: Heater/AC Question

tgeorge34
12-08-08, 06:36 PM
When I turn the heat or the AC on in my 03 escalade you can hear the motor for it turn on. But it only turns on for about 15 seconds and then turns back off. The heat coming out is constant, no temperature drops in the air coming out. It will then come back on and do this repeatedly. Is this normal for it to turn on and off continously???

tgeorge34
12-11-08, 11:48 PM
I know this might sound like a stupid question.....but I think most of you can help me out if you turn your AC or heat on(which I think is everyone). Your guy's help can save me money by not bringing it in to the shop to see if a fan is bad or something. So does your fan in the engine compartment turn on and off repeatedly or just stay on???

tgeorge34
12-13-08, 04:58 PM
Anybody want to help me out????

obxdiver
12-13-08, 06:02 PM
I will try this tomorrow for you. Its 35 degrees here so I think the AC wont work, although, I have the snow flake symbol on my HVAC control panel. I will run the temp setting at 80 in AUTO mode and watch the e-fans under the hood. Is this what u mean?
And you want to know if the e-fans under the hood stay on for 15 seconds or stay on longer? Is that right?
I have an 05 Lade. Would it be the same as yours?

tgeorge34
12-14-08, 01:29 AM
Yes, I am talking about the e-fans. I would expect them to run continously if I have the heat on because it is constantly heating the interior of the car. My assumption is that something would be wrong with the fan if it turns on and off repeatedly.
I am not really concerned so much about how long it stays on, but more so wanting to know if they are supposed to go on and off like that. Yes, I have an 03 so I believe it should be the same as yours.
Thanks for the help!

obxdiver
12-14-08, 11:59 AM
Yes, I am talking about the e-fans. I would expect them to run continously if I have the heat on because it is constantly heating the interior of the car. My assumption is that something would be wrong with the fan if it turns on and off repeatedly.
I am not really concerned so much about how long it stays on, but more so wanting to know if they are supposed to go on and off like that. Yes, I have an 03 so I believe it should be the same as yours.
Thanks for the help!

OK I made a test for you on my 05 ESV
I set all 3 climate zones to 90 degrees after the vehicle had been running idle for about 15 minutes.
The vehicle got very hot inside.
I watched the e-fans behind the radiator.
These fans cycled on/off about once per minute.
The fans did not run continuously.
I timed it and it seems to go off for 1 minute, and back on for 1 minute, and kept cycling like that.
Outside temperature is 45 degrees.

Maybe what you are seeing is normal.
I hope this helps you.
Steve

tgeorge34
12-15-08, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the help. I feel much better knowing that this is normal and I don't have another problem on my hands. Thanks again!!!