: Cluster Question - Low Oil Pressure

furluvcats
06-24-04, 03:33 AM
94 Cadillac Deville Concourse 180k miles.

Ok....I have read up on all of the problems with the Low Oil Pressure and tried the quick fixes before taking it to the shop. I was intermitently getting the Low Oil Pressure Stop Engine message until 2 days ago when it came on permanatly and will not shut off. I am not very mechanically inclined so I didnt want to change the sending unit myself. I got a good recomendation on a mechanic and took it in for him to do the job. He tested the Oil Pressure and said it was fine. He actually said it was at 25 and if I remember I think it should only be around 10 on the N*. Anyway, he changed the oil sending unit and said that it appeared that is where the majority of my now very serious oil leak was also coming from. THat was good news because I thought it was in the oil pan and the repair (which I was NOT going to have done) was in the $750 range for removing the engine and such. Anyway, that was the 1st bit of good news. Unfortunetly it was the last. The fix did not correct the problem. He suggested looking at the wiring and then the cluster if it was not in the wiring. The cost would be anywhere from 1 hour to several hours and I have no clue what a cluster repair would cost. My question is this.

Is he on the right track with this?
Is there anything I can do at this point or is a mechanic my only choice?
How much should I expect to pay for a cluster?

Wish me luck, I am going to try to give it a tune up tommorow morning. Never have done that before but with all the good advice on here, I think I can do it.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Brian

furluvcats
06-24-04, 11:21 PM
well I did my tune up. Everything except for the wires and the fuel filter. Will doe the fuel filter tommorow. The wires are on order. I would say it is running 80% better. I will do the spray bottle to the packs tonight to see if there is a spark there. I did expect it to run very smooth and I am still getting a few little jumps here and there.

I am still getting that low oil pressure signal and would appreciate if anyone knows if I should have the wiring checked and possible the cluster replaced. I have no idea what to expect if they say to replace the cluster. Any help would be apprecitated.

Thanks
Brian

Anthony Cipriano
06-25-04, 02:11 PM
well I did my tune up. Everything except for the wires and the fuel filter. Will doe the fuel filter tommorow. The wires are on order. I would say it is running 80% better. I will do the spray bottle to the packs tonight to see if there is a spark there. I did expect it to run very smooth and I am still getting a few little jumps here and there.

I am still getting that low oil pressure signal and would appreciate if anyone knows if I should have the wiring checked and possible the cluster replaced. I have no idea what to expect if they say to replace the cluster. Any help would be apprecitated.

Thanks
Brian

Highly unlikely that it's the cluster. I would check the wiring at the oil pressure warning switch. Possibly a bad switch was installed. Was the part the OEM oil pressure switch from GM or an aftermarket replacement? If it was an aftermarket part you should invest in the GM OEM part from Cadillac before going further. Some of the generic aftermarket parts have different switch points for the oil pressure warning lights. The Northstar does not have much oil pressure at idle (purposefully designed this way) so the switch must be the correct one for the Northstar engine. A generic part will often not work.

If the switch was failed and leaking oil then possibly the wiring or the connector at the switch was damaged and that is the problem. It shouldn't be too difficult to find the issue looking at the wiring in the immediate area of the oil pressure switch.

furluvcats
06-25-04, 02:29 PM
Highly unlikely that it is the cluster.....

I would check the wiring at the oil pressure warning switch.
I will check on what part was used. I do not know if they used original or generic. Is the switch and the oil sending unit the same thing? They replaced the oil sending unit but did not say anything about the switch. Is the wiring something I can look at and if so, where is it located?

Thanks so much. You have no idea how much I appreciate the help. Wifey wants to get rid of my baby and this all may be saving her.

Brian

Anthony Cipriano
06-25-04, 04:27 PM
The oil pressure sending unit/switch is the same part. It's just a switch in your case I believe as there is no oil pressure readout to require a sending unit that is used with an oil pressure gauge.

jcdsog
06-25-04, 04:59 PM
from what i can gather the pressure switch is next to where the filter is screwed on. try checking there.

gust_1980
06-28-04, 03:03 PM
i had the same warning come on in my 94 sls. i had it checked out and my pressure was fine. all i did was buy the oil pressure sensor for a few bucks and it fixed the problem, no more warning messages. not sure if it helps though, just sayin ya know....

furluvcats
06-28-04, 04:48 PM
Well the wireing was checked and all is fine. They are recommending a $750 replacement of the cluster at this point. I told them that I would have to think about this one and maybe just get rid of the car.

I forgot to ask if they used a GM sending unit or if they used an aftermarket replacement. If they did use an aftermarket, I would like to know for sure that replaceing it with a GM would solve the problem. I don't want to throw more money at the sending unit since it was already replaced.

Is there any way to test the cluster to see if it is working properly?

FlashRed
06-30-04, 01:15 PM
Check your oil level. Where you adding oil because you thought you had a oil leak. If so that might be the problem. Give you caddy an oil change. Maybe this will work.

eldorado1
07-01-04, 01:25 PM
If you want to try another pressure switch, I have one here that I don't need... pulled off a 95. LMK if you're interested