: Curse stop leak and fast talking sales men!!

[NortHStaR]
12-06-08, 01:19 PM
So i pulled the heads on my 99 DeVille last night and there was stop leak caked all over the gaskets and in the cylinders! damn sales person sold me a undisclosed HG problem :bighead:.

But on the bright side in true Northstar fasion the cylinder walls and the rest of the motor looks like it just rolled off the line :thumbsup:.

Cant wait to get her back on the road so i can go back to that salesman and unload a little frustration! :thepan:

RippyPartsDept
12-06-08, 01:27 PM
use the gm brand coolant supplements #3634621 when you get it put back together just for safe measure... we use Bars Leak if we run out of the 3634621 but ideally you would use the GM supplements.

good luck with that and curse all shady sales-people!

97EldoCoupe
12-06-08, 01:28 PM
Very good- nice to hear about another clean Northstar! A word of advice for your Caddy- stick to 3k oil change intervals, the owner's I've spoken to who've gone by the oil life indicator, have more sludge in their engines than the ones who've changed the oil every 3k miles. Sounds like you have one that's been very well maintained! :thumbsup:

97EldoCoupe
12-06-08, 01:32 PM
And yeah there are lots of salesman who try to cover up bad HGs with stop leak. It's immoral and stupid. It wouldn't be that hard for them to find someone who's willing to do the HG's at a discounted price for them. Then they could sell a car that's just had the HG's done! They'd be worth more, and people who are aware of the N* HG problem would be relieved to find one they know they can trust.

There are some very honest used car salesmen out there- you just have to find them. My sister bought a '93 Ford Taurus as her first car (yes a POS) about 7 years ago, but the salesman told us the HGs were bad right away. 3.8s have that problem as bad or worse than N*s. I'd say worse. She got the car $1500 cheaper because of this. Guess who got elected to do the HGs.....(personally I'd rather do a N*). Now she drives a '98 Regal GS...Yes the supercharged one- bit of a step up from the Taurus.

stoveguyy
12-07-08, 09:59 PM
the shady dealer takes the car in on trade for low$$ with bad HG's and sells it to the next guy for high$$ without fixing it. its all about money. or someone traded it in and the dealer let it slide by since he was going to wholesale it anyway.

97EldoCoupe
12-08-08, 05:00 AM
Yeah to some of them it's all about money. But they'll get a lot of enemies doing business that way, and that's not healthy for a person's well-being. I wonder how some of those salesmen can sleep at night?