: How long will the suede last?

randian
12-05-08, 06:15 PM
My experience with suede and suede-like materials is that they scuff easily and will look like $#*& in only a couple of years. That's why auto manufacturers gave up on the stuff. Have modern materials improved that much? If I get the Recaros and the suede wheel would my CTS-V's interior look like a cheap beater 2-3 years from now?

NormV
12-05-08, 06:24 PM
It's probably the fake stuff. And will outlast non-spec leather used by GM cars in the past.

http://www.alcantara.com/en/experience/faq/faqs.shtml

Norm

CopperSunburstCTS
12-05-08, 08:47 PM
I had real suede in my 1984 Riviera T-Type, probably the first modern car (and probably last for good reason). Wheni got the car it had 36k miles. The driver side was already worn down almost off in some places. It looked OK becasue it was a beatiful right 2 tone dark Brown leather with medium brown pigskin suede, so it looked at last natural and real and worr off to another shade of brown.

I guess GM learned their lesson (at the customer's expense of course), because then the 1991 Olds Torronado Trofeo offered what they called "Ultrasuede", a SYNTHETIC suede material probably like Alcantra or even exactly the same thing only marketed under a sexier more natural name. Leather was actually standard in the Trofeo (an unbelievably advanced and well equipped car for its time, complete with optional color true CRT touch screen available as early as 1989!). So becasue leather was standard, the Ultrasuede was extremely rare, no one ever chose it over real leather. I have only seen 2 or 3 ever out of hundreds I inquired or looked at! But the ones i have seen, one after the car was 10 years old, the artifical Ultrasuede was in amazing condition! So I have full faith in the artificial suede Cadillac and other mfrs are using.

I'm not getting the sueded sterring wheel, but its because i dont want that super grippy feel, i want the wheel to slip a little as I will be using the V as a daily driver and I like the feel of leather better, its not because I am scared of the durability.

LITTLEELVISDAN
12-05-08, 08:52 PM
50k on my STS-V with red suede inserts in the seats and absolutely no wear is showing. I thought the red would start to blacken then the fuzz start to come off. But 2 years and 50k miles and nothing. It still looks new.

Oh yeah!! I have 2 kids, 8 and 11, (boys) that ride in the back every day. rear seat red suede still looks new...