: How would YOU restructure GM?

tman2093
12-03-08, 08:09 PM
It seems apparent some restructuring is going to happen, IE brands will be terminated. Post what changes you think might happen, or would happen if you were running the show.

Killed Brands:
Saturn
Hummer
GMC
Pontiac

Sold Brands:
Saab

Retained Brands:
Cadillac
Chevrolet
Buick

From Saturn
Sky goes to chevrolet as a baby corvette. Chevrolet Sky
Aura is "luxurized" and sent to Buick

From Pontiac
Solstice goes to Buick, Buick Bengal
G3, G4, G5, etc gets sent to Chevrolet to fill in gaps in the lineup

From GMC
Denali trim level added to Chevrolet Trucks, Silverado Denali, Tahoe Denali, etc

From Hummer
Ruggedized Trim level added to chevrolet trucks. Silverado OffRoad or similar moniker

Saab sold off.

Chevrolet becomes the Honda-Toyota fighter, focusing on reasonably priced, stylish every-mans cars.
Buick becomes the luxury line, focusing on comfort, amenities and style
Cadillac focuses on Luxury performance, BMW, Audi fighter

LS1Mike
12-03-08, 09:28 PM
I would keep:
Chevrolet
Buick
Cadillac
GMC
Everything else goes
Cadillac dealerships would be stand alone.
None of this Chevy and Cadillac nonsense.
Should be like buying a Lexus or BMW. That is the only thing on the lot.

You sell Buick and GMC on the same lot as they are "upscale"

Chevy sells basically what they sell now and future updates.
Everything else is dead weight.

Destroyer
12-03-08, 10:10 PM
I would keep:
Chevrolet
Buick
Cadillac
GMC
Everything else goes
Cadillac dealerships would be stand alone.
None of this Chevy and Cadillac nonsense.
Should be like buying a Lexus or BMW. That is the only thing on the lot.

You sell Buick and GMC on the same lot as they are "upscale"

Chevy sells basically what they sell now and future updates.
Everything else is dead weight.I agree with all of it except I would kill Buick too. Chevrolet could drop trucks from its lineup and GMC would be the sole truck division OR GMC could get dropped and Chevrolet could stll sell trucks. No need for both brands and I personally never saw much of an "upscale" thing going on with GMC. Chevrolet could pick up more cars from the Pontiac division. The G8 would be so much cooler in Impala SS attire. Cadillac could sell former Buicks (rebadged as Cadillacs) as entry level Caddy's. Its so simple, it hurts. :thumbsup:

c5 rv
12-03-08, 10:30 PM
I basically agree with GM's restructuring plan. Buick needs better cars to replace the LaCrosse and Lucerne. Chevy needs better cars to replace the Cobalt and Impala. Cadillac needs a premium small car and great replacement for DTS/STS. GMC and Chevy trucks need a good small pickup and small commercial crossover/van.

I think the big questions are when the economy will recover and whether BPG can succeed when it does. If GM has three successful domestic brands (Chevy, Cadillac, & BPG), they can support much of their current corporate structure. If BPG doesn't succeed, GM will be forced to greatly reduce their corporate structure, if they still can. Some may think that they should take the bailout money and go right to a two brand structure now while they can afford to.

Lord Cadillac
12-04-08, 02:05 AM
Cadillac sticks around and builds premium luxury sport cars that compete with BMW, Audi, and Mercedes. Their design theme stays exactly where it is. Sell Saturn and use the money to build a proper full-size luxury sedan that competes with the BMW 750Li, Mercedes S550, Audi A8L and Hyundai Genesis (yes, I did). Leave the Escalades the way they are. People will still buy them - especially when they're becoming more rare (unattainable). Keep the CTS moving in to STS territory and bring a new entry-level sedan into the picture.

Buick sticks around and builds premium luxury cars with no sporting aspiration - competes with Lexus. Their design theme gets more classy with big grilles and chrome (traditional American luxury). All they need is a Lexus ES, GS and LS. They already have an RX and Buick doesn't need a full-size luxury SUV.

Chevy sticks around and builds economical cars that compete with Honda, Toyota and Nissan. Their design theme stays exactly where it is. Anything "small" would compete with cars like the Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit and Nissan Versa. Mid-size cars compete with the Camry and Altima. Large cars compete with the Avalon, Accord and Maxima. Chevy trucks get GMC trim-level options.

Pontiac sticks around and builds small economical cars that target Scion buyers - small, front wheel drive, sporty cars with "Fiero" type exotic designs. These cars could/would also compete with vehicles like the Mazda Miata, Honda S2000, etcetera. This would make for a fine "excitement" division.

Hummer, GMC, Saab, and Saturn are sold.

Cadillac dealerships are standalone. Chevy, Buick and Pontiac can be combined.

Sandy
12-04-08, 08:13 AM
Only thing I would do is end GMC. Easier said than done. You guys don't have a clue, as you have never been IN the car business ! Owners (at some point) have paid (some amount) to obtain their franchise ! The value of said franchise is what it is worth TODAY, not what they paid in 1967 ! G.M. has to buy back or pay out the value of said franchise as of today, or whenever...
GMC is 95% identical to Chevrolet's trucks. But.....each & every GMC dealer has to be made whole, meaning G.M. has to buy back the franchise at today's market value. BEWARE the GMC EXCLUSIVE dealership. I am not sure, but I think I once heard that if he can prove he purchased the land exclusively FOR his being appointed a GMC dealer, and he has NO other brand(s), I think G.M. also has to pay him 50% of the cost of the land, but I am not 100% sure on this part.
But you people are killing Saturn, Pontiac, Saab, and whatever more. THAT bird will never fly. Remember, all Saturn stores are stand-alones ! Massive massive massive pay-out in franchise fees, buildings, property....
As I see it, only GMC is a do-able delete.
I am old enough to recall the (then) massive buy-outs that FoMoCo had to pay out to 100s & 100s of Edsel stores, that were ALL stand-alones !

I was reading the plan for Mercury. 2010 = No Grand Marquis, No Mountaineer, and 2011 no Sable - just Milan & they are bringing over European Fords with new fronts and rears as Mercurys. That brand will become the Euro Ford Division. Shades of Merkur, Scorpio and the original Capri. Hmmm.....

As GM re-designs a car, it should only go to one division, not shared, just as XLR is not shared, and Pontiac G8 is not shared.
One could have a 4WD platform and one a 2WD platform and the 2WD platform another could be RWD while another be FWD. Different fronts & rears, different paint colors..... whatever is cost effective to make each as different as possible.

CIWS
12-04-08, 09:08 AM
Cadillac sticks around and builds premium luxury sport cars that compete with BMW, Audi, and Mercedes. Snip......

Sounds good Sal.

GM needs to design a serious electric car. The Volt is fine as an initial product, but the potential isn't being seized.

Cliff8928
12-04-08, 12:03 PM
As GM re-designs a car, it should only go to one division, not shared, just as XLR is not shared, and Pontiac G8 is not shared.

:suspect:

You do know the XLR and the 'Vette come off the same line with lots of the same parts, right?

The G8 is shared too, just not in the US.

LS1Mike
12-04-08, 12:27 PM

You do know the XLR and the 'Vette come off the same line with lots of the same parts, right?

G8=2010 Camaro

c5 rv
12-04-08, 03:40 PM
I remember hearing, and GM has recently said, that the Saturn franchise agreements are different than the agreements with the rest of their dealerships. Maybe there are some clauses in there that would lower the price of closing or selling the brand. I agree that closing the old established BPG dealerships would be very expensive unless done under bankruptcy protection which may allow them to avoid some of that cost.

Sandy
12-04-08, 08:51 PM

But the XLR & Corvette don't look alike, and pretty much sell to different buyers.

Yes I know the G8 has a twin, but only you & I know that, so don't tell anyone !:shhh:

billc83
12-04-08, 09:19 PM
It's sour grapes now, but I still think GM completely missed the boat by killing Oldsmobile. A Cadillac - Oldsmobile - Chevrolet triumvirate would have very little product overlap, and each brand could appeal to different buyers.

Doesn't Oldsmobile Enclave just sound right?

RightTurn
12-04-08, 09:30 PM
Um.... no.

;)

c5 rv
12-04-08, 09:38 PM
... Doesn't Oldsmobile Enclave just sound right?

There's the sure-fire GM answer - relaunch Oldsmobile! That's worked for them for decades.

Sandy
12-05-08, 10:10 AM
The amount of INVENTORY needed to be stocked in a 3 or 4 brand "house"
manifests itself into a mega-whopper of a monthly interest payment to whomever is bankrolling the inventory! This pushes out the private owner and opens up dealerships to the underworld as a fabulous place to park their millions.
Good for them. Not good for you buyers. Worse for their employees.

Gone List:

Oldsmobile
Edsel
DeSoto
Plymouth
Imperial
American Motors Corporation

Me thinks that's already too many !!

Now, name a Foreign car that has pulled out. HINT: There's only one. Scan Down

Isuzu is THE ONLY make that has left the USA !
Well also Deawoo.... But they left the world.

c5 rv
12-05-08, 08:11 PM
...Now, name a Foreign car that has pulled out.

Peugeot
Renault
Citroen
Opel
Yugo
Fiat
Triumph
MG