: BBOB - thermostat?

bobvondutch
06-24-04, 05:50 PM
Bbob: you and I have been conversing back and forth regarding my 97 Eldo ETC and the overheating - remember I passed the pressure test on the cylinders. I still have to take the hose off that comes from the surge tank to the thermostat housing and make sure it's clear.
I read on another post about replacing the thermostat with only a GM product - does it really make that much of a difference??? I got mine at Autozone, went in and asked for a replacement for the car, so I'm guessing I got the right one :hmm:

Need your opinion, because if that hose isn't plugged I'm out of ideas, and will have to road test and cross my fingers!!

BeelzeBob
06-25-04, 02:02 PM
I like the OEM parts, obviously. No idea what that aftermarket thermostat is like.

I never trust a thermostat, though, even if it is a brand new OEM stat, if the engine is overheating. There is such a thing as a bad, brand new thermostat.....

Easy to check, though. Take the stat out and put it in a pot of water on the stove and heat the water. You can just watch the stat and see it open as the water heats to a boil. It should open in a heated pot like that at about 195 or so I would say. If the thermostat valve doesn't clearly open at temps before boiling then replace it. Check the new one as well before installing it.