: Good alternative to the new V

StealthCTSVJJL
12-01-08, 03:05 PM
Just read Motor Trends test of the G8 GXP:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0902_2009_pontiac_g8_gxp_first_test/index.html
Sounds interesting for 40k, does 0-60 in 4.5 and 13.0 at 110, numbers are better than the 04-07 V plus not that far off the new V, considering all the cash left over. Also noticed that it is tuned for regular gas, that means that the LS3 in that car probably has a good amount of HP waiting for a tune. In reality this car appears to be very similar to the V1, with more power, better diff, no wheel hop, auto or manual and 12k less than the 2007 V.
Thats proress for sure, still like the V2 better, but the savings is very real in these times.

Florian
12-01-08, 04:24 PM
thats a solid platform to work with...kinda like the V1, but without the rear end issues and vague shifter. Plenty of mods available as well.....certainly worth considering.

F

JEM
12-01-08, 04:49 PM
The Commodores (G8s) are wonderful cars, platform-wise there's not anything in common with the V1 besides the powertrain.

The interior amenities are a bit short compared to the CTS-V and the current flavor has A-pillars that look awfully fat (need to actually measure them) but it's got a bag more rear seat room than any CTS and the Aussie aftermarket for these things is huge.

CIWS
12-01-08, 05:36 PM
LS3 + mild cam + headers + tune = 470-490 rwhp. Although the two cars are in completely different classes if more HP is what one wants the GXP would deliver it for 20K less money.

CVP33
12-01-08, 05:43 PM
I had no idea that this upgraded version was going to be that good! Someone posted that the interior was on par with my 300, but that the rear seat was even larger. I would've never believed it. After some research, the G8 has more interior room in almost every category over the 300. The performance potential is definitely there with any chevy derived V8. I ran a best 12.94 quarter with CAI, exhaust and tune. A 13.0 flat in stock trim is incredible.

NormV
12-01-08, 06:06 PM
Good price point. Autoweek basically said the "parade clunk" continues from the first cts-v. Buyer beware! Maybe that is why the manual trans 09 V has yet to be released.

Norm

IRONDOG
12-01-08, 08:06 PM
I'm concerned about the quality of the interior finish. I drove a G8 GT and wasn't too impressed with the interior.

JBsZ06
12-01-08, 09:21 PM
The G8 is a hell of a performance sedan for the money. The G8 GXP will be as well...
That said...the CTS V series just released with 556 hp is insane..
Got the extra coin laying around? Then definitely party on with the CTS V...
JMO and one day I hope to own one.

CSX
12-02-08, 01:32 AM
The LS3 (hell, any LS engine really) is phenomenal...it's not taking the 08-90 C6 guys very much to be pushing 500+ hp. The G8 is a solid performer for the price...perhaps just a little too vanilla for me, but I do think it is a worthile alternative for people who can't or don't want to spend $65k for a V.

Motor Trend recently did a comparison between the Charger R/T (essentially a less-fancy 300, as you all know) and the G8 GT, and named the G8 the superior vehicle. I wonder how well the GXP version will fare against stiffer competition....oh, say the SRT8 Charger/300, M3 sedan, and C63?

SRT8/BMW
12-02-08, 05:51 AM
The LS3 (hell, any LS engine really) is phenomenal...it's not taking the 08-90 C6 guys very much to be pushing 500+ hp. The G8 is a solid performer for the price...perhaps just a little too vanilla for me, but I do think it is a worthile alternative for people who can't or don't want to spend $65k for a V.

Motor Trend recently did a comparison between the Charger R/T (essentially a less-fancy 300, as you all know) and the G8 GT, and named the G8 the superior vehicle. I wonder how well the GXP version will fare against stiffer competition....oh, say the SRT8 Charger/300, M3 sedan, and C63?

In my opinion they did a great job developing the G8 GXP. It will fare well at its price point. It has slightly less hp/TQ than an SRT8 but is a tad quicker due to its roughly 300lb. weight advantage, and it is similar skid pad, braking and figure-8 numbers--and the price is close too. Previously- you couldn't compete with the srt8s for that kind of perfromance at that price-in a sedan. Plus--I like thelooks of the G8--especially the front end (not as much the backend).

atdeneve
12-02-08, 05:56 AM
Yeah, I think the back end is the only weak part of the G8 GXP, aesthetically.

SRT8/BMW
12-02-08, 05:59 AM
I had no idea that this upgraded version was going to be that good! Someone posted that the interior was on par with my 300, but that the rear seat was even larger. I would've never believed it. After some research, the G8 has more interior room in almost every category over the 300. The performance potential is definitely there with any chevy derived V8. I ran a best 12.94 quarter with CAI, exhaust and tune. A 13.0 flat in stock trim is incredible.

yes--that is very impressive. I got a 13.2 bone stock with my srt8-and with tune and CAI, 12.7 @110. Just a tune and CAI will likely get that GXP down in the mid 12s..pretty damn good for a family sedan--at a very reasonable price!

CIWS
12-02-08, 07:57 AM
Also remember the Camaro SS with the manual is coming and it also will sport the LS3 engine.

jjsC6
12-02-08, 10:12 AM
The G8 is a very interesting car to me. I've had quite a few Corvettes including an LS3 (I currently have an 09 Z06). I had two LS2 Corvettes and was blown away by how much better the LS3 was. Definitely a plus for the G8.

But my problem with the G8 is that they have hog-tied it by building it in Australia and shipping them over. They made compromises by not offering quite a bit of equipment that is actually available on the Manaro - they do not offer Navigation, full power seats, memory, homelink etc, and the interiors are all black (or black with a little bit of red).

Why they can't build the car in the U.S. and offer a full list of options and colors is beyond me. They could have made it a true competitor to the Acura TL, Infiniti G35, Chrylser 300 etc. But what they decided to do instead is make it a four door competitor to the Mustang and upcoming Camaro.

caddynoob
12-02-08, 10:22 AM
It is a good alternative if one is looking for performance and interior space, but not luxury.

Personally I will rather stick with the V. I also suspect that the passive safety of the V will be slightly better.

afterdigital
12-02-08, 11:06 AM
50cent worked a deal with Pontiac to purchase and showcase the firtst 550hp G8 here in the US. It was presented at SEMA and the tv show, West Coast (i could be wrong about the show).

That thing was HOOOTTTTTT!