: Northstar Stud Kits ready to ship!

97EldoCoupe
12-01-08, 02:24 PM
Stud Kits ready to ship for anyone doing the HGs on a Northstar.

I have ten kits in stock for 93-99 Northstars including 4.0 Aurora motors. The studs are professionally CNC machined and heat treated and eliminate the need for using inserts- the stud is the insert and head bolt all in one.

This is by far the best and strongest, most durable way to fix the stripped bolt holes in the block- over twice the grip in the block than stock- even works for blocks that have had inserts before (the first size insert).

To learn more check out the "Northstar Repair without Inserts" thread or click the link below for more info.

http://www.northstarperformance.com/sgstuds.php

Hogg
12-04-08, 03:22 PM
I have personally had 1 of these studs in my hands. I really think that Jake is onto something here. So much better to have a stud in the block, then you arent torquing a headbolt into aluminum threads while under tension.

Good work Jake.
peace
Hog

97EldoCoupe
12-04-08, 03:32 PM
Thanks Hogg! :thumbsup:

[NortHStaR]
12-04-08, 06:11 PM
Amazing idea, you sir have a great mind :worship:, i will be ordering a set for my current repair project!

97EldoCoupe
12-04-08, 07:49 PM
Thank you Northstar, order anytime.

Ranger
12-04-08, 08:52 PM
I remember a great, lengthy and somewhat heated debate between our old Guru and someone about this very issue (studs vs bolts). Too bad it is probably not in the archives any longer.

97EldoCoupe
12-04-08, 10:20 PM
Here's what ARP says about studs vs. bolts. Of all people, and all companies, they know what they're talking about.

"Studs provide more accurate and consistent torque loading. Here's why. When you use bolts to secure the head, the fastener is acutally being "twisted" while it's being torqued to the proper reading. Accordingly, the bolt is reacting to two different forces simultaneously. A stud should be installed in "relaxed" mode - never crank it in tightly using a jammed nut.

If everything is right, the stud should be installed finger tight. Then, when applying torque to the nut, the stud will stretch only on the vertical axis."

This is exactly right. But the threads on the nut have to be able to handle the required torque- ordinary nuts cannot be used- they won't handle the torque. Included with the kits is special nuts with increased length (more threads holding the torque) and meeting SAE J995 grade 8 standards. On top of the "torquing" nut I install special self-locking nuts torqued against the first nuts- the heads will never, ever work the nuts loose going through the heat cycles.

IXSLR8
12-07-08, 08:27 PM
I have Norms steel inserts off ebay and ARP studs in my 96 Northstar engine. They work great as a combination.

Studs are better overall for the reasons stated. In addition to that, you have the advantage taking heads on and off a number of times without worrying about the threads in the block wearing.

Norms inserts and ARP studs are cheaper by about $100 over these stud kits. But, there is something to be said about having less parts and it saves you a bit of time using a complete insert/stud combo all as one unit...not to mention the drilling jig that comes with the stud kit. That's nice to have to keep it accurate with drilling.

Sounds like a good idea. It will be interesting to see some time pass with these units in service and to see how they hold up to comparable ARP studs and steel inserts.

I understand that Cadillac Hotrod fabricators uses studs as well for the NA and blown versions of the N*.

houstonvett
10-11-10, 06:34 PM
I have a 1998 Deville,,,I need to buy a stud kit asap,,,,,call Robert,,,auto max houston,,,713-778-8040 thankyou

97EldoCoupe
10-11-10, 06:50 PM
Hi Robert, I'll be in my office in a short while (less than an hour) - I'll process the order. It's Thanksgiving Day in Canada today, I haven't been in the office much.

Thanks!

-Jake

ThumperPup
10-11-10, 09:31 PM
Hi Robert, I'll be in my office in a short while (less than an hour) - I'll process the order. It's Thanksgiving Day in Canada today, I haven't been in the office much.

Thanks!

-Jake

its turkey day in Canada and you didn't invite any of us ?
not that i could get into canada but still u know an invite would be cool LOL

happy turkey day Jake

97EldoCoupe
10-12-10, 01:04 PM
Thanks Pup - sorry, forgot to invite y'all. Although the bird was delicious!

ThumperPup
10-12-10, 05:16 PM
Thanks Pup - sorry, forgot to invite y'all. Although the bird was delicious!

tell us more how about the stuffing OMG your making me hungry

hey jake tell you what stop the order on the block and studs and put it in your truck or trunk one of the two drive it to Beachwood Ohio on our turkey day and you can come over for thanks giving we can work on the car all morning long from say midnite till 7pm the next day when dinner will be ready after we get the engine doen then we go inside get stuffed and drink LOL

Submariner409
10-12-10, 06:31 PM
tell us more how about the stuffing OMG your making me hungry

hey jake tell you what stop the order on the block and studs and put it in your truck or trunk one of the two drive it to Beachwood Ohio on our turkey day and you can come over for thanks giving we can work on the car all morning long from say midnite till 7pm the next day when dinner will be ready after we get the engine doen then we go inside get stuffed and drink LOL

Damned if this doesn't sound like a fishing trip...................:sneaky:

ThumperPup
10-12-10, 06:37 PM
Damned if this doesn't sound like a fishing trip...................:sneaky:

hey what you trying to say

97EldoCoupe
10-13-10, 11:48 AM
I'd love to Pup - I do have to drive to Ohio soon - real soon - so I may be able to swing by and drop the block & studs off but I'll have to check my schedule. Unfortunately it seems I have to account for every 5-10 minutes of my time these days.

I am actually on the road right now (my dad's driving) on my way to the Livonia (Northstar) engine plant to see what I want to buy.... there's original prototype crankshafts there too! Microscopes, bore micrometers, automatic parts washers, oh you name it. CNC honing machines.....I can't really afford to take the time to go but I can't really afford not to either - this is a one time deal. Robotic arms, magnetic drill presses (big ones)... If I were a kid; this would be a candy store. A lot of this equipment, if prices are right for my budget, would free up some of my tightly scheduled time and increase productivity.

As soon as I get back I have to call the freight company and see if I can get an update on the current location of one of my customer's engines. I haven't heard from the freight company and he's been really patient.

Man I miss the speed limits in the USA -

vincentm
10-13-10, 12:29 PM
You can always mail me a kit for my bday today lol

ThumperPup
10-13-10, 03:44 PM
I'd love to Pup - I do have to drive to Ohio soon - real soon - so I may be able to swing by and drop the block & studs off but I'll have to check my schedule. Unfortunately it seems I have to account for every 5-10 minutes of my time these days.

I am actually on the road right now (my dad's driving) on my way to the Livonia (Northstar) engine plant to see what I want to buy.... there's original prototype crankshafts there too! Microscopes, bore micrometers, automatic parts washers, oh you name it. CNC honing machines.....I can't really afford to take the time to go but I can't really afford not to either - this is a one time deal. Robotic arms, magnetic drill presses (big ones)... If I were a kid; this would be a candy store. A lot of this equipment, if prices are right for my budget, would free up some of my tightly scheduled time and increase productivity.

As soon as I get back I have to call the freight company and see if I can get an update on the current location of one of my customer's engines. I haven't heard from the freight company and he's been really patient.

Man I miss the speed limits in the USA -

Hey i can understand that for sure
well if you swing by Ohio just let me know we can meet up somewhere

im still working on the rest of the Money to pay Power train automotive i just gave them my credit card for the block and studs so they could order it and atleast have the parts in probably gona take me like a month to come up with another 2k that im still short on the job and all

so not sure if they talked to you yet about when the block and studs will ship but i think i told them that you where not shipping till like the 15th or something like that