: Who's cheating death at the malls today?

tman2093
11-28-08, 02:40 AM
I'm not! Nobody had any good deals on anythign I'm interested in.

Apple's Mac sale leaves to be desired, no discounts on the Mac Mini. I'll just get my 15% off from an instore buddy.

Wheres everyone going? Or doing instead of going on Black Friday?

Jesda
11-28-08, 02:45 AM
I'm poking around online for deals on Macs. I just switched from Vista to XP, which helped, but ultimately I want another Apple computer.

I did BF in 2005, 2006, and 2007 (I think... the recent past blurs together), but this year I'm opting out. Too cold, too many people, and I've been sleeping earlier.

dkozloski
11-28-08, 03:16 AM
I went to Fred Meyer and got a jar of Miracle Whip salad dressing.

tman2093
11-28-08, 03:42 AM
I did BF since 2005 like Jesda, the companies are hurting too bad to have any ridiculous deals. Best I can find is a mac Mini for 544 at macmall. Who knew replacing a PowerMac G4 tower would be so hard?

93DevilleUSMC
11-28-08, 04:19 AM
I'm hitting Wal-mart and maybe a local mall to do some Christmas and personal shopping. The Wal-mart lines alone are murder on a normal day, much less Black Friday.

urbanski
11-28-08, 05:29 AM

says the man who lives on teh edge :D

Rodya234
11-28-08, 05:46 AM
I just got the parts to piece together a computer that would have a MSRP of about $2000 for 400 bucks :D newegg ftw.

mighty_quad4
11-28-08, 10:08 AM
I just got the parts to piece together a computer that would have a MSRP of about $2000 for 400 bucks :D newegg ftw.

when, from 5 years ago?

prices on the C2D processors have been steady and the only things tht have come down in price is ram and video cards. if you buy decent brand name items youre not gonna get away with a computer thats under $600 unless youre using some shady stuff and $600 is even pretty low.

dont get me wrong, i commend what youre doing. i have built many computers for myself and my friends. i use newegg almost exclusively. but if you only spent $400 then you dont have a very powerful computer. even the store bought $2000 computer would most likely be faster.

Sandy
11-28-08, 10:17 AM
Wife & I are just getting up, at 9:15 AM. 24 Y.O. son & girlfriend got up at 3AM and left for some store's 4AM opening with "Door Buster Specials" ~
Frost warnings in hell on the day I do that!! My birthday is Dec. 13th & both Son & wife already have what i wanted. I am all set. Wife likes $$$$ to buy what she wants, herself. Son also likes $$$$$ 'cause he wants what he wants... makes it easy on me. E'one likes $$$$ One size fits all, y' kno ! :)

c5 rv
11-28-08, 11:14 AM
I'm with Sandy, except I can't sleep past 7:00.

Spyder
11-28-08, 12:11 PM
I woke up on my own, no alarm, at 3:44 this morning. And again at 4:45, and again at 7:15. Closed my eyes each time. Now I'm eating leftovers, drinking coffee and trying to find the number to the gym so I can call and see if they're open. That'll be my trip to town. Probably come home and work on the Challenger after that.

The Tony Show
11-28-08, 12:27 PM
I need to go to Sears and buy some slacks on lunch break, and I'm dreading dealing with all you freaking bargain hunters. :rant:

RightTurn
11-28-08, 12:51 PM

GASP!!!! Koz, you are the ultimate risk-taker. :coffee:

RightTurn
11-28-08, 12:51 PM
I need to go to Sears and buy some slacks on lunch break, and I'm dreading dealing with all you freaking bargain hunters. :rant:

Pics? :D

Oh, and RT the black-belt shopper is staying home today. However, hubby did venture to Sears and Lowes in search of power tools. (Yes, I said it.)

Submariner409
11-28-08, 12:59 PM
I, like Sarah, am not performing a mall run.......sitting here hunting and pecking, sucking on a cup of 0700 coffee, stuffing an onion/garlic/peanut butter bagel into my face. Carve the remainder of 18 lbs. of turkey and start all over later this PM. :cloud9:

Karen, daughter, granddaughter will brave the masses. Shop 'till ya' drop.

ryannel2003
11-28-08, 01:17 PM
The only thing I've done today is go out and get some food, but otherwise I'm staying at my grandfather's house until this afternoon. I'm not going out into the hell thats called Black Friday.

BTW, anybody looking for a Mac should check out MacMall or even Best Buy. Had the base $999 MacBook going for $899 in several spots. Also, the refurbished section of the Apple Store has some great deals.

dkozloski
11-28-08, 01:19 PM
GASP!!!! Koz, you are the ultimate risk-taker. :coffee:
Actually the sewer pipes were frozen under my daughters' house here in Anchorage and the sewage from the toilets was backed up into the tubs. The trip to acquire salad dressing was an attempt to escape the chaos of a house full of hysterical women and sewage, an unbearable combination.

RightTurn
11-28-08, 01:23 PM
Diabolically clever move on your part, Dave.

The Tony Show
11-28-08, 01:43 PM
Well, that was a frightening experience. :shudder:

orconn
11-28-08, 01:46 PM
Actually the sewer pipes were frozen under my daughters' house here in Anchorage and the sewage from the toilets was backed up into the tubs. The trip to acquire salad dressing was an attempt to escape the chaos of a house full of hysterical women and sewage, an unbearable combination.

Sounds like an opportune time to escape back to Fairbanks!

gary88
11-28-08, 01:53 PM
The Wal-mart lines alone are murder on a normal day, much less Black Friday.

Literally

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20081128/NEWS-US-USA-HOLIDAYSALES-DEATH/

All I'm doing today is getting coffee, going to the post office, then going to the gym later. The less contact with the outside world the better today.

MauiV
11-28-08, 02:17 PM
The wife and I are both fighting illness. Im not leaving the house but the $29 shop vac a Lowes is damn tempting.

tman2093
11-28-08, 02:56 PM
Ryan: What is on sale in the Mac Community is not what I want. MacMall has the mini at 544, I know I can get it cheaper, especially since I need to buy a 100 dollar adapter to run my adc monitor....

gdwriter
11-28-08, 03:26 PM
I've never done Black Friday. I may be cheap, but I value my sanity more.

In my family, we draw names for the adults. I got my sister, and her list was easy. Bought the movies and flannel sheets she wanted at Target last Sunday. Also got the toys for my 4-year-old niece and nephew. For my older nieces, the items on their lists I can buy online.

I'll likely spend today finishing grading on my class that ended this week and the class that ends on Monday. The weather is supposed to be good for the weekend, so I'll put my Christmas lights up tomorrow, and I've already got a tee time to play golf Sunday.

I might go by Lowe's sometime tomorrow or Sunday to get the last door knob for my closet, since I forgot that one when I replace all the other ones in my house last weekend. Otherwise, forget it.

Eric Kahn
11-28-08, 03:32 PM
I went to Dicks sporting goods to get some ammo but they were out due to the black friday coupon, just have to make due with the 4000 rounds I already have :)

Jesda
11-28-08, 04:12 PM
As a non-Christian family we never really celebrated Christmas so my parents bought us New Year's gifts to not feel left out. And I didn't have to get a darn thing for anyone else. It rocks.

Now, as a matter of tradition, I don't give anything to anyone.

gdwriter
11-28-08, 04:54 PM
As a non-Christian family we never really celebrated Christmas so my parents bought us New Year's gifts to not feel left out. And I didn't have to get a darn thing for anyone else. It rocks.

Now, as a matter of tradition, I don't give anything to anyone.Nice excuse, you cheap bastard! :histeric:

Submariner409
11-28-08, 05:13 PM
Not quite malls/Black Friday, but www.autogeek.net is having a sale on their lines of detailing and car care products.

Use code SANTA20 for 20% off everything and free shipping over $95 order.

Krashed989
11-28-08, 07:01 PM
My gf dragged me to the mall at 4:30 this morning... I'm tired, shopped too much... Needed football attire. It would have helped me plow through the crowds a little easier. Wall mart was absolutely insane. The line to get into wallyworld stretched all the way around the building. When I got inside I felt like I was in one of those circus acts where they pack like 100 people into a 2 door sports car.

Rodya234
11-28-08, 07:22 PM
when, from 5 years ago?

prices on the C2D processors have been steady and the only things tht have come down in price is ram and video cards. if you buy decent brand name items youre not gonna get away with a computer thats under $600 unless youre using some shady stuff and $600 is even pretty low.

dont get me wrong, i commend what youre doing. i have built many computers for myself and my friends. i use newegg almost exclusively. but if you only spent $400 then you dont have a very powerful computer. even the store bought $2000 computer would most likely be faster.

Ok I admit, I didn't buy a WHOLE computer, I used a lot of the hardware from my old pc that I made two years ago. But under the hood it's very good for what I paid for it:

CPU: AMD Phenom 9950 X4
HDD: 640GB;7200.9 RPM SATA 3.0gbs
RAM: 3gb of DDR2 800 (3gb is the 32-bit OS limit)
GPU: ATi HD4870 1GB
SPU: ASUS Xonar DX1 PCI-E sound card
Still Running Win XP Pro.
DVD Drives, Case, PSU, speakers, monitor and input devices all came off my old pc.

I'm a gamer, so every year or so I'm hunting for a new computer. It usually takes about 6 months before I compile enough parts for me to consider that I've got a new computer. If you watch newegg for a long time you can really catch some great deals, especially around this time of year. The RAM was 20 bucks, HDD was $40, the video card was $120 and the CPU was only $150

93DevilleUSMC
11-28-08, 08:01 PM
Literally

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20081128/NEWS-US-USA-HOLIDAYSALES-DEATH/

All I'm doing today is getting coffee, going to the post office, then going to the gym later. The less contact with the outside world the better today.

Wow. :cookoo:

Human beings gathered together with one object in mind and no leadership turn into cattle: no thought, just irrationality.

gary88
11-28-08, 08:04 PM
I'm sure it was over this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/gheb88/Picture1.jpg

93DevilleUSMC
11-29-08, 03:52 PM
I'm sure it was over this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/gheb88/Picture1.jpg

Wow.

blue07cts
11-29-08, 04:59 PM
Wow.

HOLY CRAP!!!!!! i needs me somma dat!!!! even though most wal marts are 24hour now i bet i can get in there if enough of us stampede!! man my mom is gonna looooove those towels!!:cookoo:

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
11-29-08, 05:43 PM
Literally

Yeah, heard about that. It's friggin horrible that that guy died just so some jerkoff can save $20. That is exactly why our store opened its doors at midnight but did not start selling Blitz merchandise until 5.

On the other note though, my store made a crap load of money yesterday. I went through the computer and was looking stuff up before I left at 9:45 pm. Gross sales in electronics alone was $217,000 (it was up to $150,000 in just 3 and a half hours). Toys was about $49,000. HBA (perfumes and makeup ect.) was about $29,000. Register #68, which is the one back in electronics, had $36,000 of merchandise rung up on it. Register #11 up front had $32,000 of stuff rung up and get this. $9000 of it was paid in CASH!