: 2009 CTS-V D3 Wheel Options

Fire and Ice
12-03-08, 04:28 PM
Don't Wait To Order New Wheels For You New CTS-V!! D3 is offering 3 piece wheel options for your new CTS-V and from now through Friday, December 5th, 2008 ALL 3 piece wheels by Forgeline are on sale for 20% off MSRP! Wheels are built to order. Please contact our sales department for more details.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa72/mistuman/D3_3PWheelProgram_09CTSV_FINALcopy.jpg

Ketzer
12-03-08, 04:41 PM
Craig, what's the latest news on oversizing the rears? I know you guys were trying to get one to see what kind of minor mods could be done to squeeze into the next wider tire.

Thanks,
Jeff-

Fire and Ice
12-03-08, 06:49 PM
Jeff, we've confirmed that we can squeeze a 295 tire in the rear. Anything wider would require either mini-tubs or a wide body kit.

thebigjimsho
12-03-08, 08:37 PM
You need to photochop wheel C1 onto that black V...

edsuski
12-03-08, 09:04 PM
Any chance you can list the rotational inertia for each wheel (including the stock wheels)? It is pretty easy to measure - but very difficult to calculate. You would be one of the few people to ever do so and it would be the most helpful thing anyone could look at when buying wheels.

I understand that many people buy for looks only - but some of us would like to ensure that the change improves performance rather than decreases it.

What say you?

Ketzer
12-03-08, 09:39 PM
Jeff, we've confirmed that we can squeeze a 295 tire in the rear. Anything wider would require either mini-tubs or a wide body kit.

:2thumbs: Mini tubs! I like the sound of that!

thebigjimsho
12-03-08, 10:22 PM
Any chance you can list the rotational inertia for each wheel (including the stock wheels)? It is pretty easy to measure - but very difficult to calculate. You would be one of the few people to ever do so and it would be the most helpful thing anyone could look at when buying wheels.

I understand that many people buy for looks only - but some of us would like to ensure that the change improves performance rather than decreases it.

What say you?U = rofl x2 - redonkulous + please.

edsuski
12-03-08, 11:38 PM
U = rofl x2 - redonkulous + please.

Thanks for adding so much value to the forum.

CSX
12-03-08, 11:55 PM
If you like rivets, those would be some great looking wheel choices. I personally do not, although I do understand their necessity on three-piece wheels. I'd be interested to see what F1 would look like on a black V, however.

urbanski
12-04-08, 07:26 AM
Thanks for adding so much value to the forum.

your question was a bit odd.

click here please so that YOU can add this value of which you speak
http://www.cadillacforums.com/subscribe.html

CIWS
12-04-08, 09:49 AM

I think that's a fair desire/question on your part. But you're in the wrong crowd here, these folks are much more concerned about the looks it has over how they're fracking up the factory designs of their performance sedan. Go figure.

Ketzer
12-04-08, 11:21 AM
I agree that wheel weights affect performance. Its track proven.
I disagree that the factory put very much thought in, or designed this car around these specific wheels/weights. To hint that changing to a set of high quality 3 piece wheels that are close to factory sizes would skew performance of this tank seems a bit unfounded. I'd be willing to bet a cold beer that most brands of wheels chosen by this snobbish crowd (me included) would be at least a pound or two lighter per corner than stock.
All that being said,
I like 3A (or A3), but in the dark grey with the hoop coated also.

CSX, most wheel manufac offer the "blind side" option to hide the bling heads, not sure about Forgeline.

Jeff-

Fire and Ice
12-04-08, 12:52 PM
Ok, I think this post has veered a little off course. I could ask James to photochop some images, but remember the sale ENDS tomorrow. We did weight the wheels and the factory 19" wheel with tire weighs as much as our 3 piece wheel in a 20" wheel with tire so there would be minimal to no loss of performance.

edsuski
12-04-08, 01:26 PM
I disagree that the factory put very much thought in, or designed this car around these specific wheels/weights. To hint that changing to a set of high quality 3 piece wheels that are close to factory sizes would skew performance of this tank seems a bit unfounded. I'd be willing to bet a cold beer that most brands of wheels chosen by this snobbish crowd (me included) would be at least a pound or two lighter per corner than stock.
All that being said,

CSX, most wheel manufac offer the "blind side" option to hide the bling heads, not sure about Forgeline.

Jeff-

Jeff,

I think you bring up a really good question. There is so much talk about the "tuning" of the handling and suspension of these cars at the NŁrburgring etc. etc., is it wise to change wheels or tires?

I agree that "most" people buy wheels for purely cosmetic reasons, but if you are going to spend $5K or more on a new set of wheels - wouldn't you like to know that the end result was not going to slow the car down or increase stopping distances?

Personally, I would like to make sure anything I spend big bucks on for my car actually improves the performance. If your choice came down to two different wheels - wouldn't you like to have the information to make an informed decision to be able to make the choice that improved rather than decreased your "performance"?

Also, un-sprung weight is important, but rotational inertia is more important. What do you guys think?

Dr. Design
12-04-08, 01:31 PM
Hello,
Actually there is a hidden hardware option for all the 3-piece wheels. It will actually help decrease rotational mass and overall weight.

edsuski - One of our Engineers will gather that information for you and we will post when it is made available to us.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

All that being said,

Jeff-

edsuski
12-04-08, 02:02 PM
Ok, I think this post has veered a little off course. I could ask James to photochop some images, but remember the sale ENDS tomorrow. We did weight the wheels and the factory 19" wheel with tire weighs as much as our 3 piece wheel in a 20" wheel with tire so there would be minimal to no loss of performance.

Craig,

Thanks for your input, but I'm sure you realize that two wheels that weigh the same can easily have drastically different rotational inertia and thus result in significantly different performance impact. Admittedly, the later information is rarely available - however, D3 has a somewhat unique opportunity to be able to provide customers with this vital information further demonstrating that you guys are the "experts" in performance.

Don't misunderstand - weight would be valuable information - but providing rotational inertia data would really set your company apart from the competition.

Ed

thebigjimsho
12-04-08, 03:10 PM
All that being said,

Jeff-I do believe the stock wheels are forged. So it will be hard to get better wheels. But while I certainly hate dubs for their ungodly weight, I'm not so concerned with it that I won't get wheels that are a tad heavier if they look amazing. On the track? That's a different story...

Ketzer
12-04-08, 03:10 PM
So let me get this straight,
You guys think that a wheel of the same basic size and equal or probably lesser weight could have such a significantly different mass that it would effect the rotational inertia to such a degree that you would be able to notice it while you're hot lapping down to the Piggly Wiggly to get some Cheetos? This is hilarious! :histeric: I love hearing engineers debate.

thebigjimsho
12-04-08, 03:16 PM
I think that's a fair desire/question on your part. But you're in the wrong crowd here, these folks are much more concerned about the looks it has over how they're fracking up the factory designs of their performance sedan. Go figure.
Panderer. That's a broad swath...

CIWS
12-04-08, 03:23 PM
Panderer. That's a broad swath...

Hey man, nobody said anything about swathin broads :D

thebigjimsho
12-04-08, 03:33 PM
Hey man, nobody said anything about swathin broads :DWait, wut? :drool:

Ketzer
12-04-08, 04:03 PM
Hey man, nobody said anything about swathin broads :D

I didn't think that was still legal in Texas? Maybe here in the backwoods...:canttalk:

gotapex
12-04-08, 05:34 PM
Also, un-sprung weight is important, but rotational inertia is more important. What do you guys think?

Definitely. It makes a big difference. The further out you move the weight on the wheel, the larger the difference too. That's why 20" wheel/tires need to be substantially lighter than 19" wheel/tires to merely equal the straightline performance.

Another issue is going +1 on the diameter changes the amount of sidewall you have, often decreasing the overall grip. It also makes the breakaway characteristics (the transition between grip and slide) less linear, more unpredictable.

So let me get this straight,
You guys think that a wheel of the same basic size and equal or probably lesser weight could have such a significantly different mass that it would effect the rotational inertia to such a degree that you would be able to notice it while you're hot lapping down to the Piggly Wiggly to get some Cheetos? This is hilarious! :histeric: I love hearing engineers debate.

It can. If the difference in weight is enough, you can feel it pretty easily, not only in straight line acceleration, but with braking performance too.

For instance Dymag CF/Mg wheels (like on the Koenigsegg, Mosler, and Callaway) weigh roughly 17-19 lbs in 19". http://www.nobleforums.com/images/onyxm400/sema2006/h_dymag1.jpg

A 10-15 lb per corner weight savings (40-60 lbs total) in rotational weight is reasonably noticable.

If we're talking only a couple lbs per corner, it's far harder to feel.

Ketzer
12-04-08, 07:29 PM
Agree with every bit of that. Just commenting that the product that this thread was started about is high quality. What D3 is offering is a better styled (opinion), prolly lighter, strong as or stronger than OE wheel choice. There really is no reason to question if it would hurt the performance of an otherwise stock vehicle. Most are gonna buy stock sizes and run the OE tires, we aren't talking about putting China made 22s on. Why cast this shadow of a negative effect that won't even exist?

BTW gotapex, saw a couple of Moslers at SEMA with the Dyamags. Ultimate wheel pron! One was in the Nelson booth... 1800hp. Sick.

edsuski
12-04-08, 08:38 PM
Agree with every bit of that. Just commenting that the product that this thread was started about is high quality. What D3 is offering is a better styled (opinion), prolly lighter, strong as or stronger than OE wheel choice. There really is no reason to question if it would hurt the performance of an otherwise stock vehicle. Most are gonna buy stock sizes and run the OE tires, we aren't talking about putting China made 22s on. Why cast this shadow of a negative effect that won't even exist?

BTW gotapex, saw a couple of Moslers at SEMA with the Dyamags. Ultimate wheel pron! One was in the Nelson booth... 1800hp. Sick.

I think that it comes down to whether you are willing to spend $5K plus on looks that reduce performance at all or whether you want to make sure your investment improves performance. Without knowing the rotational inertia - it is very difficult to gauge.

I agree that for most - it isn't as important as looks.

gotapex
12-04-08, 09:01 PM

Yeah, crazy vehicles. Nelson Racing Engines makes some absolutely insane stuff. I think I'd need an extra set of underwear driving one of those things.

LV_V
12-07-08, 03:12 AM
I think that it comes down to whether you are willing to spend $5K plus on looks that reduce performance at all or whether you want to make sure your investment improves performance. Without knowing the rotational inertia - it is very difficult to gauge.

I agree that for most - it isn't as important as looks.
Are you serious pal?? Please...

We're talking about going from a 19" OEM wheel to a 20" high-performance 3-piece here, not 22 or 24" anchors... Don't you have something better to be doing than posting 15 times in a thread about this?

V-Love
12-07-08, 07:16 AM
your question was a bit odd.

click here please so that YOU can add this value of which you speak
http://www.cadillacforums.com/subscribe.html

Yeah..... Pay up, you bottom feeders!
And I gotta know what a carbon fiber rim costs. Thats wild.

LV_V
12-07-08, 03:51 PM
I believe it was like $10k+ a set. They're not meant to be daily driven, unless you have perfect roads everywhere you drive, which is not reality.

gotapex
12-07-08, 07:59 PM

They're $6k-10k or so, depending on size.

They're EXTREMELY strong too. You can attack berms hard on them, hard enough to crack normal aluminum wheels. If you hit them hard enough to break them, you have much bigger worries (ie. destroyed suspension). Even then, chances are you'll break the spokes first, way before the CF hoops.

http://www.nobleforums.com/images/onyxm400/cfwheels/broken.jpg

edsuski
12-08-08, 12:49 AM
Are you serious pal?? Please...

We're talking about going from a 19" OEM wheel to a 20" high-performance 3-piece here, not 22 or 24" anchors... Don't you have something better to be doing than posting 15 times in a thread about this?

What don't you understand? This seems fairly obvious. IF you happen to increase the rotational inertia of your wheels by changing them - you WILL decrease the acceleration and increase your stopping distances. It is really that simple.

If you don't care about an increase of, for example, 0.1 second in 0-60 times as a result of spending $5K+ - then by all means - spend your money blindly. The economy needs the stimulation.

HPCC
12-08-08, 02:36 AM
If you don't care about an increase of, for example, 0.1 second in 0-60 times as a result of spending $5K+ - then by all means - spend your money blindly. The economy needs the stimulation.Okay, I'll bite. Please show me the math. How much of an increase in rotational inertia would it take with a 20" wheel + tire combo to net a 0.1 second increase 0-60 time--and what would be the corresponding increase in weight?

edsuski
12-08-08, 12:58 PM
Okay, I'll bite. Please show me the math. How much of an increase in rotational inertia would it take with a 20" wheel + tire combo to net a 0.1 second increase 0-60 time--and what would be the corresponding increase in weight?

HPCC,

Without the value for the rotational inertia - it is very difficult to show you the exact math, but simply think of the rotational inertia as being the mass being rotated multiplied by the distance from the center of the wheel SQUARED. The squared term is what makes it so significant. Any time you move the rotating mass further from he center - the energy required to accelerate and decelerate it increases exponentially (exponent = 2). Think of a skater who spins with his/her arms extended. What happens when the arms are retracted? The energy has not changed but the angular acceleration certainly has.

It is relatively easy to measure if you have the wheels, but really difficult to calculate without very sophisticated 3D modeling software and exact mechanical files from the wheel manufacturer. I would like to "encourage" people selling wheels to make this information available. Again, personally - if I am spending $5K plus on my vehicle - I want to make sure it is not decreasing performance. For me, changing parts would be about increasing performance over cosmetics. I realize that that is not the case for all. As for actual real world results - I recall people measuring 0.1 to 0.2 second reductions 0-60 times when going to a plus 2 application. Here is a link to a simular thread:

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=160553

Remember - it isn't just the weight of the wheel - but the distance of the weight from the center of the mass SQUARED.

If wheel manufacturers would simply list the value for the rotational inertia of a given wheel - we would instantly know if it was a performance improvement or reduction (assuming we knew the value for the stock part). Sorry I can't be more specific - If I had the value - I could show you the math. It would not be too difficult for a wheel manufacturer or seller (such as Tire Rack) to build a program that would provide actual 0-60 times and stopping distances with various wheel/tire packages but I fear that it would drastically impact their wheel sales.

On a side not - I ran across an all carbon fiber wheel that weighed in at 6 Lbs. A set of four was $12K. I had never seen such a light wheel before. Alas, still no mention of the rotational inertia but I am guessing that it is likely to be much less than a 17 Lb version....

gotapex
12-08-08, 03:06 PM
On a side not - I ran across an all carbon fiber wheel that weighed in at 6 Lbs. A set of four was $12K. I had never seen such a light wheel before. Alas, still no mention of the rotational inertia but I am guessing that it is likely to be much less than a 17 Lb version....

The WedsSport wheel in all likelihood will not be produced. That one is not strong enough for normal use, unlike the Dymags.

http://www.carbonfibergear.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/carbon-fiber-wheel-weight.jpg

Ketzer
12-08-08, 04:17 PM
gotapex,
You seem pretty up on it so I guess you've seen this also?

http://www.carbonfibergear.com/tag/dymag/

Jeff-

edsuski
12-08-08, 05:19 PM
The WedsSport wheel in all likelihood will not be produced. That one is not strong enough for normal use, unlike the Dymags.

http://www.carbonfibergear.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/carbon-fiber-wheel-weight.jpg

It looked too good to be true. Oh well.

gotapex
12-08-08, 05:43 PM
gotapex,
You seem pretty up on it so I guess you've seen this also?

http://www.carbonfibergear.com/tag/dymag/

Jeff-

Yeah, HRE aluminum centers on Dymag carbon fiber hoops. Releasing in Jan 09, with higher than Dymag pricing (eventhough Dymag uses lighter magnesium centers).

They're good looking wheels. I think that top one would look great on the CTS-V.

http://www.vividracing.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/l-640-480-c7e5cc7e-df73-4133-a6ad-2408dfea99fa.jpeg

I studied up on these wheels to put on my daily driver (a Noble M400). I really want to get some of those Dymags, but it's hard to justify the price, with the dollar still being so weak. The ~50 lbs worth of unsprung, rotating weight savings would be awesome though, especially on a light car.

IMHO, the Forgeline products that the OP posted are great wheels. The ZX3R is my favorite in their lineup.

http://www.forgeline.com/product_images/product_photo-xlarge_image-22.jpg

They're very strong, and surprisingly light at about 21-23 lbs or so (with titanium hardware upgrade option).

LV_V
12-08-08, 07:37 PM
HPCC,

Without the value for the rotational inertia - it is very difficult to show you the exact math, but simply think of the rotational inertia as being the mass being rotated multiplied by the distance from the center of the wheel SQUARED. The squared term is what makes it so significant. Any time you move the rotating mass further from he center - the energy required to accelerate and decelerate it increases exponentially (exponent = 2). Think of a skater who spins with his/her arms extended. What happens when the arms are retracted? The energy has not changed but the angular acceleration certainly has.

It is relatively easy to measure if you have the wheels, but really difficult to calculate without very sophisticated 3D modeling software and exact mechanical files from the wheel manufacturer. I would like to "encourage" people selling wheels to make this information available. Again, personally - if I am spending $5K plus on my vehicle - I want to make sure it is not decreasing performance. For me, changing parts would be about increasing performance over cosmetics. I realize that that is not the case for all. As for actual real world results - I recall people measuring 0.1 to 0.2 second reductions 0-60 times when going to a plus 2 application. Here is a link to a simular thread:

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=160553

Remember - it isn't just the weight of the wheel - but the distance of the weight from the center of the mass SQUARED.

If wheel manufacturers would simply list the value for the rotational inertia of a given wheel - we would instantly know if it was a performance improvement or reduction (assuming we knew the value for the stock part). Sorry I can't be more specific - If I had the value - I could show you the math. It would not be too difficult for a wheel manufacturer or seller (such as Tire Rack) to build a program that would provide actual 0-60 times and stopping distances with various wheel/tire packages but I fear that it would drastically impact their wheel sales.

Alright, aside from the mystical land of $10,000 carbon fiber wheelsets, you've yet to provide any proof that, for example, a 20" Forgeline wheel is:

1. Heavier than the 19" OEM wheel
2. Has a higher rotational interia
3. Anything at all, besides an age old argument for not replacing the wheels

edsuski
12-08-08, 08:04 PM
Alright, aside from the mystical land of $10,000 carbon fiber wheelsets, you've yet to provide any proof that, for example, a 20" Forgeline wheel is:

1. Heavier than the 19" OEM wheel
2. Has a higher rotational interia
3. Anything at all, besides an age old argument for not replacing the wheels

I have said nothing about any specific wheel. I am all for replacing wheels if it will increase performance. Unfortunately it is not as simple as saying one wheel weighs less than the other. Again I = mR^2. The R^2 term could result in a lighter wheel with a larger diameter actually having a higher rotational inertia and thus reducing performance.

So we are back to the beginning of my quest - to encourage people who sell (D3 in this case) or manufacture wheels to please list the rotational inertia of the wheel so we can easily compare them.

Dr. Design
12-08-08, 09:48 PM
Hello,
Please note that the request has gone into the engineers for the information you seek. I donít want you to think we have forgotten about your info request.

As for the wheels, we do offer a great variety. One of the reasons we work so closely with Forgeline is they have a great reputation on the racetrack. A lot of people donít know that we also offer the HRE lineup, but by comparison the Forgelines are much more affordable without a drop off in quality or engineering. They have an established & successful racing program with Banner Engineering's Racing Team. The technology that is developed in motorsports is carried over to their wheel program. That is why we offer Forgeline wheels and consider them great quality wheels by comparison to some of the other 3-piece forged wheel offerings currently on the market.

The Dynamag wheels are great. But letís face it, not too many people are going to be putting $10-15K wheels on their cars unless they have a good reason to. If you are looking for something that is performance oriented that still has style and class (something that you would expect in a Cadillac) then these wheels, in our opinion, are the best choice. Compare them to your Giovanni, Asanti, etc... wheels. These wheels donít stack up to the Forgeline wheels. Nothing wrong with those wheel companies, but on a performance based vehicle like the 09 CTSV, you want something that can hold its own if you ever decide to track the car!

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

I have said nothing about any specific wheel. I am all for replacing wheels if it will increase performance. Unfortunately it is not as simple as saying one wheel weighs less than the other. Again I = mR^2. The R^2 term could result in a lighter wheel with a larger diameter actually having a higher rotational inertia and thus reducing performance.

So we are back to the beginning of my quest - to encourage people who sell (D3 in this case) or manufacture wheels to please list the rotational inertia of the wheel so we can easily compare them.

atdeneve
12-09-08, 07:13 AM
IMHO, the Forgeline products that the OP posted are great wheels. The ZX3R is my favorite in their lineup.

http://www.forgeline.com/product_images/product_photo-xlarge_image-22.jpg

They're very strong, and surprisingly light at about 21-23 lbs or so (with titanium hardware upgrade option).

Those wheels are yummy.

Do you guys offer those for either the V1 or the V2?

Dr. Design
12-09-08, 01:56 PM
Hello,
Yes they are great looking wheels. Those particular wheels are designed for the track and we would have to machine up a different center cap rather than provide the traditional cap. They are available for the V1 & V2 fitments. We have some brand new in the box 18" race wheels for the V1 still for sale....

Let us know if there are any questions. Again we have already verified fitment for the 09 CTSV and can build wheels now.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Those wheels are yummy.

Do you guys offer those for either the V1 or the V2?

thebigjimsho
12-09-08, 02:43 PM
We have some brand new in the box 18" race wheels for the V1 still for sale....

Please explain...

Dr. Design
12-09-08, 03:10 PM
Well they are basically that exact same wheel. I have attached an image.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r134/ctd3rnd/Picture014.jpg

Long story = short, a customer ordered them for his V1 and had to cancel the order due to an illness. Wheels were completed and they are available for sale. MSRP is $995/per and they are staggered fitment, 18x8.5 and 18x9.5. They are being offered at $800/per.

For the V2 this size will not fit or clear the larger calipers. However we can offer this wheel in a larger diameter 19" for those that are looking for a dedicated lightweight track wheel. Dont forget we can also run the light weight titanium fasteners...

Thanks,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Please explain...

thebigjimsho
12-09-08, 03:17 PM
Maybe someday I'll bite on those. Just not today...:helpless:

atdeneve
12-09-08, 06:04 PM
What's the weight on those 18s? What would a 19 weigh? What's the difference in weight with titanium fasteners? I'd prefer 19s, just because most non-stock/aftermarket 18s look so small on the V. It'd be nice to see what they'd look like fitted on the V beforehand. However, if these were to be dedicated track wheels...

I also prefer the Forgeline logo, in the first picture, without the black background. Are those just stickers put on there or are they painted on?

Yum yum.

Dr. Design
12-09-08, 07:15 PM
Hello,
I dont have the exact weight of these wheels. I believe they are about 1.1-1.2 lbs./per inch. To upgrade up to the 19" configuration you are looking at adding about (1) lbs. If you change out to the titanium fasteners you are reducing weight by 3/4 of a lbs.

We had a CTSV a couple of months ago, but we werent allowed to take pictures. So we cant show what wheels looked like on the vehicle....They will look super sexy though!

As for the Forgeline logo decal. They have a bunch of different options. If you like the wat they look with the clear backround, just mention that when placing your order. The cool part about these lineup of wheels are they are the exact same wheels used in Grand AM Cup racing series. Very strong!!!

Thanks,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

What's the weight on those 18s? What would a 19 weigh? What's the difference in weight with titanium fasteners? I'd prefer 19s, just because most non-stock/aftermarket 18s look so small on the V. It'd be nice to see what they'd look like fitted on the V beforehand. However, if these were to be dedicated track wheels...

I also prefer the Forgeline logo, in the first picture, without the black background. Are those just stickers put on there or are they painted on?

Yum yum.