in the parking lot at school when I had 2 people almost back right into me.

Rolex
12-11-08, 10:42 AM
Blocking the box.

One BIGGIE for me is our resident aliens that don't seem to know it's NOT okay to pass around a school bus when it's stopped and it's lights are flashing. :angry:

Coma
12-11-08, 11:25 AM
It might interest you to know that the guy is trying to comply with the law. It's against the law to enter an intersection unless there is room for you to drive all the way through. Sitting in the intersection waiting for the light to turn for the oncoming cars so you can sneak, through can get you a ticket.

Confirmed? I'm going to start doing that now. Didn't know it was illegal.. Hmm. You learn something new every day.

EcSTSatic
12-11-08, 11:37 AM
Hmmm. What started out as a clever driver definition thread turned out to be yet another whiner column. Face it guys, as long as there is free will, there will be jerks on the road. The alternative is to regulate and enforce bad habits. There must be a happy median.

• Bribes, Threats and Other Secrets to Getting Your License
• Intimidating Pedestrians
• Making Your Car Louder
• Turn Signals: Why Give Up the Element of Surprise?
• Tailgating: How Close Is Not Close Enough?
• Sleeping at the Wheel (Do's & Don'ts)
• Motorcycles: Faster, Cooler, Safer!
• Driving When You Can No Longer See

http://www.santamonicapress.com/images/covers/baddriver.jpg

firstimecaddi
12-11-08, 11:46 AM

exactly the opposite, the bottle neck is caused by people wanting to merge early, because they force the person that they are merging in front of to slow down. This creates a chain reaction. The early mergers are the ones that cause the back up. Merging at the very last moment though, relies on each person "taking their turn"....this is where it breaks down.
Do your research...its is true.

MauiV
12-11-08, 12:47 PM
exactly the opposite, the bottle neck is caused by people wanting to merge early, because they force the person that they are merging in front of to slow down. This creates a chain reaction. The early mergers are the ones that cause the back up. Merging at the very last moment though, relies on each person "taking their turn"....this is where it breaks down.
Do your research...its is true.

If everyone merged into the open lane 3 miles back where the sign said that the lane ends they would still be merging at 55 mph. From that point on there would be NO NEED to slow down again.

There is no "taking turns". The dumbass in the lane that ends is the one out of place and HE is the one that needs to find a hole. It is not my responsibility to correct his inability to drive or allow him a spot in the line I waited patiently in. Being that I am in the CORRECT lane does not force me to yield to an asshat that cant read. I have made more than 1 idiot eat barrels or cones and I will do it every chance I get.

My other pet peeve is idiots that pull into an intersection when traffic is already backed up into that intersection. At that point my whole goal in life is to beat them to the gap that open when the car in front of them moves. I LAUNCH my car off the line as soon as the light turns gree right at them. I actually enjoy seeing the terror on some oblivious ****s face as I come off the line right at their driver door. If I can get in front of them I make sure the car behind me is also going to fill that hole and hope that the moron gets hung out in the middle with 2 lanes of traffic moving ahead and behind them.

They say the death penalty isnt crime deterent. If it wasnt the ditches would be full of deserving vicitims.

dkozloski
12-11-08, 02:07 PM
Blocking the box.

One BIGGIE for me is our resident aliens that don't seem to know it's NOT okay to pass around a school bus when it's stopped and it's lights are flashing. :angry:
Around here if you're identified as driving past a school bus loading passengers it'll cost you $1000 and six points. If all they get is the license number it'll still cost you $75. The kids are alert and seldom miss getting the license plate number. My neighbor got nailed as my boy was getting on the school bus.

firstimecaddi
12-11-08, 03:00 PM
by merging early, you are increasing the capacity of the lane that will not be closed. Which has the effect of creating the bottleneck sooner. Now if both lanes are utilized until the point of the merge, the result will be freeer flowing traffic and less time spent stuck in the bottleneck.

Coma
12-11-08, 03:13 PM
Traffic will be slow either way. The point I would make is that the person who cut in front of everyone else didn't wait in line and take HIS turn.

mighty_quad4
12-11-08, 08:17 PM

Confirmed? I'm going to start doing that now. Didn't know it was illegal.. Hmm. You learn something new every day.

this varies from state to state. you might wanna check Alaska's driving statues to make sure youre not potentially holding up traffic.

http://www.touchngo.com/lglcntr/akstats/aac/title13/chapter002/section120.htm

http://www.touchngo.com/lglcntr/akstats/aac/title13/chapter002/section125.htm

http://www.touchngo.com/lglcntr/akstats/aac/title13/chapter002/section200.htm

http://www.touchngo.com/lglcntr/akstats/aac/title13/chapter002/section215.htm

Alaska Driver's Handbook. http://www.state.ak.us/dmv/dlmanual/dlman.pdf

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

xocomaox, here is the link to your states statute concerning intersections and left hand turns. http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4511.36

dkozloski
12-11-08, 08:48 PM
this varies from state to state. you might wanna check Alaska's driving statues to make sure youre not potentially holding up traffic.

http://www.touchngo.com/lglcntr/akstats/aac/title13/chapter002/section120.htm

http://www.touchngo.com/lglcntr/akstats/aac/title13/chapter002/section125.htm

http://www.touchngo.com/lglcntr/akstats/aac/title13/chapter002/section200.htm

http://www.touchngo.com/lglcntr/akstats/aac/title13/chapter002/section215.htm

Alaska Driver's Handbook. http://www.state.ak.us/dmv/dlmanual/dlman.pdf

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

xocomaox, here is the link to your states statute concerning intersections and left hand turns. http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4511.36
The local newspaper has a weekly "Ask the Trooper" column and the intersection left turn was the topic a couple of weeks ago. He stated you can't enter the intersection unless you can drive all the way through without getting trapped. One of the biggest causes of fatal accidents locally is people who sit in a left turn lane with their wheels turned to the left. They get hit from the rear and they are propelled into a head on collision. I learned in a defensive driving course 25 years ago that you don't turn the wheels to the left until oncoming traffic clears.

Red_October_7000
12-11-08, 11:22 PM
Around here if you're identified as driving past a school bus loading passengers it'll cost you $1000 and six points. If all they get is the license number it'll still cost you $75. The kids are alert and seldom miss getting the license plate number. My neighbor got nailed as my boy was getting on the school bus.

And I thought Big Brother found the great white north inhospitable.
School busses are MY driving pet peeve; the operators are inbicilic soccer moms seemingly chosen because they are so zoned out on Vallium that they don't care about the 75 screaming shits in the back, which has the side-effect of making them completely oblivious to traffic as well, driving as if the roads were completely devoid of other motorists, or even obstacles; I've seen them drive up onto curbs and flower beds, etc, many times, and had my car almost crushed twice, and almost hit with the back end once. They don't care if there is following traffic, etc, they just stop wherever, and usually in the middle of an intersection (in MA at least this is not strictly illegal but it is done at the risk of the operator -i.e. a kid gets flattened because the driver stopped diagonally across a 4-way, then the driver is at fault)... tell me THAT isn't an accident waiting to happen.

dkozloski
12-12-08, 12:23 AM
And I thought Big Brother found the great white north inhospitable.
School busses are MY driving pet peeve; the operators are inbicilic soccer moms seemingly chosen because they are so zoned out on Vallium that they don't care about the 75 screaming shits in the back, which has the side-effect of making them completely oblivious to traffic as well, driving as if the roads were completely devoid of other motorists, or even obstacles; I've seen them drive up onto curbs and flower beds, etc, many times, and had my car almost crushed twice, and almost hit with the back end once. They don't care if there is following traffic, etc, they just stop wherever, and usually in the middle of an intersection (in MA at least this is not strictly illegal but it is done at the risk of the operator -i.e. a kid gets flattened because the driver stopped diagonally across a 4-way, then the driver is at fault)... tell me THAT isn't an accident waiting to happen.
My special needs boy rides the special needs bus. The drivers and attendants are some of the most caring and thoughtful people I have ever met. Every thought and every action is what is best for the kids. They are genuine heroes and you couldn't pay them enough to fully compensate them for the job they do. They are entrusted with the care and well being of some of the most vulnerable among us and we owe them a debt of gratitude. Many are retired people that feel that they still have something to offer their fellow human beings. When I help get my son on and off the bus the smiles and greeting from these wonderful kids makes my whole day.

mighty_quad4
12-12-08, 07:03 AM
dk, the trooper sounds like he is giving his opinion versus fact. the handbook tells you its ok to wait in the intersection. it even gives you a limit as to how far you can go in it. "Wait for oncomming vehicles in the intersection. Don't proceeed past the center of intersection." the next step tells you to keep the wheel facing forward. i agree with you on that point, it seems rather obvious to me but some people need a little help when it comes to common sense.

there are other states where is specfically states that you can sit in the intersection to turn. some even tell you it ok to turn once the light turns red. now, there are people who take advantage of this but it doesnt make the law wrong. its the people that are wrong. this leads to the "3 car limit" right turn on red that many motorists adopt for themselves. thats when the first car in line plus 2 more turn on the red. of course its wrong but it happens.

imo the real problem is that theres 50 different laws telling you how or to turn left. this leads to the type of drivers we have now days. stupid people will always be stupid but sometimes the mistakes you see are from people that grew up and learned how to drive in 1 state, move, and drive in another. sure they should review that states handbook, but should you REALLY have to review a handbook on how to turn left? that should be standard.

my personal pet peeve is the drivers who can not grasp what a merge lane is for. if youre one of the people who stop at the end of the lane [ anyone ] PLEASE DONT DO THIS. you are being unsafe and about to cause an accident, look in the rear view at the line of cars about to park inside your trunk for motivation. for the love of God please accelerate to the proper speed and merge. blinkers and a gas pedal work WONDERS when trying to merge.

dkozloski
12-12-08, 10:35 AM
After going back and re-reading the troopers answer, he said that you don't enter the intersection unless you anticipate being able to drive all the way through without getting trapped. In that case the first guy making the turn can pull into the intersection because he'll be able to, worst case, cut the light but the guy behind him has to wait behind the cross walk. If you get trapped you're dead meat. I've been hit headon twice by people turning left with a green "through" light but no green turn arrow. In that case you can turn left but you have to yield to oncoming traffic, "me".

Coma
12-12-08, 11:58 AM
Thank you for that summary, koz.

Aurora5000
04-15-09, 09:22 AM
Anyone else?

ThumperPup
04-15-09, 08:50 PM
all of the above what eveyrone els her has said plus
those who do not use there blinkers hate that

Jesda
04-15-09, 09:22 PM
St Louis County is a collection of independent small towns of 400-40,000 people. St Louis City is a smaller densely populated piece of land.

As you drive down a boulevard through St Louis County, its possible to pass through 5 towns in 10 minutes. Each town has its own way of turning left and its own police enforcement. Creve Coeur is right next to Chesterfield, where I live. In Creve Coeur they use a flashing yellow to indicate a left turn yield. In Chesterfield they use a solid green.

The towns also have their own snow plows, so you can drive down a road and enjoy clean pavement then hit a patch of snow, then more clean pavement.

Red_October_7000
04-15-09, 11:23 PM
The other day some jackass went through a corner at normal speed, and I followed in behind him from a yield from the other way. He then, for no apparent reason, jumps on his brakes down from maybe 30-32 down to 22. No good reason. This is an admittedly overcomplex intersection, so I think it was merely sepperating the wheat from the chaff, but intersections should not be designed to foster this. In my town they bollocks up roads so badly it is laughable, where else would they make a straight road crooked?

MauiV
04-15-09, 11:30 PM
I had to spend a month in OKC once. They dont have turn lanes there. Most of the surface streets are 4 lanes with no middle lane. You can be tooling along at 50 MPH with a truck you cant see around in front of you and a car to your right when all of the sudden the truck moves to the right lane and you cant follow him but there is a STOPPED car tring to make a left turn across oncoming traffic sitting in front of you. I have never seen a more dangerous set up.

dkozloski
04-16-09, 01:36 AM
I had to spend a month in OKC once. They dont have turn lanes there. Most of the surface streets are 4 lanes with no middle lane. You can be tooling along at 50 MPH with a truck you cant see around in front of you and a car to your right when all of the sudden the truck moves to the right lane and you cant follow him but there is a STOPPED car tring to make a left turn across oncoming traffic sitting in front of you. I have never seen a more dangerous set up.
We've got some of those around here and somebody is always getting clobbered.

V-Eight
04-17-09, 10:07 PM
People that buy white Crown Vics. There is a special place in Hell for you.

Or that goldy-brown, that's what our unmarked cops drive.

Jesda
04-17-09, 11:10 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/2e2phug.jpg

billc83
04-18-09, 12:38 AM
I just got one earlier today: People who don't understand roandabouts.

Recently (as in a few years ago), my city and surrounding areas decided it would be a great idea to build roundabouts instead of stop signs or stop lights because "they look nicer." Most people have gotten used to them, but there's still the occassional mental midget who doesn't understand how they work.

Granted, roundabouts aren't the simplest concept, but it's not exactly rocket science. Slow down and yield to traffic in the roundabout. If there's no traffic, you can cruise on through. If there is traffic, stop until you find an opening.

The worst though, is when a car in a roundabout STOPS to let someone in. YOU DO NOT STOP IN A F***ING ROUNDABOUT!!!!

V-Eight
04-18-09, 01:17 AM
I just got one earlier today: People who don't understand roandabouts.

Recently (as in a few years ago), my city and surrounding areas decided it would be a great idea to build roundabouts instead of stop signs or stop lights because "they look nicer." Most people have gotten used to them, but there's still the occassional mental midget who doesn't understand how they work.

Granted, roundabouts aren't the simplest concept, but it's not exactly rocket science. Slow down and yield to traffic in the roundabout. If there's no traffic, you can cruise on through. If there is traffic, stop until you find an opening.

The worst though, is when a car in a roundabout STOPS to let someone in. YOU DO NOT STOP IN A F***ING ROUNDABOUT!!!!

I don't really know how to use them, but that is because we have none in our city, or maybe one that I've never taken. I'm sure it really isn't hard.

Red_October_7000
04-18-09, 01:27 AM
In Massachusetts we have both ordinary Roundabouts as well as the older traffic circles, which for the uninitiated are huge things with lousy visibility and many, many exits. Roundabouts are rare in the US, but the circles are even rarer. Nobody really knows what to do with them -either kind- even though they grew up with them. Fortunately a big, old, nasty one that actually transsected a bridge (It's in Reading, my fellow M@ssh0les may know it) was part of my driving school's instruction.

V-Eight
04-18-09, 01:29 AM
The US just has a lot of freeways, doesn't it?

Red_October_7000
04-18-09, 01:36 AM
The US just has a lot of freeways, doesn't it?

A great many indeed. They are quite popular.

MauiV
04-18-09, 01:37 AM
The curent town I live in has a traffic circle built around the original courthouse downtown and it is very easy and self explanatory to use.

I grew up in Lexington and the main shopping corridor which runs from downtown, through the UK campus, through the shopping district to the burbs is at some spots 7 lanes wide and these lanes are normally 3 into town, 3 out of town and a center turn lane. HOWEVER, in the morning its 5 lanes into town, 1 lane out and 1 turn. You guessed it, in the afternoon rush its 5 lanes out of town, 1 in and 1 turn. These signals are used to show you what lanes are what. If you are not familiar with the system you are SCREWED.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/jdinmaui/ken3.jpg

Jesda
04-18-09, 04:10 AM
I noticed that Indianapolis uses a lane system that like on... Binford Parkway I think?

billc83
04-18-09, 06:17 PM
Oh yes, the old multiple lanes with direction stipulated by red X's and green arrows. I ran into that a while back going to Canada. You get used to it quick when you realize traffic is coming directly at you!

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
04-18-09, 07:51 PM
They do that lane thing up in Sandusky, Ohio as well, near the amusement parks. I am surprised there aren't more accidents there considering most people driving in that area are tourists.

Aron9000
04-20-09, 06:03 AM
They have those on a couple of bridges in Nashville. Not that hard to figure out IMO, don't drive where the red X is.

Another one of my pet peeves is people who take up both lanes going around corners on a narrow, twisty two lane road.

FOR ****S SAKE STAY IN YOUR ****ING LANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bomb:

I almost got ran off the road by some dueche bag in a big F250 pickup earlier tonight. He was two feet in my lane, probably came about 2" from my mirror. It seems like its always some asshat in a big truck that's hogging your lane.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
04-20-09, 11:48 AM
Another one of my pet peeves is people who take up both lanes going around corners on a narrow, twisty two lane road.

I do that but only late at night on Interstates and on the roads in the country where I can see around the corner. There is one very cool s-curve heading out to my grandparent's that goes though a small valley and I love flying though it Nascar style.

Rodya234
04-20-09, 11:49 AM
My biggestest driving pet peeve is other drivers. :rolleyes:

trukk
04-21-09, 03:33 PM
1) if 2 or more lanes, the left lane is for overtaking only
2) if 2 or more lanes, no passing on the right
3) Zipper merge, it's not that hard (this f*cks up DC traffic probabaly more than anything). One for one guys, it's not a cock fight up there. :banghead:

Virginia is quite possibly the worst state ever for #1 and #2 above. All passing is done on the right, because every 60 mph camper just parks in the left lane. It is beyond annoying. Everytime I have to drive in that suckhole state they call a commonwealth, I have to stop myself from passing those morons on the shoulder. I NEVER have this thought in my home state of MD.

-Chris

ga_etc
04-22-09, 02:50 PM
People who pull out into traffic without looking. You're not the only one in the world ***hole, pay attention to what you are doing. I live on a dead end road and there is a driveway coming out of a God-forsaken flea market. I can't count the number of times that I've nearly been hit or have nearly hit some moron pulling out of there. I've actually had people look dead at me and pull out anyway. It makes me wish that I had something very old and big to drive that I didn't care about so I could hit them. Someone F's up my Eldorado and I'll go to jail cause there will be a fight.

gary88
04-22-09, 02:56 PM
I hate the goobers who drive slow in the left lane. This is why we can't have nice things (like autobahns).

CadillacCastle
04-22-09, 07:14 PM
drivers talking on the phone has to be the worst. it used to be the old people driving too slow on the highway. Drivers talking on the phone made the old lady drivers look like professional drivers now. Drivers on the phone do everything the old lady drivers used to do like drive 20 mph under the speed limit with 20 cars trying to get around them, driving with the blinker on until they get home. I live in a small town that you can go across town anywhere in 10 minutes, but some people have to call their spouse to tell them they are on their way home. I had a friend that would call before he came over and 7 minutes later he had to call his wife to tell her he made it to my house and call her to say he was on his way home. I think he was talking to her on the drive to and from everywhere he went, I think he was just henpecked to the max. I was turning into walmart off of the highway with a lot of cars close behind me and I had to stop because a woman in a Mercedest was on the phone trying to exit the inlet drive to the store. There have been quiet a few kids killed texting while driving. Phones in cars should be illegal if not concealed. I have to keep my pistols concealed in my glove box and arm wrest, why not phones. At least they should pull into a parking lot to make their phone calls. I am not sure but someone told me that German cars do not have cup holders. I wish I knew that for a fact, it does make sense to keep both hands on the steering wheel. In Dallas they did make it illegal to talk on a phone in a school zone. I do think most phone calls in cars are not necessary or could wait until the car is parked.

billc83
04-22-09, 08:35 PM
^ In Washington State, talking on a cell phone while driving is a ticketable offense, unless you're using a hands-free device (i.e. Bluetooth). I honestly don't think outlawing it has helped any; I still see drivers talking on them all the time.

MauiV
04-22-09, 10:00 PM
It isnt the actual holding of the phone that is of the problem for most folks, its the distraction of the conversation itself. Throw in the sheer numbers of people who are oblivious to anything going on outside their own auto and the road is full of idiots. They say that capital punishment isnt crime deterrent, I beg to differ because otherwise the ditches would be FULL of these idiots.

Driving a 6 speed is a GREAT excuse to not have to talk to people in the car.

dkozloski
04-23-09, 01:34 AM
I hate the drivers that barrel through intersections while turning and cutting the lanes. You don't dare pull all the way up to the crosswalk to try to see the cross traffic because they are so far out of their lane they'll hit you head on. Just as bad are the drivers that overrun the oncoming lane while turning and force you clear up on the sidewalk before they turn back to their own side of the road.

AMGoff
04-23-09, 02:10 AM
Circles are definitely towards the top of my list... Not circles per se, but the morons who become so utterly flabbergasted at the site of one. We still have a number of them in South Jersey and it's almost always someone from Delaware or Pennsylvania who mucks up the works. It's really not all that hard of a concept, especially since there are yield signs on every road entering the circle... If you're in the circle, you have the right of way, period... NO STOPPING IN THE CIRCLE FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER. If there's no one in the circle, he who gets there first enters first... There's NO NEED to ever stop at a yield when there's nothing to yield to. Again... It's mostly out-of-staters. I can understand if someone from Colorado is in the area and encountering one for the first time, but like I said... It's almost always someone from Delaware or PA who is driving down to the shore whom I'm certain has been through the area several times a year, every year, for the past umpteen years.

Others include the left-lane slowpokes who rediscover the accelerator only after you change lanes to pass them. Truck drivers who drive in the left lane of a two-lane freeway which clearly marked "Trucks/Buses Keep Right." Police officers who drive/pass on the shoulder when there's little congestion or with no lights on and worst of all... Police officers that tailgate me and will neither pass me, nor turn their lights on either.

CadillacCastle
04-23-09, 05:54 AM
We had all of the idiot drivers from the Houston/Galveston area all come up in 2 days before Hurricane Katrina hit Galveston a few years ago, it was a circus/idiot convention. It was right after the Louisiana hurricane broke the old seawall dam that was not built right when it was built and flooded. It doesn't make sense to build a city like Louisiana below sea level, but you know those cajuns, they spend millions on Mardi Gras and floats first. I never in my life thought all the Houston idiot drivers would come to our peaceful city to act like they did. There was a steady stream coming up I45 and US287 nonstop for 2 days bumper to bumper. None of them thought about leaving a week ahead when they were warned about the hurricane. Little rice cars were zigzagging in and out of traffic, I saw one ricer driver with a mohawk haircut. LOL Some trucks were pulling their vintage cars on trailers. Some people never left to go back home they liked it so much. We were really happy to see the ones leaving our town when it was over. The motels were all full. They were causing trouble getting gas, no fore thought, got to leave at the last minute. Some criminal idiots from Louisiana went to Dallas and got free places to stay and free food then raped and killed people there. Some stayed in Louisiana, they did not listen to the warnings then they stood on roof tops and whined because their children were hungry. They were allowed the stay in the Louisiaana dome shelter free, then raped children and murdered others. They did not use the toilets and did it next to their own people and looted stores taking big screen tvs. oops I think I got off topic. But that is what it led to. A nursing home left all the old people to drown sitting in wheel chairs and no oxygen, but the owners wife and husband went to safety. They told no one about the people in their nursing home, they all died.

kckranz
04-23-09, 09:08 AM
(Random Order)

1. Over-politeness - if you have the right-of-way, take it. Don't wave others through when it's your turn - this just makes things too confusing (4-ways).

2. Overexpectation of driving courtesy - just because you didn't plan ahead don't give me a dirty look when I don't let you in.

3. "Road Alligators" - The tire debris / fragments from tractor-trailers that remain on the highway.

4. Pulling out in front of me when there is absolutely no one behind me. Please just wait two more seconds and pull out after I've gone by. :rant2:

5. People who scoot around you when merging, therefore leaving you to merge from the shoulder - This was a problem with my four-banger S-10 pickup - now that I have the Seville STS this does not happen anymore.:rolleyes:

6. Motorcyclists with death wishes - riding my bumper, sometimes I want to slam on the brakes, therefore plunging the guy into my back seat where I can conveniently give him five across the face. :want:

7. Getting behind ANY diesel-powered vehicle - that smell just makes me sick.

8. People who brake going up hill. :thepan:

9. As others have mentioned, the key to a successful on-ramp merge is the gas pedal, not the brake pedal. :thumbsup:

CadillacCastle
04-24-09, 04:59 AM
drivers that pass the car ahead of them that's going the speed limit, then they slow down to 1 mph less than I am driving making me tailgate them. I call them Pace cars drivers, they want to control the speed of drivers behind them. When I drove a 1993 Ford Ranger, one time I passed a Pace car so close both side cars mirrors slightly bumped each car mirror.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
04-24-09, 10:11 PM
2. Overexpectation of driving courtesy - just because you didn't plan ahead don't give me a dirty look when I don't let you in.

4. Pulling out in front of me when there is absolutely no one behind me. Please just wait two more seconds and pull out after I've gone by. :rant2:

8. People who brake going up hill. :thepan:

2: This is extremely fun to do while pulling a trailer and using the CB radio to communicate with the truckers and gang up on people.

4: That pisses me off to no end. I am glad my car has a loud horn.

8: I HATE people who brake going down a hill when it is not necessary. If you have gained speed to a level that is no longer safe, fine, its okay to hit the brakes. If you have gained 5mph and are now going exactly that amount above the speed limit, la de f***ing da, just coast back down to the speed limit. I am coasting behind you in a car that will demolish you and I have much more momentum, don't be an ass and make me hit the brakes.

93DevilleUSMC
04-27-09, 11:48 PM
1.) Idiots who pull out in front of you at close range when you are at highway speeds. This happened to me on Sunday when someone pulled out 25 feet in front of me as I was doing 50. YOU IDIOT, YOU CAN WAIT FIVE SECONDS TO GO! YOUR NISSAN DOES NOT HAVE ENOUGH TORQUE TO PULL PAST ME IN TIME! I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO POUND MY BRAKES AND SWERVE TO AVOID PLOWING YOU AND REMOVING YOU FROM THE GENE POOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!