: new DTS. wide open throttle?

Maunus
12-08-08, 08:12 AM
Hi everyone!

just got a new 2008 DTS. I read that I am supposed to do wide open throttle once in a while. i

is that true?

how exactly do I do it?

4000 miles, changed oil at 500, 2000 and 4000 miles with mobil one

thanks

bob

Submariner409
12-08-08, 08:34 AM
Your 4,000 mile mark oil change is good to at least 10,000 miles, especially using Mobil 1. Northstar is a clean engine......take a strong flashlight and look down in the oil fill neck.....if the 2008 fill is still on the front of the cam cover you'll be able to see way down in the chaincase. Squeaky clean, isn't it ? Follow your oil life monitor in the DIC, and, if you get antsy, change oil/filter every 6,500-7,500 miles. Oil goes a lot farther under highway conditions than in stop-and-go city driving.

If you want to WOT, find a mile of smooth straight road. Put the stick in 2 and leave it there. From a slow rolling start try to put your foot through the firewall. The car will start in 1, shift to 2 at redline, and continue toward redline. Just below the second gear redline flip your foot off the gas and let the engine pull the car down, it will downshift to 1 and continue to engine brake to idle. Black or gray smoke the first time ?? Do it again. (If you miss the 2nd gear redline, don't worry: the transmission will upshift to 3......it will not let you break anything.) The reason for leaving the stick in 2 is to force the engine to brake the car from high RPM. The process first loads the cylinder pressures to maximum during acceleration, then unloads the cylinders and piston rings during deceleration, causing the rings to rotate in the piston gaps, shedding carbon and dirt. If your management system is like the 2002, the car will go to redline in gears, and fuel cutoff at the speed limiter (tire speed) setting. It will only rev to 4,000 in N or P.

codewize
12-08-08, 09:04 AM
If you just drive the car like she was meant to be driven WOT isn't an issue. You really only need to do that if you baby the car for 6 months and never take it over 3k.

Live life in the passing lane and she'll be fine for many years to come.

Maunus
12-08-08, 10:37 AM
thanks guys! especially submariner!! just the info that I wanted!!!! a very nice technical discussion about rings. I never knew any of that. thanks also for oil changes info.

what a nice little motor it is!!

20mpg city, 25 highway.

bob

Submariner409
12-08-08, 12:51 PM
Your DTS mileage is typical.......I get a tad less (18/24.5), but we are running 3.71 final drive......your RPM should be right around 2000+ at 60 or so.

Maunus
12-08-08, 03:03 PM
Hi everyone!

is there any reasonable way to increase power in my new DTS 2008 northstar?

intakes?

chips??

exhaust?

supercharger?

any ideas?

thanks to all, esp. submariner.

bob

Submariner409
12-08-08, 04:42 PM
In a nutshell: No.

Long answer:

You already have a perfectly adequate cold air intake with no bragging rights (no chrome, which is good for at least 35 HP at idle). For the least restriction, change to a WIX air filter and stay away from K&N.

No chips. (Maybe someone finally makes a handheld for the later PCM systems. 98-04 Northstars are SOL.)

Maybe a CORSA (www.corsaperformance.com (http://www.corsaperformance.com)) but I don't think so.

No way on earth to get one in there. (There IS a one-of-a-kind turbo Seville STS. Not a daily driver, custom, $15,000+.)

Ideas: Keep it clean and use it to tow the 1966 454 Chevelle to the track.

:sneaky:

codewize
12-08-08, 10:44 PM
You bought the wrong car if your looking for mods.

The Corsa is cool. I'm not sure if you gain anything from it but it sounds very sweet.

Everything else is a waste of time even considering.

Hi everyone!

intakes?

chips??

exhaust?

supercharger?

any ideas?

bob

Ranger is very handy like that. He's one of the good guys :)

thanks guys! especially submariner!! just the info that I wanted!!!! a very nice technical discussion about rings. I never knew any of that. thanks also for oil changes info.

what a nice little motor it is!!

20mpg city, 25 highway.

bob

Maunus
12-09-08, 08:37 AM
thanks guys! esp. submariner again!!!

perhaps my best bet for next car (will replace wife's lexus) is a used CTSV????

how much horsepower does IT make? which years would I buy?

thanks again. did a wide open throttle yesterday. that is one fast little motor.

best,

bob

Submariner409
12-09-08, 09:24 AM
:alchi:If you're looking for a CTS-V, snoop around up there ^^^ for the newer Cadillac models.

:rolleyes: Please understand, though, that while we down here in the vintage forums are calm, cool, reserved, and well educated, some of the loonies up in CTS can be a little warped in their thinking and modification preferences......:bonkers:

(A good used CTS-V will eat your Deville alive. Your wife will have so much fun driving you'll probably never see her again.)

codewize
12-09-08, 08:59 PM
I'm not sure which year CTSv are subject to the problem but a few years had issues with the rear end, I think maybe seals or something. Do some homework and make sure the year your looking at is post problematic or that the issue has been addressed.

Blown & Injected
12-10-08, 03:52 AM
????? Nothing wrong with K&N filters ?????

It is not all the time but a dry nitrous system will add a nice punch and as long as there is nothing wrong with the sensors and fuel system, it will not hurt the engine.

Can't believe there are no supercharger kits but I have not looked - I am new to the Cadillac thing.

This thread reminds me to post a comment in the "Open Letter" thread...GM had No Cadillacs at the SEMA Show :(

But back to the OP:

WOT is just Wide Open Throttle - punching it. It should be done all the time - I find myself doing it even at my desk where there is no throttle :)

Submariner409
12-10-08, 09:31 AM
B&I, Do some searching and homework on Northstar FWD installations, modifications, WOT rationale and procedure, air filters...........read everything in the Cadillac Technical Archive at the top of the page, in the black field. Spend a weekend reading the entire Northstar performance Forum from Day 1. Most of the advice you see in here comes from long experience and hard knocks with the drivetrains in question. Many people have tried to supplement their daily drivers with significant modifications and power gain attempts. No one has succeeded as of now.

(The Northstar WOT is not and was not intended as a go-fast procedure. It accomplishes a far different purpose than 0-60.)

There are several nitrous installs running, both wet and dry, (none are perfected, and it has been at least 18 months for one.....) and one STS turbocharger install, but that was dedicated, custom, labor intensive, hideously expensive work.

There are no supercharger/turbocharger kits for FWD Northstars.

Highlinecady and HITMONEY had/have two of the most beautiful, reliable modded Devilles, but that was always a work in progress, and Highline's Deville is a test mule to this day.

Blown & Injected
12-10-08, 04:39 PM
Hey Man - I was up to 4 AM trying to catch up!!! :)

I also have trouble believing K&N problems because I have used them for over 20 years. On one car I have had a K&N clamped directly to the MAF for over 15 years on the same MAF and put a 1/4 million miles on that same filter and MAF.

When the wife is ready for something newer, and the warrantee is done, you will see somebody mod a DTS :).

Now I shall search for some details on those people you mentioned - interested in any thing performance for the Cadillac

AJxtcman
12-10-08, 11:09 PM
Hi everyone!

intakes?

chips??

exhaust?

supercharger?

any ideas?

bob

In a nutshell: No.

Long answer:

You already have a perfectly adequate cold air intake with no bragging rights (no chrome, which is good for at least 35 HP at idle). For the least restriction, change to a WIX air filter and stay away from K&N.

No chips. (Maybe someone finally makes a handheld for the later PCM systems. 98-04 Northstars are SOL.)

Maybe a CORSA (www.corsaperformance.com (http://www.corsaperformance.com)) but I don't think so.

No way on earth to get one in there. (There IS a one-of-a-kind turbo Seville STS. Not a daily driver, custom, $15,000+.)

Ideas: Keep it clean and use it to tow the 1966 454 Chevelle to the track.

:sneaky:

First of all this car does not have a THROTTLE CABLE!
You have ver little control on what angle the Throttle is at.
You may give it 1/4 throttle at a stop and the Throttle may go to 100%. On the other side you can give it 100% and the Throttle blade maybe 35%.

NEXT :rant2:

I can tune this 100% :stirpot:

Open your eyes guy's!
click on the links below.

HP Tuners Supported Vehicles (http://www.hptuners.com/products/vcmsuite_vehicles.php)
GM V8 Gen IV Cars
06-07 Cadillac CTS-V 6.0
06-08 Cadillac STS 4.4, 4.6 (4.6 in 07+ only)
06-08 Cadillac XLR 4.4, 4.6 (4.6 in 07+ only)
06-07 Cadillac DTS 4.6

EFILive Supported Vehicles (http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=100&Itemid=82)
Gen IV V8, V6, L4 E67 ECM - Stream S-E67
06-07 Cadillac CTS-V 6.0L
06-09 Cadillac DTS 4.6L
06-09 Cadillac STS 4.4L, 4.6L
06-09 Cadillac XLR 4.4L, 4.6L

Wester's Garage Supported Vehicles (http://westers_garage.eidnet.org/GM.htm#CADILLAC)
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd25/AJxtcman/PCM%20Stuff/list1.jpg

I have software from all 3 companies.
If I keep feeding EFILive information that will put out software for 2000 to 2003 shortly :thumbsup:
I am holding back until ????? I guess I feel like giving out my secrets.

read this.
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=9569

GMPX is an Admin
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=7689

Submariner409
12-11-08, 09:22 AM
AJ, Get out of your rant, finish your second coffee, and read my post again. The fact that the OP can tune his 2008 with a handheld is great, but you'll notice I qualified my "no chips" answer with sort of like "nothing for 98-04. Maybe someone has..........". WOT is WOT.....drive by wire notwithstanding. You call for maximum power and the car supplies it under the existing conditions. You call for no power and the car slows down.....yes, fuel and throttle are electronically controlled to meet emissions targets, but your statement about being essentially unable to control throttle butterfly opening is patently false. Now tell me who makes a chip (which goes IN the PCM) or who is selling completely reprogrammed 2008 PCM's. Programmers are one thing, chips and PCM's are another. The first EFILIVE forum is cute, but has about as much useful information as an empty McDonald's hamburger wrapper. The second forum is better (now I know your other login name ............:rolleyes:) and actually talks about several different N* year groups for PCM changes. Looks like we'll eventually get to buy an off-the-shelf 00-04 Siemens PCM with no limiter and a worthwhile mid-high rpm power tune.

AJxtcman
12-11-08, 12:13 PM
Well
You can replace the CHIP! ask N0DIH. He removed his Chip and is running it off board, but N0DIH is a Hardware guy. That make it easy for him to swap out chips.

Sorry for the rant

one last thing I don't think anyone has a hand held programmer they are full PCM tunes.

Speed limiter stuff has been out for awhile that is why I posted the Hex information on it.