: Transmission--How does it work?

Roswell256
06-24-04, 01:18 PM
This might sound like a noob (newbie) question for those mechanics out there. But what happens to an automatic Transmission when it is put in P that keeps the vehicle from rolling? i've always wondered that.:hmm:

Thanks
-Roswell-

majax
06-24-04, 01:43 PM
You can learn everything about a automatic transmission by going to the link. But basicaly a parking-brake mechanism engages the teeth on the output to hold the car still. This is the section of the transmission that hooks up to the drive shaft -- so if this part can't spin, the car can't move.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automatic-transmission1.htm

Stoneage_Caddy
06-24-04, 07:09 PM
it makes cool noises when you do it at 35 mph in a rented "all new chevy corsica" ....man that was a long time ago

RBraczyk
06-24-04, 11:22 PM
Lmao

elwesso
06-24-04, 11:32 PM
ive heard that in our GTP.... Its the most hiddeous noise youve ever heard.....

Vesicant
06-24-04, 11:52 PM
Can you replicate the noise in words?

Since erm... transmissions, you know... they are a little expensive to replace...:p

Stoneage_Caddy
06-24-04, 11:55 PM
thats why you rent cars !

hard to replicate in words , kinda like a screwdriver stuck in a high speed garbage disposal , a sound that no good things can come from

LacSeville
06-25-04, 12:30 AM
ghrtttbghrtttbghrtttbghrtb.... well, maybe no "b"... well, maybe no "g".... :hmm: dammit, you try it then

BeelzeBob
06-25-04, 01:31 PM
The parking pawl is purposefully designed so that it will not engage at speeds much above a crawl....

I wouldn't make a habit of it but you can put the trans gear selector in "park" driving down the road at any speed without harming anything at all.

The parking pawl just "buzzes" loudly as it skips over the teeth or slots in the parking drum. No real harm done. The real "danger" is not getting the lever cleaning into park or out of park in the process...if it ends up in reverse it will go into reverse and since you have to pass reverse to get to park..there is always that chance that you might miss.....LOL.

Roswell256
06-25-04, 01:43 PM
I was always afraid of that when I drove a friends explorer. When I sit in it the gear selector rests right on top of my knee when in D. If I were to hit a bump I could just imagine it ending up in R and byby tranny....hello screwdriver stuck in high speed garbage disposal.

I'm pretty sure that is what the transmission would look like too when I was done.

Dead Sled
06-26-04, 12:41 AM
I was always afraid of that when I drove a friends explorer. When I sit in it the gear selector rests right on top of my knee when in D. If I were to hit a bump I could just imagine it ending up in R and byby tranny....hello screwdriver stuck in high speed garbage disposal.

I'm pretty sure that is what the transmission would look like too when I was done.

there should be a detent between D N and R so you *shouldn't* be able to do that

Spock
06-26-04, 03:40 AM
Put It In H! Put It In H!