: Wheres my coolant going????

bng113
11-28-08, 12:14 PM
My check coolant light level message shows, I fill the coolant tank, then 3 days or so later the light comes on again and i have to refill it. There is no visible leak *Garage floor clean as a whistle*. What could be the issue? I'm afraid to think that the head gaskets are abaout to pop on me. The car has 106k on it. IF ANYONE CAN HELP I WOULS APPRECIATE IT

Submariner409
11-28-08, 12:33 PM
Your poll is so well discussed as to be moot. There are literally telephone books written in here, Seville, and Deville on the subject. Some pre-2004 Northstars use a quart every 1,000, some at 1,500, some at 2,000, and so on. I get, faithfully, 3,500 miles to a quart of 5W -30 and I am not gentle with the gas pedal.

W hat sort of car or truck are we diagnosing here ???

Read the oil advice in the Cadillac Archives in the black bar at the top of the main page.

If your coolant usage is as stated, you already have headgasket failure. Guaranteed. (If you are filling the coolant to the top, cold, that's your problem. Only fill it halfway, cold.) Where does your temperature gauge run ?? 12 o' clock, or way above that ??

bng113
11-28-08, 12:53 PM
Thanx for your response. My gauge is dead center *digital* its a 2000 deville. I'll try filling it up according to your instruction but thats just me "last hoping" lol. Thanx again

Submariner409
11-28-08, 03:27 PM
This has been posted to death, but.......