: 01 dhs over heating HELP!! PLEASE

star light 01
12-07-08, 02:55 AM
i just bought a new 01 dhs looks and drive great 95% of the time but it over heats some times... but not always some times it starts to over heat the it will cool its self down, has coolant and oil no codes where do i start please help i cant afford to let cadillac rack up a high bill, ill turn the wrenches my self just need some guidance from some of u caddy gurus, i hear these north stars r something else

Aron9000
12-07-08, 02:59 AM
Blown head gasket. Might be a water pump or a stuck thermostat if you are lucky. Seems like every headgasket problem I read about starts off with the car overheating occasionally. Northstar motors are junk, sorry you didn't realize this before you bought it.

star light 01
12-07-08, 03:08 AM
how much is somethig like that, how hard of a job is that i can turn wrenches but not a mechanic, looking at the motor looks like hell in a hand bag

Aron9000
12-07-08, 03:12 AM
how much is somethig like that, how hard of a job is that i can turn wrenches but not a mechanic, looking at the motor looks like hell in a hand bag

About $3500 from what I've read. They have to unbolt the front cradle and remove the motor from the car to do it. Basically that means they put the car on a lift, unbolt the front suspension, and raise the body. The front suspension, motor, trans, brakes, wheels, etc all come out as one unit.

star light 01
12-07-08, 03:17 AM
well thats not 4 me... ill have to find a good cheap shop, ill try the cheap stuff first..."(

97EldoCoupe
12-07-08, 05:26 AM
Hey Starlight, where are you located? Diagnose it yourself, and if it needs the HGs replaced, the rest of your cooling system is probably still ok. Be careful about finding a cheap shop.... just make sure they've worked on a Northstar before, and get proof that they have. Otherwise they may be in over their heads and it'll cost you.

Ranger
12-07-08, 11:55 AM
Don't jump to conclusions yet. The 2000+ Northstars are not as likely as the previous to have the HG's go bad (though not unheard of). Check the stat, cap, tensioner and purge line. If all are OK, then do the coolant test to see if there are any exhaust gasses in there.

star light 01
12-07-08, 11:17 PM
well i talked to the guy i bought the car from... this is what he said (he replaced the stat and hose and burped it so i no those r good, as for the head gaskets not sure (he thought so also but the shop he took it to said they were fine) the car runs great and dosent smoke or lose water out the tail pipes... all signs of bad h/gs (so im going to try sensers and water pump... those arent to high in cost... parts store said sensers through codes any more input would be great

Ranger
12-07-08, 11:41 PM
Don't waste your money on a water pump. If it is not leaking, it is dong it's job.

No need to "burp" it. It is self "burping". That's why I told you to check the purge line. If it is clogged, it will overheat. If it flows coolant, don't take anyones word, especially the sellers. Have the coolant tested before you start throwing parts and money at it.

star light 01
12-08-08, 12:31 AM
how do i purge it??? and where is it located??? what do u mean test coolent??? :confused:

Destroyer
12-08-08, 12:43 AM
If it looks like sh*t, smells like sh*t, chances are it is sh*t. You got screwed bro.

dkozloski
12-08-08, 01:08 AM
If it looks like sh*t, smells like sh*t, chances are it is sh*t. You got screwed bro.
Don't pay any attention to Destroyer. He destroyed his own credibility the other day.

Destroyer
12-08-08, 08:35 AM
Don't pay any attention to Destroyer. He destroyed his own credibility the other day.Its a daily ritual. Whats the point?:confused:

Ranger
12-08-08, 06:42 PM
how do i purge it??? and where is it located??? what do u mean test coolent??? :confused:

The system is self purging. Pull the 3/8" line at the top side of the surge tank while idling (cold). If it flows coolant (it should), quickly put it back.

Have the coolant tested for the presence of exhaust gases or get the kit from Napa and do it yourself. If it tests positive, the head gaskets are bad.

star light 01
12-08-08, 09:07 PM
thats what i wanted to know... thanks alot everyone ill keep u posted

[NortHStaR]
12-08-08, 11:01 PM
The head gasket job on the Northstars arent "difficult" but very very time consuming, I'm 16 years old only wrenched on old v-dubs, some camaros and sadly some imports :rant2:.

Needless to say I'm not in anyway seasoned but I am about 3/4 of the way to completion on my own HG job.

Sure will be nice to have the caddy back on the road! :cool2:

davz
12-09-08, 09:34 AM
Buy a "combustion gas tester for cooling sytems" it's the kit with the blue liquid. Make sure the tank is low enough so no coolant gets in the tester. It's a 40 dollar kit. It's not even worth doing the water pump unless you know if the HG are good or not.

Make sure the purge lin is not plugged.

I went through exactly what you are going through now, and it was the headgaskets. Let me guess, it only heats up when you floor it and the cooling sytem will cool it down. You can idle it all day and it doesn't overheat. Do the test. it's easy. My blue liquid turned yellow without a doubt.

If you don't want to do it yourself, have a shop do this. Depending on the shop, they may not have any "northstar experts", so you may have to explain what you want them to do. The colling system gas test is pretty definative.

star light 01
12-20-08, 09:41 PM
well bad news came in (head gaskets r gone...) along with pan gasket... it seems to be par for the 4.6 star, i've been doing some home work on here and i see people pull, or drop the motor but now i see rocking it (please explain that) im not sure the of the amount of damage until i get it taken apart,.... if nothing is warpped whats a good up grade 4 the hg probles...
along w/ oil pan, i plan to have the car 4 a while if i can afford to get it back on the road, can some one elaborate on time serts, if i cant tackle this im lookin for great afordable shops in dfw tx area thanks for all ur help

Ranger
12-20-08, 10:33 PM
Nothing is likely warped. Timeserts http://www.timesert.com are threaded inserts. Don't even think about Helicoils. Might want to check out. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/153232-northstar-repair-without-inserts.html

[NortHStaR]
12-21-08, 01:39 AM
Sorry about the harsh news :banghead:

As for an 'upgrade' I decided on the NX8 Stud Kit, I got the kit yesterday and let me tell you these studs are of the utmost quality and unlike timeserts it is a "all in one" repair meaning one peice.

And the guy who distributes them, 97eldo, is VERY helpful and alwayse got back on my emails the same day.

Head over to his website, northstarperformance.com for more info.

Keep us updated!

star light 01
01-12-09, 07:54 PM
well i bought a new long block and might part w/ the old one, was wondering what it might be worth, some info on it... leaky oil pan (i have the new gasket it will be included) and blown head gaskets the buy is from pan to valve covers as is w/ 120k the motor ran great when it wasn't getting hot its the y motor (275) 100% stock

if not intrested just tell me what its worth

mtflight
01-16-09, 05:04 PM
well i bought a new long block and might part w/ the old one, was wondering what it might be worth, some info on it... leaky oil pan (i have the new gasket it will be included) and blown head gaskets the buy is from pan to valve covers as is w/ 120k the motor ran great when it wasn't getting hot its the y motor (275) 100% stock

if not intrested just tell me what its worth

you bought a NEW long block? I would've gotten either the kit from 97eldocoupe, or purchased the engine from him and had it shipped. He's basically performing miracles for very very very reasonable cost, from what I've read. I'm also in DFW btw.

mtflight
01-16-09, 05:10 PM
Does anyone know if the newly available crate long blocks from GM, have the revised alloy and longer headbolts with coarser tread pitch? If not, they'll still go for 10 years or so, so don't worry.

star light 01
01-17-09, 04:24 PM
havent had any bites on the motor i might buy the kit and keep it as a spare or use it in a project along way maybe in a vw or something

star light 01
01-19-09, 09:58 PM
should of rebuilt mine new block has a crack i hope my warranty takes care of me