: Why no hd radio ?

veloce
12-03-08, 05:25 PM
Anyone have the answer? I could make a rather cynical guess, such as a corrupt deal with XM to eliminate a percieved competitor;but I'll leave that to the consiracy theorists. Jeff

jasaero
12-03-08, 10:19 PM
I don't think that's why. HD Radio is actually having trouble proliferating in general IMHO. I think iBiquity wants to collect licensing money in too many different directions at too high a rates. It's still quite uncommon on production cars so they are obviously not doing much to encourage manufactures to use it. Would be cool to have on more cars, but seems slow to proliferate in general, not just on cars, but slow to show up on radio tuning gizmos in general because of the licensing. Caddy probably didn't see it being worth the licensing cost as standard or a highly popular option.

tedcmiller
12-04-08, 12:07 AM
jasaero is probably correct since many people are under the misconception that the HD in HD radio means high-definition. If this were true, it would imply that HD radio sounds better than conventional FM. In fact the HD in connection with automobile radios means hybrid-digital. That is, the transmission is digital rather than analog, as is the case with conventional FM. What this does primarily (like digital TV) is to allow more information (e.g., additional channels) to be packed into the same channel bandwidth currently occupied by the conventional analog FM signal. HD radio signals usually sound no better than conventional FM. Unless you want to listen the additional channels provided by HD radio, it is a waste of money.

thebigjimsho
12-04-08, 12:39 AM
I have HD radio in my TC's Eclipse head unit. Both AM and FM stations sound markedly better than regular radio...

CIWS
12-04-08, 08:45 AM
You can load music on to the hard drive, the disk player reads MP3 disks and you have a place to plug in an Ipod.

tedcmiller
12-04-08, 11:42 AM
thebigjimsho,
I am sure the HD radio in your car sound better than what was there before. However, there are a lot of reasons why this might be true, all of which have nothing to do with the actual sound quality being transmitted (old radio was of lower quality, the " I paid good money for this and I am not about to admit it was wasted." syndrome, etc. Without a quantitative analysis, such statements don't mean much. The push for digital-to-analog converters for the upcoming switch to all-digital TV touts a better picture, but that is because digital is affected by noise to a lesser extent than analog, and it is an all-or-nothing situation. That is, you either receive a good signal or (unlike analog) you receive nothing.

veloce
12-04-08, 12:21 PM
HD Radio has a large number of stations in the Denver area with varried and no commercial programing. Hence my interest. Hardware costs are minimal so I wouldn't think the license would be much. I don't know that as a fact. It seems to me if Cadillac wants to return to the "Standard Of The World" it would be included.Yes it is cutting edge but BMW offers it and they are seen as a competitior. I was hopeing some Caddy person might be lurking and wish to give some insight. So, no lurkers or no talkers. Jeff

thebigjimsho
12-04-08, 02:03 PM
thebigjimsho,
I am sure the HD radio in your car sound better than what was there before. However, there are a lot of reasons why this might be true, all of which have nothing to do with the actual sound quality being transmitted (old radio was of lower quality, the " I paid good money for this and I am not about to admit it was wasted." syndrome, etc. Without a quantitative analysis, such statements don't mean much. The push for digital-to-analog converters for the upcoming switch to all-digital TV touts a better picture, but that is because digital is affected by noise to a lesser extent than analog, and it is an all-or-nothing situation. That is, you either receive a good signal or (unlike analog) you receive nothing.Whatever the reason or technology, I've driven a number of cars and have had some pretty exotic sound systems. The HD radio played through the stock speakers of my TC is the best radio I've ever heard...