: Have a Northstar engine, what should I do with it?

davz
12-09-08, 08:04 PM
I have a "spare" Northstar engine out of my 97 STS. I installed the norm's inserts and got it all back together and it still overheated. Some of you may have seen my thread. I got sick of it and bought a used engine from 97Eldo, put it in and it works.

Well, I later got the heads checked, and they were warped. They milled them to the minimum height, and they cleaned up good.
Now I have a shortblock with the Norm's inserts and I'm not sure what to do with the combo.
Should I rebuild the shortblock and sell it as a good engine? I think it was the heads as my overheating culprit, but I don't know for sure.

What should I do with this thing?

Destroyer
12-09-08, 08:10 PM
I have a "spare" Northstar engine out of my 97 STS. I installed the norm's inserts and got it all back together and it still overheated. Some of you may have seen my thread. I got sick of it and bought a used engine from 97Eldo, put it in and it works.

Well, I later got the heads checked, and they were warped. They milled them to the minimum height, and they cleaned up good.
Now I have a shortblock with the Norm's inserts and I'm not sure what to do with the combo.
Should I rebuild the shortblock and sell it as a good engine? I think it was the heads as my overheating culprit, but I don't know for sure.

What should I do with this thing?Whats the scrap value on aluminum these days?

Ranger
12-09-08, 08:16 PM
If the heads where the problem and that has been corrected, put it back together and sell it.

Submariner409
12-09-08, 09:03 PM
Truck it to Kent Island. We'll fill it with melted wheel weights and lead plumbing pipe, shackle a chain and pennant float to it, and use it for a mud mooring in a creek.

(That's a flip answer......IF the lower end is OK with no halfcase or pan leaks, then look carefully at the cylinder condition from top to bottom in each.....AOK? Rebuild a set of eBay heads and check the cams. Practice with your Dremel tool - polish, not cut - all ports for smooth finish. Get a set of N8X's studs and do the do. It won't be cheap.....the cams and followers alone are over $700.)

Destroyer
12-09-08, 09:59 PM
Just toss it and call it a lesson learned. Any buyer you try to sell it to probably won't believe that it's any good anyway.

davz
12-10-08, 07:01 AM
Just toss it and call it a lesson learned. Any buyer you try to sell it to probably won't believe that it's any good anyway.

I am leaning toward this.
I will probably ebay the heads. I got a reciept from the machine shop that verifies that they are good. Maybe Ill use the short block for winter weight in my pickup.

JacksonvilleDeville
12-11-08, 05:36 PM
build a off road buggy, take it to the beach rockin Northstar.

misfit6794
12-11-08, 05:52 PM
Buy a piece of glass, put it on top of the block, and use it as a table. The rest of the motor can be made into paperweights or other auto art work, like a crankshaft lamp, probably the best use for a northstar.

Destroyer
12-11-08, 09:26 PM
Buy a piece of glass, put it on top of the block, and use it as a table. The rest of the motor can be made into paperweights or other auto art work, like a crankshaft lamp, probably the best use for a northstar.LOL :highfive:

97EldoCoupe
12-11-08, 10:40 PM
Actually I've been meaning to make a crankshaft lamp- I've got a worn crank that just needs a lightbulb on top. Would make a great focal point for my office....

97EldoCoupe
12-11-08, 10:45 PM
Hey Davz, next time you're near Sarnia or Windsor/Detroit, I'll schedule a time to pick that engine up if you'll let it go for $100 (the shortblock I mean). I doubt I'd ever trust using the block because of the luck you've had with it but some of the internal parts may be of use to me.

davz
12-12-08, 08:42 AM
If I'm ever that way, I'll give you a call.

I was thinking it might be fun to build the motor. I could probably get the block checked for cracks, get it redecked, and put slightly shorter rods in it. The only problem is with that is, I would probably have at least 1200 bucks into it by the time it was put back together, and for what?