: How to drop the cradle?

Carvone
11-28-08, 06:56 PM
I searched many of threads that say to drop the cradle, but I have yet to find a write up on this procedure. Some say it's not hard, so exactly how do you just drop the cradle??

BTW I am trying to replace the ac evaporator and it is impossible without more room ( I have tried ) so if anyone knows how to do this I would gladly buy you a beer or thirty. Really don't want to pay over a thousand for something when I have the parts sitting in my garage.
Thanks

jeffrsmith
11-28-08, 07:53 PM
You should update your profile for your year and model car, the procedure for changing evap can/does vary from year and model.

Carvone
11-29-08, 10:54 AM
It's updated Jeff, now do you know how to drop the cradle?

zonie77
11-29-08, 05:28 PM
Look here...it's in tech tips

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/5052-n-head-gasket-repair-part-i.html

zonie77
11-29-08, 05:29 PM
Make sure you read the whole write up. It will save you a lot of time.

There are more threads, Tateos had one a few months ago that has a lot of tips in it.

Ranger
11-29-08, 08:18 PM
I looked for that damned thing in the Tech Tips and I'll be damned it I could find it. Did Tateos post his in the Tech Tips? If not, link it here and I'll copy it there.

jeffrsmith
11-29-08, 10:15 PM
Try this link:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips/109556-guide-head-gasket-replacement-98-cars.html

When I dropped the engine out of mine I followed the instructions in this one, the one that TATEOS' wrote up and Zonie's.

Is it necessary to drop the complete cradle or can you just lower the front of the cradle to tilt the engine far enough forward to have access to the firewall?

ewill3rd
11-30-08, 08:06 AM
It is pretty easy, you just have to get the car supported by the body and put a jack under the center rear of the cradle.
Don't remove the front bolts, remove the rear ones, and before you start I'd disconnect the intermediate shaft from the steering gear so you don't pull on the column.
From there it is just removing the rear cradle bolts and then lower the jack under the cradle to get the room you need.

jeffrsmith
11-30-08, 12:36 PM
I thought that you changed out the evaporator by pulling the dash and accessing it from inside the car.

Are you having trouble getting to the connections on the firewall to disconnect the refrigerant lines?

Sorry, but I have never worked on an Eldo, I know that if I had to replace mine in my Seville I would lower the front of the cradle so the engine rotates forward to give more room at the firewall to disco the hoses, then go inside and remove the dash to gain access.

zonie77
11-30-08, 01:25 PM
Carvone,

Make sure the cradle is supported before removing the cradle to body bolts.

ewill3rd
11-30-08, 05:20 PM
inside/outside, depends on the body and the year.
Some of those older ones were accessed from the engine compartment.

Carvone
12-01-08, 06:35 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I tried to access the evap from the inside, got as far as removing the heater core and realised the HVAC module would have to be removed, which means removing the entire dash / console.

I can access it from the firewall but it has to swing straight out and the evap is rather large, the cam gear is right in the way.

Dropping the front cradle to roll it forward looks to still not be enough room and dropping the rear of the cradle would mean removing the exhaust, steering coulumn and other things that look impossible to access.

The motor needs to be dropped 6-8 inches and it seems a little more than I can accomplish in my garage.

I have all the parts to rebuild the ac, even have a vacuum pump, just can't get to that darn evaporator.:ill:

zonie77
12-01-08, 10:04 AM
Dropping the rear of the cradle should not be that hard. The steering has a coupler under a rubber boot. The exhaust has a connector. You only need jacks to get it high enough.