: Lession Learned

JacksonvilleDeville
12-01-08, 11:52 PM
So yesterday i decide to destroy my stereo wire harness in order to install a DVD player. Well things did not go as well as i thought they should. For one the wire diagram that i printed out did not list every wire that there is. As well they listed one wire that was not even there.

On top of all that, i could not get the DVD player to work, so i thought why not try to fix what i did. So after trying to set all the wires back to there home, i come to find out that something must be wrong. Is it the two grey wires are mix matched? No. Is it the two identical purple wires are in the wrong place? No because that did not fix anything.

Oh well, i tell myself, i will have my buddy fix it this weekend, he is all into stereos and what have you. So i go to the gas station, then to buy a new light bulb for the low beams and on the way i notice my trunk does not open with the button, the windows no longer work, and gas door no longer pops with the button, and i am more than sure i will find something else wrong in the morning.

I have read that when you remove the radio things start to go wrong with your Cadillac, i thought that was all bull, and someone does not know what they are doing or talking about, and it turns out i was wrong. I did not know what i was doing nor what i was talking about.

Submariner409
12-02-08, 11:26 AM
Jacksonville, I thing the wiring work has tripped the security and body control systems into a theft protection mode. The radio head unit has a security system built in which really messes up the rest of the car.

You need to get to a good install shop and explain your problem. Maybe they'll be able to restore and reset the system. If not, you're probably stuck with a Cadillac dealer to track down the problem, but kiss your credit card goodbye........

N*Caddy
12-03-08, 11:32 PM
Do you have U1L/U6W6 (i.e. base) or UQ6 (i.e. active audio)?

I do believe the PPL wires are the data wires. If you swap the data wires no problemo anyway they are connected together inside the HU (check-it with an ohm meter).

Anyway here is the pin layout:

U1L/UW6:
F1 – Ignition positive voltage (ORN)
F3 – Power antenna control (DK BRN)
F4 – ORN/BLK 16 V reference for the interior lights (ORN/BLK)
E5 – Interior lights (GRY)
E1 – CD changer E+C Data line (DK GRN)
E10 – CD Changer Left In (+) (BRN/WHT)
E11 – CD Changer Right In (+) (DK GRN/WHT)
E9 – CD Changer In (-) (BLK/WHT)
F6 – Serial Data Class II (PPL)
E6 – Serial Data Class II (PPL)
E7 – Mono IN (-) cellular interface (LT BLU/BLK)
E8 – Mono IN (+) cellular interface (DK BLU)
F5 – GND (BLK)
E16 – GND (BLK)
F12 – LH Front Speaker (+) (TAN)
F13 – LH Front Speaker (-) (GRY)
E15 – RH Front Speaker (+) (LT GRN)
E14 – RH Front Speaker (-) (LT GRN)
E12 – LH Rear Speaker (+) (BRN)
E13 – LH Rear Speaker (-) (YEL)
F15 – RH Rear Speaker (+) (DK BLU)
F14 – RH Rear Speaker (-) (LT BLU)

UQ6:
F1 – Ignition positive voltage (ORN)
F3 – Power antenna control (DK BRN)
F4 – ORN/BLK 16 V reference for the interior lights (ORN/BLK)
E5 – Interior lights (GRY)
F6 – Serial Data Class II (PPL)
E6 – Serial Data Class II (PPL)
E1 – CD changer E+C Data line (DK GRN)
E10 – CD Changer Left In (+) (BRN/WHT)
E11 – CD Changer Right In (+) (DK GRN/WHT)
E9 – CD Changer In (-) (BLK/WHT)
E14 – Left Out SHLD (non-insulated wire)
E13 – Left Out (-) (DK GRN)
E12 – Left Out (+) (TAN)
F11 – Chime Shield (non-insulated wire)
F12 – Chime (+) (PPL/WHT)
F13 – Chime (-) (DK BLU/WHT)
F14 – Right Out (-) (LT GRN)
F15 – Right Out (+) (GRN)
E15 – Right Out Shield (non-insulated wire)
F5 – GND (BLK)
E16 – GND (BLK)

By the looks of it you have the base system in witch case swapping the GRY wires is bad, bad will burn the interior light fuse (if you are lucky) and/or the amplifier. You might get lucky if:
1. your interior lights were never on since you reconnected the original HU
2. your dimmer is set to minimum

And one more thing…I do not endorse aftermarket for Cadillac (even if equipped with base Delco)…that’s just my opinion though.

Hope this helps.

N*Caddy
12-03-08, 11:56 PM
Here is your problem:
Radio/Phone fuse is burned (99% sure I bet my hat on it)
That will power the:
- Radio (power)
- Trunk release (controls only)
- Fuel door release solenoid (controls only)
- Power windows (controls only)
- Everything else that has to do with the accessories relay (for example sunroof if equipped).
Radio/Phone fuse is located in the trunk compartment fuse block, 2-nd top row, 2-nd from the left (Red).
Dare to prove me wrong! :bouncy:

JacksonvilleDeville
12-04-08, 06:11 PM
Here is your problem:
Radio/Phone fuse is burned (99% sure I bet my hat on it)
That will power the:
- Radio (power)
- Trunk release (controls only)
- Fuel door release solenoid (controls only)
- Power windows (controls only)
- Everything else that has to do with the accessories relay (for example sunroof if equipped).
Radio/Phone fuse is located in the trunk compartment fuse block, 2-nd top row, 2-nd from the left (Red).
Dare to prove me wrong! :bouncy:

Well i can not prove you wrong. I checked and replaced ALL of my fuses just before i reconnected my stereo and all is working great. Thank you for the input.