: loss of power, red hot headers? 93' Fleetwood

chrome_n_gold
12-05-08, 01:53 AM
Heres my story.. I was driving to phoenix, az from Las Vegas, nv and my 93 fleetwood was hesitating to get up the hills. i would press the gas a little bit and it seemed like it was choking. so after running for about 3 hours i get to another set of hills and it starts losing a lot of power I get down to about 40mph and i start to hear some knocking. so i pulled over immediately and opened up my hood and my headers were red hot. after letting it cool for about 30 mins and adding some coolant i give it another try and it gets me about 20 or yards of hesitation.

Ive changed out the spark plugs, wires, fuel filter, took off the cat., cleaned out the injectors, and still no difference

it runs a little rough at idle but stays running. when i take it out of park and give it some gas it chokes up and wants to die

so what can it be???? any help will be greatly appreciated

75sled
12-05-08, 12:41 PM
That almost sounds like a clogged converter to me.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-05-08, 01:05 PM
Yeah, I'd say cat converter too. It completely explains the lack of power, and I'd think that exhaust restriction is what's making the manifold get red hot.

jayoldschool
12-05-08, 01:24 PM
took off the cat

While his sypmtoms sound like a plugged cat to me, as well, that isn't possible.

The next possibility is too rich a mixture. This would cause the red manifolds (do you have headers?).

Also, check all the exhaust pipes for kinks or crushed sections. Make sure that the muffler and resonator aren't plugged.

Have you ever changed the O2 sensor?

chrome_n_gold
12-05-08, 08:18 PM
the cat converter was removed and no difference.

i was thinking that too about mix i just need to try it out.

exhaust pipes are fine no kinks or crushed sections what so ever.

and i was planning on changing it out but at autozone they said it wouldnt be that so i havent done that..yet

jayoldschool
12-05-08, 08:27 PM
Change the O2. Change the fuel filter. If you don't have a check engine light on, I would bet anything those fix it...

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
12-08-08, 10:42 AM
While his sypmtoms sound like a plugged cat to me, as well, that isn't possible.

The next possibility is too rich a mixture. This would cause the red manifolds (do you have headers?).

I thought too lean was what made heat. Rich just makes a bunch of smoke and un-burned fuel come out the back.

cadillac_al
12-08-08, 11:39 AM
My motorcycle will make the pipes glow red if I leave the choke on too long. It doesn't take long to make them glow either. I would have thought this was a catalytic problem too but I guess that's been ruled out. How's the vacuum? Low vacuum will make it run rich. It should have generated a trouble code by now.

VortecCaddy
12-09-08, 12:34 PM
Check your vacuum lines carefully. If you havent replaced them, now would be a good time.

Josephchevy5596
12-12-08, 10:47 PM
Hey i'm haveing the same problem with my 94 fleetwood so let me know what worked

chrome_n_gold
12-13-08, 04:36 AM
i changed out the o2 sensor out and it did run better but not like it should be, its still "bogging out" when i try to accelerate, but runs fine at idle still. Im going to try to change out the vacuum lines tomorrow, its been suggested before so ill try that next.

jayoldschool
12-13-08, 11:31 AM
Fuel filter!

Josephchevy5596
12-13-08, 11:37 AM
I'MA GO WITH SOME NEW O2 SENSOR I JUST DID A FUEL FILTER A FEW MONTHS BACK WHEN I DID THE FUEL PUMP. lOOKS LIKE IT'S PAST DUE FOR O2 SENSORS ANYWAY AND I'M REDO A FEW VACUUM LINE TODAY

delzy
12-13-08, 10:14 PM
I'd guess optispark or other ignition failure dropping raw fuel into the exhaust. If so, you'll need new cats after this episode. I had a similar problem when I bought a ford P71 cruiser from the city with the wrong plugs in it. Once the plugs were replaced, the car ran great, but throws a cat coded every 500 miles or so. I'm too cheap to replace the cat so I just reset the code with a cheap OBDII reader from wal-mart when it shows up.

Josephchevy5596
12-14-08, 03:57 AM
what type of plugs came in this car mine has AC in it and i think they where like 4 dollars a plug when i bought them