: Battery dead or something else?

jcmendo01
12-05-08, 05:27 PM
Last night I wasn't able to start my truck without jump starting it. It took a couple tries, but it started. Then as I was driving, I noticed at a complete stop, my truck would almost die out on me. In order for me to prevent that from happening, I would have to gas the truck while pressing the brake. At, home I was testing my truck and noticed that when ever I rev my engine, the rpm would drop down pretty low, to the point where my truck starts to almost stutter. Can this be that the battery is almost completely gone, or something else like my alternator?

Thanks.

2004 Cadillac Escalade

ESCALADOR
12-05-08, 06:32 PM
sounds like an alternator to me...

Rolex
12-05-08, 07:06 PM
Sounds like the alternator. If it's dying at idle it may also check the fuel pressure. If it's idling rough it wouldn't hurt to clean the throttle body on an 04, and you may want to look and listen for any vacuum lines leaking while you're there. Let us know what you find.

g9s8r
12-06-08, 01:46 PM
Do these trucks have a voltage gauge? Dead battery could be just a coincidence. Go to your local parts store and have them run a check to see if its your alternator. If its not than I would suggest what Rolex said. Oh and in addition to what he said, check or replace your fuel filter.

jcmendo01
12-08-08, 02:59 PM
I just went to the shop, and found out that the alternator isn't charging the car battery and that my water pump is leaking my coolant (causing the water temp gauge to display a high temp reading). That's 2 problems discovered. As for the low idle and dying out at a stop, we have yet to figure out what is causing the problem. The mechanic will start by cleaning the the throttle body, and the minor maintenance before doing any major replacements. Hopefully its nothing major.

Rolex
12-08-08, 10:14 PM
I'm betting the remaining problem is either a fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, or vacuum leak. I think a clogged fuel filter would have already left you stranded. Do update us when you find out. I sincerely hope it's something minor.

stealth09
07-19-09, 02:33 PM
Any update to this, my truck does the EXACT same thing.

Recently it dies out every night, when I park the truck, and needs a boost to start in the morning.

It seems to have happened after I installed a DVD deck and accidentally cut one of the wires in my dash (heater controls). But right after that happened the only adverse effects I seen was two lights on the heater control buttons went out. And the truck operated fine for over a year without any issues. :S Maybe it is just coincidence.

jcmendo01
07-19-09, 03:31 PM
I had the exact ame problem a while back. I just had the alternator replaced and everything is fine. Also, I just changed my spark plugs just cuz it was time to replace them. Try doing that and everything should be fine. Hope this helps.

Last night I wasn't able to start my truck without jump starting it. It took a couple tries, but it started. Then as I was driving, I noticed at a complete stop, my truck would almost die out on me. In order for me to prevent that from happening, I would have to gas the truck while pressing the brake. At, home I was testing my truck and noticed that when ever I rev my engine, the rpm would drop down pretty low, to the point where my truck starts to almost stutter. Can this be that the battery is almost completely gone, or something else like my alternator?

Thanks.

2004 Cadillac Escalade

stealth09
07-19-09, 07:18 PM
I also found that if I make a sharp turn, and the power steering is working hard, the car will die.

oldworld
07-21-09, 02:49 PM
Hey Rolex:
Quick question.......regarding the air leak you mentioned above. Can that leak be detected listening under the hood? Can it be loud enough to hear while driving? Only ask because I can swear I hear a slight whistle from the engine compartment while driving.
THANKS

stealth09
07-29-09, 02:42 AM
Well I tested my alternator and it is fine.

Replaced the battery as it is junk.

I am still idling rough and dieing...

hcvone
07-29-09, 09:51 AM
If you have the stock battery, they usually don't last that long, I would replace that first

stealth09
07-30-09, 04:19 PM
Everything is resolved now!

Ended up being a bad battery. The hesitation and stalling was due to a dirty throttle body, so I cleaned it out and it runs perfect.

hcvone
07-30-09, 04:59 PM
Well that's good news and an easy fix :)