: Need some advice!!

sillyboi
12-08-08, 04:20 PM
Hello there fellow members.. I'm new here to the forum and have some concerns about my 2005 escalade AWD

#1.
I'm having alignment problems, first off, the car pulls to the right when the steering wheel is centered. At high or low speeds, the steering wheel have to be held slightly to the left in order for the car to drive straight. So one day, I took the car to pepboys to have them do an alignment. I told them the issues I was having. After the alignment job, the issue remains.

My tires are not at its best shape about 40-50% thread left. All 4 are the same brand, size and thread left.

#2.
When the car is not fully warmed up, I hear this grinding/shuttering noise near the exhaust area every time I step on the gas. Once the car is at a good temperature, the noise disappears. I asked a buddy of mine that works for GMC, he said its the exhaust hangers, they are touching something. I inspected that area and do not see the hangers contacting anything.

I need your advice on what I should do, check?

Thanks in advance..

g9s8r
12-08-08, 05:29 PM
Mine does the same thing with the alignment. However, I haven't tried to get it aligned yet. I tweak it myself but, within a few days or so the problem comes back. I think it has something to do with the AWD. I myself am not looking for a perfect alignment but, something close and consistent is expected.

93si
12-09-08, 11:29 AM
Hey i have an 02 Ext that does the same thing pulls to the right ever so slightly. Never had a chance to check it out yet.

sillyboi
12-09-08, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the feedback.. Any of you know any good alignment shops beside the dealer, which they quoted me $150.

dstinson
12-11-08, 10:46 PM
The exhaust is prob due to the heat shield, drop the exhaust and cut it off and you will be fine. You can reference GM bulletin 03-06-05-00BD for more info, next go to an alignment shop and tell them to do it right.

shore
12-12-08, 09:56 AM
My 05 with stock wheels/tires in new shape pulled to the right a little bit.Enough to hold the wheel to the left.Let go of the wheel and it would just drift right.I put a used set of 22's w/305's on it and it was straight for the week they where on there.I bought a brand new set of 22's w/new tires and the pull returned to the right.

I haven't had an alignment done yet as I am not sure that is the fix...I will however begin to play with psi in the front right tire.I will try 4psi higher and see if that compensates.if it does then time for an alignment.If not then on to the ext issue.

sillyboi
12-12-08, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the feedbacks. I'm picking up another set of 17" escalade wheels with decent tires and head to Bear frames and wheel for Alignment. I been seeing alot of good feedbacks from this place. So I'll give them a shot.

sillyboi
12-13-08, 03:33 PM
Okay, here's some updates about the drifting problem. It turned out to be my front tires, the other set of rims helped alot. Took the car into Bear frame and wheels, did an alignment and check the balancing of the tires. Now the car drives straight and I;m happy. Feels like a new car again. But as for the muffler rattling noise, I havent got the chance to go under there and see what's the problem.

Rolex
12-13-08, 05:48 PM
I didn't see this thread earlier, but I would have for sure suggested bad tires. I had an alignment for pulling to the right in my 03 that didn't help a damn thing. When I rotated the tires the problem was gone. Bad tires on the front.

The rattle you're hearing doesn't sound consistent with the heat shield. My 03 had the exhaust rattle whether it was cold, hot, whatever. It never went away. There is a service bulletin about the heat shield rattle though. IIRC the heat shield will pop a rivet and there's an annoying rattle as a result. I eventually had the entire $900 factory exhaust replaced under warranty. That solved the problem. I'm not sure I'd advise removing the heat shield all together.