: Voice Recognition Software

the cadillac kid
12-02-08, 10:10 PM
I'm in college & doing a research study, about to wrap things up, have a few hours worth of interviews that I need to transcribe. I've tried to "listen & type" but its taking about 3:1 and i have HOURS worth of audio that needs to be typed out.

What software is out there (that I can download for free) that can transcribe these audio files for me?

-tck

RightTurn
12-02-08, 10:29 PM
Do you have Windows Vista?

thebigjimsho
12-02-08, 11:36 PM
I do. Explain how.

dkozloski
12-02-08, 11:48 PM
Dragon Naturally Speaking at about $100 a shot.

RightTurn
12-02-08, 11:53 PM
I do. Explain how.

http://www.microsoft.com/enable/products/windowsvista/speech.aspx

the cadillac kid
12-03-08, 12:34 AM
Dragon Naturally Speaking at about $100 a shot.

about 10x more than I can spend. Anyone have it for free?

RightTurn- thanks, is the only way for Windows Speech Recognition to work via microphone? 'Cus, i don't know a single person w/ one...

thebigjimsho
12-03-08, 12:37 AM
about 10x more than I can spend. Anyone have it for free?

RightTurn- thanks, is the only way for Windows Speech Recognition to work via microphone? 'Cus, i don't know a single person w/ one...What computer doesn't have a built-in mic?

gary88
12-03-08, 12:39 AM
You could give this a try

http://www.mininova.org/search/?search=dragon+naturally+speaking

:squid:

RightTurn
12-03-08, 12:42 AM
RightTurn- thanks, is the only way for Windows Speech Recognition to work via microphone? 'Cus, i don't know a single person w/ one...

Mikey, babe. Any "voice recognition" software is going to require a microphone. :thepan: Did you think you would just yell at the monitor?? :tard: Almost every laptop nowadays has a built-in mic. Or, you could pick up a cheapo USB mic at the electronics stupormart. :alchi:

the cadillac kid
12-03-08, 01:17 AM
Yeah i'm settting up WVR right now.
When i was setting it up, the 2nd page made it seem like you *needed* a headset or a microphone to plug in.

As far as how I thought it was going to work... I thought it would just play the audio file, then the built-in mic of the laptop would pick up on the voices & just reproduce it into a document. (It seems as though though my expectation was/is right) Like i said, I was just thrown off by the Set-Up Wizard.

Sorry.

RightTurn
12-03-08, 01:23 AM
No problem kiddo. Hope you get it to work.